Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

CPTSD and nightmares

SailingFox August 18th, 2023

I’m no longer in an abusive home and safe with friends, but I still have nightmares. Is this normal? Does this happen to anyone? Will they stop? 😓

mytwistedsoul August 18th, 2023

@SailingFox I'm glad you're safe now. It is completely normal to have nightmares and flashbacks after you're out of a bad situation. Some times things can ease on their own and then get triggered by something. It could even be months or years later. It might be helpful to you to find a trauma informed therapist to help you work through what happened and of course having support helps too :)

I wish you all the best on your healing journey!
SailingFox OP August 18th, 2023

Thank you so much, @mytwistedsoul ! I couldn’t understand because for so many (until lately anyway) I had dreamless sleep which I welcome because it means I wouldn’t be afraid to fall asleep. I’ll get a therapist as soon as I am financially stable, I promise 😭💜

mytwistedsoul August 18th, 2023

@SailingFox No thank you necessary 💙 but you're very welcome. It can often be like that. Everything is finally calm and we feel safe and then our brains decide to bring things to our attention. Gosh I do relate to that being afraid to fall asleep. Until you're able to get a therapist I hope you'll find cups to be a safe haven

KatePersephone August 18th, 2023

@SailingFox hi there! experiencing flashbacks and nightmares is totally understandable and valid. a lot of people who have gone through traumatic experiences deal with these things. and it is possible to work through them, especially with the help of a therapist! wishing all the best for you friend <3

SailingFox OP August 18th, 2023

Thank u, @KateDoskocilova 💜