Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Letter to Self

VioletNotes July 13th

Hello! (I'm Violet)

TCR can have some silly conversations… and as we were discussing whether or not love letters are still “a thing,” @CommunityModAnne told us that we should all write a letter to ourselves! I think that can be a great way to slow down and get out whatever feelings you have towards yourself. 

Here are some things you could maybe write about:

• What can I forgive myself for?

• What do I like about myself?

• What encouragement can I offer myself? What do I need to keep working on?

• Where do I see myself in 5, 10, 20 years? And how can I get there?

• Whatever else you can think of!

Feel free to keep your letter private, save it for your future self to read, or share it here! I’ll share mine soon to get the thread going. Update me on your progress! What are you writing about, if you don’t want to share the entire letter? How did it feel to write it all out?

And so, in honor of Anne, you could start it like she suggested! 

Dear Self, Mod Anne the tea cup on 7 cups told me to write to you…

Tagging people in the room for the discussion: @reliablebunny23 @versatileWhisper1571 @KiminoSuizouwoTabetai @Anycat123 @dinosaurBlitz @CommunityModAnne @Apeatrice @Heartsandrosesandpaws

And some other people too: @DingoOliver @PastaIsVeryUnderrated @MickMoss @Noor511 @DarkerPlaces @theboymoana

Apeatrice July 13th

@VioletNotes

Aww this is an awesome idea fr...(Soz but i m out of this...alex's frouting rn)

Hugs fr

VioletNotes OP July 13th

Here's my example!

img-20240713-123932651_1720892509.jpg

[Dear Self,

Mod Anne the tea cup on 7 cups told me to write to you... so I'm going to listen, because Anne is pretty cool. I'm right on the verge of a whole new life! In 10 short months I'll be 18 and away for college, so here is a letter for my future self - who I know will be scared moving away for university.

Self, you are on track to be valedictorian and your test scores are in the top 2%, so I know you got into the school of your dreams (Boston University). Even though you're a small-town Kansas girl, I know you'll keep up in that big, bright city. 

Stick to your dreams. I know your passion for improving the human condition will shine through as you begin your studies in international relations. You've got this, me.

With Love,

Your past self! ]

If you don't want to actually write a letter, when's a time that you have written a letter? Or what would you write about if you did? Hypothetically? 

ReganL July 13th

Oh my gosh Violet!! I love your hand writing, I could never! I truly love this idea, I think it’s awesome I’ll have to do it latter.

@ReganL

Seconded! Beautiful handwriting <3

lightandhope51 July 13th

@VioletNotes that's soo cool violet i hope it goes well for your future slef too 💗

CommunityModAnne July 17th

@VioletNotes you do cursive better than 4th grade me! Well done

Gettingbettertoday July 18th

@VioletNotes

That looks painful. I doubt I could write more than one line per sitting. 

daydreammemories July 18th

@VioletNotes 

Great letter :o ❤️✨

Noor511 July 13th

@VioletNotes i don't have any idea about what to write soooo ill try to think of it and ill post it when it's ready 

DingusOlivia July 13th

@VioletNotes I'll try to remember to do this! I'll be thinking of what I can write...

reliablebunny23 July 14th

@VioletNotes I wrote a letter to myself and it actually made me feel lighter and understood (understood by my own self). ❤️ This was an wonderful idea. Here's the letter :

Dear self, 

Mod Anne the tea cup on 7cups told me to write to you, so here's me writing a true and lovely letter to you.

I know you more than anyone else in the world do. So, I want to tell you that I know how sensitive you are and how things affect you. I have heard all your silent cries. I care for you even if anyone else does or not. I understand you even if no one else comprehends. I know that you weren't at fault for all those things but still got blamed. I can see how badly hurt you are, even if no one else tries to see. I know how many traumas and difficulties you are going through. And, I'm proud of you for staying so strong even after going through so much. I do not know, how, where, and in what condition you will be in next 5, 10, 20 years, healed or unhealed, joyful or terrible. But, I know you will always keep trying and you will never give up. This is what I love about you the most.❤️ I hope you heal and come out stronger and happier from everything. I love you, self

Lots of love,

Self

VioletNotes OP July 14th

@reliablebunny23 I love this one bunny ♡ it makes me really happy that you can recognize your triumphs even if others won't. I really do think you're doing amazing, and I wish your 5, 10, 20 year older self the world.

reliablebunny23 July 14th

@VioletNotes

Thank you so much, Violet 💗 You're so sweet..💗✨

amiableBunny4016 July 14th

@VioletNotes

Dear self, Mod Anne the tea cup on 7cups told me to write to you. I know what you are thinking. I know your past haunts you every time it crosses your mind, and what could my younger self say that could be so possibily important? right?

But there is no one else in the world that knows you better than I do. I am your younger self after all. I am that little child, in your heart seeking your love and affection, seeking a place of refuge, a place to feel safe and happy and be myself again. When people come in and out of my life, I make places for people in my heart, but I never made a place for myself. A place for you. I take a piece of the memories and the moments I spend with people and build it into my own heart because I know what its like to feel broken, but you have to hold on to that little bit of hope somehow.

I never imagined, you would come this far or if you ever will come so far but wherever you are right now, whatever you are doing or whatever your feeling, embrace it. Honour everything you feel. I couldn't be more proud of the girl you have become.

Look at your life. 5 years... 10 years.... 15 years...20 years... and heavens know how many years are coming after that. You've made it so far. When your on a journey, you will fall, but never look back. Just keep walking forward. If you look back, only the darkness of your past will torture you. 

You've fought so many monsters and demons in your head, you've fought for a future thats your own now. No one can beat you up or hurt you. No one can yell at you or tell you its all your fault. Its just you. You don't have to live in the fear of being unsafe in your own home anymore. You live in the grace of knowing your safe under your own roof in the happiness of your own heart.

I know you hated these words growing up, because it was *** for you. But your younger self hated it too. But this isn't from a stranger, or from your mom or your dad who never loved you or from a friend. This is from YOU. Your younger self. The person you once were. But I want to tell you...

I love you. 

Lots of love,

Your Younger Self.

VioletNotes OP July 14th

@amiableBunny4016 Your writing is always stunning. You put everything to words in such a beautiful way. Thank you for showing yourself compassion. At least when you say it yourself, you can trust it. 

Noor511 July 14th

@VioletNotes

Mod Anne the tea cup on 7cups told me to write to you, so here's me writing a true and honest letter for you with all honesty i don't think you are doing better probably worse but you know those stuff made us who we really are and shaped our personality to the fulllest, i hope you made it through senior year and into college no matter if takes longer than expired you still made it and that's what counts. 

Something inside keeps telling me that it Will get easier and i hope it did for you even though i don't totally believe it but make sure to never lose track of that voice its whats keeping here it is your hope the fuel " am not okay now but i know one day I will " the only thing you can do is hold on tight on it until that day comes it might take long but that's okay 💗

Also don't get lost in the darkness of your thoughts and how loud they are to make you forget about enjoying the small moments of laughter and joy with ppl you love and don't forget about the ppl who loves you i know you might think you are " unlovable" but it's wrong and deep down you know you have a lot of friends but you are scared of leaning on them for a little while and chose to suffer in silence every time . I hope one day we will be able to change that in ourselves but tell then it's okay not to be okay and plz ask for help when needed . 

With lots of love younger you 💗

VioletNotes OP July 14th

@Noor511 Thank youu for writing a letter, Noor! I like how you acknowledged that things might still be hard, and you might still need time before things are better. It's admirable that you can give yourself grace while you're going through life and doing your best.

Noor511 July 14th

@VioletNotes thanks violet 💗

CommunityModAnne July 17th

@VioletNotes love this spark of creativity and the amazing way you've all used my inspo + starting sentences 💖 The highlight of July

Hopeprovider6771 July 18th

@VioletNotes dear self ,it’s okay if you make  mistakes ,everyone does so don’t blame yourself for everything enjoy your life and work hard to achieve your goals no matter what happens I’ll be proud of you in the future and I believe you can do it 

VioletNotes OP July 18th

@Raneem6771 thank you for being so kind ♡ ...... to yourself ^^♡♡

Hopeprovider6771 July 18th

@VioletNotes thank you too for giving us the chance to express ourselves 

Isma0720 July 18th

@VioletNotes I'm unlovable

CrescentSkylar July 18th

@Isma0720

You're loveable, unique and special.

purpleSea7109 July 18th

Hi wow welcome to nice handwriting. How are you? Chat later. I am just a click away.Xx 

@VioletNotes

Yayy a wonderful idea , I have been writing letters to self since last year , but haven't wrote anything in a while , will surely write one sometime soon .

Thank you for your reminder for me , to remind myself to write ♡

VioletNotes OP July 18th

@incredibleRainbows2036 Yayy twinkle, I love that it's a habit already! I'm sure your letters are lovely

CrescentSkylar July 18th

@VioletNotes

Dear Self, Mod Anne the tea cup on 7 cups told me to write to you,so here is my letter.

You're so unsure of how things will go in the future,you're scared of the unknown, everywhere feels dark and you are clueless about the way forward. You have  thought it's because someone is always making that very important decision for you,but I am happy that the present you has learned to be responsible for your own actions and choices,so I am here to tell  you that I am proud of you,you did well baby girl.

I know you have really made some bad choices which left you with scars but it's time to let go,it's time to forgive,it's time to stop the self hate.

You're stronger than you can ever think and I am sure there will always be a way somewhere, just keep on searching, never ever give up dear.

I hope you really find that one thing you are good or talented at,something that will make you happy,someone who loves you for you.

In 5 years time I hope to see you healed, fulfilled,accomplished and happy.

You can do this Tee.

VioletNotes OP July 18th

@CrescentSkylar cheering you on right along with you <3 

GoldenRuleJG July 18th

@VioletNotes This is a fantastic idea - very thought provoking questions Violet! :) 

Trigger it's a bit unhinged 

Dear self,

I always look to the future but now I want to speak to my past. I knew how I felt about getting older. Also the strong feelings I had about my parents. I know we all make mistakes and they did too and it's not always funny. You don't always look back for a laugh, sometimes you just look back to the many moments you felt bleak. I think about how helpless it all was and I couldn't get out of my head. Well, I'm out now. I'm out of my head and it is a painful world and sometimes you're not ready to take it on with others the way you always expected. In fact you're alone a lot and it's really freeing. Strangers don't hurt you the way friends and family do, it's more safe, but it's time to let people in again. I know you filled pages and pages of diaries, I have to tell you that you've let it all out. All the fears and all the crazy. You know exactly what's wrong with you and you're not taking crap from anyone. You don't take your pain out on yourself. You look at the mirror everyday and love every part of yourself even when other people don't. You pick yourself up well and you're not even faking it anymore. You're you. You're not trying to be anyone else. Life's been hard. It's hard to cope with it all. I always thought I lacked courage, but it's hard to get up everyday the way that I do. With all that's wrong with me (and I get to say that people treat me differently every day I'm allowed to say I'm different without it being a pity party). I've gotten through so many challenges all I am is capable it's ableists that that are stupid for not learning to see things from a new perspective. I thought my realizations and growth would make me more graceful but being there for yourself Is messy. My family pushed me down. They never accepted me for who I am, for my abilities, my opinions, my sexuality, etc. I've taken crap from lots of people. And I don't care what anybody thinks about me, my respect is earned. Everything is going to change for you, just be along for the ride and trust yourself and follow through, it's ok if you're wrong sometimes.

VioletNotes OP July 18th

@unassumingPeach6421 this speaks volumes to your resilience. I'm glad that you can feel that empowerment - you've definitely earned it!

wandamx26 July 19th

Dear Self, 

I was told to write to you so wherever you are, whatever you doing, I hope you are listening. 

Things have been really difficult lately ever since you quit that job with no future job lined up. It hasn't been easy finding jobs which isn't really surprising considering how difficult the job search process is. 

But I believe you will get through this. You have gone through this before, and you came out victoriously. I mean you have gone through so many challenges that you conquered them all. 

Trust me, you will get a new job. There is a company out there that will hire you and you will be the perfect fit. You just got to keep applying and hope the job search ends soon. 

I also want to say good luck with dealing with your family on top of that. I know they have a lot of issues especially your dad. But as long as you don't do anything that will **** him off, you will survive. Just stay away from him as best as you can. 

I hope that when you are reading this you are already working at a new job that will hopefully last long term and will support your mental health which you so value. 

And keep working on your personal blog, Pressure Shock. You have some really good content, and I can't wait to see your next post. 

Well that is all for now. I hope all goes well and you take care of yourself. 

-Self

VioletNotes OP July 20th

@wandamx26 I love the encouragement ♡ like you were speaking to a good friend

wandamx26 July 21st

@VioletNotes That is ironic because I don't have a lot of friends. 

VioletNotes OP July 21st

@wandamx26 I know it's not always the same, but I hope you can find some here. You seem great and definitely deserve someone to support you ♡

Gettingbettertoday July 21st

@VioletNotes

I have never been given encouragement from anyone including family and friends. 

VioletNotes OP July 21st

@Gettingbettertoday What about from yourself ? While we're on the topic

Gettingbettertoday July 22nd

@VioletNotes

I was quite Stoic in my youth. I thrived on challenges and opposition. If you pushed me I would push back harder until I won. I always assumed I could win either because I was Technically Right, Morally correct, Smarter, more Skilled, or had access to special recourse's. In other words I thought I was superiors to most other humans. This requires a level willpower/drive I no longer possess.

I have gained a modicum of humility since then. I still think I am smarter than most. What is different is that I don't believe this makes me better then anyone else. 

VioletNotes OP July 22nd

@Gettingbettertoday That sounds like encouragement enough, to recognize your strengths but keep them in balance with empathy. I like the idea that we can continue to learn about and grow while maintaining positive skills and keeping in mind that that's what they are - skills. I'm glad you recognize you have attributes that set you apart (and maybe even above, in some cases).