Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book, movie - The Firm, by John Grisham

ReadBooks7 February 28th, 2023

BOOK CHOSEN

The Firm

by John Grisham

Would anyone be interested in picking a book, movie, or show to read or watch and then discussing themes, plot elements, characters, etc., here? I don't have a lot of free time but when I do, and to keep my brain distracted, I read and watch psychological thrillers and/or dramas. It'd be great to have discussion with people who are interested 💚

MistyMagic February 28th, 2023

@Help127 We are looking at starting a Book Club, so you are very welcome to help with that! I think perhaps a Movie Club sounds pretty great too as not everyone has the time to read a book but they will often put the tv on or watch a movie.

It has been suggested that we combine the two so book of the movie, movie of the book? Twilight springs to mind or Hunger Games, Harry Potter etc?

Would you like to help us get organised?

Join the Hobby Zone Team Here

Listening - One Step At A Time!

ReadBooks7 OP February 28th, 2023

@MistyMagic thank you! I don't have a lot of free time right now, so I'm not sure if I can help out with organizing or joining the team, but I'll give it some thought. I admittedly don't usually read or watch the more mainstream book or movie series. I do read/watch legal or psychological thrillers, mysteries, etc. Thank you again!

@Help127 That's ok. Can you name a few legal psychological thrillers, mysteries, etc?

@MistyMagic I really enjoy reading John Grisham and Michael Connelly books. Jodi Picoult is more of a suspense writer who tackles a variety of relatable issues, but she is my favorite. I recently discovered an author named Brian Freeman who is great. Heather Gudenkauf is another excellent author.

@Help127 I used to buy all of Grisham's books! and watch all of the films too!

@MistyMagic he is a brilliant writer, and the movie versions are well done, too!

calmSky3414 March 20th, 2023

Have you read Defending Jacob by a new author, William Landay? They made a showtime show out of it, but I haven’t watched it. He’s coming out with a new book in April. It’s one of my all time favorites. Family drama, legal, crime and psychological thriller/mystery. Lots of twists. It’s excellent.

ReadBooks7 OP March 20th, 2023

@calmSky3414 that book is amazing! I wanted to watch the show but I'm pretty sure it was on a streaming service I don't get. I would love to read the book again and also watch the show if I can access it somehow.

InaraR45 February 28th, 2023

Hi, @MistyMagic!

I've been going through a mental slump these days and can't find anything encouraging enough so I think this would be a great place to stimulate my brain, learn new things, and familiarize myself with different opinions.

I don't think I'll be of help in organizing anything but I would love to be part of the discussions.

Thanks for the opportunity.😊

@InaraR45 it looks like this post is generating a bit of interest, so I'm thinking I might wait and see if any others are interested and then put out some suggestions for a book, tv series, or both, so that whoever wants to can discuss here. Thank you! I'm encouraged to see people interested 🙂I also look forward to seeing how the mentioned book club shapes up.

@InaraR45 Welcome and congratulations on your first post! What do you read/watch etc?

InaraR45 March 1st, 2023

@MistyMagic, I usually enjoy Ghibli, Korean crime series, underrated KDramas, slice-of-life animes, etc.

And I haven't picked up a book for a while but I'm considering starting to read philosophy. The last book I started was Dorian Gray and I still haven't finished it. I have never touched a fantasy book, so I'll be delighted if someone introduces me to a good fantasy novel.

ClassicSher March 2nd, 2023

I think movie club is a great idea. I have degrees in English Lit and Film Studies MAs and a History BA but due to chronic illness I don't get the chance to really talk about these passions anymore. There are a lot of great movies in the thriller genre across time and even just some older underlooked or forgotten ones Double Jeopardy, The Fugitive, Classic Hitchcock movies to newer stuff but would be nice to mix up genres so there is something for everyone. There are many movies based on books but feels like a seperate group to me as many more not and not everyone has time for both.

ReadBooks7 OP March 2nd, 2023

@ClassicSher I think a movie club would be great, and you mention some excellent ones!

RavenclawFan March 17th, 2023

@MistyMagic

I love The Hunger Games and Harry Potter lol

adventurousBranch3786 February 28th, 2023

@Help127. I am interested in psychological thrillers and drama also. I would be interested in this type of discussion.

@adventurousBranch3786 Great! Do you have any titles in mind ?

adventurousBranch3786 February 28th, 2023

@MistyMagic. I recently read The Silent Patient it had an ending that really shocked One that has a movie and a book is Girl On The Train.

@adventurousBranch3786 The Girl on the Train is an amazing book. The movie was great as well!

@adventurousBranch3786 thank you! I'm thinking that since there is some interest, I might wait another day or so to see if others are interested, and then throw around some suggestions. I am also open to suggestions. I tend to rewatch series and movies I like a lot to study the elements, acting, etc. So I already have many to suggest 🙂

@Lou73 in case you are interested or know anyone else who might be 😊

Lou73 March 1st, 2023

@Help127 Thank you for the tag! :D I also love Heather Gudenkauf and Diane Chamberlain but it's been a while since I've been able to focus enough to get through a book 😂

ReadBooks7 OP March 1st, 2023

@Lou73 Heather is fantastic! I am pretty sure I have read DC as well, but I would have to look up her books to jar my memory 😊

winniethepooh7256 February 28th, 2023

@Help127

yesssssss

@winniethepooh7256 great! Thank you! I will see if I can come up with some ideas and have them ready for tomorrow 😊

winniethepooh7256 March 1st, 2023

@Help127 perfect

faithfulSpring5057 March 1st, 2023

@Help127 I like to watch Yellow Stone . Who else watch it and want to discuss it

@faithfulSpring5057 I have heard it is a really good show! I have not seen it. I usually watch Netflix or Hulu because I can stream things anytime when my schedule allows. I wonder if I could do that with Yellowstone.

Hi everyone! I have a few ideas for books, shows, and movies. I will present a few options and see what you all think.

There is an excellent Jodi Picoult book called House Rules. I would love to read it again, so that's one option.

The Firm is both a book and a movie, so I thought maybe we could first read the book, then watch the movie.

A really interesting psychological show is called The Undoing with Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman, and Donald Sutherland. (There is a little bit of violence but from what I can tell, they try to limit it to what is needed to show the plot.) I can access it via Hulu or HBO.

Let me know what you think about those options or if you have other suggestions for now. We can all come to a consensus, or we can have more than one group of people reading or watching different things.

Thank you!

SolitaryBird March 1st, 2023

@Help127

Hi! They look great to me! Personally, I didn't know any titles and looked them up on the internet. Very interesting plots!

adventurousBranch3786 March 2nd, 2023

@Help127. The book House Rules sounds vet interesting.

I saw The Firm many years ago, but I never read the book. I could definitely read it and see the movie again.

@adventurousBranch3786

*very interesting.

Sounds great! I have read all the new messages today, and I am just super tired as it is the end of a really long day for me, so I will read and reply in more detail tomorrow. Thank you all so much! I really look forward to our first pick! 😊

KittyMinnatWearsAHat March 2nd, 2023

@Help127

I’m a big fan of American Psycho if you’d like to discuss that!

@KittyMinnatWearsAHat the movie is a bit more graphic than I usually like to watch, but I've read some interesting takes on the main character and whether or not he's a reliable narrator. It's an interesting thought for sure!

Hi again, everyone! Thank you for all of the interest in this post. I'm wondering if we could start off with a book and movie combination, and then go from there, and maybe incorporate some of the other suggestions after our initial choice.

How would everyone feel about first reading the book The Firm, discussing it, and then watching the movie version?

@Help127. Sounds good to me 😊.

SolitaryBird March 2nd, 2023

@Help127

That's okay with me.

Adeline12345 March 2nd, 2023

Hey am interested! Do keep posted (:

Hi again everyone! Thank you for all of the feedback! I hope I have been able to reply to everyone directly, or at least in one post generally as is appropriate. (Forgive me if I have not. I am struggling mentally today.)

It sounds like we are going to start with reading The Firm by John Grisham. I am really looking forward to reading and discussing! Please everyone let me know when you have a copy and are ready to begin, and we can set up a timeframe for when to discuss. Of course, anyone can post here at any time, but I am thinking that it would be best if we wait, say, a few days or a week to discuss where we are and what we think of what we have read so far, in order to (hopefully) avoid spoilers or getting too far ahead in the plot.

All suggestions are welcome! I do hope that others will join together via this post if they see other things they want to read and/or watch and discuss that we might not currently be focusing on; please feel free to comment here as well if you like!

Thank you all again! Happy reading! 😊