Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mega Members - Introducing a new role for members!

Heather August 25th, 2016

Over the past few months, we have been experimenting with member leadership activities or teams. Some examples of this have been members leading discussions, member forum friends & other group support badges which indicate leadership or excellence from a member.

These teams/ projects have been not been as successful as we would have hoped. Laura & I have been thinking a lot about our dedicated awesome members and how they fit into our ecosystem, project teams, or other structured teams/groups.

We have realized that members & listeners have different levels of ability to participate in the community. One way to think about this is: listeners are in giving mode & members are in receiving mode. Listeners are here to provide support & members are here to receive support. They have inherently different intentions for participating.

On the listener side of the house, we have done a great job engaging listeners to help with volunteer projects which advance our mission & increase support giving across the entire community. We have not done this as well on the member side of the house.

One thing we know for sure, we have some really awesome, dedicated members. Our listeners & the 7 Cups community experience have filled up these members gas tanks enough, so they are able to give back to the community in special ways. They reply to forum threads, they attend group discussions, they have listeners who they chat with regularly, they say hello to community managers, the post on the feed daily, they offer suggestions on how to improve the member community..etc. We have all encountered these awesome members & we love them.

This suggests that members need to receive a certain amount of support from the community in order to start giving back to the broader community.

You may be wondering, why dont these members just join the listener community?

The short is, they arent ready or they have & they prefer the member side of the house. Our hypothesis is: Members need to be proactively & regularly receiving support from the community in order to start giving back to the community in more dynamic ways.

Knowing this, we need to continue to experiment where long term member fit in into our ecosystem. In this vein, we are excited to launch the Mega Member badge. This badge will be awarded to members who have been selected by the community management team.

They are members who are regularly taking growth path steps, talking to listeners as members, but also contributing to the community in special ways.

What will a Mega Member do?

They will keep being awesome. We will not be giving them any formal tasks beyond asking them to intentionally maintain a 50/50 balance between receiving support & giving back to the community.

What will this look like?

Receiving support (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Chatting with listeners, attending group discussions..etc.

Giving back to the community (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Well ask them to pick one focus areas. It can be anything of their choice. Ex. Feed hashtags, a forum category or a specific forum thread they always reply to, co-leading a group support session with a listener or any other specific item they are interested in. It is up to them to select the area they want to focus on.

How will the Mega members be selected?

To start, since we are still experimenting, Mega Members will be selected by the community management team. We will pick up to 6 for this first group. They are selected based on:

✦ How long they have been members of 7 Cups community
✦ They already have an area of focus or a place in the community they like to give back to
✦ They are known by community management staff & entire community as being kind, trustworthy and loving

In the first 2-3 months, we will be experimenting with this first group. In time, we hope to learn how the mega members take this role on, what they like about it, what they dont like about..etc. With this data, we will improve the application process & encourage more members to join in.

You can nominate a Mega Member by posting to this thread. We will formalize this process soon!

AffyAvo February 8th, 2017

@TheHuggleMonster

Fair enough, hopefully there will be some more teen members added to the group!

February 8th, 2017

@AffyAvo

@WhimsicalDancer

@WhimsicalDancer

I think you would do a great job!

February 9th, 2017

@AffyAvo

Aww thank you <3

Sasher February 7th, 2017

May peace be unto you.

After reading the original post, I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to carry on doing what I do, or whether more would be expected of me, or fully understand what mega member entails? I like working as a member, because I feel I can be myself, be flexible, work in a situation where there's less pressure to preform, and won't be condemned for making a mistake.

I understand the intention of monitoring, and it's probably something I'd forget about, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable being monitored. heart

@Sasher

There hasn't been a huge difference between what I was doing before the badge and now. We have had a few meetings as well as offered to give feedback on some things. If you have specific questions you can ask and I (and likely the others) will do our best to answer.

If it's not a role you're comfortable with though, no pressure! You can continue on as you have, supporting others as you have been without it. If I could have PMed everyone instead of publically posting I would have.

Sasher February 8th, 2017

@AffyAvo Don't worry about it, I don't mind. I thought it was just a mega member room key to be honest, if it's not much different I don't mind but I can't take on to much more responsibility at the moment. heart

@Sasher @AffyAvo I should of also tagged @Heather in the above post also. heart

February 7th, 2017

As seeing proactive involvement in the community, I would like to nominate @lucidpanic and @Astrolily for Mega-Member! heart I wish good luck to both of you! ^_^

Sasher February 7th, 2017

I would like to nominate @GeorgeBest for being the most understanding and consistently supportive member that I have seen in the support groups to date.

February 7th, 2017

@Sasher

Thank you :)

smiley you're welcome @GeorgeBest

Peace be unto you all. I would like to nominate @SpinyNorman for guiding members to goodness and @OhanaSystem for being supportive and kind to other members smiley

@ohanasystem

ohanasystem February 8th, 2017

@Sasher
Aww, bless. Thank you, dearheart! <3

Sasher February 9th, 2017

@ohanasystem you're welcome heart

crimsonMelon8700 February 9th, 2017

This project is fantastic.

TortueDesBois April 19th, 2017

Hey there @Heather !
As myself is a mega member and able to identify members who also are very active, kind and supportive on 7cups, I would nominate @HalliwellSister who is here for a long time now, always welcoming and sharing opinions in different forum categories, such site updates and healthy living categories, and who regulary join the support sessions too. Due to their implications very appreciated on 7cups, and their excellent work as forum member leader, I think they would be very good in this role.

Hopeful0001 April 19th, 2017

@TortueDesBois

Thank you :o

BurkeDevlin April 19th, 2017

@TortueDesBois Seconded, enthusiastically and vigorously. @HalliwellSister puts a lot of personal time, effort, and commitment into supporting others and making this site a better place to visit.

April 19th, 2017

@TortueDesBois I agree! @HalliwellSister would be perfect for Mega Member 💙

Hopeful0001 April 19th, 2017

@essdee

awww thanks!

crimsonMelon8700 April 20th, 2017

This is good.

ItsPreeti July 1st, 2017

I would like to nominate @sensitiveShade,@Nick1218 and @WadeWilson89, @emotinalMaple

WadeWilson89 July 1st, 2017

I would like to start of by thanking @JovialOne for nominating me for this megamembers role I not 100% sure what this entails but I will do what is asked of me. I did see something about specialization in Heather's post and would love to co-lead mindfulness group discussion and maybe do the book forums as I am interested in reading books.

Once again thank you for believing in me @jovialone I won't disappoint. smiley

ladylazarus1971 July 1st, 2017

It's been a little while and I hadn't seen that anyone was "posted" to this position. What's the status of the MegMember program?
I'm a curious lady....

Anomalia March 8th, 2018

I would like to nominate @Windflowers

They go above and beyond in supporting the ED community with events and generally being an incredible help and beam of sunshine throughout 7 Cups! <3

Dajamsnack March 31st, 2018

I would like to nominate @macWilliams as a megamember he is so encouraging and supportive and understanding. He welcomes everyone and makes them feel safe :)

Aubrynn April 28th, 2018

I nominate @gracekitty and @lucidpanic for being so supportive at all times at Anxiety Support and Depression Support respectively.

greenYard2803 August 12th, 2021

@Heather thank you