Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mega Members - Introducing a new role for members!

Heather August 25th, 2016

Over the past few months, we have been experimenting with member leadership activities or teams. Some examples of this have been members leading discussions, member forum friends & other group support badges which indicate leadership or excellence from a member.

These teams/ projects have been not been as successful as we would have hoped. Laura & I have been thinking a lot about our dedicated awesome members and how they fit into our ecosystem, project teams, or other structured teams/groups.

We have realized that members & listeners have different levels of ability to participate in the community. One way to think about this is: listeners are in giving mode & members are in receiving mode. Listeners are here to provide support & members are here to receive support. They have inherently different intentions for participating.

On the listener side of the house, we have done a great job engaging listeners to help with volunteer projects which advance our mission & increase support giving across the entire community. We have not done this as well on the member side of the house.

One thing we know for sure, we have some really awesome, dedicated members. Our listeners & the 7 Cups community experience have filled up these members gas tanks enough, so they are able to give back to the community in special ways. They reply to forum threads, they attend group discussions, they have listeners who they chat with regularly, they say hello to community managers, the post on the feed daily, they offer suggestions on how to improve the member community..etc. We have all encountered these awesome members & we love them.

This suggests that members need to receive a certain amount of support from the community in order to start giving back to the broader community.

You may be wondering, why dont these members just join the listener community?

The short is, they arent ready or they have & they prefer the member side of the house. Our hypothesis is: Members need to be proactively & regularly receiving support from the community in order to start giving back to the community in more dynamic ways.

Knowing this, we need to continue to experiment where long term member fit in into our ecosystem. In this vein, we are excited to launch the Mega Member badge. This badge will be awarded to members who have been selected by the community management team.

They are members who are regularly taking growth path steps, talking to listeners as members, but also contributing to the community in special ways.

What will a Mega Member do?

They will keep being awesome. We will not be giving them any formal tasks beyond asking them to intentionally maintain a 50/50 balance between receiving support & giving back to the community.

What will this look like?

Receiving support (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Chatting with listeners, attending group discussions..etc.

Giving back to the community (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Well ask them to pick one focus areas. It can be anything of their choice. Ex. Feed hashtags, a forum category or a specific forum thread they always reply to, co-leading a group support session with a listener or any other specific item they are interested in. It is up to them to select the area they want to focus on.

How will the Mega members be selected?

To start, since we are still experimenting, Mega Members will be selected by the community management team. We will pick up to 6 for this first group. They are selected based on:

✦ How long they have been members of 7 Cups community
✦ They already have an area of focus or a place in the community they like to give back to
✦ They are known by community management staff & entire community as being kind, trustworthy and loving

In the first 2-3 months, we will be experimenting with this first group. In time, we hope to learn how the mega members take this role on, what they like about it, what they dont like about..etc. With this data, we will improve the application process & encourage more members to join in.

You can nominate a Mega Member by posting to this thread. We will formalize this process soon!

CoffeeDrinker247 January 26th, 2017

@TortueDesBois I misread it....my bad LOL

LittleAardwolf January 26th, 2017

I hereby nominate @captainhowdy. They are always kind, even though they have struggles of their own to deal with every day. They always brighten my day, as well as others I'm sure. Not only is howdy always there for others, other people love howdy too! Please consider giving Howdy a chance to shine :D

CaptainHowdy January 26th, 2017

@LittleAardwolf That is very very sweet of you @LittleAardwolf, but I would have to respectfully decline such a thing if it were to happen. Simply put I am not able to dedicate myself to the site and tasks that would be asked of such a role. I have to be honest. It really means a lot to me for you to nominate me though. **suphahugs**! :D

LittleAardwolf January 26th, 2017

@CaptainHowdy

Well it said on the front page they aren't really given any tasks ^^' but okay

RaCat January 26th, 2017

I am nominating @blossombreathe !!! Lauren is doing the amazing job as forum supporter and MST team member and I love to see how active she is at 7Cups. Also, she is reaching out the listeners to talk about daily events and to share the struggles. In my opinion, she is the best!

blossombreathe January 26th, 2017

@RaCat

Awh you're so kind Rasa! I do love participating on 7Cups. laugh Thank you so much! I hope you're having a lovely day. *hugs* heart

RaCat January 26th, 2017

@blossombreathe I can see you are enjoying it <3 Yeah I am having amazing day and I hope you do too :)

Erica January 26th, 2017

I would like to nominate @blossombreathe and @windflowers for this role :)

@Liv

Thank you so much for nominating me, you are so kind! As I said to @RaCat I love talking to people on 7Cups and trying to make a difference to others lives in a positive way but also seeking support for myself during tough times. I hope you're having a superb day! laugh*hugs* heart

windflowers January 27th, 2017

@Liv

Aw, thank you so much! This means a lot, Liv :) I hope you have a wonderful day!

Tryingtobenormalgirl12 January 26th, 2017

How do I nominate someone?

Juniper8 January 26th, 2017

I'd like to nominate @sam2410 .

#GoodLuck. ^^

calmpine3642 January 27th, 2017

@SarcasticAlien

yes !!! sam is a good member ! after guest support was removed and people in other groups were like gangs and did not let me join the conversation that made me feel lonely :( sam was the only person who welcomed me and talked to me ! he made me feel good. :)

i nominate sam2410 too.

AnyaS January 26th, 2017

I would like to nominate @blossombreathe for this role,

Thank you for all your hard work in our community, lovely! <3

@Sarra

Awh thank you so much lovely!! I sure do love 7Cups and helping others out. I hope you're having a nice day ^-^ *huggles* heart

AnyaS January 26th, 2017

@blossombreathe

*huggls tightly* <3 You are amazing, hun! Don't ever forget that!

SmileYoureWorthIt January 26th, 2017

I want to nominate @beachday2196

She has a beautiful heart, is always encouraging people in the chatrooms, and truly wants to take steps to her own success. She's an incredible person and member

TrooMoo January 26th, 2017

@The0Minator would be a great MegaMember, he is a really cool guy. Nuff said

FudgeIsNotDead January 26th, 2017

@TrooMoo

I agree!

January 26th, 2017

i'm definitely nominating @Celaeno

Celaeno January 26th, 2017

@FuturePsychologist2, thank you, lovely! In fact I've already been granted this honour of becoming Mega Member, alongside with AffyAvo, Moj, TortueDesBois, kailee316 and SimonTheGr8. Glad to hear that you still think I'm worth it ^^;

Best wishes!

wadd January 26th, 2017

Lovelyurie

Annaxelia January 27th, 2017

@Heather

i really love the idea. Sometimes member tend to feel like they a burden or taking time up ect because you are always listeniong to them. this project can help them realise they play just as an important role in the community and help encourange others.

originalscreenname January 27th, 2017

I nominate ( again ) @essdee ( EssDee ) as a megamember, she has been a tremendous friend to me and was one of the first kind people i met on here and is just a blast of rainbow sunshine awesomeness all around.

jr50 January 29th, 2017

@originalscreenname I agree , @essdee she is very kind and one of the first people to reach out to me! heart

originalscreenname January 27th, 2017

annnnnnnnnnnd i also nominate Want2StayHappy, a really great guy, very kind and supportive to people all around and a great friend.

January 27th, 2017

@originalscreenname I second that!

BurkeDevlin January 27th, 2017

@essdee Third. @Want2StayHappy is a member who always walks the walk around here.

Want2StayHappy January 27th, 2017

@BurkeDevlin

@essdee

@originalscreenname

aww thanks you guys (your checks for the endorsement are in the mail)cheeky

HopieRemi January 29th, 2017

@BurkeDevlin

i fourth this @Wants2StayHappy should be it !

@BurningEmber

if I could spell @Want2stayHappy

BurkeDevlin January 29th, 2017

@BurningEmber I think @Want2StayHappy and @essdee are each reaching a supermajority of pledged delegates. Might be time to print the T-shirts and corner the market.

@BurkeDevlin

You make the shirts, I'll clear a corner by wagging my firey tail. cheeky

SuperHope January 28th, 2017

@neonEyes6723

You would make a good Mega member!

neonEyes6723 January 31st, 2017

@AaronT5 haha thanks

benthomas January 28th, 2017

@Heather

i am nominating @sam2410 cuz he is supportive and kind.

cosmicdreamer08 January 28th, 2017

I nominate @Carrotcakefan to be a mega member. She is a wonderful, generous person who is always supportive of others.

Carrotcakefan January 28th, 2017

I wish to nominate @Essdee she is so positive and a great asset to the 35 room.

Carrotcakefan January 28th, 2017

I also want to nominate @rakas as he is friendly, supportive, positive and kind.

rakas February 2nd, 2017

@Carrotcakefan

I just wanted to say thank you very much, Carrot, if I'd been aware of this I would have nominated your fine self. But you don't need to be mega to be amazing, thank you again.