Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mega Members - Introducing a new role for members!

Heather August 25th, 2016

Over the past few months, we have been experimenting with member leadership activities or teams. Some examples of this have been members leading discussions, member forum friends & other group support badges which indicate leadership or excellence from a member.

These teams/ projects have been not been as successful as we would have hoped. Laura & I have been thinking a lot about our dedicated awesome members and how they fit into our ecosystem, project teams, or other structured teams/groups.

We have realized that members & listeners have different levels of ability to participate in the community. One way to think about this is: listeners are in giving mode & members are in receiving mode. Listeners are here to provide support & members are here to receive support. They have inherently different intentions for participating.

On the listener side of the house, we have done a great job engaging listeners to help with volunteer projects which advance our mission & increase support giving across the entire community. We have not done this as well on the member side of the house.

One thing we know for sure, we have some really awesome, dedicated members. Our listeners & the 7 Cups community experience have filled up these members gas tanks enough, so they are able to give back to the community in special ways. They reply to forum threads, they attend group discussions, they have listeners who they chat with regularly, they say hello to community managers, the post on the feed daily, they offer suggestions on how to improve the member community..etc. We have all encountered these awesome members & we love them.

This suggests that members need to receive a certain amount of support from the community in order to start giving back to the broader community.

You may be wondering, why dont these members just join the listener community?

The short is, they arent ready or they have & they prefer the member side of the house. Our hypothesis is: Members need to be proactively & regularly receiving support from the community in order to start giving back to the community in more dynamic ways.

Knowing this, we need to continue to experiment where long term member fit in into our ecosystem. In this vein, we are excited to launch the Mega Member badge. This badge will be awarded to members who have been selected by the community management team.

They are members who are regularly taking growth path steps, talking to listeners as members, but also contributing to the community in special ways.

What will a Mega Member do?

They will keep being awesome. We will not be giving them any formal tasks beyond asking them to intentionally maintain a 50/50 balance between receiving support & giving back to the community.

What will this look like?

Receiving support (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Chatting with listeners, attending group discussions..etc.

Giving back to the community (50% of the time they are on 7 Cups): Well ask them to pick one focus areas. It can be anything of their choice. Ex. Feed hashtags, a forum category or a specific forum thread they always reply to, co-leading a group support session with a listener or any other specific item they are interested in. It is up to them to select the area they want to focus on.

How will the Mega members be selected?

To start, since we are still experimenting, Mega Members will be selected by the community management team. We will pick up to 6 for this first group. They are selected based on:

✦ How long they have been members of 7 Cups community
✦ They already have an area of focus or a place in the community they like to give back to
✦ They are known by community management staff & entire community as being kind, trustworthy and loving

In the first 2-3 months, we will be experimenting with this first group. In time, we hope to learn how the mega members take this role on, what they like about it, what they dont like about..etc. With this data, we will improve the application process & encourage more members to join in.

You can nominate a Mega Member by posting to this thread. We will formalize this process soon!

Figgy50 August 26th, 2016

@sam2410 7cups go. Find certain memebers in chat.

sam2410 August 27th, 2016

@Figgy50 figgeh I was searching for you in rooms D:

Figgy50 August 27th, 2016

@sam2410 Ive been in guest support giving 7c virtual tours to guests :) showing them where to find stuff and offering coffee and donuts :D

sam2410 August 27th, 2016

@Figgy50 7cups go, i would be the weirdest member to find. XD

cherishedVision August 26th, 2016

@Rozabella I'd like to nominate you to be a mega member

Toomistarry August 26th, 2016

Whatever it is, i believe is going to be awsome

starforest August 26th, 2016

I'd love to do it but i don't think i have been here long enough.

Anth12 August 26th, 2016

This sounds like a really good idea hope it works well

Figgy50 August 26th, 2016

Can I have an official chat addict badge?

sweetrosa1987 August 26th, 2016

@Heather Awesome idea!!!! laughheart

cherishedVision August 27th, 2016

@ Rozabella I'd like to nominate you to be a mega member...

toughTangerine7283 August 27th, 2016

Yeah...good idea!

Toomistarry August 27th, 2016

Who ever it is. He / She deserve it. Congrats

blossombreathe August 29th, 2016

@Heather

Hello!

I would love to participate in this as I love 7 Cups dearly and spreading positivity makes me feel extremely happy! I progress on my growth path every day (or as much as i can!) And have made many friends and supported new comers. 7 Cups rocks and I believe that this idea will burst into a joyous celebration of members

Blossom x

blossombreathe September 4th, 2016

@Heather

Sounds like an awesome idea!! xx

blossombreathe January 26th, 2017

I nominate @windflowers

You are such a kindhearted person and your amazing work in the forum doesn't go unnoticed. winkheart

windflowers January 26th, 2017

@blossombreathe

omg this actually made my day! thanks so much lauren, you're awesome :)

MajesticBear January 27th, 2017

I second the nomination for @windflowers!

You'd make a great Mega Member yourself, @blossombreathe!

HarveyM January 26th, 2017

I nominate @blossombreathe

blossombreathe January 26th, 2017

@HarveyM

Awhhh you're so sweet Harvey! Thanks for nominating me. laugh *huggles* heart

HopieRemi January 26th, 2017

I think that @Countrygirl1231 @EssDee @BurkeDennis (If I spelled his username correctly) and @AffyAvos would make great megamembers

@BurningEmber

@AffyAvo

TortueDesBois January 26th, 2017

@BurningEmber but AffyAvo is already a mega member :D

@TortueDesBois

oh.... :O I .... blush Mega Mega Member?

AffyAvo January 26th, 2017

@BurningEmber Haha Thanks!

@AffyAvo

cheeky

@BurningEmber

@BurkeDevlin :) I think you would be great for this

BurkeDevlin January 26th, 2017

@BurningEmber I...I'm really honored. The amount of time (and love) I see some people - you included - putting into this community is humbling.

I have a place here to say things I've never been able to say anywhere else. I'll always try and give back what I can, when I can.

@BurkeDevlin

You are welcome! And you do very great ^^

January 26th, 2017

@BurningEmber Thank you for the nomination! 💕

@essdee

You are so welcome! heart

BurkeDevlin January 26th, 2017

I want to be on record as seconding the nomination of @essdee. She's mega beyond belief.

I"m @BurkeDevlin and I approve this message.

Want2StayHappy January 27th, 2017

I too would like to second @essdee for a megamember she is so supportive and a great asset to this site.

January 27th, 2017

Thank you @Want2StayHappy *feels the love* 💕 😊

January 27th, 2017

Thank you @BurkeDevlin. But I second Ember's nomination for you as well! You are always supportive and amazing to everyone. It's is very inspiring. Thank you for all you do! 😊

BurkeDevlin January 28th, 2017

@essdee Thanks so much for the kids words. I'm really humbled to even have my name next to the others in this thread.

I sometimes really wish this site and community had been a thing when I was 18. But of course the Web was nowhere near World-Wide back then!

BurkeDevlin January 28th, 2017

*kind words

AaliyahXOXO January 26th, 2017

I think @Catgirl2015 would be a great mega member! She has done so much for 7 cups and Still does :p

CoffeeDrinker247 January 26th, 2017

@Heather I want to nominate JaceofSpades and MissZ for the MegaMembers! They are both such knowledgable and awesome peoples :)

TortueDesBois January 26th, 2017

@CoffeeDrinker247 but they are listeners, not members !