Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

magicmango26 March 15th, 2022

@Andyallen

Thank you for sharing! I encourage you to embrace your creativity :) whether it be painting or singing or writing poetry, embrace it! x
wonderfulRainbow817 June 28th, 2021

@GlenM

What is your personality type? Your personality type is: Defender SFJ-T

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learned I make more decisions by what I am feeling which was interesting because I always feel like what I think is what I go with. I found out I am a judger, which is something I’m not exactly proud of as no one should be judged. Also I am drastically turbulent which is concerning for me. It is vital in the roles I am in on 7 Cups and my life job positions that I am confident in my ability, so that is something I need to work on.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

By being observant it means that I am open to looking at things from different perspectives and seeing why they feel the way they do. Introverted means keeping to myself, so I don’t share my thoughts all the time like I should. Judging involves judging others for decisions made. While that can be good, that can also be a bad trait.

LavenderFlower September 11th, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817
Hi there Rainbow! I really enjoyed reading through your post as it shows you have a great ability to step back and questions yourself. I think that's a really good quality to have in leadership, as it prevents us from acting irrationally. You mentioned you were not happy about being judging since you don't think others should be judged, however, judging doesn't mean that you judge others ^^ All it means is that you prefer to live your life in a more planned and organised way than on a whim and prefer to make decisions so that there is closure. I think being judging in this way can be a very strong personality trait to have as a budding leader, as you can stick to a plan and follow through with it.

June 28th, 2021

@GlenM
My personality type:
INTP-T / Logician

Things I learned about myself:
- I can be insensitive sometimes and underestimate the value of emotions.
- I am a curious person and always trying out new things.
- I tend to believe in truth rather than in ideas and beliefs.

My personality traits according to the test:
- Analytical: I analyse everything that comes across me like a plan or a human behaviour. It helps me to find the unexpected patterns, which other personality types might overlook.
- Original: I have a great imagination which helps me to come up with new and creative ideas, not all of those ideas are good though. But my willingness to think outside the box is remarkable.
- Open-Minded: I am full of curiousity and want to learn everything I can. I am receptive to new ideas and ways of doing things, as long as it is supported by sound reasoning.

ComradeRuhi August 3rd, 2021

@Hope2103
Hey Hope. :) I loved reading about your personality description. I think you've got some valuable traits that I hope you'll treasure. I know they'll take you far. <3

being curious is a wonderful trait! I also am extremely curious and love learning new things -- I encourage you to reach for the stars and know that you are capable of everything and anything!

Cazzy8752 July 1st, 2021

I did this yesterday but here I did it again as cant find my one from yesterday. Defender ISFJ-T

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@Cazzy8752 ooh, what're the strengths of those?

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@GlenM hello again

ENFJ-A

it seems as though i've evolved from being an ENFJ-T to an ENFJ-A, perhaps indicating that i've grown in the aspect where i'm not turbulent anymore.

charismatic: instinctively knowing how to capture an audience of hold someone's attention. the ability to shift the tone of their voice to fit the needs of the audience.

natural leaders: rather than seeking authority, a lot of protagonists have a strong, positive vision that allows them to step up, take control of the situation and handle it efficiently.

tolerant: (this one's pretty true haha and one i've worked on for a long time) the ability to listen to other people's ideas or thoughts no matter how tiring, how shocking and how contradictory they are to your own.

Harquinn909 July 12th, 2021

@milkoreos is very interesting to me how changing just a single element of this really changes the whole entire personality. I am an INFJ and my results are super different :)

It's fascinating!

Clarisse29 July 7th, 2021

@GlenM
ADVOCATE
INFJ-T

three things i learnt about myself:
1. i stand up for what's right
2. i am warm and sensitive
3. i need to have a personal sense of purpose in everything i do

strengths:
creative
insightful
principled

@Clarisse29 me too!! <3 Looking forward to reading more from you in this course!

AmazingDog96 August 16th, 2021

@Clarisse29 That is a really nice personality :)

1) INFJ "The Advocate" https://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality

2) I've taken this test before and what I learned then and was reminded of now is that I'm really sensitive to critisism. This is and always has been a major weakness of mine. It's hard in the moment to remember that someone isn't just being mean.. but reading these results reminded me that the sensitivity is on my side.

3) Insightful – Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an almost uncanny ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.

Principled – People with the Advocate personality type tend to have deeply held beliefs, and their conviction often shines through when they speak or write about subjects that matter to them. Advocates can be compelling and inspiring communicators, with their idealism persuading even the hardest of skeptics.

Passionate – Advocates can pursue their ideals with a single-mindedness that may catch others off guard. These personalities rarely settle for “good enough,” and their willingness to disrupt the status quo may not please everyone. That said, Advocates’ passion for their chosen cause is a key aspect of their personality.

explore1000 July 14th, 2021

I am a commander (ENTJ).

I seek personal growth and insapration. It is likley I can go in exsecutive positions in the work space.
I am efficent (can get things dine without a sweat), energectic (I like leading my team to victory), and self-confident (I trust my abilities).

sereneButton43 July 18th, 2021

1. What is your personality type?
INFJ-A (Advocate)

a. I do not take a proactive role in social groups. I keep forgetting that but personality tests do well in reminding.
b. I prefer rational thought over going by emotions although my response would be different depending on the context. In that way, I feel personality tests fail to account for subjectivity.
c. The differences in my Extroverted and Introverted percentage is insignificant and the questions highlight preferences rather than traits that are highly fluid. It helps to view results with a grain of salt and keep in mind that people adapt and personality remains stable to the extent we like and our environment demands us to.

a. Insightful
b. Altruistic
c. Passionate

Matteo2020 July 20th, 2021
Things I learned about myself:
- I can be sensative sometimes and take everything as a critasisim and underestimate the value of emotions.
- I am a curious person and always trying out new things.
- I belive that everyone has there own right to what they Believe in
Matteo2020 July 20th, 2021

1. What is your personality type?
INFJ-A (Advocate)

1 I tend to take things as a critasism
2. I have a very low self estem and often double guess myself when I say sumthing or do something

a. Insightful
b. Altruistic
c. Passionate

Ashvillium July 25th, 2021

@GlenM

The test is really adorable and precise and hereby reposting my results!
My personality type is:
Advocate
INFJ-T

I am a bit interovert, intuitive, emotional and emphatic person who loves helping others, gets sad often and sensitive to peoples behaviour. But still manages to handle the emotional ups and downs.

Main things I learned about myself is:
I have a unique combination of personality traits which makes me quite versatile.

My top three strengths/gifts according to the test:

Creativity, Imagination and sensitivity.

:)

@Ashvillium
I thought the test was adorable too hehe. It's so cool, because I've done the test a couple times before for school, and I literally got the same result which is crazy. I loved reading about your traits. I know you'll go so far. You have my support!

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please
My 4 letters are ENFJ-A (Assertive Protagonist)

I learned that my personality type revolved around a lot about doing the right thing, and I totally felt that. I didn't really recognize that bit in myself, but I noticed that I do tend to want to do the right thing even if it's not the easiest way out of things, as I reflect back, I also learned that my personality type is very helpful and likes to get involved, which is something I definitely like to do, but again, never really physically acknowledged about myself. This personality test really helped me realize a lot of things about me that I never really noticed before. I thought that was pretty cool.

My top 3 strengths are: Receptiveness, Reliability, and Altruism
In regard to receptiveness, I have strong opinions but I am far from being close-minded. I always, no matter what the view may be, love to listen and learn about others' and their values. I never have a problem with people that have averse opinions than me, which is a huge strength I have.
In regard to reliabilty, according to the test I am very reliable, and I do think that is accurate. People that trust me, must have gained my own trust, so I do absolutely nothing to shatter that. I am very loyal to those I hold dear to me, and I do think this is a powerful strength that I have.
In regard to altruism, a huge strength of my personality type is a strive to push towards positivity and good. I think this is an epic strength to have. There's a lot of bad in this world, but having a drive to create a positive force, is definitely a force to be reckoned with, and is a strength I'm glad to have,

​​​​​​​
September 7th, 2021

@iigotyourbackii

These are key qualities that make a great leader! You have such great strengths, and I wish you well in your leadership journey!

September 13th, 2021

@iigotyourbackii

These are key qualities that make a great leader! You have such great strengths, and I wish you well in your leadership journey!

LindenTea August 6th, 2021

@GlenM

INFJ- Advocate ^-^

I learned that I am very passionate about helping others and that I make decisions based on feelings over facts.

• Creative – Relating to or involving the use of the imagination or original ideas to create something.
  • Insightful – Having or showing an accurate and deep understanding.
  • Principled – Acting in accordance with morality and showing recognition of right and wrong.
bubblingBreeze14 August 15th, 2021

@SkyLindenHope

I guess your passion to help other is what brought you here! laugh Nice qualities @SkyLindenHope

Prachi9876 September 2nd, 2021

@SkyLindenHope
high-five!!
great to know to have someone similar to me here

@SkyLindenHope

it's wonderful that you love helping others xx it's a wonderful trait to have!
HannahPalm August 10th, 2021

ESFP-A

I didn't learn anything about myself. I know myself better than a pseudoscientific proprietary online test.

• Bold – Entertainers aren’t known for holding back. Wanting to experience everything there is to experience, people with the Entertainer personality type don’t mind stepping out of their comfort zones when no one else is willing.
  • Original – Traditions and expectations are secondary to Entertainers, if a consideration at all. Entertainer personalities love to experiment with new styles, and constantly find new ways to stick out in the crowd.
  • Aesthetics and Showmanship – Not stopping at mere outfits, Entertainers inject artistic creativity into their words and actions, too. Every day is a performance, and Entertainers love to put on a show.

@HannahPalm

Looks like you've got some nice personality traits! wink

@HannahPalm
You have an interesting personality! Wish you the best!

@GlenM

ENFJ-A

I learned that I was exactly who I wanted myself to be and in general I was a reflection of the qualities I’d love to see in people. Sometimes, with life situations we tend to forget who we are, what our true capabilities are and how beautiful we are from the inside.

I’m glad I took this test because it reassured me of what a beautiful person I am. blush

Assertive - This means self assured / confident and resistant to stress. They don’t worry too much, but this is different from apathy. According to the test results, “Assertive personality types learn lessons from their personal histories, but they see little purpose in entertaining the same regrets again and again.

Judging - This quality means clarity and closure, sticking with the plan rather than going with the flow. It’s as if Judging types always keep a mental checklist. According to the test results, “Whether a life goal or a response to an emergency, people with the Judging personality trait can develop a clear and actionable plan.

Feeling - This means that people with this quality follow their heart and emotions. These might be displayed differently at different occasions, but however they do it, Feeling personality type tends to be caring, compassionate and warm. According to the test results, “For those with the Feeling trait, decisions tend to be based on the well-being of others.

@bubblingBreeze14 It's very nice that you found out your personality is just the way you want it :)

bubblingBreeze14 August 16th, 2021

@AmazingDog96

Thank You heart

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please
My personality type is Campaigner, ENFP personality.

Main things I learned about myself from this personality test are that I am a good communicator and that I find joy mostly from helping others and when I share with others.

My top three strengths :
Curious-meaning that I am not afraid to venture and go out of my comfort zone, because I can find fascination in nearly everything

Perceptive- meaning that no one is unimportant to me, and that I can pick up the slightest mood change in people.

Enthusiastic- meaning that when something inspires me and captures my imagination I like to share it with people who listen and also that I like to hear other people's ideas

bubblingBreeze14 August 16th, 2021

@AmazingDog96

You yourself have some amazing qualities as well. It's great that you learned something new too :D You are unique and I believe that's what makes you who you are wink

@AmazingDog96
Curious and enthusiastic surprise
what a great combination

caringHope1976 September 5th, 2021

@AmazingDog96
Amazing qualities.

@GlenM
Absolutely excited to share :)

1. Personality type :

Advocate (INFJ)- A

2. The main things I learned about myself

- I have fears that I know are irrational
- I believe modern human beauty standards are unrealistic
- go to great lengths to avoid stress

3. My top 3 strengths/ gifts according to this test?

- I am PASSIONATE- I pursue my ideals and my values adamantly and rarely settle for anything less =D
- I am INSIGHTFUL- I typically like to get to the depth of any issue and understand the nuances. I believe the world is rather grey than Black/white.
- I am ALTRUISTIC- I usually think about how my actions affect others, and their goal is to behave in a way that will help the people around them and make the world a better place. (Context: I am very climate conscious)

caringHope1976 September 5th, 2021

@Prachi9876
I also belong to the same personality type. So nice.

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@GlenM

1. ¿Cuál es tu tipo de personalidad? Incluya sus 4 letras por favor

Mediator- INFP-A

2. ¿Cuáles fueron las principales cosas que aprendió sobre usted mismo?

I was impressed I learned that I am a highly sensitive person and that I could be very reserved and shy, I think I look really dreamy and proud

3. ¿Cuáles son sus 3 principales fortalezas o dones de acuerdo con esta prueba? Por favor descríbalos.

• Empathetic – Mediators don’t just care about other people in an abstract sense. These personalities can actually feel another person’s emotions, from joy and elation to sorrow and regret. Because of this sensitivity, Mediators tend to be thoughtful and kindhearted, and they hate the idea of hurting anyone, even unintentionally.
  • Generous – Mediators rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They feel called to share the good things in their lives, give credit where it’s due, and uplift the people around them. These personalities want to contribute to a world where every voice is heard and no one’s needs go unmet.
  • Open-Minded – Tolerant and accepting, Mediators try not to judge anyone else’s beliefs, lifestyles, or decisions. This is a personality type that prefers compassion to fault-finding, and many Mediators feel empathy even for those who have done wrong. Because they’re so accepting, Mediators often become confidants for their friends and loved ones – and occasionally for total strangers.

wow!