Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

healingWhisper June 21st, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions

I think it was really accurate! Almost everything seems to be true. What about for you? :)

FlourishingDimensions June 22nd, 2021

@healingWhisper I thought so, too! It was almost eerie how accurate it was laugh

FlourishingDimensions June 20th, 2021

My personality type is Mediator INFP-T.

-
That because mediators' emotional attunement is a huge strength, it's super important to establish boundaries to avoid the risk of possibly absorbing other people's negative moods or their negative attitudes. This is something I started to focus on a couple of years back, realizing I needed to do this and how important boundaries really are. It is cool and interesting to see why this is, and also validating in a way? I figured I sort of just wasn't good at boundaries before, but this makes me feel better in knowing more about why they are so important. If that makes sense?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

- Empathetic
Mediators actually feel other people's emotions. Due to this, Mediators are more likely to be thoughtful and kind.
- Generous
They want to make sure everyone's voice is heard and that they give credit where credit is due.

- Open-Minded
Mediators try not to judge. They are compassionate and accepting.

BecauseImBatman22 June 21st, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions
Loved reading your post :)
I agree with what you had to say about boundaries. Coping without them can be very difficult and I admire that you're very self aware and that you've been working on them. I wish you the very best with it :D
You have also got amazing qualities there! Would love to get to know you smiley

@BecauseImBatman22 AW, hey thanks for saying that! I can tell I'd like to get to know you, too!

unique73 June 21st, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions

Hello flourishing, I really admire your self awareness and willingness to work on things to improve and become better person. Very well said about boundaries, they're not esdy to manage but definitely worth it!

@unique73 Thank you! I really appreciate that :)

ResilientLucky June 26th, 2021

@FlourishingDimensions
Someone who is open-minded and won't judge would be my favourite person. At some point in time, I have struggled badly in setting the right boundaries. I truly understand its importance. I am still working on it. Glad to know that you have worked it out for yourself.

FlourishingDimensions June 28th, 2021

@ResilientLucky I am still getting there, too! But I think I have come a long way? You can do it! It's one of the best things we can do for ourselves, I think. It's not the easiest thing to do or get the hang of tho.

BecauseImBatman22 June 21st, 2021

@GlenM

1) What is your personality type?
Assertive Protagonist ENFJ-A.

2) What were the main things you learned about yourself?
a) I am a strong believer in people, I can easily see their strengths, their weaknesses, feel what they're feeling and I'm always available for them. However, this can cause me to get too much involved in their problems and place too much trust in them. Therefore, I have to be very careful with this as I could be held back by limitations someone else is experiencing.

b) I am too selfless, I can bury myself in promises, feel other's problems as my own and really strive hard to meet the world. This can ultimately lead me to not be able to help anyone, if not careful.

3)What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.
a)Natural leader- I am often requested by others to take up a leadership role because of my strong and positive vision.
b)Tolerant- I am a true team player, and I am more than okay with sitting down and listening to someone who has heavily contradictory views as opposed to mine.
c)Reliable- The one thing that really gets to me is the idea of letting someone down. Hence, I can always be counted upon to see things through.

unique73 June 21st, 2021

@BecauseImBatman22

Hello batman! loved reading your post, I like how you reflected on the test results and got aware about lot of things about yourself. You seem like a great person!

BecauseImBatman22 June 22nd, 2021

@unique73
Thank you Unique ☺️ you seem like great person too!

@BecauseImBatman22 @unique73 you BOTH seem pretty great :) I am happy to be in these pieces of training at the same time as such nice folks :)

unique73 June 22nd, 2021

Thank you @BecauseImBatman22 and @FlourishingDimensions , lovely to meet you guys!❤

@unique73 you're welcome! Lovely to meet you, too 🤗

@BecauseImBatman22

Seems like we have got the same results. It's great to understand our own self and find someone who is of a similar nature.

BecauseImBatman22 June 26th, 2021

@ResilientLucky
We did? That's great! It really is nice to find someone of the same nature :D

unique73 June 21st, 2021

@GlenM

~ I have taken the test quite a few times before too and got the same result everytime which I feel relieved to know, my personality type is INFJ-A (Advocate)

~ I could relate to a lot of things about myself and felt satisfied to read. I am an introvert and love spending time alone, I communicate in a very warm and sensitive way. My honesty and insightful mind makes people more drwan towards me, however I am not a type of person who would love hanging around with groups of people. I also realized that I am very understanding and soft spoken person, which I already knew but the test helps me reflect more into it. I tend to find more sense in what I do, I am a studious kind of person, love reading, writing and learning about various things, have a curious mind always. One thing which made me think reading the results and was very true about me and that is, that I care a lot about people close to me and I do need to take care of myself too.

My top 3 strengths according to the personality test are:
☆ Creative: I tend to use my imagination and strong sense of compassion for different things and I enjoy finding perfect solutions for people I care about using my creative skills and imagination.
☆ Insightful: I use my intuitive skills and show deep understanding of something. It helps me to help and understand my peers in a more informative and insightful way.
☆ Passionate: I believe I am passionate about what I do, I tend to work on my goals with a strong belief. According to MBTI test, advocates' passion for their chosen cause is the key aspect of their personality.

Overall the test for very helpful, reflective and satisfactory.

@unique73
It's great to meet someone who is insightful. That's a really helpful quality to have. You have nicely analyzed your strengths.

JustOneMoreEpisode June 22nd, 2021

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? INFP - T ^__^

- That I can be self-isolating sometiimes, which I agree is something I would like to work on
- That I have a need for a search of calling to find my purpose in life
- That I'm an idealistic person

- Empathetic – These personalities can actually feel another person’s emotions, from joy and elation to sorrow and regret.
- Passionate – When an idea or movement captures their imagination, Mediators want to give their whole heart to it.
- Idealistic – Mediators strive to follow their conscience, even when doing the right thing isn’t easy or convenient.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

Hello! I am Andy. I really liked reading your post. I found it really nice and I am really excited that I have met someone with a similar personality! :)

JustOneMoreEpisode June 28th, 2021

@Andyallen
Hiiii Andy, yayyy super glad to meet someone who had a similar personality as me❤❤🤗.
*hugsss*

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

Yayyy! You can contact me whenever! :) Sending virtual hugs!!

StarlitSky4762 July 5th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode thank you for sharing! That's beautiful!

JustOneMoreEpisode August 16th, 2021

@StarlitSky4762
awww thanks star *hugsssssssss*

bubblingBreeze14 August 15th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

Wow, what great gits to have! You seems to be an amazing individual! heart

@bubblingBreeze14
aww breeze thankssss, that is so sweet of you, right back at you❤❤🌻🌻❤❤

AmazingDog96 August 16th, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode
Epi! You have really nice personality, I think that the test really got it right for you :)

@AmazingDog96
aww dog thankssthanksyou're truly awesome and glad to know you for sure, loveee your passion to help and your dedication to all members in 1 to 1 chats *hugssss*

kindFish9215 September 22nd, 2021

@JustOneMoreEpisode

Hi there! Though I don't have the same personality type as you, I can relate to you when you mentioned that you're an idealistic person. I feel that I can be idealistic too.

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." --Anonymous

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.
ENFJ-A Assertive Protagonist

I am taking this test for the second time after 2016 and it's the same result. It truly defines my nature of being full of passion, confident, taking a genuine interest in people, and altruistic. I also, feel it's true that I have fluctuating self-esteem. I learned I can be a natural leader. It also tells me that I can make a career as a teacher or counsellor and coincidentally I have a degree in the same. So, it feels that I might be on the right path. Also, the statement about the relationship saying "I’m a Slow Walker, but I Never Walk Back" truly applies to me. That's the perfect idea of a relationship for me.

Firstly, it talks about ENFJ being a quick learner and multitaskers who are being able to take on multiple responsibilities with competence.
Secondly, it says ENFJ are reliable. I usually stand with my words. Letting down a person or cause ENFJ believes in is the last thing to do.
Lastly, as mentioned in the result, ENFJ are tolerant. They are understanding of other people's perspective despite it being different from their own and looking for a discussion to be constructive even if it means contradicting their own opinion.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@ResilientLucky

Hello! I really liked reading your post. I think you made it really descriptive which is awesome. I think you have a wonderful personality and I think you'd made a great leader! :)

ResilientLucky June 28th, 2021

Thank you!

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@ResilientLucky hehe we're the same type, charismatic leaders for the win B)

Harquinn909 July 12th, 2021

@ResilientLucky I've taken the test a few times as well... always the same result which is pretty interesting because I've changed a lot as a person!

Do you have the same experience? I saw you mentioned you'd taken the test before too and both times got the same result!

ResilientLucky July 12th, 2021

Yes, I have the same experience.

ComradeRuhi August 3rd, 2021

@ResilientLucky
Heyooo Personality Twin, hehe. I've got the same personality result as you. <3 I know you'll make an excellent leader and will be a force to be reckoned with. Wishing you loads of success in your future. Loved reading your personality description.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@GlenM

My personality type is INFP-T.

I just learned that I was very creative. For example, I would have expected someone who answers the questions I did as creative but I never thought of myself that way. I also realized how empathetic I am and I love to know that. It is like a compliment from myself to myself.

Empathetic: Mediators don’t just care about other people in an abstract sense. These personalities can actually feel another person’s emotions, from joy and elation to sorrow and regret. Because of this sensitivity, Mediators tend to be thoughtful and kindhearted, and they hate the idea of hurting anyone, even unintentionally.
Passionate: When an idea or movement captures their imagination, Mediators want to give their whole heart to it.
Open-minded: Tolerant and accepting, Mediators try not to judge anyone else’s beliefs, lifestyles, or decisions.
milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@Andyallen yeah :D fellow empathy and creative friend, that's really cool