Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

snugglehuggle February 15th, 2022

Fun tests I really enjoyed it thank you you for approving me me.and receiving me

My personality is ITNJ-Â my strengths are I am naturally a thinker I tend to analyse things and reason with my head more than my heart I believe that emotions cloud judgement

😍🥰

My other strengths is I have lots of intuitive energy this makes me a very curious and open-minded person which is really good for great problem solving skills

My tactics are judging I prefer charging because it helps analyse the situation better

KBeauty12 March 20th, 2022

@snugglehuggle

My introvert buddy, good skills mentioned. Similarly to you, I am a curious person and meticulous in nature

Elise849 April 23rd, 2022

@snugglehuggle

hello there fellow intj, i've noted that there are not very much of us around here. kudos!

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@snugglehuggle

I agree with you on the open minded observation you have ! It's a good trait to have and I'm sure you're good at problem solving (:

RainbowRosie February 23rd, 2022

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

My personality type is Defender ISFJ-A / ISFJ-T

I learned that my personality type is quite unique. I’m a little surprised it in a good way. 😀

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Supportive - Defenders are universal helpers.

Reliable and Patient - Defenders are meticulous and careful.

Loyal and Hard-Working - Defender personalities often form an emotional connection to the ideas and organisations they’ve dedicated themselves too.

🌹🌹🌹

glowingSoul93 February 26th, 2022

@RainbowRosie

I completely understand your results and we actually have the same personality type!! If you ever need or want to talk I'm here.

NoelleListens February 24th, 2022

@GlenM

1. My personality type is Logistician ISTJ-A.
  2. The main things that I learned about myself are that I prefer to rely on myself to get things done. I also prioritize stability and efficiency which can lead to me bearing the load on my own in order to achieve it.
  3. My top 3 strengths/gifts according to the test are: honest and direct, strong-willed and dutiful, and very responsible.

@NoelleListens

It is a great thing to depend on yourself but make sure you don't take the world on your shoulders as you don't want to get too overwhelmed in your life.

Zarram77 March 22nd, 2022

@NoelleListens ❤️ That's a very nice one

@NoelleListens

that's the same type as my father. very dependable and stoic type.

RainbowRosie February 24th, 2022

@GlenM;

1. What is your personality type?

Defender ISFJ-A/ISFJ-T

That my personality type was quite unique. I’m a little surprised by this but it’s nice to be different.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

Supportive, Reliable and Patient and Enthusiastic - I do see these strengths in myself, so it’s nice to get the same results in a test.

🌹🌹🌹

@RainbowRosie

I think with your personality type your a great listener. I'm so glad that you feel that your results completely fit you and how you feel about yourself.

@RainbowRosie

Ok, you are a mixture of the two. Is it that you balance between assertive and turbulent?. I noticed that you are an introvert, I am one as well, but not a full introvert (53 %).

@RainbowRosie Defenders really are unique ❤️

ASilentBunny March 22nd, 2022

@RainbowRosie You are unique in your own way and that's lovely! So proud of you! 😊

1) Consul ESFJ-T

2) I have a tender heart, I like to take care of other people more than my feelings sometimes, I try to help people more than myself
3) Strong Practical Skills – Consuls are excellent managers of day-to-day tasks and routine maintenance, enjoying making sure that those who are close to them are well cared for.

Strong Sense of Duty – People with the Consul personality type have a strong sense of responsibility and strive to meet their obligations, though this may sometimes be more from a sense of social expectations than intrinsic drive.

Very Loyal – Valuing stability and security very highly, Consuls are eager to preserve the status quo, which makes them extremely loyal and trustworthy partners and employees. Consuls are true pillars of any groups they belong to – whether it is their family or a community club, people with this personality type can always be relied upon.

@glowingSoul93 People who are loyal are priceless ❤️

@glowingSoul93 We actually have the same strengths! So happy to see that you are loyal and have a strong sense of duty too!

magicmango26 March 15th, 2022

@GlenM

ENFJ-T

There are several things that I learned about myself: firstly, I love being there for people & I love helping people with their problems; however, sometimes I tend to neglect my own duties and work in order to help people! Secondly, I can be very intense – I like to push myself and those around me to better themselves, and sometimes, I can come across as being too energetic.

1. Passionate: Protagonists are far from being boring do-gooders. These types brim with interests, and they take great pleasure in pursuing their hobbies – whether that’s hiking, cooking, dancing, growing houseplants, or something else entirely. As a result, they rarely find themselves at a loss for something interesting to do.

2. Charismatic: Determined and inspiring, Protagonists often find their way into leadership roles. Whether they’re captain of their softball team or a leader on the world stage, they rarely lose sight of their main goal: to be of service to others.

3. Altruistic: These personalities are known for harboring a deep desire to be a force for positive change. Protagonists genuinely believe that if they bring people together, they can do a world of good.

@magicmango26

The part where you mentioned about helping others first than yourself, which sometimes lead to neglecting your activities. To me this is good to a certain extent, because what you would find is that you are putting a lot of energy to assist others and when you are ready to do your activities, you are drained.

I like the traits mentioned...

@GlenM

1) What is my personality type: INTJ - T

2) What were the main things I learned about myself: I noticed that the T means turbulent. For instance, I can be indecisive when choosing things that have more than one interest. There are times, I may get anxious, especially when there is a deadline approaching and I have a lot of work to do, or if the future seems unknown, like thinking of " What is my next step". However, I am trying to work on this.

3) What are my top three strengths: rational, informed, independent. These traits are a part of me, seeing that I am a science person. Ever since, I was curious of how things are and I like innovation. Very independent I will say, especially when delivering work

@KBeauty12

The description of the 3 traits

• Rational – Architects pride themselves on their minds. For them, nearly any situation can become an opportunity to expand their knowledge and hone their rational thinking skills. Thanks to this mindset, they can devise inventive solutions to even the most arduous of problems.
  • Informed – Few personality types are as devoted as Architects to forming rational, evidence-based opinions. Rather than hunches or half-baked assumptions, they base their conclusions on research and analysis. This gives them the self-assurance they need to stand up for their ideas, even in the face of disagreement.
  • Independent – For these personality types, conformity is more or less synonymous with mediocrity. Creative and self-motivated, Architects strive to do things their own way. They can imagine few things more frustrating than allowing rules or conventions to stand in the way of their success.
  • Rational – Architects pride themselves on their minds. For them, nearly any situation can become an opportunity to expand their knowledge and hone their rational thinking skills. Thanks to this mindset, they can devise inventive solutions to even the most arduous of problems.
  • Informed – Few personality types are as devoted as Architects to forming rational, evidence-based opinions. Rather than hunches or half-baked assumptions, they base their conclusions on research and analysis. This gives them the self-assurance they need to stand up for their ideas, even in the face of disagreement.
  • Independent – For these personality types, conformity is more or less synonymous with mediocrity. Creative and self-motivated, Architects strive to do things their own way. They can imagine few things more frustrating than allowing rules or conventions to stand in the way of their success.
Dan76 April 2nd, 2022

@KBeauty12 great you're trying to work on it!

@KBeauty12

hello there, intj-a here! very interesting to see how the same archetype can present in different ways. kudos!

@GlenM

My personality type is Advocate. INFJ-T

The main thing which I learned about myself is that I am sensitive to criticism which is very true. I like receiving feedback but due to my perfectionist nature, it disturbs me.

• Creative: I am creative because I have a vivid imagination and a very strong sense of compassion.
  • Passionate
  • Altruistic: I generally aim to use my strengths for the greater good.

@Zarram77 Thank you for sharing your results with us! I am so glad to hear that you are creative and passionate! Those are some qualities that demonstrate a great leader! <3

Zarram77 March 23rd, 2022

@ASilentBunny ❤️😊

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â: Consul, ESFJ-A/ESFJ-T

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learnt that I am actually a very sociable person who has a great passion to help others! I am also very royal, sensitive and warm! I can connect perfectly with other people share some of my light to their hard days!

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them. I have a strong sense of duty, with that said I try to take on every challenge head-on and do what I need to accomplish my goals, even when the challenge can be kinda tough. Secondly, I am pretty sensitive and warm! I try to seek harmony, build a safe and enjoyable environment around me and care deeply about other people's feelings. Last but not least, by using my communication skills, I can organize meetings and tasks!

Shadowmoonmoon March 28th, 2022

@GlenM

I am an ENTP!

I have learned a lot about my strengths and how I use that to the best of my ability.

My strengths are:

Excellent Brainstormers – Nothing is quite as enjoyable to Debaters as analyzing problems from every angle to find the best solutions. Combining their knowledge and originality to splay out every aspect of the subject at hand, rejecting without remorse options that don’t work and presenting ever more possibilities, Debaters are irreplaceable in brainstorming sessions.

Charismatic – People with the Debater personality type have a way with words and wit that others find intriguing. Their confidence, quick thought and ability to connect disparate ideas in novel ways create a style of communication that is charming, even entertaining, and informative at the same time.

Energetic – When given a chance to combine these traits to examine an interesting problem, Debaters can be truly impressive in their enthusiasm and energy, having no qualms with putting in long days and nights to find a solution.

Dan76 April 2nd, 2022

@Shadowmoonmoon love the ENTP mindset. My favorite philosopher, socrates, falls under this

TheRusticMystic74 March 29th, 2022

@GlenM

1) Personality Type

Consul

ESFJ-T

2) What is learnt about myself is that i confirmed my ideas about me loving hospitality, engaging with others and being very good at administrative work.

3) Top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test are Strong Practical Skills, Strong Sense of Duty, Very Loyal.

Description

Strong Practical Skills: I know whats practical and the best way to do things and i love to try them first before anything else and usually they work!!

Strong Sense of Duty: Being an army brat i was drilled that duty always came first. So a very good sense of duty was instilled in me since my childhood.

Very Loyal: Same with loyality i was taught from childhood never to betray a friend or anyone infact.

Dan76 April 2nd, 2022

1. INTP-A

2. I learned my personality type is part of the reason why I can often feel directionless. I often just surf aimlessly until opportunity finds me. I also learned it's a reason why I can often by more fixated on fantasizing rather than taking action and focusing on achieving desired accomplishments.

3. Empathetic – Mediators don’t just care about other people in an abstract sense. These personalities can actually feel another person’s emotions, from joy and elation to sorrow and regret. Because of this sensitivity, Mediators tend to be thoughtful and kindhearted, and they hate the idea of hurting anyone, even unintentionally.

Generous – Mediators rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They feel called to share the good things in their lives, give credit where it’s due, and uplift the people around them. These personalities want to contribute to a world where every voice is heard and no one’s needs go unmet.

Open-Minded – Tolerant and accepting, Mediators try not to judge anyone else’s beliefs, lifestyles, or decisions. This is a personality type that prefers compassion to fault-finding, and many Mediators feel empathy even for those who have done wrong. Because they’re so accepting, Mediators often become confidants for their friends and loved ones – and occasionally for total strangers.

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@Dan76

I'm glad to see you've learned about yourself by taking this test Dan, and I enjoyed reading your observations on your results.

CurrySoup12 March 21st, 2023

@Dan76 That's an excellent analysis of your own strengths. I'm amazed!

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INTJ

I'm analytical, not so proficient at emotions though I feel them nonetheless strongly and perhaps more intensely than others. Communication is not my best card, strategy is.

Rational - I'm inventive but grounded. My problem solving skills are my strongest asset.

Independent - Basically I don't like depending on people. I like being on my own and doing things on my own. And I'm capable of carrying them out.

Determined - I am ambitious and goal oriented. I'll do whatever it takes to get what I want.

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@Elise849

I respect your test results Elise, Thank you for sharing (:

FrenchMarbles May 4th, 2022

@Elise849

"Communication is not my best card" - I FELT that. Hard. Like I understand emotion, but like, you'd need to tell me you're feeling a certain way, other wise I'm not going to get how you feel, nor know how to respond but tell me what I need to do and I'm on it!!

Glencia89 May 16th, 2022

@Elise849

Rationality could bring a great advantage when it comes to decision making. It could make you a really good leader!

gentleFox20 May 31st, 2022

@Elise849

I really like your determination and focus Elise! I'm far too erratic to have that level of concentration. It's interesting the different skills and qualities we all possess which creates a diverse experience for our members.

Fox 🦊