Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Saquib16 September 1st, 2020

@GlenM @Heather225

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please?

Answer: My Personality is Advocate- INFJ-T.

Answer: I am capable of taking concrete steps to realize goals and make a lasting positive impact. I am decisive and strong-willed, but will rarely use that energy for personal gain.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Answer: My top 3 strengths are-

1. Creative – Combining a vivid imagination with a strong sense of compassion, Advocates use their creativity to resolve not technical challenges, but human ones..

2. Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion.

3. Inspiring and Convincing – Speaking in human terms, not technical, Advocates have a fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in their audience.

GentleFlameofCaring September 3rd, 2020

@Saquib16

I love seeing you around the site and it sounds like there are similarities as to how we approach things. it's cool to see.

InvaderStitch September 11th, 2020

@Saquib16

I also got advocate. What I find interesting is that the test says it's very rare, yet there are so many of us in this discussion. I feel like it's because the type of work that we do here just draws in advocate types. What do you think?

CintaBali September 15th, 2020

@InvaderStitch

Hi Invader - Thanks for the interesting question - I thought that one more plausible answer might be that people with the advocate personality type type might often avoid taking personality tests - after all, advocate personailites are described as intorverted. This would certainly lead to the statistics which currently exist for MBTI - type tests. I think that it is important to anticipate that the leadership program, just like the listener program, will involve personalities of all types. Congratulations on your result - advocate sounds like a beautiful personality type

SynSavory September 1st, 2020

My personality is INTJ. I learned that:

1) I am an advocate for others.

2) I think large-scale.

3) I like to help better the world.

My top 3 skills are empathy, kindness and resourcefulness.

SynSavory September 9th, 2020

@SynSavory

Empathy - suggesting honest intent towards others and understanding their plight, fostering validation.

Kindness - being polite is the best thing to do, the others may be used to vitriol so they need a safe space from me.

Resourcefulness - I like reading a lot and can draw upon multiple concepts across multiple fields to make sense of a situation.

@SynSavory

Resourcefulness is a great strength to have and I think will give you a lot to offer as a leader!

SophieWX September 13th, 2020

@SynSavory

Those three skills sounds like a wonderful combination to have, they should be very useful.

Endure777 September 10th, 2020

@SynSavory

Thanks for sharing! Being resourceful in a world that is running short on resource, or where resources lack in certain areas, is a good trait to have. It will definitely assist you in helping others and take you far!

StarlitSky4762 September 12th, 2020

@SynSavory those are some awesome skills to have! You must be really good at helping people!

WynterRose April 6th, 2021

@SynSavory

Good to meet a fellow INTJ and nice summary!

KACOSMIC September 2nd, 2020

@GlenM

I believe that it is always important and valuable to identify and build our strengths. I definitely loved to take this personality test.

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please .

My personality type is:

Turbulent Mediator

INFP-T

I learned that i don't need to change who i am, that i have a brilliant inner flame, even if others dont always notice it – and even if myself don't always appreciate it, that i forget to take care of my needs first than to take care of the others people in my life.
My challenge is: to step beyond mere dreams of good intentions and turn them into reality, also that growth is a balance between staying true to themselves while adapting to the world around me.

1- Very Creative – I can combine my visionary nature with my open-mindedness that allow me to see things from unconventional perspectives.

2- Passionate and Energetic – When something captures my imagination and speaks to my beliefs, i go all in, dedicating my time, energy, thoughts and emotions to the project.

3- Seek and Value Harmony – I have no interest in having power over others, and dont much care for domineering attitudes at all. I prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

@KACOSMIC

Its cool to see others get the same thing. see the energy and optimism is a contagious thing.

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

I am an INFP-T, a Mediator.

I'm part of 4% who are this type. I am gifted in self expression, and always working to create harmony. The intrigue with fantasy world also strikes a cord as I had a conversation with a friend about where they would ideally live and work.

Top 3 strengths are:

Idealistic: With the idealism, harmony is a stong partner. I strive to see the world in the best light which involves people working together and getting along with a common goal.

Creative: creativity cames from seeing things and expressing them in unconventional ways, as they feel right. Creativity can often be seen couled with flexibility as rules may be sidelined.

Driven: I use this to combine the passion, energy and dedication. essentially see an opportunity and they will grind the stones to make it happen.

freshMint9376 September 9th, 2020

@GentleFlameofCaring

Interesting! One of my traits was 'decisive' and it's coll how that's similar to but also different than 'driven'.

@GentleFlameofCaring

Being driven is a great trait to have! It means you are willing ot get things done! I found awesome that you are at one with the fantasy world as that is also important in the adult world where people start to lack in creativity. Anyone can be creative if they try, but being one with the fantasy world definitely takes it up a notch.

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@GentleFlameofCaring What an amazing balance you have there! How do you manage to keep those all healthy and happy parts of yourself?

Daf8 September 9th, 2020

heart Hi! How are you? heart

heart I already knew, but I m a... heart

heart INFJ-T heart

heart Even if I think and know that there s more, my results are 1000% accurate. heart

heart One day, I readed something that made feel not special: with my results, I learned that people like me make up less than the 1% of the population! That and other things about me make me really special. heart

heart In these kind of tests, I always had a mixture of results. I was always in the middle of all the examined virtues. With this test, I learned that I am "an unique combination of traits". Even if I have trouble believing it, I m kind of the ultimate combo. heart

heart According to the test, I am highly altruistic: that means I want the good and only the good thing for everyone. I don t want to benefit myself, I want to benefit the entire world. And I do fight for my best interest: the thing is that my best interest is a good cause. heart

heart I am also an idealist: I have a lot of ideas about how the world should be. I think about everyone s best interest, and I mentally build possible solutions. Basically, I use my brain to solve problems and resolve challenges, but the important thing is that I easily focus on human issues and what to do to work them out. heart

heart The thing is that I am also determined: I do have ideas, but I do take action. This means I ll do whatever I can to actually work it out! Once I figured it out, I ll "rock the boat if I must". And I know I ll do what I have to do for my good cause with passion and joy. heart

heart As I said, there s more! heart

heart Have an amazing (just like you) day! heart

@Daf8

Hey we got the same result! I agree that we are the ultimate combo in a way, but without people of different personalities I don't know where we'd be!

Daf8 September 9th, 2020

heart @freshMint9376 heart

heart Thank you for your answer! That's a whole topic to discuss! Fortunately, we have time to explore the diversity heart

I am a INFJ.

The main thing I learned is that I am well suited to help others.

My strengths:

Creative - I can imagine new solutions.

Inspiring and Convincing - I can inspire people to join my cause.

Decisive - I act on my insights.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@freshMint9376

Hey, Mint! I love that, good thing you found this site then ;) I hope you find a job that works to your personality as well!

@youarethesun12

Hey, Sun! Mediators are so needed. I love that you learnt so much about yourself! That's awesome new knowledge you can add to your arsenal.

@GlenM

ENFJ-A / ENFJ-T

I learned that Protagonist's (ENFJ-A/ENFJ-T) are natural born leaders. We love going out of our way to help others, even at our own demise sometimes. We our outgoing and usually the "life of the party" at social events. We tend to over-analyze ourselves and emotions and it can cloud our judgement sometimes, but we are very intuitive people and can relate to just about anyone.

According to this test, three strengths I have are; tolerant, reliable, and charismatic. Being tolerant means they are team players and open-minded. To be reliable means that people can count on you to be there when you say you will be there, and do what you say you will do. Being charismatic, or having charm, means that we are good talkers and know how to draw a crow, or be the "center of attention".

@CognitiveACE

Hiya, Ace! A natural born leader- I'm sure I'll see you around the site then, after this course ;) I love life of the party people, especially for an awkward being like me. :p

bubblyJulie September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

1. My personality type is Entertainer ESFP - A.

2. - I tend to make decisions using my heart rather than my head.

- Being around people will give me energy.

- Entertainers make brilliant medical professionals.

3. I'm bold, original, and observant.

hopedreamlove September 11th, 2020

@heyitsjuliana

Hi! I find it super interesting that entertainers make brilliant medical professionals, I never knew that before. Being bold, originality, and observant are fantastic traits, and sound like they can be really helpful!

PinkPizzaz September 10th, 2020

I actually took this test a couple weeks ago lol.

I am INFP-T otherwise known as The Mediator type

The main thing I learned about myself is that I really am a creative -type idealist. I realized that I don't think I'd myself this way because that's not how I want to think of myself, but when it comes down to it that is who I am. It's so weird that this stuff can be there from day 1 and we just don't fully recognize it.

My top 3 strengths/gifts (according to the site) are

#1 Seek value and harmony

Mediators strive for a solution that works for everyone and want everyone to be happy. Basically they like it when everyone gets along. They aren't interested in power.

#2 Passionate and Energetic

When mediators find something that interests them and sparks their creativity they go all in. They dedicate their time and fully commit to their cause.

#3 Dedicated and Hard-working

Because of their ability to see the big picture, mediators are able to continue when the going gets rough, especially when They know their work is meaningful. They push through.

helpfuldipper September 10th, 2020

@PinkPizzaz Creative type idealist is one of the best combinations. It's so awesome

PinkPizzaz September 11th, 2020

@helpfuldipper

Thank you!

Liru0417 September 10th, 2020

Advocate INFJ

There's no denying that I am introverted however I'm able to move past that by involving my self in causes that matter most to me. I am able to speak for what I believe in but also I allow for constructive input from peers and mentors whom I know are there to help me become a better person each day. I seek to find the good in everyone as I know we all have our strengths and I ought to see each one's potential not their weakness.

Creative – Combining a vivid imagination with a strong sense of compassion, Advocates use their creativity to resolve not technical challenges, but human ones.

Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion.

Determined and Passionate – When Advocates come to believe that something is important, they pursue that goal with a conviction and energy that can catch others off-guard.

@Liru0417 You seem like an awesome person. It is nice to know a little bit about you :)

@Liru0417

That's really cool! The whole insight thing has always been really interesting to me. Nice to meet you!

My personality type is ENFJ-A / ENFJ-T

3 Things I have learned form the test:

I can be too selfless, sometimes. That can have an impact on me later on.

I can have fluctuating self esteem with some highs and lows.

I tend to be indecisive sometimes.

My Qualities : Tolerant, Reliable, Charismatic, Altruistic, Natural Leaders.

@helpfuldipper

Interesting! Selflessness is a very admirable trait. Just make sure to take of yourself as well! Nice to meet you!

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@GlenM I was really suprised that I was a mix of two! (INFJ-A)/(INFJ-T)

My personality strengths, looking at the two types that I ended up being, would be:
1. I am able to feel in control, even when things don't seem to be in control.
2. I am also very altruistic. I never knew this was the word for this personality trait, but it really resonates with me.
3. I am very determined and passionate about causes I resonate with. I guess I didn't realize other personalities didn't have this in them, as odd as it sounds.

Three things I learned:
1. I can be sensitive. This is true. Even if I don't show it, I can be very sensitive to certain topics/reactions.
2. I also definitely always look for approval. This is a weakness to a point, as I can sacrifice too much of myself or feel overwhelmed when I fail at something.
3. I also do not like the feeling of rejection - whether professionaly or personally. It effects me very deeply.

lovelyNight9853 September 14th, 2020

@CompassionateDreamer8522

Altruism is a wonderful trait! I am glad to have learned a little about you.

September 10th, 2020

1 My personality type is protagonist ENFJ

2 this kind of suprise me since if I did it a few things I would get something Different.
The last trait suprise me the most since it hard for Me to open up to new people.

3. Tolerant. I accept people for they are.
, reliable I am always on time and will be there if I commit to something.

, natural leader , It easy for people to look up to me.

altruistic

And charismatic

hopedreamlove September 11th, 2020

@Goldenbutterflyofhope

Being tolerant is an incredible strength to have, and so is being reliable! I definitely admire people like you who are natural leaders!

INFJ (Advocate)

I found it very interesting how shockingly accurate it is. I really liked the quote it gave Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of. The reading talked a lot about how people with the advocate type are very big on making a difference in the world using kindness rather than harshness. Helping others is our purpose in life which is why I think I do so well on a platform like 7cups. I think one of the things that I need to be most aware of is how the advocate type is really good at burning ourselves out because we fight endlessly for what we believe in.

Nothing lights up advocates slike creating a solution changes peoples lives.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them

Creative: Have a vivid imagination that we use to help find solutions to human problems.

Insightful: We can see through the surface of things to get to the meat of things to get to the heart of the matter.

Inspiring and Convincing: Great at communicating in a written and spoken way that speaks to the idealist in our audience that gets people wanting to take action.