Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@SociologicalNate

We need people who want to get to the heart of issues, and that's amazing you've noticed it in yourself as well! You sound very much aligned to the personality test. :)

SofiaT2000 July 18th, 2020

@GlenM I seem to be a Protagonist ENFJ-A. Some of my advantages are that I'm charismatic, natural leader, intelligent, sensitive, self-less, honest, trying to defend my values although things may seem hard and passionate about succeeding and helping others to achieve they're goals! Although low self-esteem may be an issue, it may also become a motivation to help others and to improve as a person!

This was a very inspiring test that lifted my spirit and made me define and believe in my abilities! I feel energized and motivated to overcome my worries and to improve myself in order to achieve my personal goals, help others to develop and become a succesful leader!

@SofiaT2000

You're a natural born leader! I'm sure you'll go far if you hone in to it xx

SofiaT2000 October 25th, 2020

@rebecca947 Thank you Rebecca! I'm sure you will too as you do great!

positivePumpkin22 July 19th, 2020

@GlenM Thank you for this.

According to this test, I am a campaigner (ENFP-T).

E (Extraverted-79%) - N (Intuitive- 81%) - F (Feeling- 76%) - P (Prospecting- 69%) - T (Turbulent- 100%cheeky)

Some things I learnt about myself:

> I get stressed easily and tend to lose sleep because of overthinking.

> I tend to expect too much from people who I feel is close to me and end up keeping them in an unrealistic light, expecting them to keep up with my morals and view, forgeting that they are a different person with their own personality. This is unrealistic expectation makes me feel disappointed/hurt when they dont keep up with it. I laughed and totally agreed when the test said "Campaigners put their whole hearts into their friendships, and it can come as a shock for them to find that their friends arent the flawless Titans that they believed them to be."

My top three strengths :

1. Curiosity : I want to go out and experience things, and dont hesitate to step out of my comfort zones to do so. Campaigners are imaginative and open-minded, seeing all things as part of a big, mysterious puzzle called life.

2. Observant : Campaigners believe that there are no irrelevant actions, that every shift in sentiment, every move and every idea is part of something bigger. To satisfy their curiosity, Campaigners try to notice all of these things, and to never miss a moment.

3. Excellent Communicator : Campaigners enjoy both small talk and deep, meaningful conversations.

@positivePumpkin22

Haha 100% turbulent! I love your insight xx

Traveller8 July 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

I've done this test or similar ones before and the result has been consistant. So this is it:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFP

That there are other people like me. What are my strenghts and my weaknesses.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Open Minded and Flexible

Very Creative

Passionate and Energetic

@Traveller8

There are indeed so many people like you, especially on this thread! :o

herealways27 July 29th, 2020

My personality is ISTJ.

I learned that I don't rely on my emotions much to make decisions but rather the facts. I also like autonomy and self-sufficiency.

My top strengths are being honest, strong-willed, responsiblem, calm, and practical.

@herealways27

Autonomy and self-sufficiency! Those can be great traits to have in many, many situations in life.

crystalclearnow July 29th, 2020

1. My personality type- Protagonist-A. I am an ENFJ-A

2. The main things I learnt are- Protagpnists take great deal in guiding and teaching people. Inspiring others and reaching out to do good in the world. The like improving themselves and the community. Their interests in others are genuine, almost to a fault. They get deeply involved and place a lot of trust in others.

3. My top 3 stength are:- Tolerant- Tolerant and acceptance towards others with no judgement is my strength. As a natural leader and supporter, I would like to lead people to their full potential and gain satisfaction with the outcome.

Reliable- Reliable and focussed on a good result and outcome. My focus has always been to reach deadlines in a timely manner. I like completing things expected from me.

Natural Leaders- My strength would be to work together as a team so that we together have a great outcome. My natural tendency would be to uplift others so that we positively work towards a common goal.

helpfuldipper September 10th, 2020

@crystalclearnow Hey there I have got the same personality type too. It's nice to meet someone with similar personality

friendlytalk July 30th, 2020

@GlenM

1. I am INTP-T

2. I think more logically and with mental peace. Not take decision based on emotions

3. Three of my strengths are Open Mind, creative, decision maker

StarlitSky4762 September 12th, 2020

@friendlytalk me too!! I can relate!

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@friendlytalk

Hi FriendlyTalk :)

You and I are opposites on so many levels here, and yet I truly admire how your open mind and decision making abilities are so prominent. Super cool and I imagine that's helpful in a Listener and Leadership role.

Best of luck with your LDP Journey ! :)

SweetDreamer69 April 12th, 2021

And I end up taking alot of decisions based on my emotions..

DayDreamWithYou August 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Ironically, I actually got 2 different personality types when I took it at different times. Just 2 months ago, my personality type was INFJ-T "Advocate." However, a few moments ago, when I retook it, INFP-T "Mediator." In terms of my personal opinon on either personality type, I would say that I am a slightly mix of both yet neither one really defines me!

One thing I learned from the two tests I took at different times is that the timing and place we take these tests really affect our personality, and I wouldn't be surprised if I took it now and got another personality type. From the test itself, a few things that I learned was that (take from both tests - things that are in common) I am a naturally idealistic and creative person. I am quite surprise when I first saw that I am creative, but after reading more about, I can understand the reason behind it. I really liked how the test also offers potential weaknesses, which really lead me to think about how I seem to be aware that I had those yet at the same time I didn't (if that makes any sense). The main thing I learned from this test was to really think about those weaknesses, think about how it applies to me, and improving those.

As a Turbulent Advocate, my top 3 strengths are creative, insightful, and altrustic. Creative mainly means that as advocates, we have a strong sense of compassion and look for perfect solutions instead of technicial ones. Insightful mainly means that as advocates, we can tell the difference between dishonesty and honesty. Altrustic mainly means that we often take action on things that do not only benefit ourselves and focuses on others.

As a Turbulent Mediator, my top 3 strengths are idealistic, seek and value harmony, and open-minded and flexible. Idealistic means that we like to view people as good and only misunderstood. Seek and value harmony means that we do not seek for power and would like that everyone has a voice of their own. Open-minded and flexibile means that we dislike rules, would support other's who think their decision are right, and often give the benefit of doubt.

- I am so sorry for the late reply by the way!!

JessHobson August 28th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou we got the same!

GentleFlameofCaring September 3rd, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

This is really really cool, I feel. I was just talking to someone about this. I think its really cool how people change, and as you said it can be that we seesaw either in different time periods or progress. they all have their importance. When Ive taken this Ive been pretty consistently INFP-T, but have percentages that wouldnt put me out of changing to other personality types. Ive always related to multiple other types in both strengths and weaknesses.

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou Wow - you and I seem to have a lot in common personality wise, and you really delved deep into that test! What amazing reflection! <3

fireyseastar97 October 2nd, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

I also got the mediator!

Ines1229 December 8th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

I`m an INFP-T myself <3 Hello friend

Traveller8 August 12th, 2020

@GlenM

INFJ-A

Mostly things I knew already. How I like to help others and put other people first.

Creative, Insightful and Altruistic I'd say. Creative certainly because of the vivid imagination and the search for solutions. Insightful always trying to understand and go to the heart of people, things and situations. Altruistic, looking to benefit everyone involved in situations I'm part of.

@Traveller8 aw we got the same!

Traveller8 August 29th, 2020

@JessHobson

Jess,

Surely that's a good thing. Not many of us cheeky

JessHobson August 29th, 2020

@Traveller8 Exactly! :)

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Traveller8 You did a great job! The altruistic component I was never able to put a "name" to in my own life. That surprised me! Did it surprise you at all?

uniqueDaisy September 13th, 2020

@Traveller8

@ Jess Hobson

Great to meet you I am in the same tribe. Is a shame we are a rare breed, what a difference it would make if there was more of us.

slunickokacenka August 15th, 2020

@GlenMM

1. my personality type is: Mediator (INFP-T)

2. i learnt that my personality is that of a true idealist and that i have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine even when i am perceived as calm, shy or reserved.

3. my 3 top strengths are that i am idealistic, that i seek and value harmony and that i am open minded and flexible :)

ItsSimplyEll August 28th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your four letters, please

- Advocate INFJ - T

- I am more introverted than I thought.

- I am Creative, Insightful and altruistic.

StarlitSky4762 September 12th, 2020

@ItsSimplyEll Being creative and introverted isn't a bad thing! Perhaps you can be an artist!

AdvocatePersonality

INFJ-A / INFJ-T

• Will fight tirelessly for what I believe in

• Finds it easy to connect with others

• Strong-willed

@JessHobson I learnt that maybe I am more extroverted than I think!

TortueDesBois August 29th, 2020

Logistician ISTJ-A

Mind This trait determines how we interact with our environment. 0% EXTRAVERTED 100% INTROVERTED

Energy This trait shows where we direct our mental energy. 28% INTUITIVE 72% OBSERVANT

Nature This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions. 86% THINKING 14% FEELING

Tactics This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making. 82% JUDGING 18% PROSPECTING

Identity This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions. 58% ASSERTIVE 42% TURBULENT

Honest and Direct, Responsible. Calm and Practical

@TortueDesBois

Hey, Tort! Wow, 100% introverted! I've not come across someone as that, that's cool.

Irena0225 August 29th, 2020

Hi! Below are my answers:

1. My personality type is Campaigner(ENFP-A)

2. The main things I learned about myself are that I tend to embrace big ideas and actions that reflect my sense of hope and goodwill towards others. I love making connections with people, with the animals, and with society. These social and emotional connections make me feel better than the sheer excitement and pleasure at the moment.

3. My top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test are excellent communicators, know how to relax and very popular and friendly.

Campaigners like me have strong people skills, they love no matter what kinds of conversations, we are adept at steering conversations towards our desired subjects and in ways that feel natural and unforced.

Know how to relax and have fun sometimes is also really important because nothing is more important than having fun in your lives:-)We know when to shake up and burst our energies.

We are super approachable, interesting and exciting. Also cooperative, friendly and empathetic deposition. We can get along with pretty much everyone:))

freshMint9376 September 9th, 2020

@Irena0225

Wow you do sound like a very easy-going person! I could see how you would be friends with just about everyone (:

pro21 October 11th, 2020

@Irena0225

Hi, you have got really nice results..

Mind teaching me how to open up a bit ? ;)

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 August 31st, 2020

My Personality Type- INFP-T (Mediator)

The thing that I learned about myself- we are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. We are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments.

My 3 strengths according to the test are Idealistic, Very Creative, Open-Minded and Flexible.

Loved taking this test :)

lovelyNight9853 September 14th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

I am an idealist too! It's important to stick to the positives.