Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. รƒร‚

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here รƒร‚ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

generousDiamond35 September 3rd, 2020

I learned that I am enjoy having novel experiences, I am well-organized and reliable and I am good-natured, courteous and supportive.

Open-mindedness, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I feel, my strengths will help me support and guide myself and other people in my life efficiently. I will be extremely reliable and not let down anyone under any circumstances.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

With the help of my strengths, I would be a reliable leader which will help people to look up to me. I will be selfless and be supportive at all times. I will be tolerant enough to listen patiently to everyone's thoughts and opinions and guide them.

peacefulWarrior10 September 12th, 2020

@generousDiamond35

Reliability is a very important factor to be a leader. So glad to read that's your strength! All the best ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

generousDiamond35 September 14th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10

Thank you so much!!

GentleFlameofCaring September 4th, 2020

@GlenM

The results reaffirm what I have been aware of, but it also highlighted the things I have been trying to work on.
Extraversion, agreeableness and open mindedness

extraversion (though balanced at 60%) was interesting result as I was INFP with 16 personalities (meyers briggs). I think the variation though just affirms what I was thinking before, being really in the middle. It highlights the ambiguity of consistent measure and that different sources take or exclude different things into consideration or weight things differently. Over time I have noted I generally am in the middle with elements of both experiences.

They already do make a difference as they havent changed how I interact with people, which is generally positive even in tough conversations.

They can allow me to funnel information and situations to interact/ act from my strengths.

BookChunky September 9th, 2020

@GlenM

For Openness, I am creative and curious about the world around me, while being open to new experiences. I scored at the 78th percentile.
For Conscientiousness, My score tells me I am sort of a messy person. I fall in the 8th percentile. For Extraversion, I discovered that I am both social and reserved depending on the situation and people I am with. scored at the 47th percentile. For Agreeableness, I am neither too forgiving nor irrtable. I fall in the 48th percentile.
For Neuroticism, I discovered I tend to be somewhat anxious and nervous about difficult situations. I scored at the 66th percentile.

After taking this test, I do believe I have learnt a few new traits of myself, which have helped me better understand my ow personality as well as the strengths and weaknesses I have as a person. I was somewhat surprised by result for Agreeableness as I always thought I was more of a forgiving person but this helps me work more to become a better person. I was satisfied with my scores for Extraversion as I agree that I am more outgoing and social around people I am comfortable with and rather reserved around new people. My score Neuroticism made me realize that being anxious and nervous about things is a part of my personality and there's nothing wrong with being a little worried about the outcome of some situations.

After doing the test, I understand that my top 3 traits are; Agreeableness for which I scored in the middle percentile which I believe shows that I am a quite forgiving person but not so much, as allowing people to work over me or use me. Another one was, Openness which was pretty high, I have high curiosity, creativity and I am always open to new experiences and ideas. Lastly, I think having sort of high score in Neuroticism might be one of my strong suites as I pay attention to details and worry about things/tasks until I complete them or get them right which could be very helpful.

Completing both the tests were extremely helpful for me for both my personal and professional self, as I identified certain strengthes from both that enable me to be a stong and caring person. I will use the result from both the tests to make myself more level-headed, kind individual that believes in motivating others to be their best self while working hard in my own roles as well.

Being part of the 7 Cups community has given me a lot of strength and helped me become a better person overall. Through the tests, I discovered certain traits/skills I posses which would help me interact better with members on 7 cups and as a leader, I might now be netter equipped to help others bring out the best in them while helping them in areas of difficulty. I would definitely encourage others to take these tests and understand more about themselves and hpw they ca improve. From the career side, I would really like to apply what I have learnt through these tests about myself while helping others as a therapist and work on giving my best effort in all the work I do to help make a difference in the world.

InvaderStitch September 12th, 2020

@BookChunky

It sounds like these tests gave you some good insight. I would also like to use my skills to become a therapist in the future!

September 26th, 2020

@InvaderStitch and @BookChunky

I also wish to become a therapist, working on this smiley

freshMint9376 September 9th, 2020

I learned that I enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.

Curious, reliable, good-natured.

I am good-natured, meaning I go with the flow and am very agreeable. It's easier to be good-natured rather than question everything and everyone with suspicion.

By being curious, I know how to ask good open ended questions in order to help me get to know people better. I'm reliable, which means I will be on time for things and will always be a listening ear.

hopedreamlove September 11th, 2020

@freshMint9376

Hi! Being curious, reliable, and good-natured are awesome traits. I also am good-natured, although curious is something I am not really. I agree that it can be easier to be good-nature's and go with the flow!

@freshMint9376

Curiousity is such a great strength to have. It's one that I pride myself in also.

bubblyJulie September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

1. I am somewhat conventional and I would remain calm in mostly any situations.

2. I'm sociable, forgiving, and and supportive.

3. I can utilize my strengths to further improve my weaknesses and help me to become a successful person.

4. I acknowledge that I still have a lot of weaknesses that I have to improve; however, I always keep in mind that "Few people are born leaders, but luckily, leadership can be learned." I am looking forward to leading and inspiring the people around me with my utter dedication and clear vision.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@bubblyJulie

Hey, Julie! Those are amazing strengths to have, being calm, forgiving, social and supportive. The most important things are an acknowledgement of weaknesses and the willingness to improve on them. It sounds like you've got both! Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be an amazing leader xx

Liru0417 September 10th, 2020

I know I'm a bit introverted but I guess I can be a little bit social and outgoing in certain occasion surprise It shows that I'm also a bit of an organizer myself even if I struggle someties with time management and lastly it never occurred to me but I work well under pressure
You are relatively open to new experiences.
You probably remain calm, even in tense situations.
You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon.

It can help me realize that I can use the strengths that I have identified to be a better persone each day.

It would act as a stepping stone for me to work more on them and develop them as I delve into a new role here on 7Cups and in my career. By doing this, I would eb able to meaningfully collaborate with my peers and mentors as well.

PinkPizzaz September 11th, 2020

@Liru0417

This all sounds great! Staying calm under pressure is definitely something I could work on. All of these strengths will definitely help you to grow as a person.

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

I didn't realize how open-minded I was. I consider this a good thing, as I tend to be very "by the book" when it comes to my professional life.
Conscientiousness, Agreeableness, and Open-Mindedness
They have helped me see a very strong correlation between my open-mindedness and my ability to be passionate and work for causes I believe in. Additionally, my agreeableness is right on point, as I tend to get a long with many types of people. And my conscientiousness goes right along with my other test scores, in that I am very organized and and self-disciplined. It brings me inner peace.

I think that in a leadership role, I am able to support people without judgement, and this platforms is something I've specifically found a heart for. I love helping people. In my career, most of my main duties are in support/admin, so these fit right in. I definitely have a servant's heart.

@CompassionateDreamer8522

Being open-minded is great! These strengths are really helpful both inside and outside of 7cups.

Saquib16 September 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Answer: I learnt that Im a conventional and disorganized person. I am shy and anxious.

Answer: My three top strength I guess I am critical, quiet & down to earth.

Answer: I can use these strengths in my career and helping out people around me.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and your career?

Answer: I can use my strength Identified in the test to as an effective listener who is more system-oriented with the critical thought process.

@Saquib16.

Lol this is close to the opposite of what I got on my test (except for the introvert part that's me too). These sound like great strengths! I'm sure they'll be able to help you in 7cups and in your personal life.

One thing I learned about myself is that I "tend to do things haphazardly" I'm a bit undependable.

My top three strengths (according to the test) are: creative, curious, and complex. The only ones I scored high on were Open-minded and Negative Emotionally so that's why.

The strengths I have identified can help me focus on my strengths and use those to grow.

My strengths (especially the extreme empathy) will help me in a leadership role by helping me to connect to the people.

Endure777 September 11th, 2020

@PinkPizzaz

I do not think anyone is ranked negatively when it comes to emotions. in reality that is just the stigma we put on "bad" feelings like feeling sad or mad. No matter what, your emotions are not "negative". All emotions are meant to be felt, and some of us feel more than others. Just because someone says something engative about how you feel emotions, does not mean they are right. Even with tests like this. Always think positive!

Endure777 September 11th, 2020

@GlenM

The main things I learned about myself are that I am a higly energetic person who loves people and socializing. I am very organized as well as emotional but I know how use my emotions and thoughts to be creative and empathic as well as sympathetic.

My top 3 strengths according to the test are that I enjoy novel experiences and seeing things in new ways, I am well organised and reliable, and I am extremely outgoing and energetic.

My strengths can help me with my personal life by giving me reassurance on areas in my life that I did not realize I initially good at, especailly the traits I thought I did not have or just didn't show as mch as I would like to. I know understand that I am very outgoing and energetic so knowing how to regulate my energy and emotions will better help me to socialize with others in a positive manner.

The strengths from both tests will help me in a leadership role on 7 Cups because they show how much I love socializing with people and helping them with their own problems. I am in tune with my emotions and love listening, as well as talking, and I have a great intuition that will help me understand others on a deep level. I am organized, so I am great with planning; and I love taking the lead and know how to take initiative when needed, which works great for launching projects or discussions.

@CognitiveACE

Being organized and reliable are great strengths to have, as are being outgoing and energetic! Those are all strengths I could definitely work on. These definitely sound like they can help you on 7 cups as well as in your personal life!

@CognitiveACE

Sounds like you have a lot of great strengths and I can't see where they take you during the LDP!

I have learned that I am extremely introverted, and I am generally a pretty anxious person who does worry about things, which fits me extremely well. Definitely something I could work on! I am also very agreeable.

My top three strengths are good-natured, courteous, and supportive!

The strengths I identified can help me in personal life as being good-natured, courteous, and supportive can allow me to get along with a lot of people, and be a positive presence and someone people can respect and hopefully trust.

These strengths I identified on the Big 5 can help me in my leadership roles on 7 cups as I will be able to be a supportive leader, and someone who can lead in a courteous, supportive way with good intentions. As for the strengths I identified on the 16 personalities test, my passion, dedication, idealism, and open-mindedness can help me be excited and give me belief in my roles, and work hard to achieve my visions.

@youarethesun12

I tend to be forgiving as well, I have found that holding grudges is too exhausting for me. It sounds like all of your strengths can definitely help you as a leader on 7 cups as well as in your personal life!

@youarethesun12

Seeking harmony is a good trait to have. I tend to be a bit competitive and wish I could have a little less of the competitive nature.

September 11th, 2020

1 everything this test says about me is stuff I already knew.

2 This test says I am opened minded , rideable , outgoing and supportive.

3 I hopefullyir it will help warm up to things a lot faster than I normally would. I think it will help me take more risks and become more out going to people I do not know.

4 I hope it will help me go far on cups with higher roles when time come. I hope this traits can people repect me and being a role model to other listeners.

@Goldenbutterflyofhope

Hey, Hope! Glad to know you're self-aware and are acknowledging your strengths <3 Risks are a part of life- don't be afraid to take calculated risks. We risk failing, but we also risk succeeding. It's worth a try! xx

I was surprised by my score for conscientiousness, I scored pretty low and it said that I do things haphazardly but I really dont feel like that is true. I pay so much attention to detail it borderlines on obsessing over making sure I do things right. I didnt like the results or agree with them on this one as much as I did on the MBTI.

I scored highest on agreeableness which is the one I agreed most on, I also scored relatively high on open-mindedness. I tend to be very easy to get along with and open to new experiences.

My strengths can help me reach my goals in my personal life. I can use my creativity to find resources to go to grad school and become a therapist myself. I am also very kind and generous and have a good heart to be a good friend, sister, aunt, and cousin to the people important to me in my life.

My strengths will help me in a leadership role on 7cups because I am extremely passionate and will put my all into the role. I am also altruistic and live to make a difference, since these are strengths it will mean that the roles on here will be almost natural for me. I just have to be careful not to burn myself out by taking on too much. I feel like the same can be applied to any career. Itll make me an asset for any company I work for.

shiningSound31 September 12th, 2020

@InvaderStitch
Your answers suggest that you want to be a therapist. Moreover, you possess the important traits for this role. I strongly believe that 7 Cups would be significantly better with your skillsets and your generous involvement. I wish you the best in your journey in life.

shiningSound31 September 12th, 2020

I have a high score on the trait of Open-Mindedness. This means that I enjoy having new experiences and I am prone to look at things in new ways. I also tend to be original, creative and curious.

I have a low score on Conscientiousness. This means that I am impulsive, negligent, undependable and disorganized. I don't keep things around me tidy. This is an eye-opener for me. I will focus on improving myself on these fronts.

I have a very low score on Extraversion. This means that I am highly introvert. I enjoy remaining silent and spending time alone.

I have an average score on Agreeableness. This means that I am neither extremely forgiving nor irritable.

My score on Negative Emotionality is 75 percentile. This means that I am likely to remain anxious or nervous. This stresses the need for self-care. Again, this score is an eye-opener for me and I will focus on improving myself on this front.

According to this test, it seems that my strengths are primarily due to the high score in the Open-Mindedness. I tend to be original, creative and curious. Curiosity encourages me to learn about new things. And creativity and originality encourage me to create new things be it in engineering or literary or drawing. This is true as I have written poems in English and I also have an interest in drawing.
Also, I am neither irritable nor extremely forgiving. So, it is neither easy for people to irritate me nor can people around me take me for granted. I need to improve myself on other parameters.

I have a trait that I seek and value Harmony. I try to see good in every people. I don't like to dominate others but strongly believe in the democratic process and that every voice should be heard. In real life, people, often, don't like being overpowered or being dominated by others. They want themselves to be heard. Perhaps, that's the reason of success for social media websites like Twitter, Facebook etc. Giving every voice the opportunity to be heard helps in nurturing good relationship and helps in avoiding bias, ego-clashes besides helping in finding a better solution to the problems that I as an individual or a family member or a member of a group/team would face.
I also exhibit traits of creativity and tend to be original or curious. These traits encourage me toward continuous learning, try out new things and creating something new, original and creative, be it literary, drawing or otherwise. Continuous learning and the penchant for creating something original would help me grow both personally, professionally and would also allow me to contribute me to 7 Cups.

4. Identify and describe how your strengths can help you in your leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career.

As per the personality tests, I display the traits of an idealist. I strongly believe that people, at their heart, are good but often misunderstood. Everyone makes mistakes. Some members who seek emotional support at 7 Cups have a darker past. They might have committed mistakes which they now repent. Many members struggle with the issue of guilt. These members would be more comfortable in discussing their issues with someone who won't judge them but would believe that they, despite their mistakes and misdeeds, have goodness in them. As Mahatma Gandhi said that we should hate the bad traits but not the person who possess bad traits.
The personality tests reveal that I seek and value harmony. I don't like to dominate others. I am open-minded and flexible. I have an attitude of live-and-let-live. I don't judge people. These are important qualities for a listener. While having a conversation with a listener who possesses these traits, members would feel comfortable in discussing whatever they want to discuss. I, as a listener, would be able to serve members coming from diverse backgrounds. These traits would help me to allow them to express themselves freely without the fear of being judged. Moreover, I am not easily irritable.
This would help me in showing patience to the members who seek emotional support.

The traits that I mentioned above would allow me to work with colleagues in my professional life coming from diverse backgrounds. These traits would help me create and nurture a meaningful relationship with my colleagues and seniors in my professional life. So, these traits would help me in my career and professional growth.

@shiningSound31

Hey, Sound! I loved reading your in depth analysis and answers of the questions. These quizzes can indeed be an eye-opener for us, and it's good to hear you willing to improve! Open-Mindedness is amazing, and will definitely help you go far on Cups and in life. Everyone appreciates originality and creativity- that's how the world constantly changes, grows and develops. Harmony also is very important in life and in relationships, regardless of what kind they are. Like you said, every voice wants to be heard, in some way. "As Mahatma Gandhi said that we should hate the bad traits but not the person who possess bad traits." I love that. So very true. We are not our mistakes, we are not our faults. xx

shiningSound31 September 19th, 2020

@rebecca947

Rebecca, I completely agree with youheart You have rightly said that we are not our mistakes and not our faults. Again, Thank you very much, Rebecca, for your very beautiful appreciation heart This means a lot to me heart Thank you heartsmileyheart

peacefulWarrior10 September 12th, 2020

---That I'm confused by too many questions on myself and tend to opt for "neither agree nor disagree" in most cases ๐Ÿ˜„ Also that I'm emotional, reliable, artistic, anxious, usually organized, and a lot more.

I'm usually organized. I'm positive & enthusiastic (unless depressed or anxious). I'm reserved. Reserved people are deep thinkers, hold deep conversations, are compassionate and are good listeners. (They're not necessarily shy. Like me.)

Knowing my strengths and weaknesses, I can actually understand why I'm doing what and not keep wondering about the same. It helps knowing your own features and nature. Helps us be aware and make amends wherever necessary. Helps us building on our strengths further and utilize them.

I can commit to projects that interest me and that has the nature of work flow or requirements that suits my style. I can be a better leader by using my strengths to turn my weaknesses into opportunities. Also I can support the community of leaders with my strengths wherever my co-leaders may have weaknesses. It can help me understand them better for better team work.

Being organized, I can improve processes and maintain them in a nice way using my own ways. Being positive & enthusiastic, I can bring positive vibes in my projects and people I work with. I can turn difficult things into something more doable because I believe if it's not me, someone else will do it after I quit, so why not me? Being reserved, I can use my deep thinking ability to identify problems and work through them. My compassion and good listening skill is partly because I'm reserved. I can also use this to focus better on my priorities and my deliverables. I can avoid distraction. But this is just my perspective about being reserved. Also I'm more social than reserved, not sure why my test results show different. I think I'm a mix of both..

@peacefulWarrior10

Hiya, Warrior. LOL I feel you on the decision confusion xD Please teach me to be organised, I beg of you!! For me, reserved means holding judgment and thinking a lot about something. I take those as very good things, and things I may need to learn. I was quiet and reserved when I was younger, now, not so much. I miss that part of me. "Turn my weaknesses into opportunities" I love that. "if it's not me, someone else will do it after I quit, so why not me?" OOFT. I need to hear that sometimes. And tests may not always be right, but they are a guide. :)

peacefulWarrior10 September 23rd, 2020

@rebecca947

You make me feel special! Haha, thanks dear!

Ruchira September 13th, 2020

@GlenM

I learnt about my strength and weaknesses. I learnt I that i am an extrovert, open-minded and generally a relaxed person which I already knew. I also learnt about my negative traits like being a little lazy and a procrastinator. Need to work on those qualities as well.

My 3 high scores (or strengths) were as follows: Open-minded, Extrovert, and generally a relaxed person

Use my strength to help my family and friends. I can be aware of my strengths and put it to better use.

I am happy working with people and i am an extrovert. I get energy from solving peoples problems and helping them. So use my positive skill set to work in a leadership role at 7 cups. So I can bring fresh energy to my work at 7 Cups.

@Ruchira

There are always things to improve on within us. :) Sounds like you've got a good plan on how to use your strengths! Keep at it xx.

brightbubbles88 September 13th, 2020

The main thing that I learned about myself is that I'm neither organized or disorganzed (I found that interesting and I wasn't expecting that aha)

According to this test, my top 3 strengths and being good natured, courteous and supportive :)

I feel that these strengths would help me in my personal life because it would help me relate more to others/work well with others - whether this be with my housemates, friends, family, coworkers etc.

I think that these strengths would help me in a leadership role and in my career because relationships are an important part (a central part) of creating a supportive and safe environment - and in just being aware and conscious of how my actions and words are impacting others so that I am doing no harm.

@brightbubbles88

Hey, Bubbles! Ooh, so you can be both maybe? Hmm, I wonder what that means re organised...