Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Respond in a positive way, because in all honesty, it's a learning experience that clearly shows I'm not ready for the position!

I'd thank them for sharing the news with me, especially because it will be uncomfortable for them to have to inform me. Either or , they are only doing the right thing by informing me (:

MelodyoftheOcean May 25th, 2022

thanking them sounds like a really nice option! ❤️

FrenchMarbles May 8th, 2022

@Heather225

I would feel disappointed, of course I wanted the role, but I would thank them for their time, I would ask what would I need to do to achieve that goal and work on that, if the role was filled up I would ask what else I can do to help the website.

Train1 May 14th, 2022

@FrenchMarbles

You have a similar answer to me. But I also like how you asked what else you can do to help the website. That is very proactive.

LoveTracker July 4th, 2022

@Train1

That was really an optimistic approach.

Cheers!

GoldenNest2727 May 11th, 2022

I believe I'm already holding the highest leadership roles that are open to me, and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to serve the community. I wouldn't take it personally, though, if I was refused a role. I'd get competitive and would work to improve my skills. I'd take it as an opportunity to grow and show what I've got.

Train1 May 14th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

I like the idea that you get motivated by getting turned down instead of discouraged. You have a great attitude.

Harsvin May 26th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

Very well said, Golden! I completely agree

Thank you for sharing it with us ❤

June 1st, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

i really like how u adapted your question to your needs as a member hitting the highest role.

gentleFox20 June 6th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

I love the passion you've shown in this post - 'I would grow and show what I can do' - brilliant!

Train1 May 14th, 2022

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would try to get as much feedback as possible as to why I was not given the role and work from that feedback in order to try for the role again in the future.

Question: What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Thank you for letting me know. Could you advise on what I could do to improve my skills in order to apply for the role again in the future?

@Train1

It sounds like you truly want to improve. I appreciate that 💜

Harsvin May 26th, 2022

@Train1

Thoughtful answers, Train! Thanks for sharing it with us ❤

@Heather225

Thank you for the post Heather, I appreciate it a lot!

Answer: I would be very happy that they took their time to give me the news, as leaders are often very busy. I would like to ask them what I can do to improve and maybe one day achieve the role. That way I would have something I could be working towards. Like a goal, but with no pressure on it, as roles are always needed and there will always be a next opportunity.

In case I would feel upset for the moment I would log out of cups, maybe take a walk, clear my mind and see it from the leaders' perspective.

I would tell them that I appreciate their response and that I would be very grateful if they were able to give me any feedback, so I can do better next time ^^

Thank you for reading through this, you amazing person! Feel free to take a cookie! *hands you cookie box*

💛

Harsvin May 26th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

Amazing answers as always, Melody.

It's a delight to read your colourful posts ❤

June 1st, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

really thoughtful answer and keep up with the good answer.

@MelodyoftheOcean

Your kindness and gratitude to the leaders of this community is lovely Mel! I hope to cultivate that level of compassion when I'm in that position.

@MelodyoftheOcean

Great way of handling things. True approach.

Keep going this way all along. Best wishes.

SparklingSeashells July 14th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

Sounds like you are a really positive and appreciative person!

Harsvin May 26th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

My initial respond would be feeling upset, and i'll let that feeling sink in for awhile then try to take a break from 7Cups for some time, by keeping myself busy with things that I love to do such as writing poetry, going for a walk or treating myself with a delicious meal. By doing so, i would be managing my emotions better and helping to keep my mind away from it.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would ask them for a feedback to recognize my shortcomings, and request for advice/ guidance on how to improve my skills for the specific role. Work with them to be better and take this as an opportunity to learn.

@Harsvin

I think it's so important to take that time to feel your feelings, I'd do the same <3

Glencia89 June 13th, 2022

@Harsvin

I totally agree with you on put one's mind away from emotion for a second. I often do this after exams scores comes out and it is amazing : )

@Harsvin

Appreciate the way u handle things.

June 1st, 2022

1 first talk to a ps and then do self care.

b once I calmed I ask for feed on why I did not get the role and how I can get better for next time I apply.

C work with mentor to get better.

2 thanks for your time to look over my form. Can I get feedback on what I can do to get the role next tim?

@Goalsforlife

Insightful answer. The feedback from mentor could be really helpful!

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

The first thing I would do is go and make a cup of tea! Give me five minutes to process how I'm feeling before I reply :) I'd thank the leader for their time and ask if they could possibly give me some feedback. I'd be patient in waiting for a reply and if they said they were too busy I'd reach out to a mentor instead. If it was a role I was extremely passionate about I'd take steps to be successful the next time I applied. If the feedback seems like another person would be better suited to the role then I'd hope to graciously accept that and figure out where my skills/strengths could be best used.

@gentleFox20

Great answer! It's really important to figure out what one is feeling before taking action, otherwise one could done some unconscious move that is not friendly to other people.

keep with the good work :)

audienta June 30th, 2022

@gentleFox20

I think it's really great that you mention the option that sometimes it might be better to let go of the idea of a certain role and focus on finding your own strengths instead. That's really a great tip, thank you for sharing it.

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

This answer is so wholesome, I love the idea of waiting a minute to respond <3

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

For myself, I would take a deep breath, close 7cups website just for now, and write down how I feel at this time. I would probably feel frustrated and disappointed. Then I would take a meditation and log in as a normal listener when I feel like it.

For the leaders, I totally understand that they have their own responsibilities and it’s not personal if I didn’t get the role. I should first thank them for reviewing my application and then ask if there’s anything I could improve to get the role next time.

audienta June 30th, 2022

@Glencia89

Logging out, writing down your feelings and meditating sounds like an amazing strategy! Thank you for sharing it with us.

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Heather225

Ofcourse I'll be sad for sometime but I will never break down . Cause rejection doesn't mean failure . It means to improve success and work . So no worries , I'll try my best to improve on the areas I can , take help rom mentors and other leader and I can settle for any other role or will ty to reapply for the same role again when I am prepared well enough . There's no end to success and improvement. Whats meant eventually finds a way always.

audienta June 30th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972

I really like your sentence "Whats meant eventually finds a way always.". Of course, not getting an opportunity we wanted, may make us feel sad, but if we'd get it without being ready for it, that's not helpful either. And with the feedback, we can grow, until eventually, we'll find the role that fits us best.

audienta June 30th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I should stay calm, not take it personally, connect with a mentor and work on my skills so that I have a better chance on getting the role next time.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

"Thank you for reaching out to me! Would it be possible for you to tell me what I could work on with my mentor so that I have a better chance on getting a role like this one next time?"

magicalOcean594 July 8th, 2022

@audienta

everyone is saying connect with a mentor, i really didnt think about that. great job thank you guys!

@sunnyLion4273
i love how you said pulling feedback to be a learner! great stuff:)

CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@sunnyLion4273

It is really positive to hear how you would ask for feedback as this really shows a passion for learning and moving forwards!

Waves

@Heather225

I should accept and respect the decision taken by the team. I would discuss it with my Mentor of the role I have applied for and get some input on what I have done and on what I should be doing in order to get the role next time!

@LoveTracker

i didnt think about discussing it with a mentor of the role, thank you for that tip!

CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@LoveTracker

It is lovely to hear how accepting you would be! Thank you for sharing your answer Tracker :)

Waves