Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #7) How to Provide Feedback

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Now that we've learned about how to receive feedback, let's talk about how to provide feedback!

Please watch this video.

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

I agree, we want to be the best we can and feedback is okay, even encouraged :) I loved the part about asking for feedback!

blissfulTouch29 July 22nd, 2022

Micro yes paces the employee for the feedback you are going to give them. Leave out the blur words, the don't give a specific feedback about what you need the employee to actually increase or diminish. 03:36 Show the impact of the actions of the employee positive/negative. 03:58 Ask for suggestions and input from the employee to solve the problem.
Show less
blissfulTouch29 July 22nd, 2022

Micro yes paces the employee for the feedback you are going to give them. Leave out the blur words, the don't give specific feedback about what you need the employee to actually increase or diminish. Show the impact of the actions of the employee positive/negative. Ask for suggestions and input from the employee to solve the problem.

I love asking what I could do differently because I love to learn. However, you don't always have to take the feedback.

I liked the blur words info too :)

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

The show impact!

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

We're a culture of learning, growing and improving, and feedback helps support that <3

Ninziesss July 30th, 2022

@Heather225

The micro yes

Being specific.

Show Impact

Impact Statement

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

Showing impact is the one i should work most on.

Because feedback helps people grow and get better in what they do. Also, it sets certain expectations that are required for that. It isn't used for simply telling people what they do wrong, but to make sure they get better. And there's also a lot of positive feedback that motivates people.

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@Heather225Q: What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

A: The four-part formula is: 1: the micro-yes 2: data point 3: show impact 4: end on a question.

Q: Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"? A: For me it would be the micro-yes because asking the question differently can help a lot and for me personally I could improve this in some ways.

Q: Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups? A: For example, asking my questions or feedback could already set a tone to the conversation, if I ask my question differently and point out the data point correctly it could help a lot.

- Lena

blissfulForest7074 August 11th, 2022

@Heather225

The four part formula is : 1, Micro yes : preparing the person for feedback

2, Using data and words that are not subjected to different interpretation, or refraining from using fuzzy words

3,Wrapping a feedback with a question for the other person so that the conversation is more engaging and involving rather than a one sided conversation

4, Receiving feedback regularly to improving daily

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

I think I can improve on all these four parts of framing my words better, on avoiding the fuzzy words, and receiving regular feedback to improve myself by receiving feedback

In 7 cups, I think its important to create a culture of receiving and providing the right feedback, because feedback is one of the main things that make us aware of our spaces that require improvement. As a community that holds the value of High Expectations and High Warmth, healthy feedback is another much needed culture to help our community grow as a whole

StarrrGirl20 August 20th, 2022

@Heather225

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

“The Micro-Yes”

“Data Point”

“The Impact Statement”

“Question”

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself and why?

The "Question" part. I will work on bettering myself in this specific area.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

I believe that in order to enhance listening excellence it is crucial that listeners ask for and receive feedback. The feedback will give them an insight from the outside viewpoint regarding their strengths and weaknesses.

August 22nd, 2022

@Heather225

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

The Micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

The micro-yes, since differently asked questions can contribute to a better understanding.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

Because it promotes growth and learning, plus no one is perfect and there is always something new to learn when we give feedback.

niceworldmnd August 24th, 2022

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question.

I 'Show Impact'

we are a culture of learning , growing , helping others so feedback is there to support all those!

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@Heather225

1. The micro-yes

2. Data point

3. Show impact

4. End on a question

Data point. I think I can improve being more specific about what I'm trying to point out and give feedback on. That would help the receiver of the feedback know what they need to improve more specifically without feeling confused or attacked.

That helps us improve and grow professionally, individually, and as a whole community. It makes us notice things and do our tasks differently and hopefully in a better way.

Mari228 September 14th, 2022

@Here4good74

Putting specific things into words especially in situations of giving feedback to persons about actions like listening or in what they participate can be difficult without it seeming like it’s personal. So I think getting information such as what the persons said to each other and how the people felt saying exactly what was told might help a little to make it more specific and objective.

SirenOfSerenity September 12th, 2022

@Heather225

- The four-part formula that can be used is:

1) The Micro-yes (short and important comment that prepares the brain for feedback

2) Data point (cutting out blur words and helps with specification)

3) Show impact (to express the impact of the data point)

4) Ending with a question to wrap up the feedback (creates commitment instead of compliance)

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

- I think I could improve on ending with a question to make sure that I'm not just telling the person what they need to do or aren't doing. It ensure commitment over compliance.

- Feedback culture is important so that Improvements are always being made to better the community and ourselves as Leaders.

@SirenOfSerenity

Remembering the end to a question is important also so that things circulate and like you mentioned not just a way for the person to comply to the feedback as we’re all human and need things to feel meaningful.

November 7th, 2022

@SirenOfSerenity

as I learned over time you have doing thingsand making thing a habit so it can become automatic.

KimByeongIn September 12th, 2022

@Heather225

The four part formula includes :

1. Micro-yes: It's when you start any difficult message with a small yes or no question so that the brain gets ready or knows that a feedback is going to follow.
  2. Data points: It's when we state the actual statistics or the specific details of the problem rather than using blur words or unnecessary adjectives.
  3. Impact statement: To state how the action actually affected us in any way so as to create a sense of purpose to the whole feedback.
  4. Ending with a question: To end the monotone and create a collective problem-solving environment.

I'm positive that I need to improve on the impact statement since that comes around as a "personal problem" to the feedback-giver and therefore trigger a thought process that eventually leads to defensive replies and thus, make the whole feedback amount to nothing.

It is important to develop a habit of giving and receiving feedback since it is only then that we can perceive our short-comings and repair any damages that we might've done. Through feedback, we can bring about a hidden quality to light. As 7 Cups is a compassionate community, we must help each other become a better version of ourselves, both as listeners/members as well as human beings.

@KimByeongIn

That is a great point to bring up about how difficult it is to work wording the impact of the data because sometimes that really could turn into bringing forth a personal issue the feedback we had on their end. Probably the best way to solve this I’d go focus the impact on how it’s affecting the community instead such as how even with the efforts of the feedbacker if the feedbsckee doesn’t effectively do their part then that’d affect community in such way.

@Heather225

1 the micro-yes starts with a short bit important question such as do you think we can work on some improvements

2 datapoint be specific with what you saw and heard and strictly say this objectively

3 show impact explain how the data inspected you to fill in the reason and purpose behind work

4 end on a question duchas asking person how do they feel or see about this feedback

i think I can improve mostly on the first part which is asking the easy but significant question because that’s something that I just learned that can be effective and realize how it’s useful as a way to transition the conversation to feedback.

It’s important because it’s a way we can take account of each other and Is one of the practical ways we can reach our high expectations goals and show our warmth by commuting by continuing to learn and make things consistent for everyone.

yourbuddy30 October 8th, 2022

@Heather225 What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

The micro yes, the data point, show impact, end with a question

The data point is something I can improve as changing negative feedback into a constructive one can be helpful for the other person to work on it and improve themselves. Blur points can be heard for them to understand what we expect out of them hence making it into data points and providing can be really helpful

We all have scope of improvement. By giving and receiving feedback we can improve ourselves. Getting to know from another point of view can be helpful for us to improve ourselves. We might not think in their perspective which might be actually helpful. We can give and receive feedback and work towards it and contribute to the community in a better way

November 7th, 2022

@yourbuddy30

you did bring. Up some really good points there.

iCareUK October 17th, 2022

@Heather225

I think this raises very good and valid points, whilst we do want feedback to have a reaction for change, it doesn't always achieve this, and the idea is to give the person concerned an opportunity to improve, by giving feedback in the wrong way, this could have adverse reactions.

It is very important to allow the person to be included in the feedback for a way forward rather than posing demands on them, we work together better as a team, by beating someone down, nobody is ever going to see any improvement or way forward.

iCareUK October 17th, 2022

@Heather225

@Heather225

The Micro Yes - A simple yes or no question to inform the brain that feedback is coming and to open up the feedback as a discussion rather than facing the issues of beating someone down

Data Point - Blur words are not direct words, they are words that can show confusion and any feedback needs to be clear, open and concise

Impact Statement - To ensure the affected person understands how the issues affected you personally, they may not have realised it would cause such a problem, right?

End question - Opens up a pathway for the affected person to speak, work together on a solution rather than beating them down, teamwork will always grow, beating down will always have a negative impact.

Personally, if I had to choose, it would to cut out blur words, although I think I'm good at explaining things, always have other people's emotions, feelings and wellbeing at the back of my mind in anything I do, I think I do use a lot of blur words, but honestly, I believe there is always room for improvement in all areas for everyone and we should always work to be better at everything we do.

I think mainly because we want everyone to follow the same procedure and rules, rules define boundaries and it is important we all follow the same protocol, although we have our own techniques in doing things, if we don't follow the same protocol, it can create confusion surrounding people needing feedback.

November 7th, 2022

@iCareUK

Protocal and boundaries are important to follow even so we have our different ways of doing things on cups.

November 7th, 2022

1 : The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

2 data point and showing impact

3 I think giving feedback helps every person grow and be the best that they can be . I think it would help the whole community and also helps cups serve the members the best care they can get,

CosmicMiracle November 10th, 2022
Micro-yes, data point, show impact, end with a question :)

I have been practising the said four-part formula, yey! <3

We don’t have key performance indicators in 7Cups that measure our output so feedback is the best option. This will also serve as an avenue to commend efforts that usually go unnoticed and it helps foster better relationships among people who work together.
zareya November 21st, 2022

@Heather225

1) The Micro-Yes: Great feedback givers ask a question that is short but important. It let's the brain know something is coming

2) Giving Your Data Point: Be specific & objective about what you saw or heard

3) Impact Statement: Name exactly how that data point affected you

4) A Question: Wrap your feedback with a question

I could improve on the 3rd part, showing impact so that I can help grasp the concept better and show others how it affected me directly.

It is important to cultivate a feedback culture on 7 Cups so that Listeners can feel free to ask for, receive, and give feedback that is helpful freely. Feedback helps you improve as a team player and leader.

claj333 December 7th, 2022

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question. It would definitely by the 'Show Impact' part of the formula

A feedback culture is important for everyone to grow and improve, to obtain the best outcomes and the best team of listeners.

Josh3889 December 8th, 2022

@Heather225

Hello everyone,

#1: The micro yes, data point, show impact & end on a question.

#2: I think I can improve on all 4 ways to provide feedback. I give feedback often but I feel like it can be stronger, I love all 4 parts of the formula.

#3: It is really important to cultivate feedback because without feedback you won't have a direction nor goal. You won't know how good or how bad something is. With feedback everyone can set goals, learn & adapted.

iStarlight December 9th, 2022

@Heather225

Situation — Behaviour — Impact — Next

I think situation is the main thing to get myself improve on it because when a situation arrives educating ourself on a topic can improve my personal development skills in any kind of events of my life in a specific situation which my mind and perceptions will change. Hence, helping to build your skills.

I think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups because to emphasize openness and trust. When feedback is cultured to succeed, we must be able to speak our mind which are absolutely critical without any fear of punishment.

Immakindlistener22 December 16th, 2022

@Heather225

'Show Impact' part of the formula

It's important to cultivate a feedback cutlure here because we all have areas that we are not perfect in and requires improvement. By having a feedback culture, it will help us to build trust amongst each other, grow as a team, and make 7cups a great experience for all.

Immakindlistener22 December 16th, 2022

@Heather225

'Show Impact' part of the formula. so that I can grasp the concept well and show others how it affected me directly.

It's important to cultivate a feedback cutlure here because we all have areas that we are not perfect in and requires improvement. By having a feedback culture, it will help us to build trust amongst each other, grow as a team, and make 7cups a great experience for all.

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

1.Show impact,The micro yes, Data point then end on a question

2.Show impact

3.It’s important because feedback helps with growing,no man is an island

Soul576 December 19th, 2023

@Heather225

The four-part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

Data Point – I try not to offend people, by being as nice as possible so I don’t hurt someone’s feelings. I think I could be more direct in my feedback.

I think it’s important because we will never be perfect and we can always improve. We need to improve to make 7Cups better and help as many members as possible

WishUponAStar968 February 12th

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

The one I could improve on is 'Show Impact'.  I think this is a great tool set and skill to have and keep practicing on.

It's important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7cups because constructive feedback, supportive feedback and even navigating feedback is important for members and listeners to know what they did right or what they can continue to improve on.  Everyone is progression and constructive feedback is the most important to all because it helps us gauge where we are and how we can navigate forward.  By having a feedback culture, it will help us to build trust amongst each other, grow as a team, and overall make 7cups a positive experience for all