Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Glencia89 June 8th, 2022

@gentleFox20

It's really nice that you shared you idea here! Simply reject to join in gossip might be easier, but it's really courageous to say something positive about the person when other people talking behind his or her back!

audienta June 25th, 2022

@gentleFox20

Absolutely, gossiping hurts everyone. I think, saying something positive about the person that it's gossiped about, takes a lot of courage, and it's hard to change topic afterwards. Have you a different experience with that?

Glue June 28th, 2022

@gentleFox20

Mentioning to others that you like the person is a good suggestion, absolutely! It also subtly let's people know that gossiping about that person is inappropriate.

Glencia89 June 8th, 2022

1. Why is gossiping bad?

I learned that gossiping makes other people associate this person with the bad trait this person mention. In addition, other people may suspect that this person talks behind their back to and thus not trusting this person.

Personally, I think gossip makes people less unlikely to try new topics and appreciate people around them.
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

“I know nothing about the situation so I could not comment”

(I feel like this statement is easier for the person who invite one to gossip to understand)

Also I learned that exploring new things and topic could helps someone to get rid of the trait. I used to gossip a lot when I was in middle school to be honest. But I find it boring after finding a hobby I truly like.

audienta June 25th, 2022

@Glencia89

I really like the statement you took - I chose a similar one. Also, I admire that you reflect your past behaviours and are willing to change them! That's an amazing trait!

Glue June 28th, 2022

@Glencia89

Gossiping really does make people associate this person with a bad trait. It's also incomplete information too, so it's hard to see bad traits in context. As in: is that behaviour justified? Is it really that commonly displayed by this person? Do they have good character traits as well?

SparklingSeashells July 14th, 2022

@Glencia89

I like the idea of trust, trust is so important!

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Heather225

Gossiping is ba because it may end up spreading false rumours about others that may hurt the person about whom the gossip is done . The situation or the topic can be really sensitive for a person and I think matters like this must be taken seriously instead of gossiping that may worsen the situation more for that person .

What I have learnt from the video is that we never know the other side of the sory or the other person's perspective so without knowing anything its never ever right to talk about it .

audienta June 25th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972

I absolutely agree with you - we never know the other person's perspective. And even if we did, it probably wouldn't be our position to judge and talk about it.

I wish you all the best with your LDP!

magicalOcean594 July 6th, 2022

@audienta

i loved your outlook on gossip!

PhoenixTears5972 August 21st, 2022

@audienta Yes , thank you !! And All the best to you too for your LDP journey ❤️

StarrrGirl20 August 20th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972 thank you for sharing your answer. Loved reading it.

PhoenixTears5972 August 21st, 2022

@StarrrGirl20 Thank you !!

audienta June 25th, 2022

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping excludes the person that is gossiped about and puts them into a bad light. Also, it often makes people that have to listen to you uncomfortable and worried that you might judge about them as well, and they are likely to project the bad qualities that you are giving to your victim onto yourself. So gossiping isn't good for anyone - not for the person you talk about, not for the people that listen to you and even not for yourself.

"I don't know enough about this situation to comment on it." (minute 2.52)

I really like this statement combined with the topic changing tips. For me, gossiping makes me feel really uncomfortable, so when I'm in a group that starts to gossip, I usually just zone out since I don't know how to react. I really liked the last topic tip (health and wellness) since that's actually a small talk topic that I probably can talk about for more than 10 seconds.

LoveTracker July 3rd, 2022

@audienta

Truly said, the video was very precise and connectable in every aspect.

Aileen1114117 July 12th, 2022

Yo, nice insights! Gossiping does unintentionally excludes a person. And yeah it usually makes people uncomfortable.

@audienta

Great how you've highlighted it doesn't benefit anyone.

@sunnyLion4273

i love how you said we now know better, so lets all be encouraging individuals

Glue June 28th, 2022

@Heather225

Gossiping is bad because it creates a toxic environment where gossiping is normal and accepted, meaning that everyone can gossip about everyone. This fosters distrust and disrespect and discourages vulnerability, which is a necessary component for forming deep bonds.

I like the statement: “I don’t know the person’s perspective, so I prefer not to discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.”

@Glue

You have made ur point.

Its all negative so its always best to stay away from negativity.

@Glue

your encouragment is well appreciated glue!

Ninziesss June 30th, 2022

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Because it can be hurtful for the other person who you gossip about. It can also result in spreading lies about something.

You don't know the other person's perspective.

@Ninziesss

Very true

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping in short is Negativity. It ruins the mind state of the person doing, the people hearing and of-course participating "at the very moment" . In short the whole atmosphere is affected is all negative. As rightly said - "gossiping is the faceless demon that breaks hearts and ruins careers. It is a three prolonged tongue that kills three people: The teller, the listener and the person being gossiped about."

If the person is unknown- " As I don't know the person or the situation being discussed, I am no right person to talk or judge on this"

If the person is known - " I always had a good and a healthy relationship with him"

CalmWaves3939 July 7th, 2022

@LoveTracker

Thank you for this Tracker! I agree gossip is fully negative and rarely if ever leads to any good. <3

@sunnyLion4273

I agree Lion. Gossiping never makes the person doing it look good <3 Thank you for sharing

Aileen1114117 July 13th, 2022

It looks like you understand the video very well!

Gossiping feels like it makes yourself looks good but it actually make you look untrustworthy.

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
gossiping is bad because it is poisonous and links negatively on you, it will leave you and the person that you were gossiping with in a negative state, it also shows that you are untrustful
" i don't know enough about the situation enough to comment on it" also pointing out a positive trait about the person that is being gossiped about!

@magicalOcean594

Great response Ocean, thank you <3

@Heather225

1) Gossiping is bad as it can damage someone’s mental health. Gossip is a vicious cycle of hate that only has negative impacts. Its only focus is to harm others even though people may do it to make themselves look better it only makes them look worse. Gossip involves talking about an individual behind their back to someone else. It is usually without their consent or knowledge. Gossip also links with rumours. Gossip is normally how rumours are started. People can often feel betrayed by people due to gossiping and it can cause people to lose trust. This can cause a person's mental health to deteriorate as they have no trust and may fear sharing. Gossip can cause anxiety such as the feeling that everyone is talking about you.

2)Quote: “I don’t know the other person’s perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence”

Those are really nice statements!❤️

Yeah, gossiping harms mental health in many ways and it's usually a vicious cycle in this world.

I was replying to @calmwaves3939

(I forgot to tag)

CalmWaves3939 July 12th, 2022

@Aileen1114117

Thank you for the lovely response Alieen <3

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

Agreed, it's a cycle <3

1. It makes people uncomfortable and feel like they have less privacy

2. You will never know how the person you gossiped feel

Well said and straight to the point <3

blissfulTouch29 July 28th, 2022

@Aileen1114117 I had two experiences one where one of my best friends said that I was gossipping about one of my other friends who wasn't doing it. My friend told me how her other friend felt and really didn't believe me when I told her that I wasn't talking about them. The second experience I had was when I was in the bathroom at my high school and the same friend and another friend were in the bathroom talking and I heard them talking about me and I told my friend later on and she said that she didn't know I was in there.

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@Aileen1114117

thanks for being here on cups, I'm proud of you.

~ "little reminder: Your loved"

- Lena

@Heather225

Gossiping does not benefit anyone. It makes other people see you in a negative light. The person who you are gossiping about feels bad, and is more likely to gossip about you. Those around you, see you in the negative light, and wonder what you will gossip about them.

“I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it.” Feel like it really shows respect, and understanding.

It is a respect thing, I agree. And we're showing others how we'll treat them when they're not around :o