Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad as it creates a negative environment and it is also toxic. The toxicity can make others feel bad and therefore not want to be around you.
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

“Gossiping doesn't do anyone any good”

marvelloustree1111 March 17th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping can prove to be detrimental in the way that it could spread false rumors, bring upon mistrust, harm our image before the person we are gossiping to, and in fact contribute more to the habit of gossiping itself. It could also tarnish the image of the person we are gossiping about by our hurtful words.

2. List a statement you learnt from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
A statement would be:
a. Sorry but I don't know enough on this matter to make any comment or talk about the person in their absence.

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@marvelloustree1111 awesome answer!

marvelloustree1111 March 22nd, 2021

@optimisticDay8079

Thanks day!

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@marvelloustree1111 agreed!

@marvelloustree1111 agreed!

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111 Lovely answer, I agree so much mistrust is created with gossiping

confidentpanda April 15th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111 I love those statements you chose! I almost picked that first one for my answer.

marvelloustree1111 July 9th, 2021

@confidentpanda
Aw, thanks a lot :)

giggleZebra2708 April 21st, 2021

@marvelloustree1111

Definetly well put, and thanks for making 7 cups a better place

July 7th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111
I agree, gossiping does affect the image of both; the person we are gossiping about and ourself!

@Hope2103
Yes Hope, it really does. Thanks :)

Harquinn909 August 4th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111 thats the statement that I picked too. Seems very effective!

LavenderFlower September 25th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111

You really picked up every detail from the video! Really observant analysis of gossiping and why we should avoid it.

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Gossiping is just bad. It is rude to talk about things that may be triggering. Gossiping also may put you or your peers in a bad place emotionally and mentally

2. I could not watch the video because of parent resctrictions

3. Done

blindHeart12 March 31st, 2021

@AdylynS

that awesome answer through you could not watch videos.

cuteeeezombieeee April 8th, 2021

@AdylynS

I agree that gossiping can really bring down someone emotionally and mentally..I hope you succeed in standing up as a good role model to people to stop gossiping! Take care mateheart

I agree! Great points.

giggleZebra2708 April 21st, 2021

@AdylynS

Greatly put, and i am so sorry that you were not able to watch the video

FawkesCare12 May 6th, 2021

@AdylynS

Not sure if you are still unable to watch the video but just in case you're interested, here's a quick summary of the video :)

She explained why gossiping is not good and gave some pointers on how we could deal with it, like:

1. Saying 'I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it'

2. Saying 'I don't know the other person's perspective so I prefer not to discuss'

3. Saying something positive about the person who is being gossiped about

4. Change the topic of conversation like to family or work or travelling or something else that is more positive

AdylynS May 7th, 2021

@FawkesCare12

Sweet, Thanks so much.

FawkesCare12 May 7th, 2021

@AdylynS

Anytime :)

@AdylynS
Well said Adylyn!
And thanks :)

AdylynS July 12th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111
Thank, your welcome?

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Gossiping is just bad. It is rude to talk about things that may be triggering. Gossiping also may put you or your peers in a bad place emotionally and mentally

3. Done

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@Heather225

3. Done

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it can hurt others and we should never do it

I dont know how the other person might feel so I shouldnt discuss things about them when they're not there

kindLemonade April 6th, 2021

@optimisticDay8079

Totally agree with you! <3

@Heather225

1.Gossiping is bad because it can make people feel left out, it can be very harmful and we never now what's fully going on.

2. "I dont' know enough about the situation to make comments on it"

cuteeeezombieeee April 8th, 2021

@thisisirene

Totally agree! We never know what someone else is going through, so it's better to stay silent than spread false information! heartKeep being awesomeheart

shiningSky3745 March 31st, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it can be hurtful towards others and make someone look bad or someone who can't fit in like an outcast

I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

@shiningSky3745

well said shining.

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

As it not helping in our growth and making other look down to feel good is not wise.

It ugly.

The person might not trust with whom we are gossip, as can gossip about them too if they are not around.

It unfair. Waste of time.

UnicornsCottonCandy April 1st, 2021

@Heather225

Gossiping is bad because when you are gossiping about someone, the person who is hearing your gossip subconsciously puts a negative trait on you. In other words, the more you gossip, the more negative things there are for other people to say about you.
To stop gossipiting, it is crucial to avoid conversations which lead to gossiping. This make yourself look more trustful and non-judgemental to other people.

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy True, gossiping can have such a negative impact on your own image too!

pamharley003 April 4th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because you lose trust in those who spread untrue things about others. It can hurt relationships, and in a professional aspect you lose trust in co workers and higher up people.

That we do not know what someone else is actually saying and that being out of the gossip and not feeding into it is mindful.
3.  Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

@pamharley003

yes :( gossiping totally creates lack of trust and hurt relationship

@pamharley003 Wow great points! Thanks for sharing!

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

Gossiping is bad because it might potentially intensify a small problem to bigger than what it is, it also spreads ill words about people behind their back in their absence. It's also a really bad form of communication because it hinders interpersonal and professional relationships between listeners and members.

"If you don't know the full story, don't discuss it with others"

@herealways27

I like this one too ""If you don't know the full story, don't discuss it with others"" ! Will keep it in my memory for next time reply!