Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Fergie12299 February 5th, 2021

@mxmes

Thankyou for that. You hit the nail on the head with your answer, well done

sunlightspirit February 6th, 2021

@mxmes

You are so right about how gossiping just makes you look bad. Excellent point.

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

@Heather225

- Gossipping is toxic and very ugly and a very bad thing to do. It is negative and it leads people to a negative state.

- change the subject for a positive topic or stand up for the person being gossiped about.

January 20th, 2021

@beautifulSeal9714

I agree with you and I like the phrase you chose heart

BellatheHappyHelper January 26th, 2021

@beautifulSeal9714

i agree that gossiping is very toxic, keep up the great work!

January 20th, 2021

@Heather225

> Gossiping is bad because:
1. It can create someone's poor reputation.
2. It can be harmful for the image of the gossiper as well.
3. It can cause misunderstandings which can lead to conflicts.
4. People might begin to sense negativity from the gossiper by time.
5. People will begin to distance themselves from the gossiper as they won't find them trust-worthy.
6. Words hurt more than anything else, gossiping can be very hurtful.

> I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

really good statement to avoid gossiping, i love everything else you stated as well :D

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad for many reasons, one of them being that leaves everyone in a negative state.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

"talk about traveling most people love traveling and if they love traveling they'll love to let you know all of the cool places that they've been traveling and talking about different cities and countries around the world is a topic that's very easy to spend time chatting about ask the people you're with where their favorite place to travel is or where the best food they've ever eaten or where in the world they live or where is a reasonably priced place to have a vacation"

@BellatheHappyHelper

Great answer thankyou

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad for many reasons, one of them being that leaves everyone in a negative state.

"talk about traveling most people love traveling and if they love traveling they'll love to let you know all of the cool places that they've been traveling and talking about different cities and countries around the world is a topic that's very easy to spend time chatting about ask the people you're with where their favorite place to travel is or where the best food they've ever eaten or where in the world they live or where is a reasonably priced place to have a vacation"

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 5th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

Love the way you've put it ♥️

IceCream4IceCream January 28th, 2021

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?
1. Toxic
2. Being positive towards others encourages the same towards yourself whereas gossiping does the opposite
3. People who gossip tend to put others down to make theirselves feel good which is unhealthy and unfair
4. It breaks trust between people
5. Not gossiping will make you more likeable and will project you as non judgmental

“I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it"

“I don’t know the other person’s perspective so I prefer not to discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling."

@jovialButterfly6752

So true..gossip is very toxic and and trust too. Well thought out.

Cristen April 18th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752
Hello butterfly! I like how you listed out the reasons why gossiping is bad blush
Makes it very easy to read and understand!

IceCream4IceCream April 18th, 2021

@Cristen <#waffle heart

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Nice answer! Worded it nicely.

becca2002 January 30th, 2021

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping creates a toxic environment for everyone involved, she said, he said, creates an atmosphere where noone feels comfortable.. It makes people feel targeted and when people take sides there will always be someone who feels unheard and un appreciated...

List a statement you learnt from this video

"Unfortunateley I dont know enough about the situation to be able to comment on it"

goldenFriend9335 February 3rd, 2021

@Heather225

The reason gossiping is bad is that it's used to make someone else look bad, while they are not there to defend themselves. One statement to stop gossiping is "I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it" you could also say something good about the person is question or change the subject

@goldenFriend9335

Yes indeed, gossiping creates a negative environment.

Wonderful responses ♥️

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it is toxic, and it spreads. No good can come from it. If you surround youself with people that gossip all the time then you too will likey become a gossiper so its best to avoid these situations or to just avoid being around people who you know always gossip. The same goes for people who are Negative. If your around perople who are always giving out and complaining then that is going to spred to you, You will end up complaining, and being negative so you can change this by putting youself around positive people. If you surround yourself with positive people then you will be a positive person.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I liked one of the statements that went like ‘’ I don’t know enough about the situation to comment on it’’ It’s a clear message and its subtle enough to tell that person that you don’t want to join in on the conversation that they are having.

@Fergie12299

so true...birds of a feather, flock together..you nailed it.

@Heather225

Top 4 reasons why is gossip bad

One of the reasons why gossiping is bad is because it can ruin the other person’s reputation.

2. People lose faith in you

Once you’ve been pinpointed as the culprit behind the gossiping, people will start to pull away from you. Not only will they not trust that their secrets are safe with you but they’ll also start to wonder what other bad qualities you have.

3. Seriously hurt someone

Gossiping can really hurt someone. And we don’t mean hurt someone as in “make them cry” but hurt someone as in “cause emotional and mental distress leading to depression and thoughts of suicide”.

4. Negative energy

If you’re always spewing nasty things about people, your friends are going to become turned off from you. No one likes a negative Nelly. Plus, no one wants to be poisoned with negative energy, thoughts or emotions. As a result, people will start to avoid you.

I like the statement from the video that says: "I don't know enough about the situation to comment" and Also, reverse the negative into something positive about the person (sticking up for them).

My Short Story About Gossiping

I had a dear girilfriend who had a brain aneurism while at a concert with a few other people. When I arrived at the hopital there were many friends of hers in the waiting room all talking about what happened and as I approached them I heard them blaming one of the other girls that was at the concert with her for not acting quicker or doing enough. I stood there listening to them talk negatively about this girl and it made my stomach sick. Then one of the gossipers turned to me and asked what I thought about the girl they were blaming. I look at each one them and then replied, "I wasn't there and I have not heard her side of the story as I suspect none of you have either" and and turned around and walked away. That girl they were gossiping about was a "friend" of theirs and yet here they were ganging up on her. So, yeah, gossip is ugly.

Cristen April 18th, 2021

@sunlightspirit
Thank you for sharing your story sunlight! And thank you for being able to do what many people might not have been able to do! You're very strong for not succumbing to the gossiping mentality.
It's unfortunate that people can be so quick to blame and gossip about others frown even within friends but your story shows that there can always be that one shining light, like you sunlightspirit, who would be able to be the voice of reason among the negativity of the rest. blush Thanks so much for doing what you do!

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is bad because it is literally just talking about bad, scandalous or potentially untrue things about another person. Do unto others as you wish to be done to you – gossiping hurts others in so many ways.

I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.”

generousBreeze169 February 17th, 2021

@warmLove3625

I totally agree on what you said

considerateParadise6717 February 16th, 2021

@Heather225

Why is gossiping so bad?

Gossiping is bad because it makes others feel bad and while doing that, it makes you seem like the bad person.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

"I don't know enough on the situatiuon to comment on it"

windSpirit March 2nd, 2021

@considerateParadise6717 I agree that it makes other feel bad and makes gossiper a bad person in their eyes.

generousBreeze169 February 17th, 2021

@Heather225

Gossiping is bad because the person can't defend themselves and all that's being said might be completely wrong so it would be extremely hurtful for them

I like the sentence "I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence"

Jili February 28th, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it creates an extremely toxic environment for the community.

I don’t know enough about the situation to comment, and gossiping about others takes away the purpose of chat rooms.

wonderfulKermitKaTy March 1st, 2021

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it can be hurtful towards others and make someone look bad. It can really hurt their feelings.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies

I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

I don't know enough about situation to comment on it.

@wonderfulKermitKaTy Totally agree on that gossiping spreads only pain among the people. Well said.

1. Why is gossiping bad?
A person who hears a gossip assigns bad trait spoken about to who is gossiping. It is done for that gossiper would look good while that person who is subject of gossiping would look bad. People would think the gossiper would gossip about them too. So, gossiping is bad, because it reduces trust, leaves people in negative state, and because it is toxic, ugly and unfair.

Saying about not knowing full details:
"I don't know enough about the situation to comment on".
Saying that person has some good trait and stick up for them:
"I've always found Emily easy to talk with.
Changing subject to more positive topic:
"Hey, let's talk about travel/health/whatever interesting".

@windSpirit

Great responses . ♥️

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad as it really isn't good for anyone, not for the people gossiping and certainly not for the person being talked about . It makes the gossipers look bad and in a negative light ,making them seem more judgmental, unreliable and unpleasant to talk to .

" I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it "

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I like your answers! And great statement! Well done

Kieran000 March 7th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it is harmful to trust and the respect of all people involved as it can spread false information or private information

Should not talk about someone else while they're not present since It may give others a different perspective of that person and it may be false information without their knowledge

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it leads to unnecessary hurt and negativity.

"Gossiping is Toxic"

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@Heather225

Gossiping is unhealthy because this can be hurtful to others and create a negative mindset to yourself.

Statement from video, “I don't know enough about the situation to comment,” this is important because we don’t know everyone’s situation, life, anything. We do not want to assume or talk about someone without knowing anything about them. It’s unfair to comment on someone’s situation without learning anything about it in the first place.

Cristen April 18th, 2021

@KristinHelps
That last part is so true! smiley It's not fair to gossip about someone when we don't even know their full story! Thank you for the reminder!