Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

cuteOrange213 December 19th, 2020

@Containedchaos

I agree that gossiping is very ugly. Redirecting the conversation is definitely a good idea.

Good job answering the question!

cuteOrange213 December 19th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad as it creates a very negative atmosphere around you and it causes everyone listening to worry about what people will say when they are gone.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I don't know much about the conversation, so I am not in a place to comment on the situation.

December 20th, 2020

All that matters is you try your best with this task @cuteOrange213

GlitteringNights December 20th, 2020

@cuteOrange213

Awesome statement! I think that's such a valuable one to be able to use, I'm assuming you agree. It really does work wonders to make people think about what they're actually saying/thinking about a situation.

December 20th, 2020

1 gossiping is when you spread untruths or rumors about other people people. It normally happens behind peoples backs. It makes people not able to trust you if you do it and that makes them question if you are talking behind thier backs.

2 tell people you do not want to hear it stop it there and change the subject

@Colorfulcatsofhope

Great response! You went with something similar to me, in that by gossping it makes people not trust you so much — I'm glad that bit of information stood out to you as well!

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is bad first and formost because it spreads negativity. By focusing on the negative aspects of a person — especially when they aren't there to defend themselves — we spread this idea that we have the right to judge and talk about people behind their back. It's not simply sharing of opinions, telling stories, or expressing concerns about people, gossiping actively spreads negative thoughts and statements to the person you're gossiping about as well as the people you're speaking with.

"If you gossip about someone else, the person listening to you will assume you also gossip about them which means they ain't going to trust you"

thelastiger December 23rd, 2020

Gossiping is bad because people lose trust in the person who is speaking badly about someone who is not there. People may connect the gossiper with the negative traits that are being discussed.

Travel is a sensitive topic to talk about during a pandemic where lockdowns and quarantines are being prescribed, but Health and wellness is a good topic right now.

IceCream4IceCream January 28th, 2021

@thelastiger

That's an interesting way to change the topic away from gossiping. It's nice that it ties into the present moment. Perhaps that will make the people who are gossiping more aware of the impact of their actions and redirect their focus.

JoeyTribbbiani December 26th, 2020

1) It's negative and the one who does it also seems negative. Talking about people in their absence is not a good quality.

2) Taking a side from conversation by saying that I don't know much about the situation or the person who is being talked about

sia1325 December 27th, 2020

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it spreads negativity. It is toxic and can also make others lose their trust in you.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

"I dont know enough of the situation to comment on it"

ouiCherie January 1st, 2021

Hi @sia1325

Love that option phrase of what to say to refuse join a gossip too ❤️ Great answer! 😊

MyNameIsNicole January 3rd, 2021

@sia1325

Most people don't know about the dangers of gossiping. I'm sure this post will help in educating them <3

Thank you for sharing!

mxmes January 14th, 2021

@sia1325

Having toxicity is very bad and we shouldn't participate in anything like that. Great statement you listed as well!

January 20th, 2021

@sia1325

I loved the phrase you chose heart

goldenFriend9335 February 3rd, 2021

@sia1325

Definitly!

generousBreeze169 February 17th, 2021

@sia1325

I totally agree!

wonderfulKermitKaTy March 1st, 2021

@sia1325 right trust is really difficult to rebuild once you destroy your relantionship with the other person. It causes a toxic / not good environment between us.

windSpirit March 2nd, 2021

@sia1325 Trust is really important for us. We must maintain it thouroughly. Great said!

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@sia1325 great answer!

blindHeart12 March 31st, 2021

@sia1325

so true its toxic and lose trust also.

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

@sia1325

I agree that gossiping is toxic and can make people lose their trust in you, especially in professional relationships. This would certainly make others have a negative look on you and hard to erase this impression.

Brinaa101 June 22nd, 2021

@sia1325
Yes! It can make other people not trust you because of your actions!

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace. Nelson Mandela
ouiCherie January 1st, 2021

Hi @Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It is toxic, ugly, unfair and poisonous. The intent usually to make others, who are not present to defend themselves, look bad and to make the gossiper and the participants feel better about themselves. It will eventually end up making everyone participating in a negative state and distrust each other.

Likeable people usually have integrity, fair, honest. Making a choice to not gossip may need practice, discipline and strength to commit to. It will create a huge positive impact in our own life. By refusing to join gossip, we will build people’s trust in us and build a good character.

mxmes January 14th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Great answers!

Fergie12299 February 5th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Thats a great responce thankyou

generousBreeze169 February 17th, 2021

@ouiCher

You described it in the best way!

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Really good answers!

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@ouiCherie i appreciate this answer

jersey123456 October 24th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Well said !

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@ouiCherie

Great answer! You worded it nicely!

MyNameIsNicole January 6th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
3.  Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

- Gossiping is bad because it causes negative feelings between both parties. It also causes conflict and resent between members,due to lack of effective communication.

- "We do not talk about the other man because we do not know his side" I love that statement <3

mxmes January 14th, 2021

@MyNameIsNicole

I agree, it definitely does cause negativity between both parties. That is a great statement!

January 20th, 2021

@MyNameIsNicole

I agree with you and it most definitely is a great statement. heart

@MyNameIsNicole

That sounds like a great way to indirectly tell someone that gossiping is wrong.

@MyNameIsNicole

That sounds like a great way to indirectly tell someone that gossiping is wrong.

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@MyNameIsNicole

We chose very similar statements and I find they are so useful in this modern day. Easy to apply and yet not aggressive to those who are gossiping. I also appreciate how you articulated why gossip is bad, short and sweet and makes sense for people of many age groups in my opinion. :)

Best of Luck on your LDP Journey!

mxmes January 14th, 2021

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it could hurt someone’s feelings and could make a person look bad. It can often make yourself look good, but eventually make you look bad. If you gossip about someone negatively then it can give the other person you are gossiping the idea that you probably gossip about a lot of people. That is also how rumors get around, along with bullying. It can seriously hurt someone or create a big conflict.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

You can point out a quality you like about the person who is being gossiped about. You might like something about the person and you should decide to stick up for that person who is not there. Even if you might not know the person you can mention that you don’t know about the other person’s perspective or know enough about the situation to comment on it.

@mxmes

Good point about bullying! Gossiping can grow into something more and more vicious over time.