Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 4: The problem is the path

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Hello LDP Team!

The problem is the path is the core insight that helps us evolve as individuals and as a community here on 7 Cups.

Here is an overview of this course:

Course Description: It is natural for us to want to avoid problems. Problems can cause worry, anxiety, and frustration. These are feelings that we often want to avoid. Problems, however, are the key to growth. When we face our problems directly we get smarter and grow stronger. A saying that captures this is: Progress = Pain + Reflection. This course helps you learn the value of problems by highlighting the difference between problems you might be concerned about and problems you can directly solve. Next, it walks you through the ancient practice of steering into problems directly in order to unlock their value and gifts. Finally, it helps you identify and measure progress so you can make continued gains in your personal and professional life.

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

Watch the video here

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Watch the second video here

Further Reading (Optional but recommended):

This idea of problem is the path is a reoccurring theme in self help books and especially stoicism. If you are interested in learning more about this thought process, we recommend the following books:

The obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy, by William Braxton Irvine

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

Soul576 December 19th, 2023

@Rosey16

I really love how you think about the team as well as yourself, it shows your great leadership skills!

Soul576 December 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

My circle of concern:

1.       -- War

2.      -- Politics

3.      -- How people view me

My circle of influence:

1.       --How I react to bad news

2.       --How much time I dedicate to my activities

3.       --My Boundaries

One thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence is practising yoga, it allows me to focus on my mind and meditate. I can practise mindfulness and learn to focus on my circle of influence

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

Reactive: Spending time and money on things that they can't do anything about.

Proactive: Focused on the inner circle of influence where their efforts can make a change.

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@Soul576

I really like you use yoga to help stay focused on your circle of influence! Self care is always important!

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@FrenchToast@FrenchToast

Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

3 things in my Circle of Concern :

- Global politics

- Global economy

- Global conflict (war)

3 things in my Circle of Influence:

- seeking to understand

-compassion

-empathy

One thing I can do to focus on my Circle of Influence is to continue to learn, collaborate and build positive partnerships.

Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

What stands out about this executive was their ability to recognize the negative approach & stress of the @FrenchToast

Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

3 things in my Circle of Concern :

- Global politics

- Global economy

- Global conflict (war)

3 things in my Circle of Influence:

- seeking to understand

-compassion

-empathy

One thing I can do to focus on my Circle of Influence is to continue to learn, collaborate and build positive partnerships.

Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

What stands out about this executive was their ability to recognize the unproductive approach their boss was taking, leading to stress & mistrust from others on the team. With this knowledge, they used their circle of influence of anticipation, for their boss, but to also build connection with fellow colleagues by refraining from entering into the "negativity", working to find solutions, while maintaining a professional approach to everyone.

skanslly December 27th, 2023

@CaringSub

good , do you think your answer is similar to calmingsun on page 2?

CaringSub December 28th, 2023

@skanslly

I didn't see that response. This is of my own reflection & my own words. 

CaringSub December 28th, 2023

@skanslly

I never read that response. This was of my own reflection to the questions.

AwarmHEART December 28th, 2023

@FrenchToast

*Circle of Concern:*
1. Negative thoughts
2. Economic Inequality
3. Political Stability

*Circle of Influence:*
1. Sustainable Practices in Daily Life
2. Volunteering for Local Community Programs
3. Advocacy for Social and Environmental Policies

**Analysis:**
In this scenario, an executive stands out for their proactive approach to address global issues. Instead of being solely concerned about large-scale problems like economic inequality (Circle of Concern), the executive takes action in their immediate environment. They focus on activities within their influence, such as adopting sustainable practices in their daily life and actively participating in local community programs. This executive is proactive in seeking solutions within their reach, rather than reacting passively to global issues. The emphasis on tangible, positive actions in the local community reflects a proactive stance toward creating meaningful change.
Lillom January 2nd

Again, epic analysis! Keep up the great effort

Lillom January 2nd
✒️ _Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence._

1. My insecurities of my skills
2. Rushing and stressed in time-critical situations
3. Relying on willpower

1. Scheduling skills
2. Prioritisation skills
3. ICS daily training

Reminder: My career and family in 5 years

✒️ _Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?_

- He read with empathy the underlying concerns of the president. He then tried to buffer his own people to make up for the weaknesses of the president. This cancels out the weaknesses of the president. 
- Worked with the president's strengths

[✒️ _Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!_]

Done
NewYorker11 January 7th

@FrenchToast

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

my circle of concern - unresolved conflict, being better with my money and spending, being more informed about what's going on in the world

my circle of influence -  my parents, my family and my friends

one thing that i can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence is to keep a journal

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

proactive - showed empathy to his fellow employee

reactive - the executive knew when to react to maintain positivity and order 

ReganL January 16th

@NewYorker11

Keep it up you got this!

ReganL January 16th

@FrenchToast

Circle of Concern: 

1) Heath 

2) Education 

3) Out come with life 

Circle of influence: 

1) How I treat my health 

2) Positive impact 

3) Boundaries to myself 

Instead of always focusing on my circle of concern focusing more on my circle on influence will help me achieve greater things. 

~ Regan

WhereIsRed January 17th

@FrenchToast

Circle of Concern:

• Environmental issues
  • National education policies
  • Economic conditions beyond personal control

Circle of Influence:

• Personal health and fitness
  • Academic performance and study habits
  • Building positive relationships with friends

safetysource12 January 22nd

Hi @WhereIsRed

That's great to hear. All the best!

WhereIsRed January 22nd

@safetysource12

thankyou-aliceinwonderland.gif

safetysource12 January 22nd

Hi @FrenchToast

My circle of concern consists of :

- Financial Development 

- Career Development

- Validation of my competency

My circle of influence would be :

- Indulging myself if professional learning and development courses/books/people

- Grabbing available opportunities, putting aside my procrastination

- Mental and emotional intelligence development

Reminder to Focus on Circle of Influence:

Establish a daily reflection routine to assess my priorities and actions, emphasizing those within my control and influence.

I've realized the importance of proactively concentrating on my circle of influence, directing my efforts toward things I can change to foster positive relationships. Being proactive involves leveraging my strengths and collaborating with others to reinforce the team's overall capabilities.

DanCat1128 January 26th

@Rosey16

@Avaria

Rosey you are inspiring 😁😁

Avaria Thank you so much for explaining this chapter in detail that I can understand!!!

Circle of concern (Things I cannot control) is as follows:

1) Other's mood

2) Other's reaction 

3) Other's response

3 things that are my influence (how I influence others)

1) I'm helpful

2) I can find a solution to others that ask for help or I see are struggling. 

3) I can be encouraging and positive 

1 thing to help me to remind myself: I feel bad when I don't help people 

quietlistener2023 January 30th

@DanCat1128  thats great what you did.  Hopefully you will go on to become a great leader in the roles you take. All the best

• @FrenchToast from the first video I recognized  three things outside my circle of concern such as other people's behaviour and ways of doing things, other people's judgments and what they say about me.
  • My circle of concern involves my own behaviour and treament of others, having integrity and keeping to my role and doing what I should be doing

@quietlistener2023 also what I would do to tell myself would be to ask myself if something is helping me improve my role and development or hindering that.  Is worrying about an issue wasting time or is there something proactive I could do able it

@FrenchToast the second video showed the man being proactive and doing what he needed to do.  He focused on his role and in doing things and treating people in a way that encouraged growth and development and did not focus on negative behaviour, judgment opinions and notions.  He seemed to be self disciplined and fair which led to his successes

SilverSeastar January 30th

Hello, @quietlistener2023

I like your analyses. You're doing great! 🌟

SilverSeastar January 30th
✒️ Identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.
Three things in my circle of concern:
  • how people perceive me,
  • the politics in my country, and
  • climate change.
Three things in my circle of influence:
  • how I choose to present myself,
  • how I can use my voice, and
  • how I spend my time and energy.
One thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence:
  • self affirming "I can choose to be a victim or a victor. I can grow or shrink my circle of influence based on what I focus my time and energy on."
✒️ Highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?
  • What stands out to me is the executive could expand their circle of influence by being proactive and empathetic; their goals were achieved through complementing strengths and compensating for weaknesses.
  • They were proactive instead of reactive in that they read the situation, anticipated the president's needs, and responded with empathy.
serenePeace3726 February 2nd

@SilverSeastar I love that you you included climate change and politics. Those are two things I am concerned about that I have little to no control over. i've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your answers!

serenePeace3726 February 2nd

•circle of concern: other peoples behavior what other people think about me, other peoples values.

circle of influence: my actions, my words, my thoughts.

This is something I've been working on for a while. Really trying to concentrate the things I have control over and letting go of the things that I don't. It does lead to a much less stressful life.

• This executive was great, he saw what the presidents weaknesses were and he recognize that his strengths would be a compliment to the presidents weaknesses. by being proactive he became an indispensable part of the company.

WishUponAStar968 February 21st

@FrenchToast

✒️ Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

screen-shot-2024-02-21-at-6-29-44-pm_1708511395.png

✒️ Next, watch the following video and highlight what stands out to you about this executive? What did they do that would be considered proactive as opposed to reactive?

What stood out to me about this executive was that they were trying to explore or discover different ways to talk about other people's problems (rather than own), and what he did that was very intriguing was take a positive from each person (this is very motivating). He is a person who contributes different ways, unique ways to help him and that also assist the entire team. Very motivating to watch and see it in action.

ChromaticFinss February 25th

@WishUponAStar968 

Hey Wish, I appreciate your effort to make your answer more eye-catching using  beautiful graphics. Glad to hear that you want to focus on the things that you can control and allow the rest to go away. That's such a powerful thought. 😊💜

ChromaticFinss February 25th

The three things in my circle of concern. 

Whether I'm enough to do a certain thing? 

What others would have felt about my action? 

Whether I'm falling backwards or going slow? 

Three things in my circle of influence. 

My health 

My reaction 

Practice 

I can remind myself that what others think, feel, or do is out of my hands. I cannot make them feel or think the way I want. I can only focus on doing good in general while prioritizing my values and choices without intentionally hurting anyone. I can remind myself that my only competitor is the current me, by practicing, by taking little steps everyday to become a better version of myself gradually. 💜

What I understood is that being reactive is way more easy than being proactive. Complaining and whining takes no effort and it will not change the scenario. Everyone was sharing their concerns while the executive understood that simply criticizing will bring no good, instead making a move is what necessary. So instead of complaining with them he took an initiative to compensate the weaknesses of the boss. By increasing his circle of influence he became someone who can bring a change in the organization. Like someone said, if you aren't seeing any change, be the change! 

JustSophia March 1st

@ChromaticFinss

Insightful.

4Jasmine February 25th

@FrenchToast

Three things in my circle of concern: other people's actions, other people's words, and other people's choices

Three things in my circle of control: my behaviors, my reactions, and my words

#1 choices for circle of control: Trust is the glue of life. Make a positive difference in relationships. 

Snowy00 February 27th

@4Jasmine

I love this! I have the same problem on constantly worrying about what other people think of me, instead of focusing on my faith. In my faith, what God thinks of me is the only thing that matters. So I have to remind myself that what others say or think are of no concern to me, and in the grand scheme of life, doesn't matter one bit. At the end of my life, I want to be able to say that I focused on bettering and growing myself, not have to say that I was too focused on what others thought of me that I didn't accomplish what I wanted to or what I was destined to accomplish in life.

You've got this Jasmine! 💪

4Jasmine February 28th

@KaylaMaulfair

Thanks.😊

4Jasmine February 25th

@FrenchToast

What stands out about about this executive is that he was proactive about the situation with his boss. He empathizes, understands, supports with his corporate peers. He provided recommendations to has boss as he gave his expected report. 

Snowy00 February 27th

@FrenchToast

Circle of Concern:                                                Circle of Influence:
1.) How others see my past & judge me for             1.) My faith
it                                                                        2.) My integrity & morals
2.) How my brother see me & what he might         3.) My work ethic
do next to negatively impact my life 
3.) My health & constantly worrying about
what will happen next              

One thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence, is to be mindful of what thoughts are going through my head, and what feelings I am experiencing. Being mindful about my thoughts gives me a chance to correct myself on what I am focusing on, and redirect my thoughts back to my circle of influence.

The executive was very proactive. Instead of getting frustrated and upset and talking about his boss with his other coworkers, he chose to work harder, figure out his bosses strengths and weaknesses, and find ways to complement his bosses strengths, and fill in for his weaknesses. When he chose to work like this, proactively, it helped to make the team work better and more efficiently. I absolutely loved this video and this entire lesson!!

I will respond to one of my peers after posting this discussion.

4Jasmine February 29th

@FrenchToast

Three things identified in my circle of concern:

1) Other people's actions

2) Other people's words

3) The past

Three things identified in my circle of influence:

1) My behavior

2) My reactions

3) My decisions 

One thing I can do to remind myself to focus on my circle of influence:

1) Be proactive, always treat people as if they are proactive. 

4Jasmine February 29th

@FrenchToast

In the 2nd video the leader didn't listen to his team and was too dictorial. One employee was proactive by listening to his peers, taking time to talk things through with them, empathize with them, and hear their recommendations. Then he complemented his leader's strengths and compensated for his weaknesses. 

JustSophia March 1st

Watch the following video and identify 3 things in your circle of concern, 3 things in your circle of influence, and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence.

1. When I perceive people's intolerance and inability to compromise with one another.

2. Aspects my own health and abilities following injury

3. Racism

____

1.  Reminding myself of my own circle of influence and cultivating acceptance of what I can and can't control

2. Maintaining integrity when I do encounter instances of the above (racism and other forms of intolerance)

3. Doing what I can to improve my skills and abilities (injury)

This executive accepted the circumstances and worked with them instead of against them.  He worked with the people around him, including his boss, to the true benefit of everyone.  He is an example of awareness of different styles of leadership and adapting in an effective manner. 

Listened, observed, perceived, supplied the skills that were "missing" to make a productive whole.  Not to mention that he worked hard and with dedication to do it.

sky2Ocean20 March 6th

@FrenchToast

-> 3 things in my circle of concern

•  How other people perceive me
  • Nobody cares
  • People are out there to get me

-> 3 things in my circle of influence

• There is no need to think about what other people think about me. My actions and efforts should matter to me.
  • People do care and are ready to collaborate if they can get along.
  • Things happen in life. Uncertainty is not always bad. 

and 1 thing you can do to remind yourself to focus on your circle of influence

• I can communicate efficiently and able to bring out the best with my right behavior. 

• Read the room and did not complain without analyzing both sides.-that stands out to me about that executive.
  • Proactive: Made a plan and with details, worked on solving the issue without blaming anyone's behavior. 
  • reactive: It would have been reactive if they focused on the problem and not on finding out a way to bridge the gap. 

March 8th

@FrenchToast

Circle of concern

Other's feelings

Economy

Future

Circle of influence

Myself

Time management 

Thing's that makes me happy 

1 things to focus on circle of influence 

by being proactive within this circle, and largely ignoring anything outside of it. To put this another way, focus on the things you can influence, control, or change, rather than the things you have no say over.

Reactive: Taking a decision without deeply thinking about it.

Proactive: Making a plan before action or taking preventive measures.