Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 5: 7 Cups Culture

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

I hope you have been benefitting from this course. This is the last discussion of our course 1.

We take culture seriously on 7 Cups because it is the heart of how we operate. A wise person once said: You teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are. We can have all of the best training content we want, but if our culture is not strong, then we will not be successful in growing a thriving, compassionate, community that will make a global impact.

Every organization has a culture whether by design or by default. When culture (including values and mission are not called out or made explicit, the organization defaults to an implicit or unstated culture. The unnamed culture is not always great for the end users or the community. An example of a common and implicit cultural rule or norm is that the person that makes the most money or the organization is the most important. People that work in this organization then, naturally, because it is the culture, start organizing themselves around ways to make more and more money. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the ones that make the most money. 7 Cups cares less about money and more about compassion. We call out compassion and celebrate compassionate people because that is central to the work we do.

FT6CBiW5mVP47-wPWozenRPs1u_IcJFHK_pus9qrgivlnIIbmyDplc84Ru-cASd7AH40vsu1Vj5avJ6OJFk9NIPuWr9o2TEZWsfSqHEJ-4wH81EjqCRd3htZHlcV5jgm-IsTiS3qCuysg629t1KLqt5NTYLQ4sF2G7Y6WzNoLycU_Cvv1miPljX03b2NPQ

View picture source here

Please read our guide here to deeply understand our culture. We have made it explicit because we believe it is important to help us all be accountable to what we stand for and believe in. As leaders on 7 Cups, you will be models that emulate our culture and values.

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

❗❗After posting, please...

1. Take the course exam here to complete course 1.

2. Take the leadership oath here.

3. Fill out the End of Trial form to complete your 2-week trial (Please check your email for End of Trial date.)

4. Proceed to Course 2!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

Ivy229 May 21st

@Hope

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you. 

1) Your Work Matters     7 Cups is the largest mental health system in the world. Reviews in the app store frequently discuss how 7 Cups keeps people from suicide, helps them overcome addictions, and brings them back to a place of light and hope. This isn’t an exaggeration. Your work saves lives.

2) A big part of flourishing is doing work that is personally fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is a) work you are good at; b) work that is interesting to you; and c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015). 

3) We Expect Failure      Failure is nothing to be scared of and it is nothing to worry about as long as you are focused and trying. Failing because you are distracted or because you are simply not trying is a problem.

tuffattack May 28th

@Ivy229Thats great!

tuffattack May 28th

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you. 

1. Failure is ok  sometimes

This is a lesson we can all take for most things in our lives 

Collaboration is key 

Working together helps us improve as listeners, and helps us be apart of something bigger

My work matters  

I help by listening to others and in roles  

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

@Hope 

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

1. To learn to put my mental health first in order to prevent burn out 

2. It's ok to fail, as long as you don't give up and keep trying

3. Communication and collaboration are important and necessary skills 

whattospeak June 10th

@whimsicalCloud4661

Communication is highly important. :)

twerp August 11th

@whimsicalCloud4661

It's good to know that it's alright to fail lol! I hope this program is going well for you whimsical

whattospeak June 10th

@Hope

To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you.

-Caring for People with Fewer Financial Resources

-Try Hard

-Accountability

We live in a world where money is one of the sources of our basic needs. Not a few folks have access to money. Therefore, I believe these key factors are what important me while going through the guideline.

patientShell1003 June 19th

@casterDjack very good choice.

patientShell1003 June 19th

Caring for people with fewer financial ressources. It is important to care about them because we are a team. We can help them to live a better life.

Trust. To do a great work, we have to be able to trust each other.

Try hard. If we do not try hard for things we want to do, we will not have a lot of chances to succeed.

Cynthialy June 22nd

@patientShell1003 These are very true important values

Cynthialy June 22nd

@Hope What stood out to me the most was collaboration, compassion, self-efficacy, and self-care. These are highly important values for me since I was young as I believe our society would be a better place if we took care of ourselves and others

wishfulForest1871 June 27th

@Cynthialy

Absolutely! It's inspiring to see your dedication to values like collaboration, compassion, self-efficacy, and self-care from a young age. These qualities truly make a positive difference in our world. Keep nurturing these values—they will continue to guide you towards making meaningful impacts in both your personal life and society as a whole. Your commitment is commendable!

wishfulForest1871 June 27th

@Hope

• Trust and Accountability: Trust is essential for a supportive environment where accountability ensures everyone takes responsibility for their work and commitments.
  • Problem-Solving and Growth: Embracing challenges as opportunities for growth helps individuals develop skills and drives organizational progress.
  • Self-Care and Well-being: Prioritizing self-care ensures individuals maintain health and happiness, contributing to long-term success and fulfillment.

Ivebutterfly July 5th

@wishfulForest1871 I think those are such important goals which is good both for the community and hopeful for your personal life as well. I think it is good that you identified this from the guide and I wish you luck from your journey.

Ivebutterfly July 5th

@Hope

1 - Choose a role which suits your strength and helps benefit the community

2 - It's okay to get things wrong and the most important thing is to realise your mistakes and learn from them

3 - Work hard for your role and prioritise yourself and your mental health and this will allow you to perform better

Damonchandio July 11th

@Ivebutterfly

😃

Damonchandio July 11th

@Hope

✒️ Three Most Important Things I Learned

1.  7 Cups values compassion above making money. This keeps our focus on helping people, not profit.

2. Stating our values and mission guides our actions and ensures we're all working towards the same goals.

3. Recognizing compassionate actions encourages more kindness and empathy in our community.

These points remind me that staying compassionate, aligned, and encouraging is key to building a strong, supportive community.

hirai111 July 20th

@Damonchandio

Well said! I think you worded everything perfectly. :)

Rosie002 July 15th

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you. 

1) Expect failure.

As a perfectionist, this is something I really need to remember, and to remind myself that failure is okay and is how we continue to learn.

2) Take care of yourself.

Often, I put everybody else first and forget that I need to look after myself too. I aim to practice a form of self-care every day. I can't pour from an empty cup.

3) Self-efficacy/mastery.

This is important for me as I want to grow my practice and become more confident in my abilities.

Alambo905 July 26th

@Rosie002

I hope you succeed in all your endeavours ☺️!

hirai111 July 20th

@Hope

The 3 most important things I learned from the 7 Cups guide that are important to me are the following:

Accountability because it makes sure you do tasks efficiently and be responsible for the work you do.

Taking Care of Yourself because it prevents you from burning out and allows you to give your best efforts in your work.

Collaboration because teamwork is efficient, supportive/inclusive, and allows a range of ideas to be shared.

Noor511 July 26th

@hirai111 that's all amazing answers 💗

Noor511 July 26th

@Hope

✒️To help make it more real, in this post, please highlight the 3 most important things you learned from our guide and why they are important to you 

Trust : trust is vital because it creates an environment where individuals and organizations can thrive also broken trust can be like pandemic or fast evolving disease as one member broken trust towards someone it will become 2 members then members ...... And it goes on. 

Expect failure: as it turns obstacles to learning opportunity and help who ever failed not to fall in the darkness of their fears and high expectations .

Take Care of Yourself: even though i don't fully believe in you can't pour from an empty cup cuz most humans do try to give what they never had , i still believe that taking care of yourself is gonna make it easier to help others.

Noor511 July 26th

@Noor511 then 3 members**

Alambo905 July 26th

@Hope

The 3 most important takeaways for me from this discussion I regards o the 7 Cups culture  are the following:- 

1. High expectations and High Warmth - One of the things I noticed from the beginning when I started out as a Listener here at 7 cups exactly a year and a week before, is the equal level of expectations and warmth that was asked and given to me. I was often reminded of my roles and responsibilities while simultaneously felt the sense of belongingness in the community from the mentors and fellow listeners alike. Even while pointing any error in my side, if was dome in a constructive manner just as the way I was praised for my work. This aspect of the of the 7Cps culture is what motivated me to pursue further and not lose touch even if the break was long.

2. Accountability - Though having interests and possessing the skills to contribute is required to get the work done, being accountable ensures there's consistency and orderliness for efficiency in the final product.

3. Skin in the game - True achievement can't be reached or felt if whatever work done is on a surface level. Only when we try immerse ourselves in the tasks at hand can we really give it our all leading the best outcome possible.

CaringCompanion22 July 27th

@Alambo905

Those all sound like very good points! 

CaringCompanion22 July 27th

@Hope

1. Strength based approach- rather than dwelling that I won't be a good leader because of my shy personality. To change that mindset to what are my strengths that I can utilise 

2. Don't stress too much over failure-sometimes I feel like everything have to go right but just got to remind myself it's ok for things to go wrong somtimes but what is best is to see what you learn from it. Reflect and see what can be done so that that incident won't happen again. 

3. Self care- despite how much I love supporting others, I need to make sure I'm taken care of- practicing self care, so that I have a greater capacity to support others! 

KindleMissie August 2nd

@CaringCompanion22

Totally agree! 

KindleMissie August 2nd

@Hope

1. Caring for people with fewer financial resources: 7 Cups supports people who do not have alot of money. I think it is important since in most of countries people are not even aware by therapies or therapists or even psychologists and if by any chance a person knows it and wants support. It costs them so much.

2. Skin in the game: 7 Cups is all about making the world a better place to live. In my opinion, it's a great work. As there are not so many people who think like that but look at here we have  a vast community here helping people out. Just working for good cause helps to build trust, collaboration, equality, friendliness, efficiency, accountability, fun and many more. I am so happy to be a part of this wonderful team.

3. Take care of yourself: 7 Cups ensures each of it's clients health and I agree with it that we can't save someone else if we by ourselves are drowning in the troubles end.

LittleEggHarbor August 2nd

@KindleMissie Caring for people who do not have a lot of money is very wholesome and inspiring for me. Everyone deserves access to a support system. A lot of 7 Cups has personally helped me: the listener 1 on 1, group chats, forums, paths, and the academy. I'm looking forward to watching 7 Cups continue to grow and advance. 

KindleMissie August 2nd

@LittleEggHarbor

You are absolutely right!💯 It's really inspiring. I wish to see 7 Cups grow and develop more so everyone in this world can have access and they can get support. I am glad to know that you are getting all the support with wonderful features of 7 Cups!😃💗

LittleEggHarbor August 2nd

@Hope

At 7 Cups, we prioritize aligning your strengths and interests with meaningful work that addresses important problems. Our focus on strengths-based work ensures productivity and personal fulfillment, while collaboration and trust are central to our culture. We value conscientiousness and friendliness, encouraging continuous learning and problem-solving, with a supportive environment that allows for failure as a path to growth.

Three Important Points:

1. Strengths-Based Approach: Aligning work with your strengths and interests enhances productivity and fulfillment.
2. Collaborative Trust: Trust and collaboration are essential for solving complex problems effectively.
3. Growth and Learning: Continuous learning, problem-solving, and accepting failure as a growth opportunity are key to personal and professional development.

These points are important because they align with the values of creating a supportive, productive, and growth-oriented environment, which is crucial for personal and professional fulfillment. 

1. Strengths-Based Approach: Focusing on strengths ensures that individuals are engaged and motivated, leading to higher productivity and personal satisfaction.
2. Collaborative Trust: Trust and collaboration foster a positive work culture where diverse ideas can flourish, leading to innovative solutions.
3. Growth and Learning: Emphasizing continuous learning and accepting failure as part of the growth process helps individuals develop resilience and adaptability, which are essential for long-term success and fulfillment.
twerp August 11th

@Hope

<3 - "Conscientiousness is the biggest single indicator of success."

<3- "We are using our brains in a focused and deliberate manner to problem solve."

<3- "Failure is nothing to be scared of and it is nothing to worry about as long as you are focused and trying."

These are three different quotes form the culture guide that really hit home (theres so many more lol!) but these are the ones I can relate to the most.

I'm happy to complete course 1!!! Yay

heathermarie95 August 20th

@Hope

1. Burnout - preventing burnout looks like taking time for yourself. i have also learned that burn out can be caused by consistently repeating your duties without taking a break

2. It is okay to fail but its important to get back up and try again. nobody is perfect. 

3. Accountability -  its important to take charge of your faults and try to change your ways to be successful

Onyx000 August 22nd

@heathermarie95 definitely like this it’s okay to fail 😀

Onyx000 August 22nd

@Hope

7 cups being being largest mental health provider !
Expecting failure
Having fun is important

Dorcas00 August 31st

@Hope

The three most important things which I leaned from this guide are

Building trust,Trying hard and knowing my strength(Strength based)

Building trust is fundamental to any relationship because it forms the foundation for genuine connection and effective communication. I’ve learned that trust is cultivated through consistency, transparency, and reliability. When you consistently act with integrity and keep your promises, you create a safe space where others feel valued and understood. 

Trying hard is often a positive approach because it reflects commitment, effort, and perseverance. 

Knowing your strengths is crucial because it allows you to leverage your skills and talents effectively in various situations. By understanding what you're good at, you can focus on areas where you can excel and make a meaningful impact.

NeonDragon September 2nd

@Hope

1. I've learned that alignment is very important to achieve meaningful and significant activity and effective leadership requires aligning your interests, strengths, and the needs of the community.

2. I learned that I'd be more productive, effective, and fulfilled when I utilize my innate abilities.

3. It's very important to take breaks in order not to feel burnout. Focus on my own mental health in order to be more helpful to others.

All of this is very important to me because it offers me opportunities for personal growth, self-awareness, and skill development which would help me ✨glow ✨ Through this program I will be able to contribute to a supportive environment while also grow both personally and professionally!

radiantUnicorn3506 September 10th

@NeonDragon

Its amazing that your focusing on personal growth and self awareness those are some really good points in life we can focus on to improve our knowledge and skills. I'm glad this program is helping you glow that's wonderful. I hope you have an amazing day and good luck for the course 1 quiz.

radiantUnicorn3506 September 10th

@Hope

1.One major lesson I learned is to except failure which is something I struggle a lot with because I have a lot of people who put trust in me which ultimately just roads to be feeling pressured to do my best but allowing myself to except my failures would allow me to learn from them rather than be afraid of falling which I think is a pretty good way to improve myself.

2. Is the gas tank metaphor I loved this because self care is so important at times but I tend to forgot that a lot in order to be able to finish my work and do my best. The idea that my metaphorical gas tank needs to be full for me to do my best is a really good way to visually remind myself of when I need to take a break before my behaviour starts to drain others and influence me negatively.

3. I also enjoyed the idea of first identifying our strengths and using these strengths ro improve our skills. The idea that we all are unique and able to solve the same issue through different paths based on the knowledge and strengths we possess in true and it was nice to be able to identify which qualities of mine are most useful 

I really loved the whole guide and learned a lot of new things which I will try my best to apply to my daily life to improve my contributions on 7 cups and in my daily offline life.