Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my journal: various subjects, opinionating, CW at times

slowdecline48 June 24th, 2022

The title explains itself.

If you're interested in the ramblings of a middle-aged man with chronic conditions who, at times, sees things a little too clearly for his own good, then read on.

Sometimes I get political, but it won't be all the time.

I don't mind comments in general but if you're going to differ with what I write, that's fine--as long as you can explain your position clearly & reasonably. Rants, shouting & general incoherence will be ignored or flagged, depending on the situation. Try to remember that not everyone else in this world holds your beliefs.

Every so often I may post art or snapshots of projects I'm working on.

If you're still interested after reading all the above, great. (I do wonder at how much time you have on your hands, though)

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@Tinywhisper11 man with hole * in his pocket

slowdecline48 OP March 4th

@Tinywhisper11 All kidding aside, a haiku is a poem of three lines with five syllables in the 1st & 3rd lines, & seven syllables in the 2nd line. The Japanese invented the haiku form. I don't know exactly when, but people have been writing haiku poems for a very long time.

That's not exactly a haiku, but it is a pearl of (ahem) wisdom of the Far East 😏 ...from an old Chinese scroll written during the Hungdong dynasty, if memory serves. The same source has other sayings, like

"Man going through airport turnstile
sideways is surely going to Bangkok."
Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 ok I have never heard of the hundong dynasty, and I don't know what a syllable is??

I'm sorry I'm not the cleverest of people, actually I'm really dumb. So you'll have to be patient with me ❤❤❤ hugs you tightly ❤

... 🤨 😒

...never mind, Lo. The "Hungdong" thing was a joke...it went right over your head, clearly.

If you're serious, then a syllable is part of a spoken word. For example, the word "example" has three syllables: ek-ZAM-pull (phonetically). The name "Bob" has one syllable while "Robert" has two, see? And that's the end of your English lesson for this morning.

Further info on syllables can be found here. (No, it does not go to YouRube)

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 yeah! I did not get that joke sorry. And oh ok so lola would be two syllables. I'm sorry  for sonuding dumb, I never went to any school, and I've had to try and learn everything about this world theese past few years. Sorry ❤

You're not dumb, dear...you're just uneducated. That is not the same thing. Dumb people (in my book) have opportunities to gain knowledge & never do. They don't bother to learn, because they are not interested in learning about anything. Your situation is different: you never got a chance to learn about this world. Cults usually restrict what their members can do...one of the most frequent rules is "no reading or listening to any non-cult writing, music or other media". There is no telling what you would know by now if you'd had a normal childhood.

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 oh I wasn't a member I don't think, slaves were not tested as humans like the grown ups. And they did teach me how to read and write. But nothing else, I didn't know tv, technology, music or anything existed

@Tinywhisper11 There you go. How could you possibly learn much about this world if you never had access to modern technology or communications?! No wonder you're having to play catch-up now... Clearly, those cultists didn't care about educating their slaves. 😤

God, I hate cults. They test the limits of religious tolerance, wherever they exist.

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 oh wow! Porodys, vowels I have no idea what they are😞 and consonants I thought were a space thing😢 I really am thick

Again, you're not thick. You just have a lot to learn, & are starting a bit late. No shame in that...in some ways I've been a late bloomer, too!

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 you are? Really? Cause theres 2 people on this site are the cleverest people I've ever met, and one of them is you ❤ HealingTalk is the other one

@Tinywhisper11 Welcome to linguistics! 😆 Now you have a safe rabbit hole to go into... Who knows? If you stick with it, you might become the care home's resident linguistics professional. That would be an interesting development...

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 I love you ❤❤ one day I'm gonna learn everything there is to learn. I'm gonna look like this oneday🤓

I've never seriously believed in reincarnation, or "past lives"... However, if I did I'd guess that in a previous life I was either

1. a cow, or
  2. a homebuilt methane generator.

I'll let you figure out why.

Tinywhisper11 March 4th

@slowdecline48 a cow haha!🐄🐄 I bet it was a cow😂😂😂😂 wonder what you'll be in your next life🤔🤔🤔🤔

Knowing me, I'll probably be a mud volcano... 🌋💨💩💩💩

Tinywhisper11 March 5th

@slowdecline48 😂😂😂😂😂😂

slowdecline48 OP March 5th

Accidental Humor

maryjane_1709624217.jpg

Tinywhisper11 March 5th

@slowdecline48 oh dear! Parents do not buy this for your kids, I repeat do not buy😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yesterday I still managed to do what I had to (medical appointment, x-ray) even with fiery guts & lower back pain. But it took quite a bit of energy overall. By the time I got home, I felt fairly drained.

This morning my GI tract has settled down, thank the spirit of Montezuma* for his mercy...my back still hurts, however. Today will be the 4th day of going through this s***. Absurdity. I am so shoddily constructed, it's ridiculous.

Right now, all I wanna do is drink something & lie down...& transplant my brain into some kind of high-speed, armored robot body. That would solve most of my problems, right there. If it were possible I would happily leave this 3rd-rate bag of guts & bones for the gators to eat.

*Montezuma's revenge--except I haven't gone to Mex. And I don't contract intestinal parasites from bad food. Gotta love IBS.

Tinywhisper11 March 6th

@slowdecline48 I feel your pain😥

I cruised through the Music & Dance forum here about three times now... Am pretty sure that one reply I posted disappeared. Oh well *shrug* ...it got me thinking, though.

Would anyone here be interested in a playlist? It would be from my own preferences. You would get an idea of my taste in music. Who knows whether you'd agree with it or not, for taste is purely subjective as always, gentle reader.

In other news, it's not news: my conditions have me parked in my office chair....but I did manage to do a bit of sanding on a small project this morning. A minor triumph.

Tinywhisper11 March 6th

@slowdecline48 any triumph is a huge one. I wanna listen to your taste in music. Only problem I can only use Amazon music

slowdecline48 OP March 6th

@Tinywhisper11 You can't use SoundCloud? Don't tell me the people who run the care home decreed SoundCloud off limits, too... There isn't even any video on the site! I'm pretty sure there are filtering options there, if certain content is problematic. Even then, it all comes down to what you're looking for...somehow, I just can't imagine you blaring songs by Slayer or Mastodon out of the speakers.

Tinywhisper11 March 6th

@slowdecline48 no it's not of limits I can get it 🤔🤔 if I knew how, but  I hear voices, music calls them, but when adverts come on it frightens me a bit. And confuses me, it's a similar effect with tv. So at the moment I'm not mentally able to watch it. They got me Amazon music, cause it's nom stop music. No adverts

mytwistedsoul March 6th

@Tinywhisper11 Hey ❤️ Maybe @slowdecline48 could just put the titles and artists here and you could look them up on Amazon? 

Tinywhisper11 March 6th

@mytwistedsoul I can do that ❤😁 good idea soul ❤❤

mytwistedsoul March 6th

@Tinywhisper11 ❤️ Yay! Figured it might just be easier for you that way. Hopefully Slow can just copy and paste his playlists 

slowdecline48 OP March 7th

@Tinywhisper11 As far as I know, SoundCloud doesn't have ads either. There's tons of free tracks on there, of all kinds. There are also tracks you have to pay to listen to, & entire albums you can download. Ads are only a problem on platforms like YooToob; aside from--

*80-decibel announcer voice* HAVE YOU BEEN INJURED IN A CAR ACCIDENT? AT WORK? WERE YOU WRONGFULLY LET GO FROM A JOB? CALL THE HAROLD & SHADOWSHYSTER LAW FIRM TODAY! WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS & GET YOU THE MAXIMUM SETTLEMENT, SO YOU CAN GET BACK ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY. CONTACT HAROLD & SHADOWSHYSTER RIGHT NOW AT 1-800-295-4646! THAT'S 1-800-295-4646!
--YT, I haven't had too many problems with ads. The only real exception is on the platform whers my art community is...if you're not a "supporter" (meaning you don't donate a few bucks every month) every so often a begging ad for signing up as a supporter flashes on the screen.

mytwistedsoul March 7th

@slowdecline48 Sorry I know it's for Tiny but HAROLD & SHADOWSHYSTER LAW FIRM OMG! 🤣🤣 Man I needed that laugh

Tinywhisper11 March 7th

@slowdecline48 I've not heard of SoundCloud. I'll look into it ❤❤

slowdecline48 OP March 6th

It's weird...despite their being way overplayed in the early to mid-2000's & my never having been into their music, I kinda miss the Red Hot Chili Peppers now. Am not sure why...guess it's nostalgia.

Every older person says this about the decades they grew up & experienced young adulthood in but to he11 with it...I'm gonna say it anyway: The 1990's & the early 00's were a special time. You kids born after the turn of the millennium have no idea what you missed. We had our problems then, but that's nothing new...every era has its problems. I could go on at length as to what was great about those decades... All I'm saying is, there was no time like the 90's & the millennium's turn before, & it will never be repeated.

slowdecline48 OP March 7th

I could complain some more today...the way things are shaping up, this will be an interesting year. In the way of that not-actually-Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times". Definitely have reasons to b**ch & moan now... But then I remember that several members here (maybe a majority??) have worse problems than mine. So I feel like I shouldn't say anything...

Tinywhisper11 March 8th

@slowdecline48 never compare your problems to others, your problems are equally as bad as any one elses

slowdecline48 OP March 8th

@Tinywhisper11 Fair warning: if you read this then we're goin' off into the weeds here, because I'm in bed with a mild flare-up but feeling philosophical this time...

So I kinda see your point but that isn't exactly how I would phrase it. It's not a question of whether my problems are "equal" to anyone else's, so much as the fact that personal problems are subjective. Inherently so. They cannot be otherwise, because while some of us can mentally "put ourselves in someone else's shoes" to an extent (how well one can do it depends on empathy, imagination & a basic level of intelligence), that only goes so far. Person A can never completely know person B's experience because A can only be A...A cannot be B. I believe this is true for every living thing.

In my initial post, I was thinking of you among others. Your story is rough as shark's skin rubbed backward...but I've never gone through daily life without legs or a broken spinal column. Nor was I raised inside a cult. (My spiritual journey would need a whole other post!) I will never know what it's like to go through such horrific experiences. I can sort of empathize with you about Joshua; while I've never given birth or lost a baby, I have lost loved ones--their physical deaths were almost a relief, as the last few years of their lives were the real tragedy. Yearrrrs ago I took in a baby bird that had fallen out of a nest, & tried to nurse it back to health. The pathetic little creature didn't last 72 hours. I tried my best but it wasn't good enough. I buried the bird, grieved for a couple nights, then went on with my life.

By the same token, you will never know how it feels to have once been strong & quick & sharp--even with the few little chronic ailments I had, I was something--only to find out your body is just not strong enough to do the work you set out to do, twice...& then to watch even the limited physical ability you have to crumble half to dust, with the onset of a condition that can't be cured & robs your life of most possibilities for happiness.

You also do not know what it's like to make a mistake that will affect the rest of your life, & have to go through your days while aware that when it came to a major decision in your early adulthood, you f**ked it up. If I could do it all over again, I would go to a university but I'd definitely not go in the direction I went in while I was a student. Some mistakes in life can be fixed, but my choice of major isn't one of them. Once in a while, mentally I still kick myself over it.

Tinywhisper11 March 9th

@slowdecline48 I understand all that as much as I possibly can ❤❤

I was just saying that you have every right to feel the way you feel, and be the real you ❤ because I believe

It doesn't matter who's rich and who's poor, who's had it easy and who's had it hard, it doesn't matter who came from where, we are all humans, we all struggle we all suffer, we all feel the same emotions. We are all in the same boat ❤

Lately, in a few of my dreams things occur in places where I was a kid...at times, where I was very young. Why I'm having these dreams now, I don't know...

Maybe because the older you get the less time you have left? Therefore when I nod off & start to mentally drift, subconsciously I'm returning to where I still have time...where the future has yet to play out. But this is just a hypothesis.

...Christ with a pie to the face, I f$¶€ing hate getting old.

....there are times when I'm
just tired of being alive.