Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Where Words Fail, Music Speaks"

Ivy229 May 23rd

Hi fellow IDG members,

In this post I would like to discussion one of my favorite music quotes and how it relates to inner development growth. Music is truly one of the most universal languages in the world and has the power to transcend across all barriers of communication.  The famous quote by Hans Christian Andersen, "Where Words Fail, Music Speaks" does just that in a simple yet powerful quote. 

music-speaks_1716469375.jpg

Some of the ways music connects with inner development growth includes music can help express thoughts, feelings, emotions, bridges the gap where one person can connect with a person deep down in the most vulnerable parts of your soul, it can stimulate the mind, and even alter our mood. All these aspects can lead to increased self-awareness and personal growth. 

Additionally, it makes sense why music therapy is a specialized form of treatment apart from the traditional method of talk therapy. Some of the reasons behind this is because it provides comfort during good moments just as well as the most challenging and darkest moments a person can go through. It motivates you to work out, to relax, to feel better when you are down, inspire and help contempt life decisions. 

In essence, music can speak to us in ways that words sometimes cannot.

Discussion Questions:

Can you share a personal experience where music helped you express or understand your emotions when words fell short?

How do you think music contributes to personal development and growth? Can you provide examples from your own life or observations?

I look forward to seeing your answers and learning how this post and music helps you connect and your inner development growth. 

violetdreamer07 May 24th

@Ivy229 I think music is a really good way to get exposure to the world. It is really valuable to learn about music from different cultures and consequentially learn about these cultures and the countries that they come from. This could contribute towards building intercultural competence. 

Hollytail June 3rd

@Ivy229 I really like your post sharing your thoughts about music. Recently, I found a song that I really like which encouraged me a lot. It is not an English song but it could be roughly translated into 'After abandoning worldly concerns, you are the number one.' I was always feeling like I wasn't good enough, but sometimes I should remember to remind myself that I am doing well in many aspects. Whatever, I did think music is the treasure for human beings.

mytwistedsoul June 3rd

@Ivy229 It helps almost everyday. I've always said if someone wants to know how I'm doing ask me what I'm listening to

It gives me an outlet. A way to express what I'm thinking and feeling. It helps me acknowledge emotions that are often pushed away

brightFriend2998 June 12th

@Ivy229 Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the power of music and its connection to inner development. I completely agree that music has a unique ability to express emotions and connect with us on a deep level, often when words fall short. For me, music has been a source of comfort during challenging times and a motivator during moments of triumph. One personal experience that stands out is when I listened to a particular song after a difficult breakup; it helped me process my emotions and find a sense of peace. Music's ability to influence our mood and inspire us truly contributes to personal growth and self-awareness.

akunknown June 15th

@Ivy229

Thanks so much for sharing this great post and quote about music. I love, respect, appreciate and value music so much. 

“Can you share a personal experience where music helped you express or understand your emotions when words fell short?”

There was a song where the words were “you are the one” and I quoted that in a letter I wrote to someone in my middle school cafeteria and snuck it in the person’s notebook that was left at the table I was at. I really liked the person a lot that I had it in my young teenage head/mind that this person was really “the one.”

“How do you think music contributes to personal development and growth?”

Music allows us to express ourselves in a universal language that’s understood by everyone. In my experience, even if the lyrics aren’t understood, the message themusician/band is trying to say can be understood by listeners or the listeners can at least get an idea of what the message is through the beat of the song. 

“Can you provide examples from your own life or observations?”

Observations……My brother who’s the lead singer of a band he’s in with his friends along with other friends of his who are lead singers of the bands they are in sing about various topics. This is one of the ways they’ve gotten their messages across to multiple people at the same time. 

Examples from my own life……What song I listen to can depend on how I’m feeling at the moment though sometimes I’ll pick a song to listen to so I can feel better. Like if I’m stressed out or angry or something like that I can listen to a song that’ll help me feel better. Listening to certain music helps me fall asleep faster and helps me get through things like cooking, exercising, cleaning, etc. But there are also times where my mood determines what I’m listening to. Like this morning I repeatedly listened to Taker’s entrance music (while a video of him doing his entrance) bc it was the perfect music (that had no words) for the mood I was in this morning. 

fireflyyv June 17th

@Ivy229 I think music is able to embed ideas into out minds in such a way that gives us ideas that we did not previously held importance to. I see it as planting a seed of thought and letting it grow. It's one of the most powerful things that human creativity has led us ❤️

Maslow July 27th

@fireflyyv So true!

wishfulForest1871 June 29th

@Ivy229

I remember a tough period in my life when I was dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety, and I couldn't quite articulate how I was feeling. During that time, I turned to music, specifically rock and metal, to help process my emotions. Listening to bands like Linkin Park and Asking Alexandria allowed me to connect with the raw energy and emotion in their lyrics and music. Songs like "Numb" and "The Final Episode" seemed to capture the intensity of what I was experiencing in a way words alone couldn't. Singing along and even just feeling the music helped me release pent-up emotions and gain a sense of relief and understanding.

Music, especially in genres like rock, rap, metal, and goth, contributes to personal development and growth by providing an outlet for emotional expression and connecting us to shared experiences. For example, rap music often delves into themes of struggle and resilience, and hearing artists like Eminem and MGK share their stories of overcoming adversity can be incredibly inspiring and motivational. In my own life, listening to rap has helped me stay focused and driven during challenging times.

Moreover, music fosters a sense of community and belonging. Attending concerts or participating in music-related forums and discussions can connect you with like-minded individuals who share your passions and experiences. This sense of community can be a powerful source of support and personal growth. Feed Her to the Sharks, in particular, helped me manage my anger. Their intense sound and raw lyrics provided an outlet for my frustration, allowing me to channel my anger into something constructive and calming. Overall, music's ability to evoke and express complex emotions makes it a vital tool for personal development, helping us navigate life's highs and lows.

Meenakshi29 July 11th

@Ivy229

I have one experience where I was writing my diary and I just felt numb... I was stopped and were clueless how to express my thoughts anymore...i was in the middle of written my story and was expressing my emotions.... So that time i played a music which helped me to feel those emotions and i continued to writing... 

Music helped me in both ways... They help me to express my sadness as well as happiness 😌

Maslow July 16th

@Ivy229 Music slows the world down, makes it easier to think

CreativeKombucha July 18th

@Ivy229

Can you share a personal experience where music helped you express or understand your emotions when words fell short?

Whenever I have listened guided meditations with music in the background which can help me find a reason for the emotions at the time

How do you think music contributes to personal development and growth? Can you provide examples from your own life or observations?

People tend refer to "That one perfect song," which they use to motivate themselves or before they are about to start a new chapter in their lives.   For instance, when I was getting ready to move from one end of the country to another, I happened to be packing. On the radio was "Eminem's Lose yourself," which I still use to motivate myself to keep going."

MellowMusic July 21st

@Ivy229

Thank you for this lovely post!

I feel like music helps me connect with my own feelings even when I can't really explain what I'm feeling with words.

When I'm stressed, anxious or overwhelmed, I just open up my comfort playlist and the music calms me down so I can think with a clearer mind.

And I've never worked out without music! 😁

Maslow July 27th

@Ivy229. I used it as a loveletter

@Ivy229

Music has helped me process emotions during challenging times when words felt inadequate, offering a profound sense of clarity and calm.

It contributes to personal growth by aiding emotional expression, reducing stress, enhancing cognitive skills, fostering creativity, and building connections with others.

Onyx000 August 17th

@Ivy229 music helps me understand my own emotions more than anything

Paul07 August 19th

@Ivy229 I agree with the fact that music is key to voicing unheard emotions wholeheartedly, it lets myself drift into my head and think about the thoughts I feel and reflect on them.

exquisiteGrace9695 August 24th

@Ivy229 when I was in a relationship where my emotions and needs were being unacknowledged, I listened to a Taylor Swift song, and every word of it tugged at my heartstrings. I felt validated, acknowledged, seen, heard, understood, and empathized with. I felt normal for feeling what I was feeling.

Hermionetps August 25th

@Ivy229 this was truly the best

Robbin77 September 4th

What a beautiful post! As somebody who growing up struggled a lot with emotional regulation. music absolutely helped me to both understand and express my emotions. I often would share a song with a friend or family member as an introduction to conversation about how I felt about something happening.

As well, music continues to open up parts of myself I didn’t realize were there along with my taste in music changing and growing as I myself develop and grow. For instance, allowing myself to feel more loved and to desire care from others really formed by listening to music that told me it was okay to do.

Ashen4 September 6th

@Ivy229

As you say in your post, music helps us express or understand our emotions when words fall short; music helps me to grow because sometimes a song brings out emotions in me I don't even understand, and working to understand why I'm feeling what I feel at a song can help me to more thoroughly understand myself, and grow into a more self-aware person :)

BeesOnFlowers Thursday

@Ivy229

Thank you so much for discussing this amazing form of self expression! Listening to music is such a passion for so many of us. 

"Can you share a personal experience where music helped you express or understand your emotions when words fell short?"
   I am a dramatic romantic at heart, so all the songs about love have clogged up my playlists, but one that always stayed with me ever since I was a baby toddling around and watching DVDs of music videos my mom loved, 'All is Full of Love' by Bjork has stolen the top place as my favorite song in the world. 
   My most favored mantras litter the lyrics. 
'
You'll be given love; You'll be taken care of; You'll be given love; You have to trust it.'

All truly is full of love, and letting yourself be a part of that everything only makes the statement truer. Maybe not from all the sources you pour yours into- twist your head around and see it's all around you. 💛