Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hobbies Help!

MistyMagic May 20th

cHIgT29OBpAMkMHiLFpw2T85hu6I67wOFjcqm6htTdsiw1saSaFjbK2FA2EAKcsBXXP-NFTtiL4rUoSw3esC1YMCxvaUN0qxBPkS-464wPcQSs-d7BCPv2drwvq2l3pz2lw1_51E4jicSYMX-3jr8eg

Hobbies Help Our Mental Health!

Mental health and self-care are intricately linked, and engaging in hobbies can be a powerful tool to support both.  Hobbies are very personal. Each of us likes and chooses something different for our hobbies, and the choice we make can however affect our mental health. Some hobbies can actually raise our stress and frustration levels, especially worrying about getting something right.
The painter that can’t capture the painting they want, or the musician that needs to practice for hours every day.

So choosing the right hobby for the right time can help to improve our mental health. Having a mix of relaxing and energetic, mindful and chaotic can all help to ease the stresses and pressures of our lives. 

Here are a few hobbies known to benefit mental health:-:

1. Art Therapy: Engaging in artistic activities such as drawing, painting, or sculpting can promote relaxation and self-expression, which are beneficial for managing stress and improving mood. A study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association found that art therapy can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
    At 7 Cups we have a dedicated Arts & Crafts Community Here

2. Gardening: Spending time outdoors and caring for plants has been shown to reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Research published in the Journal of Health Psychology suggests that gardening can promote mood enhancement and stress reduction. Gardening is a topic in Hobby Zone so please post Here

3. Music Therapy: Listening to or creating music can have a profound impact on mental health by reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and enhancing emotional expression. A systematic review published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews concluded that music therapy can effectively reduce symptoms of depression.
    Music and Dance Community Here  

4. Physical Exercise: Engaging in physical activities such as walking, running, or yoga can improve both physical and mental health. Regular exercise has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. We have a Sports & Fitness topic Here

5. Reading & Writing: Immersing oneself in a good book can provide an escape from everyday stressors and promote relaxation. Research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that reading can be an effective form of stress relief, leading to decreased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. Reading and Writing Community is Here

6. Cooking and Baking: Cooking or baking can be a creative outlet that allows individuals to express themselves while also providing a sense of accomplishment. Research has shown that engaging in cooking-related activities can improve mood and increase feelings of happiness. Share your recipes Here or share cooking tips Here 

7. Outdoor Activities: Spending time outdoors and engaging in activities such as hiking, camping, or birdwatching can promote feelings of connection to nature and provide opportunities for physical activity and relaxation. Research suggests that spending time in natural environments can reduce stress and improve cognitive function 

One special way to make our hobbies work for our mental wealth more is to ‘mindful hobby’. Using simple mindfulness techniques to improve the benefit of our hobby time. Being present in the moment, concentrating on what we are doing rather than letting our minds race.

griP93KZgNX9QlCUDZttXuCmoGF7R6dYoE2Sj9qpFdasLnzDLFGZBSIx3KGODziEQ1d0ZBga9kk6yGDDZJ5XuHgNnNcT89_pNP5lrgp2EIy3TSif8XzZZt07w_pQAWdeM0DnEwbYCLcblioTC4K0r4E

I hope that this has given you all food for thought,  perhaps you will look for a new hobby, or perhaps you may look at your hobbies in a more respectful way;  they are doing you and your mental health more good than you may realise!

MistyMagic OP May 20th

Join the Hobby Zone Taglist Here
@adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @AquaNyo303 @beachyone @Bella20 @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @daydreammemories @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @Fristo @hiraxx @iloveyouxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie @Heather225

Join the Hobby Zone Team!
Do you enjoy your hobbies then we want You on our Team!
We are recruiting! Here

Listening - One Step At A Time!

unicornbarb May 22nd

@MistyMagic please add me

Heather225 May 20th

@MistyMagic

thanks for highlighting all the therapeutic benefits of these activities. this post definitely got me looking at my hobbies more thoughtfully!

MistyMagic OP May 21st

@Heather225 thanks, that is good then. Does bird care count as a hobby?

slowdecline48 May 21st

All that is a reminder to clean my bike & lube the chain & derailleurs!...

MistyMagic OP May 21st

@slowdecline48 wonderful! That sounds messy! I was never any good at bike chains, they always seemed to jam or fall off lol. Where is the next bike trip to then?

slowdecline48 May 21st

Wherever I need to go, basically. (I don't have a car) At some point I'll go down the bike path to the town just south of mine... The town itself isn't much--it mostly has shopping & retirees--but the bike path itself is on this long wooden bridge by the main road. It looks like it might be fun.

MistyMagic OP May 22nd

@slowdecline48 do bridges and bikes mix? I think I would always prefer to cycle rather than drive, but it can be hard carrying things, do you use a rucksack or basket or something? (or just get deliveries lol)

slowdecline48 May 22nd

@MistyMagic I have a cargo rack on the back, above the rear wheel. Bought it almost two years ago; one of the shop boys installed it on my bike. Definitely a level up when it comes to hauling light loads. The rack is partly displayed in one of the b&w photos in my hobby journal...I may post a snapshot in the regular journal if there's sufficient interest.

slowdecline48 May 22nd

@MistyMagic You can get an idea of what they're like here, & here. A good rear rack can turn your bicycle into a light-duty pickup truck--on two wheels!

theboymoana May 22nd

@MistyMagic

i do art therapy at outpatient program go to ! First do not like not want try because very bad art things but then start like even am bad and now want try new art stuff lot ! 

MistyMagic OP May 22nd

@theboymoana That is great, I am so glad that you are persevering with art, we each have our own idea of what is good, and I bet yours is great!

unicornbarb May 22nd

@MistyMagic That sounds like a cool thing for you to do.

unicornbarb May 22nd

@unicornbarb  oops replyed to wrong person...hehe

unicornbarb May 22nd

@theboymoana  That is great.  Sounds like a fun thing to do.

unicornbarb May 22nd

@MistyMagic thanks for posting. It makes me realize how important these are to my well being.

I do several of these already.  Art therapy for me involves adult coloring book and the variety of craft projects I like to do.  

I am an avid reader.  Always reading 2 books at a time...lol

As far as music therapy.  Im always lilstening to my fav music, singing along...loudly.  and my husband and I see a lot a local bands.  Sometime well know classic rock acts.    

Im not sure Im really interested in trying any of the other ones.

I used to have lots of hobbies but now I find I mostly watched TV. I do manage to take the camper out, but still mostly watch TV in a different setting.

MistyMagic OP June 11th

@selfdisciplinedPenny281  Watching tv can be a valuable hobby, but is it a hobby or a habit? I watch a lot too and learn from it. What sort of things do you watch?

It's a habit. It's the tool I use to avoid everything. I procrastinate by binge watching TV. I moved to the middle of nowhere to be surrounded by nature and now I pretty much only see it through the window as I go to the bathroom or the kitchen. I need to get back to the real world, but TV is so welcomed by my mind and incredibly addictive.

Cynthialy June 11th

@MistyMagic thanks for sharing, so valuable

MistyMagic OP June 11th

@Cynthialy You are welcome. Can you tell us about your hobbies?

positivelyLuna333 June 11th

@MistyMagic This is a wonderful post! I have found over the years that hobbies work as sturdy bases for me to return to when life becomes chaotic and stressful. Being able to center myself through a hobby boosts the quality of my mental health weekly. Hobbies serve as good reminders that, however small, there are things that bring your joy and stability in life. 

MistyMagic OP June 11th

@positivelyLuna333  Thank you for your kind comments Luna, I am glad that you find hobbies help. Could you share with us a few of the hobbies you find particularly helpful please?

positivelyLuna333 June 11th

@MistyMagic For me personally, writing (creative writing!), exercise (I love to run and swim), and reading are my key hobbies for stabilizing my mental health! :) On days I am more tired and need more passive help, I like to put on a good show!

quickwittedKite83 June 13th

Thanks for this helpful list! It's easy to lose myself and forget what truly makes me happy. I love cooking & baking. It reminds me of my mom and dad. 

lightTree6221 June 14th

@MistyMagic

I used to have a lot of hobbies, but then stopped because life got in the way. I like the list you gave, but wonder what people, such as myself, could do if they have no money for a hobby and their health is too poor for many hobbies, except those that are reading and writing. I already do these things, but have begun to struggle because often my concentration or comprehension is very off. I only recently developed the physical and mental conditions that I have and am struggling in many ways to change my life.