Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Martial arts (and questions)

0820170719105 November 30th, 2019

I've been interested in picking up martial arts for my entire life, but never got to because of family. I'm planning to in the future.
Unfortunately, I'm far from fit. My stamina and strength are pretty low, I'd even say lower than an elementary schooler...
In addition, I have pretty big weaknesses in some parts of my legs. Doesn't help that most of my life has been sedentary.
So I don't expect to be able to start right away. I probably need to work on myself a little bit first. So that's what most of my questions are centered on.

I'd never been in sports before so I have next to no knowledge. Any tips on what I should do before getting into it? Work outs, etc? Maybe a health professional?
I wouldn't mind just meeting other martial arts enthusiasts as well. I've yet to meet one personally, so it'd be cool.

blissart December 8th, 2019

@0820170719105

I understand your interest in martial arts as well as your health concerns. It's better to take a medical opinion for the type of fitness routine you can follow. Then you can choose the form of martial art which fits well

svanshika April 14th, 2020

@0820170719105 hi! I just joined today and I saw this, I love martial arts too! I've been doing karate for 9 years and I couldn't imagine my life without it. If you ever wanna talk hmu!

0820170719105 OP May 10th, 2020

@svanshika
really sorry i didn't see this sooner, but if you're still down for it i'm still interested
hope you're well!

lightWillow8160 September 28th, 2020

@0820170719105 I like to do a certain branch of martial arts and calisthenics called tricking (it's martial arts and tumbling mixed.. effing crazy power & height on your flips from the momentum generated from the kicks) and it's honestly really fun and incredibly healthy.. HMU if you ever tryna talk about it or sum!!

RarelyCharlie December 3rd, 2019

@0820170719105 I know almost nothing about martial arts, but no one else has replied Frowning

If I wanted to get into martial arts I'd contact some local groups and teachers to ask them whether stamina and strength are important before you start, or whether they develop as you learn.

Tai Chi has a reputation for being slow and gentle (though maybe not all forms of it are). Maybe it would be a good way to build strength and stamina even if you decide to move on to some other martial art later.

Searching the Internet reveals that many clubs offer taster sessions for beginners. It looks like you could just sign up for one of those as an experiment, and take it from there.

Charlie

0820170719105 OP December 4th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie
thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I'll look into it

Helba December 15th, 2019

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation! I used to train karate for 2 years in high school, but then, I had 7 years of break (depression, eating disorder, minor health problems etc.). Now, it's my dream to become a professional, but yeah, I'm much weaker than I used to be. Still, I do believe that the real strength is in your mind! If you can dream it, you can do it. Don't give up!

I take walks and practice yoga to build basic strength. Later, I want to try more dynamic sports, like badminton and swimming. My sensei said once, a karate adept should do their best in all kinds of sports; that's cause, each sport will give you something: either strength, or reflex, or endurance, or flexibility. Which put you at an advantage as a martial arts adept.

I'd suggest picking anything, and tracking down your progress. Once you become better, try joining a local class. If you lack confidence to work out with the group, there are lots of video courses online. It won't feel like real class, but it'll help you overcome your fears.

I hope it helps! :)

isitallinmyhead December 15th, 2019

@0820170719105

I feel you on the low stanima! I have exercise enduced asthma, so a lot of exercise makes it hard for me to breathe. I can't run much. But recently, I started brazilian jui jitsu and it helps build muscle and endurance, but still ask a medical professional. You might have to strengthen your legs a bit first, but it'll be worth it!

sirenAngel March 31st, 2020

I do quite a large amount of martial arts of different kinds, but I too was quite weak at first and doubted my self-worth, but over time and with a lot of practice I got stronger and now I'm competing in many competitions coming either first or runner up. So I encourage anyone to just believe in yourself and don't let anyone take it down heart

SilverbackTiger March 31st, 2020

Hey there,

Thought I'd share my knowledge of martial arts since I have pursued one form or another throughout my life.

I started young, at around 8 years old, with Judo. I then tried a bit of Boxing around 12. Eventually played other sports throughout my teens (Football, Rugby, Paintball, etc) and then came back properly to Boxing again at 18. Found Kickboxing at 22. Properly returned to Boxing at 25 and for the past 5 years, I would say, have only really started to nail it down.

After all that experience, I would call myself a Boxer.

Martial arts cannot be learned with ease, over a few months or even years.

True martial arts take decades to learn.

I would advise you find a place or centre you can go to that accepts Beginners. The best way in is just to begin as you are.

What martial arts do you feel called to do?

I know it can feel intimidating, walking into that boxing gym or MMA facility for the first time.

Trust me, usually the people there are pretty decent and you won't regret taking this up. You will regret it far more if you just sit on the couch and say "one day, I'll go."

Go now.

Of course, with things in the world as they are, you may not be able to "go" but I mean make a start.

For example, I have a freestanding MMA dummy in my back yard that covers everything I need for Boxing at home.

Good luck. Enjoy the journey. Go easy on yourself. It takes a loooooooong time before you can even nail down the basics of any martial art.

Remember, the journey of 1000 miles begins with one small step.

Martial arts, first and foremost, is about discipline.

And everything else that comes with it.

GreenAndRedBoat May 10th, 2020

@0820170719105

Most martial arts schools evaluate you first and put you in physical fitness training warm uo and fit-up before putting you in a dangerous move routine.😊

You may start with shadow boxing, which is a well known martial art where you do not practice moves against a partber but against tge air whether you do it in social groups and you do it at your own pace to the limitations of your body at specific points in time.

As a martial art for the fiture you may chose Aikido which focuses on avoiding/diverting the opponents blows ratther than attacks and Capoeira which is more like a dance and again has little physical contact...

Good luck 🤗😊😀

0820170719105 OP May 12th, 2020

@GreenAndRedBoat @Helba @isitallinmyhead @sirenAngel @SilverbackTiger

Apologies for not seeing these messages sooner, thank you all so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and experience 🙂

GreenAndRedBoat May 12th, 2020

@0820170719105

You are so welcome🤗😊, I hope you find harmony in martial arts 😊

AClarkK May 12th, 2020

@0820170719105 take it up. I've been doing it my whole life. It could change your life too. dm if you can. or my listener account superhope to discuss it more. I can give you tips and all

GooseWashingtons September 16th, 2020

To keep myself fit I decided to go boxing. It's a really awesome way to lose some weight, to gain muscles but it's quite risky. Then I decided to play basketball. Unfortunately, because of the COVID-19, I had to quit playing basketball (and any other group activities). So I decided to buy a treadmill for home in order not to get covered with fat.

SilentWater21 May 31st, 2021

Hello, you posted two years ago. Did you start any sports? If not give Brazilian JiuJitsu a try. The inventor of this kind of JiuJitsu was a little relatively weak man who also wanted to do martial arts. I started BJJ five years ago at the age of 41. After twenty years of doing any sport at all I also was far from fit. But if you don't have a real desease, it is the duty of the trainer to find the right level of training for you. That looking for a fight club now.

matsukendg August 15th, 2021

As far as I know, it's hard to come up with a workout plan by yourself, so you need a coach that'll help you exercise the right way and give you tips on your nutrition. I used to go to the gym myself, and I learned a lot about supplements on this page, so I used some of them while getting the perfect body.

Sunmi9 December 12th, 2023

To prepare, start with gradual workouts to build stamina and strength. Incorporate aerobic exercises like walking or swimming and strength training for overall fitness. Consult a health professional to address your leg concerns and create a tailored plan. Attend local martial arts events or join online communities to connect with enthusiasts and gain insights. Additionally, mental training is crucial. Cultivate focus, discipline, and resilience. Practice mindfulness to enhance self-awareness and control. Visualization techniques can help refine techniques mentally before physical execution. A strong mind is as vital as a strong body in martial arts.

sincereKite1075 December 12th, 2023

Don't forget to listen to your body and, if you have specific concerns about your legs, it's always a good idea to consult a health professional. They can provide tailored advice and ensure you're on the right track for your individual needs. Connecting with the martial arts community is a game-changer. Attending local events or joining online communities not only exposes you to different styles but also allows you to learn from experienced practitioners. Sharing insights and experiences can be incredibly valuable. Now, here's a resource to complement your journey: Check out https://whatistruth.life/ as it's packed with information to enhance your martial arts skills and overall well-being. And let's not overlook the mental aspect of martial arts. Cultivating focus, discipline, and resilience is as important as the physical training. Mindfulness and visualization techniques can give you a mental edge, refining your techniques before even stepping onto the mat. Remember, it's a holistic approach — a strong mind is just as vital as a strong body in the world of martial arts. So, embrace the process, stay connected, and enjoy every step of your martial arts journey 💪