Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have a parrot: Ask me anything!

Heather225 January 5th

img-1411_1704413216.jpeg

Some of you know him! He is a white-bellied caique named Flip! Seeing as how birds don't get as much exposure as other animals, I thought it'd be fun to create a space for questions about what life with him is like and hopefully teach you something new about the difficult but fulfilling world of parrot ownership!

PetiteSouris February 10th

@Heather225

Does your parrot get flight time?

heart-heart-images.gif

Heather225 OP February 12th

@PetiteSouris

he does not fly! I keep his wings clipped and he has full run of the house so he doesn't need to

his breed likes to hop around (gif not of Flip but I do have hop footage laying around somewhere lol)

parrot-excited.gif

Clio9876 February 10th

@Heather225

Birds are such beautiful colours and Flip is no exception. Thanks for sharing him.

I'd love to have a parrot, because they are so clever. But I don't want to have a parrot, because they are so clever. 🙃

Heather225 OP February 12th

@Clio9876

they are too clever for their own good. this breed has the emotional intelligence of a 2 year old and they go through terrible twos so you really have to have patience. you're basically dealing with a tiny feathered baby lol

KatrinaDavisHicksLMFT February 10th

AWWW He is sooo cute@Heather225

Countrygirl095 February 12th

@Heather225 cute birdie, thank you for sharing

WeEarth February 15th

@Heather225

Many questions heather😃

Can Flip talk? What is their favourite food? Is Flip naughty?

Heather225 OP February 15th

@WeEarth

their breed aren't big talkers, however he can say "good boy" which he uses as a manipulation tactic 😂 he's very naughty and mischievous. he's in his teenage years too so he's particularly emotional and bratty and insists he gets to do whatever he wants when he wants lol his favorite foods are oranges and this which i call his "popcorn":
image_1708021621.png

WeEarth February 15th

@Heather225

Lovely Flip 🥰 He reminds me of my parrot friend, Shari. 💓

Thank you Heather for sharing 😍

Does Flip have any favourite songs?

MistyMagic February 21st

@Heather225 you never said Flip was a Star! Advertising on bird treats! 🤣

WellsFiction February 21st

@Heather225 Hi Heather and Flip. Parrots are beautiful! My cousin once had a parrot. It was white.

Heather225 OP February 23rd

@WellsFiction

was it a big bird? i wonder if it was a cockatoo!

WellsFiction February 25th

@Heather225 Most likely! Only seen photos on *** lol.

Sventek February 24th

@Heather225

Your parrot is absolutely beautiful, and I bet a lot of mischievous fun. I have a Goffin's Cockatoo, Umbrella Cockatoo, and a Greenwing/Mix Macaw. I'm still not a "bird" person, but they have all grown on me, and I spoil them. After having cats 20 years, moving to birds after they passed away was a natural progression. I'm sure I bore some people with my parrot stories, but some of the things they do/say are certainly worth mentioning.

Heather225 OP February 26th

@Sventek

Oh you've got the big birds!! I also moved on to birds after a lifetime of cat ownership. Just can't stand the heartache of losing them.

Please share some stories! I love hearing about bird shenanigans. What do yours say?

Sventek February 27th

@Heather225

iBon, the Macaw, has a wider vocabulary. She can ask for things she needs, generally, and tends to lean more towards me and calls me, "Bubba", something she must have picked up from her previous owners. We've had her the longest, a rescue from her previous family. She doesn't seem to care for my daughter or wife, but does talk to them. She only likes when they are animated around her, anything where she can join in the fun.

During COVID, my daughter was still doing Karate, but remote - because that was how it was, and set up a laptop on the couch so she could show the Sensei her moves - and iBon saw this happening, waddled over, climbed the couch, and placed herself in front of the laptop and camera - was also very difficult to move from there because she wanted to be the star of the show. Sensei said that apparently my daughter has become a parrot.

Paco, the Umbrella, has a medium vocabulary, knows his name and can use "I'm Paco" or just "Paco". He's a construction worker bird, and get absolutely excited when he sees an Amazon box, because he can carve out windows, doors (that specifically fit him including his tail feather --- and we add "box complexity") this keeps him engaged, less likely to get bored. He prefers my daughter first, me second, does not seem comfortable around my wife. We've had him a year now as of March. He's 30 years old, according to his foot tag.

Then there is Snowy, who is a Goffin's Cockatoo. He's smaller than the other two, but not in personality. He steps up easily, loves "stealing" things, and absolutely loves my wife. My daughter is second, myself last. He talks, says Hello, and can sing.

SmallShroom February 26th

@Heather225

Love! This picture! Can see the personality this little buddy has. So sweet.  🦜

Countrygirl095 February 26th

He’s so adorable how did you come up with his name?

Heather225 OP February 26th

@Countrygirl095

This breed hops, tap dances, and rolls over, so "Flip" came naturally as a result of all his flipping haha

calmMango9611 May 17th

@Heather225 I was wondering, if your bird is really expensive to feed, my friend H. Does, your bird eat, worms at all?

Heather225 OP May 17th

@calmMango9611

parrots aren't worm eaters. it's the pointed beak shape birds that are worm eaters. Flip's diety can be pricey because he needs a varied diet of pellets, fuits/veggies, and sprouted seed blends that i have to make myself bc it's healthier than getting dry seed. a good diet is pretty critical for a domesticated parrot and he's worth the cost and all the inconvenience at times lol

calmMango9611 May 17th

@Heather225 Thanks for sharing this, with me.

Heather225 OP June 19th

ever seen a bird smile? now you have
img-7919_1718828638.jpeg

WeEarth June 20th

@Heather225

cute-in-love.gif

Heather225 OP June 20th

@WeEarth

this was his happiest bird smile tho from when he was on vacation 😂

img-20201202-1712442-original-720_1718908282.jpg

WeEarth June 21st

@Heather225

Awww, so cute 💓 Please convey my regards to flip 😃

wow-cony-and-brown.gif

smilingbao June 22nd

@Heather225

You have such a beautiful bird!  I have always wanted a bird, but don't know if that is the right type of animal for me.  What is the hardest part about having a pet bird?

Heather225 OP June 24th

@smilingbao

thank you!

the hardest part is committing the time to them. birds aren't quite like cats or dogs; they need a ton of attention and to be able to stretch their wings which means time out of their cage. if you don't have a lot of time to give, getting two birds to keep one another company is a good option. otherwise a bird will get depressed if it's on its own too much. the other hard part is being able to have the finances enough to ensure they get a cage suited to their size (which can be big depending on the breed) and an ongoing supply of toys & variety of food in their diet. for me, my bird is like a little child, emotionally and in needs. but if you can put down the time and energy they can be a lifelong companion 🥰

Heather225 OP June 24th

@smilingbao

^^^ this is mostly about parrots. there are low maintenance birds out there if you just want the presence of singing birds like canaries, finches etc.. they still need a lot of living space but not as hugely interactive.