Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Plant a little seed ๐ŸŒฑ

Lou73 May 3rd, 2023

I'm not much of a gardener but I felt suddenly inspired at the weekend to buy some seeds and try to grow some pretty flowers for my garden.

Spending time outside in nature can be really therapeutic and calming and gets us away from all our devices and job lists for a while. And planting seeds can be a great low cost way of adding flowers to your garden as a packet of seeds costs a fraction of the price for a ready grown plant.

April/May is the perfect time to sew a lot of seeds so why not try and plant a few in the garden or in a pot on the windowsill and share your photos here of your seedlings growing! ๐ŸŒฑ

image_1683124592.png

I have planted a mixture of different seeds - some sweet peas, larkspurs, poppies, delphiniums and morning glory, phlox, pansy, marigolds ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒบ Feel free to share with us what seeds you would like to plant over the next few weeks! ๐ŸŒป

@adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @MunchieTaters @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

Image credit: BBC Gardner's World Magazine. (I took photos for this post but they were too big to upload :( )

Lou73 OP May 3rd, 2023

That's great to hear @Walker7957! Very good idea to grow your own veggies! ๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ•

Lou73 OP May 3rd, 2023

I'm so glad to hear you've been inspired @HoneyTea3! And lavender is a great idea and it smells soooo good! and great for relaxation and calming aroma ๐ŸŒฟ

mytwistedsoul May 4th, 2023

img-20230503-121928101-hdr_1683167252.jpg

these are teeny tiny apple trees ๐Ÿ™‚ forgot the seeds were in the fridge for months and they sprouted!

Lou73 OP May 5th, 2023

Oh wow these look great @mytwistedsoul!!! I love that something as mighty as a tree still begins as a tiny little seed ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŒฑ

One day they will look like this:

apple-picking-fall.gif

mytwistedsoul May 10th, 2023

@Lou73 It is really cool to think about how something so small can grow into something so big! It never ceases to amaze me tbh :)

MistyMagic May 9th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul being super cold would do they good, they will have thought it was winter and bringing them out makes them think it is sprouting time :) They will take a long while but woot! apples in the future yesssss <3

Listening - One Step At A Time!

mytwistedsoul May 10th, 2023

@MistyMagic It's probably a little silly but it's kind of exciting to know that in a couple of years there will be apples to pick :)

MistyMagic May 10th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul not silly at all! Would be nice to have you post some pics inma couple of years time so that we can all paint your seed grown apples :)

mytwistedsoul May 12th, 2023

@MistyMagic I like that idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

mytwistedsoul May 23rd, 2023

They getting bigger!

img-20230523-123458480-hdr_1684860763.jpg

Lou73 OP May 27th, 2023

Wow @mytwistedsoul they are looking fab!!! ๐Ÿค—๐ŸŒฑ

Kyza May 5th, 2023

Sounds like a lovely time! I've been meaning to get into gardening myself, I've heard that it can be very rewarding. And the plant kingdom is so fascinating.

Lou73 OP May 6th, 2023

Good luck trying out some gardening @Kyza! ๐ŸŒฑ

MistyMagic May 9th, 2023

@Lou73 Great post Lou! Thanks so much for sharing with us all.

I haven't planted anything this year but I did plant last year a lot of bienniels so this year they are starting to show small plants, waiting for next yeara to flower :)

Lou73 OP May 10th, 2023

Thanks @MistyMagic ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oooh the biennials sound really exciting - they require so much patience but I'm sure the flowers will be a wonderful reward! ๐ŸŒฑ

MistyMagic May 10th, 2023

@Lou73 the hardest thing is remembering where they are and not weeding them out! But I will miss gardening mostly this summer but next will be awesome :)

Jupiterbeingahuman May 9th, 2023

@Lou73 I wanna start gardening so badly! Over the summer Iโ€™m gonna try it! Any tips?

Lou73 OP May 10th, 2023

That's great @Jupiterbeingahuman! it depends what kind of gardening you'd like to try. Sewing seeds is usually best done in the spring but you could also buy small plants in summer which would give a lovely boost of colour and good for beginners ๐ŸŒบ

Lou73 OP May 14th, 2023

How is everyone's seeds growing? Are you remembering to water them frequently? Have they started sprouting yet? Share some photos with us if you can or let us know ๐Ÿ˜„

*attempts to post a photo of my Morning Glory seedlings ๐ŸŒฑ *

photo-14-05-2023-5-42-06-pm_1684085398.jpg

*succeeds but sideways despite attempts to rotate it*

AloneGhost May 20th, 2023

@Lou73

Perfect plans for the weekend. Let's make the world greener ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

Lou73 OP May 20th, 2023

Yay sounds like great weekend plans @AloneGhost! Happy planting! ๐ŸŒฑ

PatienceImpatiens May 26th, 2023

Totally following this thread. More later when I can get to the computerโ€” photos still donโ€™t post for me from handheld.

Lou73 OP May 27th, 2023

Yay @PatienceImpatiens! Join the seedlings club! ๐ŸŒฑ

(totally get what you mean - photos on Cups and I do not get on either lol)

EmotionsListener May 28th, 2023

@Lou73

It's great to see all the seeds being planted, I'm without a patch of soil to call my own and cultivate, though I may be able to get a few houseplants soon, though they have to be non-toxic to cats and able to withstand whatever my little furry roommate would do to them.

Thanks for planting the seeds for this thread!
โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ

Lou73 OP May 28th, 2023

Houseplants sound good @EmotionsListener, hope you can find some that are non-toxic and can be kept somewhere away from furry roommate hehe ๐Ÿ˜‰

You're very welcome, it's been good fun! I was actually so surprised to see so many of my seeds sprout and I think they are ready to plant now so I need to get some pots or prepare some ground! ๐ŸŒฑ

mytwistedsoul June 2nd, 2023

Started some cactus couple weeks ago

img-20230522-184232564-hdr_1685675374.jpg

img-20230518-201522162-hdr_1685675397.jpg

PatienceImpatiens June 2nd, 2023

@mytwistedsoul Those are so cute!

mytwistedsoul June 2nd, 2023

@PatienceImpatiens They already have little spikey biters on them ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Lou73 OP June 2nd, 2023

Omg @mytwistedsoul these are the cutest little cacti ever!!

cactus-cactus-dancing.gif

mytwistedsoul June 3rd, 2023

@Lou73 They are pretty cute tbh. I've never tried growing them before so it's definitely a learning experience

Lol I like the little dancing cactus ๐Ÿ˜Š