Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Would You Add to a Warm Bowl of Rice? ๐Ÿš๐Ÿ›๐Ÿ™

sweetnutella June 2nd

unnamed_1717302535.jpg

Picture a steaming bowl of fluffy white rice waiting for you ๐Ÿš๐Ÿ™

What's the move? Toss on a couple of sunny-side-up eggs? ๐Ÿฅš๐Ÿณ Couple it with sizzling Spam? ๐Ÿ– Or go green with a bunch of veggies? ๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅฆ I'm in desperate need for some new ways to spice up the ol' rice routine, so I'm all ears! ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’ช

Got any quirky combos or flavor-packed suggestions?

@sweetnutella

Rice with spicy gravy or curry is the best ever combination!๐Ÿฅฐ

What do you like with your bowl of rice?๐Ÿ˜‹

sweetnutella OP June 2nd

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou those are good!! Why not combine them and come up with... spicy curry? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ”ฅ as for me, I'd definitely need some eggs with my bowl of rice! Might as well turn it into fried rice, Uncle Roger style! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

@sweetnutella

Yusss a spicy curry is even better lol and ooof that fried rice bowl sounds super yummm. ๐Ÿฅฐ

naturalBraid8810 June 5th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyouย 

feels in heaven ๐Ÿ˜‹(being a die heart rice lover)

@naturalBraid8810ย hahah enjoysieees. Rice is too good for realll. How do you like your rice bowls usually?๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

with dals especially or with some pickle ๐Ÿ˜‹

@naturalBraid8810

Yumm combination!๐Ÿ˜‹

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Personally, I love putting my mom's strawberry Jam and milk on my rice, it tastes so good.ย 

toughTiger6481 June 3rd

The options are endless but most of the time i use salsaย 

sweetnutella OP June 5th

@toughTiger6481 ohh, salsa! I never thought of having my rice with it! ๐Ÿ™€ Would you recommend? What would you rate it out of 10? โญkirby.gif๐Ÿคฉ

toughTiger6481 June 5th

@sweetnutella

Chunky salsa is best IMO.ย ย 

MistyMagic June 3rd

@sweetnutellaย  Well, anything lol! Rice goes with most things, even coconut milk and cinnamon. Butย  egg fried rice with extra veggies is my go to!

ย 

Listening - One Step At A Time!

sweetnutella OP June 5th

@MistyMagic rice is very versatile, indeed! And veggies are excellent companion for it yummm ๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅฌ๐Ÿฅ•

VictoriaLove7 June 4th

@sweetnutella

Sunny side up egg ๐Ÿณ , some carrots ๐Ÿฅ• & veggies ๐Ÿฅฆ, some chilli ๐ŸŒถ sauce or soy sauce (with a Hello Kitty (โ‘…^ใƒปโ—ฆใƒป^) image on the bottle), & tomatoes ๐Ÿ… (ใฃ๐Ÿณห˜ฺกห˜๐Ÿšฯ‚)

sweetnutella OP June 5th

@VictoriaLove7 this would make a very colorful dish! ๐Ÿคฉ๐ŸŒˆ

VictoriaLove7 June 5th

@sweetnutella

yes yes, colorful & healthy meal! ๐Ÿณ(เน‘แด–ุ‚แด–เน‘)๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿš

images-2_1717580345.jpeg

Oliveleaf30240 June 4th

@sweetnutella

I love grilled salmon๐ŸŸ!!

sweetnutella OP June 5th

@Oliveleaf30240 OMG of course, seafood! How could I forget! ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿก rice + fish = a ticket to paradise โœจโœจ

@sweetnutellaย  Buttermilkย 

sweetnutella OP June 7th

@naturalBraid8810 oohh, that's interesting! Never crossed my mind at all. Have you ever tried the combo? If so, would you recommend it? ๐Ÿฅ›๐Ÿฅ›

naturalBraid8810 June 7th

@sweetnutella

yess i tried it i would recommend it especially adding some black salt coriander and little grated ginger in the buttermilk (homemade) and with rice it tastes awesomeย 

ayushnayak June 5th

@sweetnutella, I would most probably add some orange chicken to it lol.

sweetnutella OP June 7th

@ayushnayak OMG this is the best! You can never go wrong with this combo ๐Ÿ”ฅโœจ

Heather225 June 6th

@sweetnutella

spam on rice sounds so weird but i hear it's so good

sweetnutella OP June 7th

@Heather225 weird but so good indeed ๐Ÿ˜Ž sprinkle some chopped green onions on it, too, and boom! Your tummy will thank you!

jump-leek.gif

mhadmax June 7th

@sweetnutella

cilantro and lime= yummy!!! OOOOOOO, or like crab salad and seaweedโ€ฆ

sweetnutella OP June 7th

@mhadmax gosh, hearing this alone makes my mouth water! I particularly love cilantro and seaweed โœจ adding crab as an extra boost of nutrients sounds heavenly, too! ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿ’ฅ And I bet you love it a little sour since you're adding lime? ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‹ That sure would give it a kick!

Jewelmoon17 June 7th

@sweetnutella

Hmmm, well if Kimchi is available in your country.ย  It could really give a spike of hotness to the rice meal hehe. I love eating the korean rice mixed though I am not korean haha.ย ย 

sweetnutella OP June 7th

@Jewelmoon17 I'm not particularly fond of store bought kimchi, but last time I tweaked the recipe and cooked it on my own, it's buzzing ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ”ฅ and I've never tried that kind of rice before! Is it similar to red rice? ๐Ÿ˜ต

slowdecline48 June 7th
  • Take any bottle of Asian-style sauce & pour a little in a small saucepan. Put it on low heat, add whatever spices you like in it & stir. When steam starts rising off it, turn off the burner & remove the pan from the burner. When the rice is done, stir your doctored sauce one more time & dump it in the rice. Mix it all up good, then put the rice on your plate & chow down.
  • Do the above but stir-fry the rice in a wok or wide pan with your doctored sauce.
  • sausage, cut in small pieces & pan-seared. I use turkey or chicken sausage, but any kind will do.
  • sauted or sweated peppers. Cut 'em up fine if you like. I normally use serrano peppers & avoid jalapeno or other hot kinds but if you like hot stuff, go for it.
  • Any two of the above.
  • All of the above, stir-fried in a wok. If you don't have a wok pan, then you need one. Seriously.
sweetnutella OP June 7th
@slowdecline48 OMG I love how descriptive you are being! And a wok is definitely a must-have for committed home cook, huh? ๐Ÿ˜Ž you have to start sharing more of these recipes with us! These two alternatives sound divine, especially the first one! Yummy! Thank you so much for sharing! Did you come up with these on your own, or did you tweak a recipe you found somewhere? ๐Ÿ‘€ Wonder where the inspiration comes from!
slowdecline48 June 7th

@sweetnutella ๐Ÿ˜‚ Thanks. You're great at fluffing up my ego... But seriously, these aren't "recipes" so much as tricks I've developed over the years, & basic technique. I learn something here & there in my travels, & sometimes an idea occurs to me. It's really about knowing how to use what you have, & putting ingredients together so the result tastes good & doesn't put you in the hospital. ๐Ÿ˜œ Once you have enough savvy under your belt, recipes don't matter as much because you can come up with your own recipe/formula to fit the situation.

Don't get the wrong idea, though...I am not a professional cook, let alone a chef. There are tons of people out there who are better at food prep by at least a mile. I suspect at least a couple members of Cups could legitimately claim that, if they wanted to. My only professional experience was as a dishwasher in an Italian restaurant that shut down ages ago...it was educational. I learned a few things, one of them being: never work in a restaurant named after the owner. ๐Ÿ˜

I almost forgot: for any soy sauce-based or hoisin-based sauce, you can also add a teaspoon or so of white wine, for flavor. (The simmer will drive off any alcohol in it) A pinch of arrowroot will thicken it, but you gotta add the arrowroot after you take the saucepot off the heat & stir it in well. Continuing heat breaks the stuff down.

sweetnutella OP June 9th

@slowdecline48 thank you for the tips and tricks! I will make sure to jot them down ๐Ÿง but I think we don't need to be a professional cook or even a chef to be able to cook something delicious and hearty! In your case, for example, you're able to feed yourself and your loved ones by gaining experience from traveling and picking up a thing or two from your previous work, which is just as valuable!

I'm still so far from calling myself a cooking savvy, but your recipes seem to be doable enough even for a noob like me xD so that's appreciated, thank you! โœจ

sweetsnpeaches June 7th

@sweetnutella

this post hits home since i grew up eating rice all the time. my top 3 combo to elevate rice below:ย 

1 - crispy fried egg with the yolk still runny. add in some scallions, soy sauce and some lan gan ma chili oil

2 - pan fry some diced tofu (make itย crispy), chopped up tomatoesย and onions and seasoned with salt.ย 

3 - diced upย tomatoes and seasoned it with salt. add eggs and scrambled them together, don't cook for too long, you want this dish to be a bit moist. lastly, add mountain sauce.ย 

ย 

slowdecline48 June 7th

@sweetsnpeaches That all sounds dee-lish, though I don't know what mountain sauce is.

sweetsnpeaches June 8th

@slowdecline48

mountain sauce is a seasoning sauce kinda like soy sauce, but don't substitute one for another. the mountain sauce is my go-to for any egg dish! it can be found at most asian grocery storesย 

sweetnutella OP June 9th

@sweetsnpeaches OMG another step-by-step reply, I'm on cloud 9! ๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ˜ and this seems like a very simple yet delish dish that would be perfect for a rainy day โœจ the chili oil will keep us warm (and well hydrated, lol.) And I'm definitely big on half-cooked eggs, so the more moist it is, the better!

Btw, I'm glad this post reminds you of the good ol times. Thank you for sharing this tasty meal with us! Feel free to share your recipes on the Hobby Zone sub community โœจ I'm sure lots of people will love it!

sweetsnpeaches June 10th

@sweetnutella

the hobby zone community sounds fun! i would love to check it out. by chance, do you have a link to it?ย 

sweetsnpeaches June 10th

@sweetsnpeaches

LOL i just realize that this post was made on the hobby zone community and i can just click on the community name to be directed to it. haven't visited 7cups in 2-3 years so everything looks different now lolย 

MistyMagic June 10th

@sweetsnpeaches Yes HZ is fun! I hope you take a look at all the posts and topics we have! Let me know if I can help re-orientateย  you to CupsWorld!

ย 

Listening - One Step At A Time!