Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Winter Hobby Check-in!

MistyMagic December 5th, 2023

Hey, Hobby Zoners!

Do you have any hobbies that only come out during the cold winter season?

the-genealogy-show-stan-the-snowman.gif

🎄 Perhaps you enjoy making festive decorations, garlands and wreaths with holly and ivy and lots of winter berries?

⛄ What about taking photographs of snowy scenes and snowpeople?

🌱 Or - starting to plant seeds for the new year's growth?

😃 Is there a hobby that helps your mood during the cold seasons?

Or do you do something else because it is winter? Share with us here so we can all join in with our hobbies.

Don't forget these Communities to explore that have blossomed from their original seeds in Hobby Zone:

• Arts & Crafts

• Icebreakers and Games

• Music & Dance

• Poetry

• Reading & Writing

• TV & Movies

Check this post if you want to be added to the tag list!

Tagging the current taglist: @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie

bridget-jones-renee-zellweger.gif

Jenna December 5th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Our winter is usually chilly and rainy, rather than cold and snowy. As a result, I don't get to enjoy many outdoor activities. However, I love to make arts and crafts with my friend's kids, and going caroling with my church during our branch social is always a lot of fun! Another activity I enjoy is watching Christmas movies while sipping on hot chocolate. And of course, decorating for the holidays is a must! This year is going to be different in what I'll be able to do, so I thought I would make virtual Christmas cards as a fun project.

MistyMagic OP December 5th, 2023

@Jenna Chilly and rainy here too, but I used to love skiing and holidays in the snow so it has never left me, and a special passion was riding in the snow, there was silence no sound of hooves or shoes clattering on the ground and the horse loved rolling over and over in the fields, also dogs running around like mad things. I think snow makes us all young again!
Carolling sounds great fun as well as making things with your friend's kids. 
I love Christmas movies too! I watch them all year round lol, which is your best one?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

SleepyShyCat December 5th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Not necessarily any hobbies that only come out in winter for me (if I lived somewhere with snow, I'd love to do some snow themed activities) 

However... 

I love baking and bake all year round, but there's one particular recipe that only comes out in December - my secret recipe mince pies :D 

Apparently they taste great, but I wouldn't know as I dislike them so have never tried my own xD

I refuse to make them more than once a year. So I do one massive batch at the start of December, and freeze them. That way there's a good supply for those who want them :p 

christmas-cats.gif

MistyMagic OP December 6th, 2023

@SleepyShyCat ooooh we need that recipe please! 

spazcat-kissy.gif

SleepyShyCat December 6th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Hehe 🤫🤫

zipped-mouth-wont-tell.gif

communicativePond1728 December 6th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Definitely exploring the wonderful tastes, smells and sights of the season.

It's neat how our bodies shift with the times...a scent, taste or feeling that is not it during the summer or early fall becomes delicious now.

For example today at two different cafes and at home I enjoyed the great decorations of trees, lights and little evolving traditions such as a custom advent calendar.

And at two different cafes I had two new different herbal teas, and two new treats.

Having a little stock of pastries and shortbread cookies, a great, award winning coffee and quality dark hot chocolate to enjoy at home is also nice for cozying up with a movie or show.

@communicativePond1728 oh yes I love the lights, the big towns are all lit up and have a nice feeling. Even sitting outside drinking hot chocolate is better! Thanks for responding!

VahMedoh01 December 6th, 2023

Me and my family buy blank stockings and glitter glue and we have a tradition of decorating our own stocking or a stocking for someone else each year. I always try to include drawings that represent important events or interests I had during the year, like a basketball or video game controller.

@VahMedoh01

That sounds fun to do ! I haven't made stockings for years! Thanks for reminding me I will see what I have to make some with. 

VahMedoh01 December 7th, 2023

That'll be good! I hope you have fun and Happy Holiday's!!

slowdecline48 December 6th, 2023

Yes. My wintertime hobbies are:

• coughing, hacking
  • spitting
  • sneezing
  • taking decongestants

When I have the energy, I read or work on one of my small projects. (I always have several, sitting around half-done)

MistyMagic OP December 7th, 2023

@slowdecline48 aw it can be miserable when we are like that. 

BeCreative1967 December 6th, 2023
  • I especially enjoy the outdoor swimming opportunities in Munich in Winter

Dantebad (unfortunately closed last winter due to energy saving, but now open again):

Dantebad-Muenchen

• If it's not too cold I also do winter baths in our river Isar (a lot of people started this hen everything was closed in Corona times)

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/muenchen-eisbaden-schwimmen-trendsport-1.5192808

• I also have a standing appointment with some friends for a snowball fight, whenever snow conditions are good. (unfortunately getting rarer in recent years)
  • I love winter cooking (unsualy during Advent and Christmas, for example last weekend on the first Advent I made the last Pumkin's soup, then deer with gingerbread sauce, red cabbage with apple, orange and gin and potato dumplins, then plum crumble for us.
  • I love my tea time. Just relaxing with a cup of tea (and possibly a cookie) in my wing chair when back at home
  • Hot chocolate - definitely a big point for winter
  • Putting stars and twinkling lights everywhere
  • baking cookies
  • advent wreath making
  • candles (bees wax is best for me

So winter is not such a bad season - even though I do appreciate central heating. In my childhood days when we had only stove heating, mornings tended to be miserable ;-)

@BeCreative1967

Those sound awesome and I love the winter swimming too ❄️❄️❄️ thanks for joining in. 

ShellyZz December 7th, 2023

@MistyMagic  Making tree ornaments and drinking hot cocoa while watching holiday movies. 

@ShellyZz I love holiday movies and i particularly love 'The Holiday' Isn't that the film I mean with the house swop?

RidireEmerald December 17th, 2023

@MistyMagic the last couple years I've been the elf on the shelf for my little sister. I move our elf, Liza, to fun places and sometimes write notes from her and this year her twin sister, Jupiter, visted for around a week. It's maybe not a hobby, but it's my favourite part of the season. Our elf also has a younger brother that I haven't named and 2 dads named Lyle and Maurice, I haven't actually bought those ones yet, but as soon as I find the right ones they will be having a family dinner at our house.

MistyMagic OP December 19th, 2023

@RidireEmerald Sounds fun! Happy Holiday!

DeLeeAh December 18th, 2023

@MistyMagic 

Here in FL, we don't really have a winter lol but even so I look less weird wearing a fleece sweater so I definitely love to style my winter clothes with jackets. When we went to NY, we played with the snow and in those areas we know that photography is everything. So, I love to take pictures when we travel to other places and we can see the snow. Decorating for sure is something that I enjoy to do as well. 

MistyMagic OP December 19th, 2023

@DeLeeAh ooh winter photography is great I love taking snow pictures but find I cant even get the contrast right, any tips?