Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

healthy food habits

northernlights101 November 27th, 2023

Hey guys, do you have any tips on eating healthy? I've been meaning to do this for a while but it's really hard to decide some things.

Do i completely cut out on junk foods?

How can I balance my calories?

Is it healthy to completely cut out my favourite foods?

If you guys have ever done something like this, please share your experience!!

PoliteOcean November 27th, 2023

@northernlights101

Hi there~ Welcome to the Healthy Living community! I’m Ocean the Community Mentor Leader. 

We commend you for your choice and decision in wanting to live and lead a healthier lifestyle for yourself! 

It’s understandable that sometimes it might seem confusing in knowing where to start. But perhaps just starting with the basics and making small changes one day at a time can lead you on the right path. If you start too Big too fast, then things can seem very overwhelming and may cause you to give up before you even get started. 

First take a look at your overall goals and what you’d like to create for yourself. If it’s eating healthier, start with looking at your foods. Decide what you “need” Vs. What you “want”. Ask yourself when you go to eat a chosen food “Is this what my body needs to feel or function better”? ….”Am I making the healthiest choice for myself”? 

Start by making healthier swaps. Perhaps swap out a candy bar for a favorite piece of fruit…… Or swap out potato chips for some nice crunchy carrots or celery. You can make these even more appealing by adding a nice low-fat flavorful dip….. Apples are great with a nice caramel dip. Celery is great with 2 tbsp of peanut butter etc… 

Also pay attention to “Portion sizes & portion control”. Just because you can eat a whole bag of chips doesn’t mean we should! Most bags of chips are only 10-15 chips per serving. And realize that by doing that, you don’t have to entirely cut out your favorite things! You can still have your favorites by paying attention to portion sizes! 

Also when it comes to breads, crackers cereals, etc…. Try swapping out white breads for whole grain breads. Or white potatoes for Sweet potatoes. Or white rice for brown rice (or even cauliflower rice!)…. Or even switching to Oatmeal. I personally love oatmeal with a chopped banana, some blueberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey in place of white sugar…… These changes can help with the way your body’s Blood sugar works. And help balance it better. 

Also if you are drinking sodas and juices, maybe you could start by trying to replace one drink a day with a glass of water. Then each day add another glass. Until you are up to at least 8 cups a day (or 64 ounces of water a day)…. Our bodies are made up mostly of water. So nourishing it with water helps to flush our system as well as maintain it and keeps it hydrated properly! 

Also find yourself a good App to track your foods and what you are eating. That can be anything that works for you as there are many out there. Such as “My Fitness Pal”, or “Lose it”, etc…. Which can help you as well with tracking your food intake and Calories based on what you need for you personally. 

Just doing these smaller basic things can add up to bigger results over time. And we are here to support you and all your efforts. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and touch base if you have any questions……Also touching base with a good nutritionist can help as well.  

And best of luck to you on your new healthy living journey! 

northernlights101 OP November 28th, 2023

Thank you so much for your insight, I'll make sure to review this once in a while and understand my needs!! Your message was really helpful, thank you!

PoliteOcean November 28th, 2023

@northernlights101

Glad you found it helpful! :) 

We are here to support you. 

PoliteOcean December 2nd, 2023

@northernlights101

If you desire, please keep us updated on how you are doing and your progress. We'd love to hear how things are going for you.

northernlights101 OP December 3rd, 2023

I'll try to!!

SunShineAlwaysGrateful December 3rd, 2023

@northernlights101

Hi great advice above 👆! Just slow and steady for me no food is off the table however I pick wisely and consume less convenience foods prepared foods. I switched out substitutes for things I knew I needed something else I no longer drink pop instead I drink water. That was a big one for me …. 

I also needed something sweet with tea so I have made many lower calories desserts. 

I love frozen Greek yogurt with berries and sugar free pudding mix perfectly done on parchment and this frozen berry bark is incredible and higher protein …. 

You will do well on your journey. Just stick with it. I have lost 50lbs so far and I just every day make better choices and walk. Food is 80% and tracking is crucial. There are many apps to do this … Fitness Pal is free and wonderful. 

I will take you in some posts that may be of interest to you… reach out anytime. 

northernlights101 OP December 9th, 2023

That's amazing!! It's so cool that you've started making desserts at home, I'll try to find places where I can switch out things as well!!

amicableox0685 December 7th, 2023

@northernlights101 

I eat chips, cookies and what not but I make sure that I keep my taste buds in line for regular food as well. The biggest thing I do now is exercise for about 15mins. I also like to portion control my meals. So sometimes I eat a big meal sometimes I don't.

It helps a lot!

Good luck!

northernlights101 OP December 9th, 2023

Thank you for your advice!!

Daydreamer47 December 9th, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/@NutritionByKylie

I strongly recommend this youtube channel Nutrition by kylie! I really like that she talks about adding and not taking away, so adding a side of vegetables to your meal for example instead of feeling guilty about what you are eating. It's also very mental health friendly and she mentions things like steaming vegetables in the microwave.