Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Update: Key Changes to Group Support Roles

ASilentObserver November 10th, 2022

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well.

Thank you all so much for your presence and support in the Member Group Chats. Your efforts are much appreciated and you are all making many feel heard and supported.

Thank you to all room supporters and moderators who shared their input and feedback to the recent Group Support Leadership Survey of Oct 26, 2022. I appreciate your helping us strengthen the Group Support roles further.

Based on the feedback and suggestions we received from the team, we will be making the following changes:

• Introduction of Trial Month: For both Room supporters and Chatroom Moderators, we are introducing a one-month trial period. It will allow them to explore their role, attempt the checklist, and share their concerns and feedback if any. After a month, if they’d like to continue, we will make the role official but if not, they can then decide to explore other opportunities they may like to try.

This change will be applicable only to new applicants. The existing ones will not be affected by the change.

• Streamline the Focused Rooms: As you may know, room supporters/chatroom moderators have to select at least 2 sub-communities/ group chats to focus on. After considering your feedback, we will be reducing it to one community for the first month. The room supporters and moderators will be able to support/moderate a maximum of three communities. The new streamline will look like this:
    • First Month: Any One Community
    • Second Month: One more Community (i.e. total 2 communities)
    • Third Month: One more community (i.e. total 3 communities)

The goal of streamlining the focused communities and group chats is to ensure the room supporters/chatroom mods have ample time to establish and settle into their given community and get to know the specific community and their members better i.e. in return more focused support and listening for all.

Like the aforementioned change, this will be applicable only to the new applicants and will not affect folks already in roles.

• Doorkeeper Access to Room Supporters: Doorkeeper access allows one to open or close a group chatroom. The doorkeeper has the criteria to host at least 3 sessions per week out of which one needs to be in one pop-up room. Going forward, all room supporters and chatroom moderators will have doorkeeper access. And every quarter the badge will get reset to ensure it stays up to date for all active members.

The goal is to ensure all room supporters and moderators are able to open the pop-up room on time to host their support session, guided discussion, or open chats. As well as additional helping hands to assist with community requests to open or close the group chat. Exception: Member Room Supporters wouldn’t have the access to it as we do not have a member doorkeeper badge yet.

• Time Management Course: One key challenge many are experiencing is time management. It is understandable how it can be difficult to balance life priorities and support work. We will continue to figure out a better solution to best address this challenge, but for starters, we recommended that all room supporters and moderators complete the Time Management Course.

The benefit of taking his course is to help you identify and take steps with prioritizing your priorities, improve your productivity and strike a better time management balance.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns about these changes. They will go live w.e.f. Nov 15, 2022. Thanks for sharing your voice and pitching in to support the betterment of our groups!

Application Links:

What Is It Like To Be A Group Support Leader?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver

Great updates, they'll be specially helpful for the new leaders to settle in their leadership tasks. 😊

Unsure if the group support buddy project is still active, and although I never got to try it via the buddy program, I liked the idea of having someone to partner up as a room supporter, mod, host and such, just someone to sorta "lean onto" in times of need or want, and ofcourse gotta mention the fun factor, together is a wonderful place to be. ❤

(Referring to this and this post)

Helper127 November 10th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou that's a great idea. I tend to room support with a particular host when I'm able and it works very well ❤️

@Helper125 Glad you feel the same, and I get the working well notion, it is indeed more encouraging and empowering when the vibe matches with someone. ❤

calmMango9611 November 10th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou I applied to be an rs big buddy, so I hope I get the roll.

If it is not active maybe me applying will restart it.

We shall see.

Maybe, you should apply for the Mod big buddy program.

If it is not active, maybe you applying for it, will help to get it going again.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, with us.

@calmMango9611

Aye yes, if these are inactive lack of leadership coverage seems like the primary reason for it, so you stepping up to pair as a buddy is much appreciated, always admire you for being so proactive in supporting the community, and welcoming more people to the chatrooms. ❤ I hope you can get the program reactivated too, and many thanks for the suggestion, however, I'm not looking to expand my leadership roles for the time-being, but truly hope some more like you, that can and are willing, could step up and lead the way, here to cheer for y'all and support you as you lead. It's teamwork after all! 😃

Helper127 November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver thank you!

calmMango9611 November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver I love this new change for the new room supporters.

One question, will the monthly quota change due to the fact, they are new and just starting out?

Like lower amount, it is 50 messages right now, will the new room supporters, get a different monthly quota, like 40 or will it stay at 50 messages, like everyone else is?

@calmMango9611

Good question, Calm, hope this is clarified soon too.

Meanwhile, just chipping my two cents here, while these updates are here mainly keeping the new leaders in mind, leaders have been joining us ever since the beginning, it's how the leadership is growing, so this time too the phenomenon of new leaders joining isn't "new" or uncommon, and therefore updating the quota on this ground alone (to have new leaders settle) doesn't make enough sense to me, at least. Of course, the leaders would be accommodating that someone's just beginning and could use more time adjusting to the role and quota, so I feel there is not much to worry about here. :D

The introduction of a trial period would be greatly helpful on this front too though, to have some space for exploring, learning, expanding and growing within the role and any respective team(s). <3

kindSoul10 November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver thanks for the updates.

I like the idea of trial month and exploring. It's helpful.

Sometimes I feel the management team feels they have too many people with privileges, which I can understand. However I am not sure how it's helpful to reduce people with doorkeeper access. It makes sense to remove those who stopped logging in at all. I observed that those with the badge are willing to open rooms when they have been asked. I'm not sure pressuring them into hosting sessions is the best way.

In sum little activity is not than no activity.

I observe we go back and forth with the same things: increasing pressure and roll back. Increasing pressure and roll back... It feels like groundhog day and I wish I would understand why we keep doing it.

Still I believe you do it in the best interest of your ideas. Maybe my feedback will be helpful.

yourbuddy30 November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver wow! So many new changes! Thank you for the updates Obs! It is really helpful for room supporters and mods!

MistyMagic November 10th, 2022

@ASilentObserver I love these important improvements Obs! Thanks so much for listening and taking action so fast too!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Sonicmario2002 November 11th, 2022

Alright then, sounds like a good plan q

StarlitSky4762 November 13th, 2022

@ASilentObserver thank you so much for this! Doorkeeper Access to Room Supporters! this is a game-changer for me and my team! Hurray!