Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A message to group mods~ IMPORTANT

HopieRemi June 15th, 2017

I mentioned this in the rooms earlier, but I thought that it was too important just for the people who were there to hear it. I think it is very important that we remember that when we are in a member room, that we are wearing a badge that shows that we are a leader, so we are expected to act as such. Members and other listeners are going to be looking up to us when we are in the rooms, so it is our responsibility to make sure that we are treating everyone fairly. It doesn't look well when a member and a group mod get into a public argument. Sometimes it can be hard when a member points us out, but this is where your leadership comes in, and you have to take the higher ground and step away, swap with another mod or call for backup.

Something else that I feel we should avoid is openly disagreeing with each other as moderators in the room. I am not saying we are all going to always agree, but I am saying that if this is done openly, it takes away from the support that goes for members, and arguments between mods can be confusing for the members, especially when it is about a rule. Also, I feel that if you are a new to modding on 7cups and a mod states something in the room about a rule, you shouldn't challenge them in the room. Not only is it disrespectful and arrogant to someone with more experience, but it just like I stated before takes away from the purpose of the room.

One more thing, don't assume that you can be laid back in a room just because it is mostly chit chat or the room is not a "support" room. In all of the rooms, you are expected to be professional, supportive. Basically, when you are logged into your listener account, and you are in a room, you are there to support and to be an active listener. It's okay to be silly, yes, but you shouldn't be afraid to be a mod, either. You have to enforce the rules.

Before I wrap up this long forum post, I want to add, for your first few weeks as a new mod, and sometimes even more than that, you really should mod with your group mod buddy. I know that it is not mandatory, but it really helps you improve and can help make sure you stay a mod on 7cups!

Alright, I think I have held your time enough, and to those who actually read my whole message, thank you.

- BurningEmber.

AutumnLeigh June 15th, 2017

@SpunkyMonkey100

Discussions are definitely a challenge when starting out! I applaud you for doing these- and on your own! And you're absolutely right. It can be irritating to have a certain 'vibe' going with your group and have it snap when another mod pops in. We may all have the best of intentions but respecting a discussion and it's leader is important. I know lurking isn't considered acceptable, but I like to see the room, the content and the flow of the conversation before touching the keyboard. Stay Awesome! laugh

HopieRemi OP June 15th, 2017

@AutumnLeigh

Definitely, if you are going to be leading with someone, open communication is very important. It's like oiling a car! The wheel has to be able to move. I don't drive, my analogy might not make any sense but you know what I mean.

@BurningEmber

Heehee, I get you hon, though oil doesn't have a lot to do with the steering of a car. LOL. But without the oil, the engine wouldn't last long so both are equally important! heart

@AutumnLeigh

Hehe glad you get me. heart

LeetheUnicorn June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber @AutumnLeigh @SpunkyMonkey

Thank you for your great input and important you added to this thread!! I hope this can help a lot of the new group mods and they take these words and use them

June 15th, 2017

@AutumnLeigh
Yes i agree to that statement that's regarding the sub-community support session but what happens, if we look in a general perspective is that a mod badge is often considered as a 'ticket' to act as a moderator in any of the support rooms as they like. Also, myself being a new mod i do know that there are specific moderators appointed by the sub-community teams to moderate their support sessions just because i am a part of one. But, before joining that team even i wasn't knowing that as it isn't stated anywhere to be honest like in any of the guides or training material nor it's taught in the trainings so maybe including such small but crucial points in those exhaustive guides or including 'em in the trainings could help new moderators understanding their role at different situations in support rooms and also to avoid the internal issues, i hope.

@firebolt110

Another great point! I'm finding that sometimes this site grows so fast, I struggle to keep up! I think your concern is shared by many and would be a great suggestion for mod leader @Heather! Open communication seems to be a key priority for everyone here. Stay Awesome! <3

ItsPreeti June 15th, 2017

smiley@AutumnLeigh

laugh@JovialOne

June 15th, 2017

@AutumnLeigh thank you so much for being understanding and supportive. I really appreciate the helpfulness you offered. <3 and thanks for all the kind words. You are awesome!

Rain45 June 18th, 2017

@firebolt110 you have a really valid and great point. As someone on the team for the trauma SC we have set up regular moderators for our members both for the open chat sessions and the support sessions, as we needed to create a sense of safety for the members and its good for the members to have regular mods they feel comfortable with and who are a friendly face :)

Rain45 June 16th, 2017

@AutumnLeigh Great post and yes it can be difficult for members and even the listeners, if a support session is going on, particularly on a very difficult or sensitive topic for new moderators to then jump into the conversation to announce themselves, or to make other comments. Very often support sessions may be being run by moderators or listeners who are known to the members and who have spent a long time gaining the trust needed, and creating a sense of safety for members to attend some of the support sessions that they do, and it can sometimes feel offputting, even unsafe for some members for someone to interrupt the flow of the support session in progress. I think its good for perhaps new moderators to work alongside those who perhaps have a little more experience and to be perhaps more sensitive to the fact that there may be a really difficult session in place, and that those attending may have had to dig deep, to find the strength and courage to attend.

AutumnLeigh June 18th, 2017

@dancingRainbow45

Well said, my friend! <3

AnimalHugger June 15th, 2017

Any specific reason why I would like to see this ?

@AnimalHugger

hey. Idk why you were tagged other than you're a mod with experience. Maybe ash wanted your opinion ?

Juniter June 16th, 2017

@AnimalHugger It's a good thing for all mods to see. Maybe someone wanted your opinion on it, thought you could keep it as a helpful resource, or maybe they just thought you'd like the post. It might be a good idea to PM the person that tagged you instead of publicly asking in the forums, especially if it's bothering you.

PassionatePeyton June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber

Thank you for posting this, Ember!
I think this is a good little set of reminders we should always keep in mind as Group Mods. yes

@PassionatePeyton

You are welcome!

niamh333 June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber Great reminders Emby! Thanks <3

Juniter June 16th, 2017

@BurningEmber This is a great post. Though I have no experience with discussions, I have seen mods interrupting other people's discussions with their own discussion announcements and such, and it is very rude to do that. I've noticed a lot of mods being unprofessional in rooms, especially the community rooms, because they aren't support rooms and aren't as serious, but that's not okay. I really don't like when mods disagree with other mods in the room; we have PMs for a reason.

Thank you for writing this.

HopieRemi OP June 16th, 2017

@Juniter

Thank you for your support, Juniter!

General reminder to all current and future participants of this thread, let's remember to be kind and supportive in our replies. Let's not take anything said in here as a personal attack, and rather take each point as something we can learn from.

Blaze June 16th, 2017

@BurningEmber Thank you for this post.

I want to say that I agree that the new Mods need better support from more experienced Mods. While I'm not a Mod Buddy, I am willing to accompany new Moderators who don't feel at ease in the chatrooms, or in the more difficult ones, if that helps them feel more comfortable. Given the time-zone I live in, I'm sad to observe that there aren't many "veteran" mods around to help the newbies. Therefore I volunteer to give a hand and a crying shoulder if it is needed so (unfortunately...sometimes that can be the case).

I'd like to add to the topic discussion that I think it would be very useful and, dare I say, respectful, if all mods had the same informations concerning the rules and resources. I have come across a few moderators (even older ones) who weren't aware of the Group Support Emergency logs, nor the Mod Log form. I also meet moderators who have contradicting instructions concerning certain case scenarios. When this happens, I PM them and give them the appropriate resources when I'm certain of the information I have or refer them to one of the more experienced mods.

I think it would be good to have a Group Mod Dashboard, with the different resources we need, the list of active and inactive mods so we can communicate when we go on a break, the different roles and responsibilities of each mod Leader or Group Support Team member, etc. I suggest a link to such a document should be sent to each moderator, even the old ones, so that everyone is on the same page. This would also allow information to flow more efficiently.
For example, if a member asks me for the contact of someone who is on the Disability Support Team, I can check the dashboard for a Mod that member can get in touch with. If a Mod isn't sure about the policy on the nudity concerning Display Pictures, they can check the Dashboard to either see the rule or the place where they can check it.
And I'm going to dare saying this one: if there is a mute circumventer who keeps coming back and they're a mute on sight, if that information is on the dashboard, every Moderator can see it and act accordingly. And this infrormation would come directly from the Mod Leaders, which would make it "pure" and unbiased.

I can help work on this Dashboard, it would be my honor. I also suggest it be locked and that Mods can access it through their 7 Cups e-mail accounts, in order to avoid ill-spirited users from messing with the data.

That's my two-dollars (because it's too big for it to be two-cents, bear with me).

@Heather @Amelia @Jenna @MissZ

love the dashboard idea!!!!

Blaze June 16th, 2017

@BurningEmber @Juniter

I'm glad you like it! If/when we have a green light, I'm more than happy to help build it!

Juniter June 16th, 2017

I think having a group mod dashboard would be great.

Amphios June 16th, 2017

@BurningEmber

Thank you Em, for posting this here ^_^

Just want to add one more point, that it is okay to ask some Icebreakers Questions to to redirect the conversation when a conflict is going on or has just ended, BUT to use discussion bar and start an ICEBREAKER SESSION for 15/30 mins is NOT A GOOD IDEA, when most of members are denying it, and some are asking for support. It would be good to concentrate on members that are asking for help, instead of ignoring them and leading Icebreaker session! <3

@UnicornBunny

agreed. Icebreakers with banners should only happen if it's the only way.

ItsPreeti June 19th, 2017

@UnicornBunny and @BurningEmber

According not to me some members of some rooms want to get support but due to some irrelevant topics they aren't able to seek support and they are constantly upto saying change the topic while others who are doing such topics ask them to shift to another room. Why should they shift to another room ? It's not that they are being unsupportive they are talking about a member who created a havoc in the room and was muted. So in such cases a mod should start with some icebreakers. If room's atmosphere still didn't calm down ,then it's okay to start with the banner icebreakers. Isn't the main purpose of 7 cups to help the members who need support ?
But the "Discussion banners shouldn't be used at all if there is already a scheduled discussion going on" There is no wrong usage of banners until unless it's valid.

Discussions are valid if someone is actually leading it and if it's not clashing a scheduled discussion.

HopieRemi OP June 19th, 2017

@JovialOne

What Unicorn meant is that our focus should first be on supporting issues coming in and not conducting pop ups that have nothing to do with the room. :)

surprisekie @BurningEmber

Viana June 16th, 2017

@BurningEmber thank you for this very important post! It's been on my mind for a while and I'm glad to see it addressed c:

@Viana

youre welcome!

sweetnutella June 18th, 2017

I agree with your point guys yes this thread is very helpful. But as a new mod myself, I would like to share my thoughts too....

I don't think that every new mod gets the best sources to do discussions. In the training we are just taught how to handle certain group chat setting situation, when to give proper warning and stuff. While in fact, knowing how to do discussion is important too. So far, I can handle it because I have been participating in several discussions before. I lurked, I noted everything I need to note, I learn from 'veteran' mods when they don't even realize it and I ask a lot of questions to listeners who are experienced mod, hehe heart

For me, my very first discussion was very nervousing. I was a fresh mod and I led a discussion alone... I was like OMG am I gonna make it, but I am happy I did xD

In my point of view, maybe before becoming a leader of a particular discussion, a mod needs to attend training or something like that first. Or, maybe they can be a co-host as the first step. The purpose is to let them feel less nervous and know how to run it in the best way they can.

So that's my opinion as a new mod xD wish it helpfulheart

HopieRemi OP June 18th, 2017

@sweetnutella

i want to host discussion training if that ever happens.

smiley@BurningEmber

sweetnutella June 19th, 2017

@BurningEmber then why don't we just make it happen? xD hehehe

Erica June 19th, 2017

@BurningEmber @sweetnutella discussion training was a thing awhile back! :o it wasn't like this huge group training but more help 1-1. Or "veteran" mods would lead with them for their discussion and help out. I do like the idea of the support team leader for that team attending the first discussion! :o

HopieRemi OP June 19th, 2017

@Erica

Yes if time zone possible. We have to keep time zones in mind.

@sweetnutella, I do agree with you on the point discussion traning but I have also noticed the support leaders of that support room do attend and if they aren't there you can ask help from any mod of the room . smiley I am happy you enjoyed it smiley