Community /

Grief & Loss

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Shared Experiences!♡
by Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Last post
21 hours ago
...See more Hey hey, everyone coming across this post. I hope you're doing well. 💛 Grief and loss, is something I feel most of us have experienced in different forms, with varied intensity of emotions, thoughts and emotional reactions to it. As earth-shatteringly difficult it is to experience loss of some kind and do not even get me started on loss of a love one hehe (oh but I definitely will come here too💛), or cope with it, I feel something that remotely, I say remotely because I'm not much of the opinion that anything ever truly helps or fills the void in your life and the hole in your heart! (Much love to you if you feel the same and Kudos to you if you found something that helped you in any way💛). Again, I feel something that *remotely* helps is that we aren't alone in our experiences! It's not like "seeing someone else in pain makes you feel better about yours", more like "seeing someone feel what you do, say what you cannot and understand what you find incomprehensible somewhere, somehow, in whatever small quantity possible too, makes you feel *seen*, makes your pain feel seen, reminds you that what you experienced is 'worthy' of a reaction from you, also helps you understand your feelings better, because sometimes you're not even sure what to really call that 'sudden feeling of a big lump forming in your throat when you're sitting around people giggling and doing their thing' when everything feels 'okay' around you". (Apologies for getting carried away haha, I'm not proof-reading this one, and it's just something straight from my heart, hopefully to yours, typos included😅) Anyway, circling back again, what I find remotely helpful is the idea of shared experiences, of people connected in their grief! Which is why I love reflecting on how someone perceives loss and grief for them, hearing what they have to say about it too! Sometimes it's these shared experiences, heart felt words and raw emotions that remind me I'm not alone, and a lot of times, this is comforting to know! Going forward, I'd like to share some quotes I find comforting with the hope that anyone coming across them here can have a little "oh you see it too?" moment, knowing they aren't alone either and someone has had experienced something as they have and stood by to share it with the world also. The massive amount of courage it takes to talk about it, to relive all of it all over again, to be *brave* for comforting someone else! Most people may not even realise how inspiring they are! 💛 Please feel welcome to share any quotes you like that provide you comfort or reflect on any you see here also! 💛
Defining Grief: Understanding Loss and Sorrow
by ASilentObserver
Last post
August 17th
...See more Hello all, I hope you are all being easy on yourself.  This post is part of 2 Week's Group Support Event on Grief Awareness [https://www.7cups.com/forum/groupmod/GroupSupportCommunityEvents_2295/Joinusfor2WeeksofGriefAwarenessEvent_334437/].   Grief is a complex and personal experience that affects everyone differently. So, the forum thread will be the space to share your thoughts, feelings, and experiences about grief. Let's explore what grief means to you, and how we can better understand and support one another during loss. What is grief?  Grief is a natural response to loss. It can be experienced in many different ways and at varying intensities.  I am sharing a few questions for this week's forum discussion on grief. Please feel free to share your thoughts on any or a few questions as per your comfort. Please include the question that you responding to so we can have a focused discussion.  Questions for discussion:  * Can you describe a time when you experienced grief? What did it feel like? * How does grief differ from sadness? * Are there different types of grief? If so, can you explain them? * How does culture or religion influence our understanding of grief? * What misconceptions about grief have you encountered? * How can we create a more open and supportive environment for those experiencing grief? Tagging a few friends for the discussion:  @marinsen, @summerkay2024, @Catunion, @jonghyunnie, @daydreammemories, @richvision, @mytwistedsoul, @communicativepond1728,  @reallyoverallofit, @tinywhisper11, @jaeteuk, @thoughtlight
Grief & Loss Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
July 20th
...See more Welcome to the Grief & Loss Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 9 September (updated by @tommy) @azuladragon34 @Char1984 @CordialBeing @GentleCalmness @HealingTalk @Jaeteuk @LeonardoMarino @mish3l @mytwistedsoul @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @tommy
Shared Experiences!♡
by Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Last post
21 hours ago
...See more Hey hey, everyone coming across this post. I hope you're doing well. 💛 Grief and loss, is something I feel most of us have experienced in different forms, with varied intensity of emotions, thoughts and emotional reactions to it. As earth-shatteringly difficult it is to experience loss of some kind and do not even get me started on loss of a love one hehe (oh but I definitely will come here too💛), or cope with it, I feel something that remotely, I say remotely because I'm not much of the opinion that anything ever truly helps or fills the void in your life and the hole in your heart! (Much love to you if you feel the same and Kudos to you if you found something that helped you in any way💛). Again, I feel something that *remotely* helps is that we aren't alone in our experiences! It's not like "seeing someone else in pain makes you feel better about yours", more like "seeing someone feel what you do, say what you cannot and understand what you find incomprehensible somewhere, somehow, in whatever small quantity possible too, makes you feel *seen*, makes your pain feel seen, reminds you that what you experienced is 'worthy' of a reaction from you, also helps you understand your feelings better, because sometimes you're not even sure what to really call that 'sudden feeling of a big lump forming in your throat when you're sitting around people giggling and doing their thing' when everything feels 'okay' around you". (Apologies for getting carried away haha, I'm not proof-reading this one, and it's just something straight from my heart, hopefully to yours, typos included😅) Anyway, circling back again, what I find remotely helpful is the idea of shared experiences, of people connected in their grief! Which is why I love reflecting on how someone perceives loss and grief for them, hearing what they have to say about it too! Sometimes it's these shared experiences, heart felt words and raw emotions that remind me I'm not alone, and a lot of times, this is comforting to know! Going forward, I'd like to share some quotes I find comforting with the hope that anyone coming across them here can have a little "oh you see it too?" moment, knowing they aren't alone either and someone has had experienced something as they have and stood by to share it with the world also. The massive amount of courage it takes to talk about it, to relive all of it all over again, to be *brave* for comforting someone else! Most people may not even realise how inspiring they are! 💛 Please feel welcome to share any quotes you like that provide you comfort or reflect on any you see here also! 💛
Coping with Grief and Loss
by Mel
Last post
Friday
...See more There is no right or wrong way to grieve, but there are healthy ways to deal with the grieving process. What are your own tips for coping with Grief & Loss? Here are mine: 1) Take care of yourself as you grieve! Everything you feel is normal and valid. 2) Face your feelings - they're there, okay, what are we going to do about them? 3) Find ways that you like to digest what you're feeling! It could be writing, drawing, talking, whatever you feel comfortable with! Share with us!
Grief Therapy: All You Need to Know
by fruityPond7887
Last post
August 12th
...See more "If you’re coping with grief, counseling can help you to process the feelings of shock, pain, and anger that can accompany bereavement. Grief is one of the few truly universal human experiences. Everyone will experience loss at some point in their life, but that doesn’t make it any easier to prepare for. Just as no two deaths are quite the same, the experience of grief can vary from one person to the next. There’s no timeline, and no clear blueprint to follow. Some people may find that they’re able to find ways to cope with a loss relatively quickly, while for other people, grief will go on for a prolonged period, and it may start to interfere with their daily life. Many factors can affect how a person grieves. Processing a sudden or violent death might look different than processing a death that was expected. On the other hand, losing a loved one to a terminal condition comes with its own unique and painful emotions. No matter the circumstances, there’s no real way to prepare yourself for bereavement, but there are options to help you cope. You’re not alone. What is therapy for grief? Grief therapy is often referred to as grief counseling or bereavement counseling. It’s a type of psychotherapy that’s specifically designed to help you to cope with: * the loss of a loved one or pet * job transitions * moving-related loss * changes in romantic relationships, such as divorce or breakups. Anyone may benefit from grief therapy, but it may be especially helpful if the grief you’re experiencing: * affects your day-to-day life or relationships * causes you excessive guilt * has prompted symptoms of depression [https://psychcentral.com/depression/depression] that don’t seem to be improving over time It’s natural to feel overwhelmed by emotions after a significant loss. But if your grief feels like too much to handle, or it’s beginning to affect your ability to function, grief therapy could be a helpful option. Are there different types of grief? Grief can take all kinds of different forms, and there are several distinct types that a person may experience. Grief therapy can be particularly helpful in these cases. 1. Traumatic grief 2. Complicated grief 3. Anticipatory grief 4. Ambiguous loss Grief therapy techniques Any form of talk therapy [https://psychcentral.com/lib/psychotherapy] can be effective for bereavement because it creates a safe, non-judgmental space for a person to express any emotions they’re experiencing. In some cases, there are specific techniques that a therapist may use to treat grief. 1. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) 2. Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) 3. Complicated grief therapy (CGT) Let’s recap Bereavement is one of the most challenging experiences anyone can go through. No matter the circumstances, a significant loss always brings an onslaught of emotions that can feel overwhelming. But grief looks different for everyone. In many cases, people are able to work through grief without counseling. But in some situations, particularly when a loss is sudden or unnatural, grief can become more chronic. In these cases, grief therapy can be a worthwhile option. If you’ve recently experienced a loss, try not to put any pressure on yourself to grieve in a particular way, or on a particular timeline. It’s natural to feel intense sadness and pain, and also to feel emotionally numb at times. These aren’t necessarily signs that you need to seek professional help. But if your feelings feel impossible to handle or they’re affecting your life and relationships, consider reaching out to a therapist. They can help you to take care of yourself, and give you the space you need to process your loss." *Grief is an extremely complex emotion and it looks different for everyone. There is no timeline or correct way to work through loss and loss also doesn't just have to be a death of a loved one. It can be the loss of a pet, a job switch, or a move. Grief can become chronic for some and that's okay! It's at this point when someone should consider seeing a mental health professional. There's no shame in reaching out for help because they can provide a safe space for someone to work through their grief. We will all go through grief at some point in life, so it's important to know that we are never truly alone. 💛 Have you ever gone through grief where you needed to reach out for professional help? What was your experience like?* #Grief #Loss #GriefTherapy #Coping Please find the full article at Psych Central [https://psychcentral.com/health/therapy-for-grief#recap]! If you liked this article, you may like this one! [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/Wecanthavechangewithoutloss_289676/]
Grief Meme
by SummerKay2024
Last post
July 31st
...See more Missing you all so very much. 
When do you start feeling yourself again.
by Amanda84
Last post
July 25th
...See more Hello everyone, my name is Amanda84, I wanted to say hello to you all and I hope that you are all doing well and having a good day :) The hardest thing I have been through is grief, you go through so many emotions, there is no set time to grief, the hardest thing for me is, that it sometimes comes in waves and other times, it comes out of the blue, you hear a certain song and suddenly you are transported back to a time and a place with that special person. Love is so strong that sometimes, people don't know what to say when someone is grieving, because ultimately, the pain will always be there, but I am interested in hearing what has gotten other people through hard times and grief? What has worked for me is always doing something special on their birthdays, at Christmas, at Halloween, at Easter, to incorporate their memories into my everyday life :)
My best friend passed away a few months back
by discreetCucumber5236
Last post
July 20th
...See more My best friend and I were friends for years. We were friends since 4th grade and have been best friends from then.  He was the guy I told everything. Everything from my smallest insecurity to everything that happens in my life, staying at each other's houses etc. Then, we got into college and went our separate ways but always stayed in touch. Whenever he came to my town we always had a meetup over drinks. Then he got in a relationship in his college and everything went well for an year. But then for some reason, they broke up and he got kind of depressed. Then after a week, he committed suicide. We are a group of 3 friends and that stupid idiot didn't call us even once. We only got to know what was going on when he did commit the deed. Now I thought I had processed this grief, I had grown over it. But, when I drink, I again remember him. This happened at the times I had drunk quite a lot. I don't know how to get over this and I would like some advice for this
What helps grieving?
by Dirtshine
Last post
June 30th
...See more What can you do to support someone who lost their mother every recently? Can you share what you think would help ? If you are someone grieving you dear ones loss , i am veeery sorry you are hurting. Senting a tonne of warm hugs if you need them . 
Loss of Pet
by amusingWest5360
Last post
June 20th
...See more 6 days since we made the decision to put my/our family dog down and I feel as if I'm dying everyday from my grief.. I haven't enjoyed life much since then
Hanging in there
by hardworkingBeechwood6063
Last post
June 11th
...See more I have lost someone special to me. I'm trying to restore faith in life. i firmly believe there's always love to be found anywhere at anytime. I'm trying to remind myself of that. 
Tips for Dealing with your Grief
by HopieRemi
Last post
May 1st
...See more When we experience loss in our lives, it is important to remember that you have to let yourself grieve for as long as you need to in order to process through the loss.  Others in our lives can help us through the grief process and we should welcome and seek their support but there are things you can do to help yourself as well.  Here are some suggestions you may consider:  * Recognize your loss by putting your grief into words -- write it in a journal, in a letter to yourself or to the individual you have lost, write a forum thread about it memorializing your loved one, express it to a close friend or family member, talk to a spiritual leader or a professional counselor, talk to a listener here on 7cups or share in Sharing Circle. * Join a support group that deals with grief. This can be a safe environment to share about your grief openly, and be surrounded by others who are in similar situations. Your local mental health center, hospital, or even crisis line can direct you on finding groups in your area. You can also join the group support rooms here on 7cups. * Take care of yourself. Keep a regular schedule, eat a balanced diet, get adequate rest, and exercise moderately.  * Avoid taking on any new or extra responsibilities that may add stress to your life * Control the urge to make life-changing decisions. A loss can cause major disruption in our lives  and it common to feel lost. Be patient and make small decisions or identify tasks that can be easily done, this will help you feel confident and in control of life. * Plan activities that give you something to look forward to and things that bring you comfort and enjoyment - a walk with a friend, going out to eat, vacation, a spa day. If a holiday or specific day is particularly hard because of loss, plan activities or ask a friend to plan some that you find supportive * Let your friends, family, and work/school peers know what you need from them. People in your life may feel hesitant to talk about your loss. If talking about the loss would help you, let others know this. Sharing memories tells bereaved individuals that their loss is real  and remembered and their pain is shared. * If you are currently employed, learn if your workplace has a policy on bereavement leave and talk with your supervisor about options if you need time off or a temporary adjustment in work hours, workload, or responsibilities. What are some other things that you would recommend for someone who is dealing with grief? Feel free to share any resources.
A different approach to Random Acts of Kindness - G&L Community Event February 2024
by Kristynsmama
Last post
February 24th
...See more Today I would like to share a different perspective of RAK (Random Acts of Kindness).  When someone is grieving a significant loss of any type, they need support and help to just do normal daily activities of life.  When I lost my daughter, the only thing I could do for the first few months after she passed away was sit on my bed and rock back and forth asking myself, “why me?”  If it wasn’t for the kindness of my friends and family, I would have never survived that devastating and life altering time in my life.  Many people would tell me, “Call me if you need me,” or “I’m here if you need anything.”  These are the two most insignificant ways of trying to be supportive.  After the loss of my daughter I was literally unable to ask for what I needed.  I couldn’t even identify that I needed to go to the grocery store or that I needed to take a shower much less know who to call for what.  A dear friend of mine came over the day after the funeral.  She took all of the cards from the flowers, my thank you notes, and my Rolodex and told me that no parent should be expected to write thank you notes after burying their child.  I would have never known to ask someone to do this for me and it is the one act of kindness that someone did for me that has stayed with me to this very day.  In this post, I am going to share a list of things that I needed in the early days after Kristyn’s death.  If you are grieving this is a great list of things you can ask your friends and family to do to help you.  And if you have a friend who has just lost a loved one and are wondering what you can do to help, these are some suggestions: 1.  Write thank you notes for flowers.  Take Rolodex, cards from flowers, and thank you notes and write them for the person who is grieving. 2.  Many of you might have heard of this.  It’s called grief groceries.  Pick up basic necessities:  bread, milk, etc…. And deliver them and then send a text to the person telling them there are groceries on their porch.  The bereaved person won’t have to deal with going to the grocery store or seeing anyone but they will still get the items they need. 3.  When the bereaved person is ready to go through their loved ones belongings, they could probably use the support of friends or family to decide what to do with the deceased loved ones belongings. 4.  Chore help:  A person who is coping with a significant loss needs help just to maintain their household chores:  dishes, vacuuming, laundry, mowing the lawn, etc are all things that could be helpful. 5.  Avoid making food to fill a fridge.  While that is a good gesture, everyone thinks to bring food and the last thing someone wants to do is eat when they are grieving.  And they have so much food.  It is better to get a gift card for groceries or a restaurant that they can use when they need it. 6. Everyone is there for a grieving person right after the loss of their loved one.  But 6 months down the line, everyone has gone back to their normal life, except the grieving person is still grieving.  A random card in the mail, text message, or email telling them you are still thinking of them and remembering their loved one can mean more than you know.
Grief & Loss Question of the Week
by Kristynsmama
Last post
February 21st
...See more Well.  It’s Sunday and we are heading into another new week.  That means it’s time for Question of the Week. What types of things help when you are grieving?  (Hobbies, people, things, etc….)

Our warmest welcome to the Grief & Loss Community!

To Join our Community:
- From a phone: click the three dots "..." at the top left and press "Join Community".
- From a computer: click the "+ Join" button to the left.

This is a caring and safe place to share your feelings arising from the loss of someone very important in your life. Might be a very recent loss, in the distant past, or any time in between.

You are invited to tell your story, write about your emotions, and also support others. Sort by "Recent" and answer their posts from your perspective and with your comforting words.

This is also a place to ask questions about the nature of grieving, how to cope with the pain, and also how to manage the disruption this loss might have caused in your life.

And then, get tentative answers from people who have been in the same situation.

Here we encourage and welcome remembering and honoring the memory of important people in your life who are no longer with you. You are invited to write about them, tell us what made them special, and tell us your feelings towards them.

You might join our Check-Ins too, where we meet and exchange ideas around a common topic.

What are the different forum topics for Grief & Loss?

Check-ins from the Community Team: Current and former check-ins for you to join the talk with other members of the Community around a common topic.
Resources for Grief and Processing Emotions: Find resources here to help overcome grief. 

Community Space: Short posts to share your opinion about different topics. 

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Help! I still have a question!

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader (to the bottom of this column) or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

Be Kind. Unkind posts will be deletedYou will receive a message in this unlikely event.

You must also follow 7 Cups' general forum guidelines.

Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader