Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I hate everything that is going on in my life

PurpleAndBlueSunStar August 24th, 2016

Damn! I'm tired, I feel depressed, I really think I'm depressed, but can't get help because it's extremely expensive to see a counselor and government doesn't provide help.

My parents, specially my mom, I really love her but now she's acting not like she has always been, she's mad all the time! Fuck fuck I hate the career I have chosen to study, I feel I little pushed to chose it because of her. I haven't finished yet and she's pushing me to get a job, don't get me wrong, that would be wonderful, but I don't feel emotionally or mentally capable, I will be fired after a week, because I'm a cry baby, and also get angry really easy and If I don't think clearly I can physically hurt people. Now my mother is pushing my sister (younger than me, still in high school) to take some course in order to get a job and also study in college, but sister is facing the same problem I am, she doesn't know what she wants to study and my mother is putting lot of pressure on to her to choose something related to my mother dreams, I was talking with my mom and she told me I should stop putting ideas on my sister's head, when she's the one doing that. My sis told me she has something for sure, she wants to be happy, and I'm glad. My sister isn't a top top class students but she has been on the honors students, she told me she wants to focus on school only, she wants to get better grades and she will work on them, my mother wants that plus she starting to study in other place too.

DeborahUK August 24th, 2016

@PurpleAndBlueSunStar

Ohhh, I remember that time in my life well! Feeling I had big decisions to take, responsibility to face, but not really feeling ready for either. I'll let you into a secret.....I still often feel that way now, many, many years later!

I suspect your mom wants to see you both financially and emotionally independent, as she sees that as the way to a happy life, and finding a job is part of that. You see it as pushing, maybe she thinks of it as encouraging. Who's to say who's right? But the thing to remember is nothing has to be forever. We can all change our minds about things, steer a different course, dip our toe in various ponds. And if it turns out to be unsuitable, we can try something else.

Personally I think too much pressure is placed on young people to make career choices at an early age, and actually you need to get to know yourself a bit first. It's especially hard if you're experiencing depression, because that can cause you to doubt yourself, your ability, and your decisions. But equally, becoming independent and able to support yourself is an important part of being an adult. Maybe it would help for you and your mom to chat about what's important to you both, and see what common ground you have to move forward on?

Daydreamer47 November 9th, 2016

@DeborahUK no matter her intent, her behavior is harmful and unacceptable. she's an adult; she can take responsibility for treating people with respect. #sorrynotsorry

ItsBrooke August 24th, 2016

toughGrapes3325 August 26th, 2016

@ItsBrooke Hey, just checking on you. I hope you feel better. I can relate to having similar feelings at times. There are so many options and you are here. I am so glad. Others I'm pretty confident feel the same way as we have.

Daydreamer47 November 9th, 2016

@PurpleAndBlueSunStar yeah i can relate to this a lot. your mom's behavior is not okay. i hope you are able to find some peace of mind with some other people or activities away from her.