Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Interview Diaries - Being a Wheelchair user!

MistyMagic September 9th

Hello everyone, this is an interview about ‘Life being a wheelchair user’.

AD_4nXfB1xEvQa3Mpvc9yvyq1fPwEJE7EvUiin-lRuRpxZWz-7R-M6T1rcfm2SvkOBQcyPBaVzy2Yv7HvQgKXOd5oyhEgAKqAdXescVo8dr5Aptab1P8EDdNqrM1EWwclURyagXA3NfCqxk7rOM3C8_mYkKT1PXe?key=08T1cTLz5PQVDN5QXbe0dA

Our interviewee has requested to remain anonymous during this interview and because of the importance of this discussion about being a wheelchair user, we are happy to accept. that.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions so we may better learn and understand what life is like using a wheelchair. It is our pleasure to find out more.

1. Please can you tell us about why you need to use a wheelchair?

I use a wheelchair because I'm half paralyzed, and a double amputee. So I couldn't live without one.

1. How does using an electric wheelchair benefit your life? 

Using an electric wheelchair is really great for going out in public and for ease to use ramps, and just generally getting around. I have injections in my spine every few months, towards the last month or so, the pain becomes too much and I can only use the electric wheelchair.

1. Do you prefer an electric or a manual chair?

I prefer the manual wheelchair, because it keeps my upper body strength up and gives me the satisfaction that I'm able to keep going ❤ Also manual wheelchairs are much more fun for racing downhill😁weeeeeeee!😂

1. What are the worst parts of being wheelchair dependent?

The worst thing being wheelchair dependent for me, is I need to rely on my carers to do so much for me, it can make you feel like a burden. But I am so thankful for my carers ❤😁 it also sucks you know, having people talk behind your back and always pushing you around😂

1. It is great that you still have a sense of humour, which shows in your posts. How can we help to support someone who uses a wheelchair? 

Wheelchair users just want to be accepted, so how you can help is don't look at us funny or call us names 🙁 it can really hurt, and damage our confidence. A lot of us already have self esteem issues. So just be kind

1. Sometimes it is hard to know how to approach or offer to help a person that is in a wheelchair. Do you have any tips or advice for these kinds of situations, or do you have any examples?

To approach people in wheelchairs, or with elderly people or anyone who looks like they need help, then please do come up and offer assistance. We are just normal people, who appreciate your help just like anyone else. Just don't sneak up behind us😂 we don't want any heart attacks😂.

1. What else would you like to share with us about your life using a wheelchair?

Um🤔 maybe if you guys could put pedals on my wheelchair, for when my arms get tired, that would be great😂only joking 😁 just please know we are able to do a LOT of things, so don't just see our disabilities, focus on our abilities instead. 

And to all other wheelchair users out there. 

Don't let anyone tell you, you can't.
You are more able than you think!
Find happiness in the little things,
and 

Enjoy your life!

AD_4nXdekDq1VA9lBGTGnB4wT36Eula6fA4U_eZ2WL8cZ6P8FsO-l0HPA9phX7i4eCZyFpBTYJ365qNkXauS4b05NUEDhlxO5n4_iP3bd8KuYuxaY0LL80bGXVVMR7NoBEuPYW-tm8gPGHcahnbaTFnMDpXUciTW?key=08T1cTLz5PQVDN5QXbe0dA

Thank you for answering our questions, it has been really interesting and a pleasure to find out more about your life in a wheelchair.

If you have any questions that you would like to ask our wheelchair user then please post in a reply below.

AD_4nXfjnjwkOb3J1xKkpyvqfYI9vk4Khu_si3oUp2lcNrT_EJFVCfhyDoHfOTG7L8BWeQWziTakHwdRKSYcgPoAPesrli0m5q48Dqh4VhnDKh7ewENX_4mZvJ8QpTC-99zPE2-LdadbfIP6fb-uJIEjku8Wonsy?key=08T1cTLz5PQVDN5QXbe0dA

Some Resources to find out more

Mobility International USA (MIUSA)  MIUSA

MIUSA is an organization dedicated to advancing disability rights and leadership globally. They provide resources, programs, and information on travel, international exchange, and leadership for people with disabilities.

National Center on Accessibility  NCA

NCA promotes access and inclusion for people with disabilities in parks, recreation, and tourism. They offer training, technical assistance, and resources related to accessibility in outdoor environments and recreational facilities.

United Spinal Association United Spinal Association

Description: This organization offers resources, advocacy, and support to individuals with spinal cord injuries and disorders. Their website provides information on health, wellness, mobility, and rights for wheelchair users.

Wheelchair Travel Wheelchair Travel

Wheelchair Travel provides detailed travel guides, tips, and resources specifically tailored for wheelchair users. The website covers accessibility in various destinations, transportation, and accommodations worldwide.

Abilities.com  Abilities

Description: Abilities.com is a resource hub for individuals with disabilities, offering information on assistive technology, accessible products, events, and services. It also features a community forum for sharing experiences and advice.

Paralyzed Veterans of America  PVA

Description: PVA provides support and advocacy for veterans with spinal cord injuries. Their resources include health and wellness information, legal services, and assistance with accessible housing and employment.

Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund  DREDF

DREDF is a leading civil rights law and policy center that works for disability rights. They provide legal advocacy, education, and resources on accessibility, disability laws, and rights.

MobilityWorks: MobilityWorks

MobilityWorks is a national chain of wheelchair accessible van providers, offering vehicles, equipment, and modifications for people with mobility issues. Their site also has resources on financing and renting accessible vehicles.

Wheelchair Foundation  Wheelchair Foundation

The Wheelchair Foundation provides wheelchairs to those in need around the world. Their site includes information on their global impact, donation opportunities, and stories of lives changed through mobility.

Ice cream for everyone!

AD_4nXeWw5eavlfsrdCFkOZ5dDuT6n5lGnPTlbqvjmuZAtzBceDXG-yDOg-g1I7jEfM2yMsdzzRnEDZoC84q_vOmQppRf2tgaF0nWsq-KxnlSGN5Wbma3LZ0AwZ3mJS2uu8H82aMncb6aVrqwaLgb3YwTFdNL3Tg?key=08T1cTLz5PQVDN5QXbe0dA

MistyMagic OP September 9th

Come and read the latest Interview|!

For anyone interested in being a part of this, there is a form https://forms.gle/MZ1df1FWtJYHQvuy9  to express your interest in being interviewed as well as volunteering to interview someone else.

Catch up with other Interviews Here in our Master List!

Want to join the Disability Support Community Team? Find out more Here

Add or Remove yourself from the taglist here
@777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @NovaIsNB @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @wishfulWillow6962 @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Xisle @Zed786

slowdecline48 September 10th

@MistyMagic Good interview!

"Anonymous"* - have you talked to any of the care staff about lubing the wheels when you have to use the manual wheelchair?...oiling the axles would definitely help you to get around. It would minimize physical resistance from the wheelchair itself.

*Am pretty sure I know who the interviewee is at this point.

Tinywhisper11 September 12th

@slowdecline48 no dec it's not me, I'm anonamouse. Lubing🤔🤔 I will check with my carers on that ❤❤ gives you a giant anonamouse hug ❤❤

AffyAvo September 10th

Great interview. Thanks Misty and the interviewee for sharing your experiences!

@AffyAvo ❤❤

adventurousBranch3786 September 10th

@MistyMagic. Thanks to you and the person interviewed (they sound like they are a wonderful person).

@adventurousBranch3786 yes I am wonderful😁 thanks for noticing ❤❤ hugs you tightly ❤

audienta September 10th

Thank you, @MistyMagic and anonymous person! As a fellow wheelchair user, I really appreciate this post. One thing I'd add is that my wheelchair is an extension of my body and I do not want you to touch it without consent. It's incredible how many people think it's okay to move wheelchair users. I mean, would you just lift up someone and move them to a different place? I doubt it... So please don't do this to wheelchair users either. 

I have a question as well: Does an electric wheelchair make it easier or harder to travel in terms of accessibility in comparison to a manual wheelchair in your experience? For example, can you get up and down curbs with an electric wheelchair?

@audienta I'm not sure if it's the same in all countries, but over here our streets have areas where the curb dips, so it's easy accessible for manual and electric wheelchair users ❤❤

audienta Thursday

@Tinywhisper11

Okay, yeah, we have dips here as well - sometimes - but even then, I have to do a short wheely and that just uses up a lot of energy as I have to do that so often where I live. When it's not dipped, I don't have a chance getting up/down.