Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Boom! or Bust! All about pacing . . .

MistyMagic April 10th

This post will open our new series on 

P A I N !💥

All About. . .

Boom!⬆️ Bust 🔽 and Pacing 🟰

hGzXcRMep6sCHeYgRZQi14jwPFHbdujBWr0SZur0DRzyA7-18RUWVMtB40LbhVR051plUKS38IGmeDFCUy7fBdWgo3pL5TKAf_RnA7NfkrHyviBMdhtaJCrB5H2i59KDBeYnYBId1kxH6H4f_hQq9ow

The concept of "boom-bust" and “pacing” particularly in the context of disabilities, refers to a pattern of energy expenditure characterized by alternating periods of high activity or productivity ("boom") and subsequent periods of low energy, exhaustion, or rest ("bust"). This approach is often employed by individuals with chronic illnesses, disabilities, or conditions that cause fluctuations in energy levels, such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, or certain types of disabilities affecting energy levels.

How often have you started out at the beginning of an activity or project full of energy (Boom) racing along only to begin feeling tired, but still you carry on because you don’t want to stop, or you just want to finish what you are doing, and then the next day you are so very tired and in pain or exhausted and cannot do anything (Busted) and the recovery takes a few days or even longer?

Here's a breakdown of the “boom-bust” and “pacing” approach and its implications for individuals with disabilities:

Understanding Energy Levels: Boom-bust pacing recognizes that individuals with disabilities often have limited energy reserves, which can fluctuate from day to day or even within the same day. It emphasizes the importance of being attuned to one's own energy levels and learning to manage them effectively.

Managing Activities: Rather than trying to maintain a constant level of activity throughout the day, boom-bust pacing involves identifying periods of higher energy (boom) and using them for more demanding tasks or activities, while conserving energy during periods of lower energy (bust) through rest or less demanding activities.

Prioritizing Tasks: Individuals practicing boom-bust pacing often prioritize tasks based on their energy levels. Important or demanding tasks are tackled during periods of higher energy, while less critical tasks may be deferred to periods of lower energy.

Ask yourself these questions and think about your answers, then jot them down so that you have a list of your priorities, you can add them in your reply to this post.

• What is important? - read all the points below before deciding!

• What MUST I do?

• What do I want to do?

• What do others want me to do?

• What am I expected to do? (may include deadlines)

• What can I do?

Avoiding Overexertion: By pacing activities and balancing periods of activity with rest, individuals can reduce the risk of overexertion, which can exacerbate symptoms or lead to "crashes" where energy levels plummet (bust), sometimes for an extended period as the recovery needed after a “boom” can be extensive and disproportionate to the gain.

Examples: 

You may want to finish weeding a flower border and do it all in one afternoon, the flower border looks great but you end up exhausted in bed for 3 days. If you had spread it over 2 afternoons then you would not end up exhausted.

You have an important exam next week, so you stay up all night studying. The next day you cannot get out of bed because of the body aches and exhaustion. If you had split the studying into short periods then you would not have crashed so badly and could have revised for a few hours every day. 

Remember to STOP BEFORE the pain is too bad or STOP BEFORE you feel exhausted, that way the rebound to recovery is faster, and smoother, and repeatable.

Take a look at https://www.pomodorotechnique.com/  splitting studying or any task into shorter periods. The original technique has six steps:

1. Decide on the task to be done.

2. Set the Pomodoro timer (typically for 25 minutes).

3. Work on the task.

4. End work when the timer rings and take a short break (typically 5–10 minutes).

5. Go back to Step 2 and repeat until you complete four pomodoros.

6. After four pomodoros are done, take a long break (typically 20 to 30 minutes) instead of a short break. Once the long break is finished, return to step 2. ( a pomodoro is an interval of work time).

Also the Spoon Theory 🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄🥄 and Here

Flexibility and Adaptability
: Boom-bust pacing requires flexibility and adaptability, as energy levels can vary unpredictably. It's important for individuals to listen to their bodies, adjust their plans as needed, and never feel guilty for needing to rest or modify their activities.

Communication and Advocacy: In work or social settings, it's essential for individuals practicing boom-bust pacing to communicate their needs effectively and advocate for accommodations or adjustments when necessary. This might involve explaining their pacing approach to employers, colleagues, or friends and asking for understanding and support.

Self-Care and Wellness: Boom-bust pacing is ultimately about self-care and managing one's health effectively. It involves not only managing physical energy but also attending to emotional and mental well-being, recognizing the importance of rest, relaxation, and activities that bring satisfaction, happiness, and joy.

2XQXnn11vwVZIRY3R-cuqAncwyKQ45qExr_WvrpPFHZEHMOo2rn70Rv_HGe7ao0vYZZWbBLUXAnWg7m0E6QaBRZX22ka-hS7BQPUo4I370EPvr3_Uu3NK-JwbgppKPE42UZ5ofZdneJrJBdkrRWIl7Q

Overall, boom-bust pacing can be a valuable strategy for anyone, but more so for individuals with disabilities to manage their energy levels and navigate daily life more effectively.

By learning to listen to their bodies, prioritize tasks, balance activity with rest ie: pacing themselves, individuals can optimize their functioning and improve their quality of life despite the challenges posed by their disabilities.

Chronic Pain Resources  Here
Living with Chronic pain Here
More on Pacing Here

Questions to ask yourself, please reply below!

1. Do you recognize yourself as a ‘boom-bust’ or ‘pacing’ individual?

2. Have you ever used this method? If you haven’t will you try it in the future? If not why not? If you do does it help?

3. Can you remember one time when you carried on when you should have stopped and rested? What happened?

4. Do you have tips to share with us, please do!

Consider joining the Disability Community Support Team. More information Here

Tag list @777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @NovaIsNB @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @tearstruck @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @wishfulWillow6962 @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Xisle @Zed786

Add or Remove yourself in this thread HERE

Countrygirl095 April 10th

@MistyMagic thank you for posting this. How do I recognize everything? I listen to the signals of my body.

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@Countrygirl095 Listening to our body is always a good thing to do, but sometimes outside excitement can overcome those inner voices and signals. 

Listening - One Step At A Time! - Written with no AI!

Heather225 April 10th

@MistyMagic

excellent topic! i'd never heard these terms before. i am definitely a boom-bust aspiring to be a pacing person instead haha

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@Heather225 Yes I think a lot of us are, and it definitely works as I get more done now when I remember to pace myself, which for me is hard, as you know I tend to boom lol!

Heather225 April 12th

@MistyMagic

you 🤝 me
pacing accountability buddies lol

Positron2 April 11th

I need knee replacement surgery. Last week I got a bicycle trainer to do some Physical Therapy.
bike-trainer-2_1712793972.jpg

• What is important? - read all the points below before deciding!

Getting Healthy prior to surgery

• What MUST I do?

A little bit each day

• What do I want to do?

Put on some music and exercise for 5 or 6 songs = 30 minutes

• What do others want me to do?

My doctor say I have to quit smoking too.

• What am I expected to do? (may include deadlines)

I expect to ride the trainer everyday for a little while.
    Sometimes I can't do 30 min and have to stop because my body pain tells me I have done enough for today.

My next appointment with the orthopedic surgeon is in June to see if I am ready.

Tinywhisper11 April 11th

@Positron2 ohh wow! Sorry posi😟 gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤ I hope you are all fixed up and not in pain soon ❤❤

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@Positron2  I love the bicycle trainer! That will help you I am sure. I find that playing songs at the time is far better than watching the clock and seeing the minutes go by.  You have a few months to get things working and improved and a very good incentive too! Mahbe even keep a log here so that we can all support you and spur you on? We have a Disability Diary section that you could start a thread in.  https://www.7cups.com/forum/disabilities/DisabilityDiary_2664/

slowdecline48 April 19th

@Positron2 Good luck with the upcoming operation!

tearstruck April 11th

@MistyMagic Thank youuu!!!! 😊🥰 I definitely need to get better at recognising when I am overdoing it!

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@tearstruck I think we all do!  But it is so easy to just push that little bit further on instead of stopping when we should and then crash!

Tinywhisper11 April 11th

@MistyMagic thankyou for all this information, and tips ❤ my disabilities restrict my movement, and constant pain. So I'm limited on what I can do. But if I get things done in the mornings, that's when my pain levels are the lowest and I have the most energy. Although I do know when to stop. I can't over push myself

I hope your doing ok misty? Gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@Tinywhisper11 It is good that you recognise that mornings are better for you. I find that too, and by the afternoon not even coffee helps.
I am doing ok, thanks for asking Tiny and thanks for the lovely warm hug too!

Tinywhisper11 August 26th

@MistyMagic ❤❤❤

audienta June 15th

@MistyMagic

1. Do you recognize yourself as a ‘boom-bust’ or ‘pacing’ individual?

I've been a boom-bust person, but as someone with severe ME/CFS, I now have to be a pacing individual. It's very hard for me to hold myself back and not just try to push through but I try to learn from my past mistakes. 

2. Have you ever used this method? If you haven’t will you try it in the future? If not why not? If you do does it help?

I have used this method extensively since November last year (before that, it wasn't completely possible due to some circumstances) and I have to say that it really makes a difference. I see improvements in symptoms that I hadn't even linked to overextension before. But at the same time it needs so much patience and acceptance as it makes me realise that I really can't do some things anymore. I think it's important to talk about the fact that the boom-bust lifestyle can come from ignoring your disability and it can successfully make you have experiences that let you forget you have an illness. Yes, you pay for it afterwards, but it also can give a boost in your quality of life for a short period of time. And when you pace you can't have some of these experiences anymore as they are too much for you and that can lead to grief for the losses you have and the realisation that you actually are disabled. At least, that's my experience.

3. Can you remember one time when you carried on when you should have stopped and rested? What happened?

I've experienced this a lot of times, in small and in big ways. In small ways, I think about times when I was for example walking/sitting too much and then had a flare-up for a few days. And in big ways, I have overexerted myself for months which led to a total crash that landed me in hospital. And yes, that happened multiple times. 

4. Do you have tips to share with us, please do!

For me, it helps to track my activity and symptoms. I made myself a Google form that I fill in every evening and then I can see the developments and connections in a Google sheet. That really helps.

For example, I'm currently working on the time I can spend sitting. I started with 15 minutes per day and then tried to extend it to 30 minutes. Whenever my pain and fatigue started acting up afterwards, I rested for a few days and then only did 20 minutes. After a while, I tried the 30 minutes again and repeated the whole process until I realised that I could do 30 minutes without a flare-up. Then I started doing 60 minutes one day every two weeks and rested in between and now I can do that with only a small exacerbation of pain afterwards.

Another thing I've found helpful, especially for physiotherapy, is watching my heart rate. I tried to stay under a certain limit and paused whenever it got too high. There are a few different ways of calculating your limit but in the end, you have to try it out for yourself. If you're interested in calculating it, this link might be helpful to you, however, this website is about pacing with ME/CFS or fibromyalgia, so it's probably different for other illnesses: Pacing By Numbers - CFS and Fibromyalgia Selfhelp

AffyAvo June 16th

@audienta Thanks for sharing that link! My illnesses are different but I did find the information there interesting plus it gives some different things to look at for trends - like elevated morning resting heart rate a day or 2 after going over a threshold.

audienta June 16th

@AffyAvo

I found this part interesting too and want to try it out! I just have to remember to check my pulse every morning which is another challenge... I hope the information can be helpful to you!

MistyMagic OP June 16th

@audienta Thanks for posting and sharing how this works for you. That link is very useful too. 

Listening - One Step At A Time!

audienta June 16th

@MistyMagic

Thank you, I hope it can help!

audienta June 17th

@adventurousBranch3786

Thank you!

Ulrich1963 June 17th

Hi

MistyMagic OP June 18th

@Ulrich1963 Hi there, good to see you!

DCcat1989 June 18th

📓 Do you recognize yourself as a ‘boom-bust’ or ‘pacing’ individual?

😺 Boom-Bust person.... I have a ton of energy in the morning and then around lunchtime I breakdown and take a 2 hour nap..... Then I'm full of energy again.....

📓 Have you ever used this method? If you haven’t will you try it in the future? If not why not? If you do does it help?

😺 Not consciously but definitely going to try it! It sounds like a good idea ☺️ 

📓 Can you remember one time when you carried on when you should have stopped and rested? What happened?

😺 Many many times I usually shut down and cry. I get easily overwhelmed and then I overthink and then I spiral down.

📓 Do you have tips to share with us, please do!

😺 Do what you can and also put "no" into your vocabulary. It might be uncomfortable to say no to others thinking you're being selfish but for me I feel like it's prioritizing yourself. 

MistyMagic OP June 18th

@DCcat1989 Hi there, thanks for replying!

" Do what you can and also put "no" into your vocabulary. It might be uncomfortable to say no to others thinking you're being selfish but for me I feel like it's prioritizing yourself. "

What a great point. I agree that saying 'no' can be difficult, but it can also be very helpful to our wellbeing. Making priorities can be tricky but we need to work on that too.

slowdecline48 August 25th

The last two days, the afternoons have been "bust" so I've had to rest whether I want to or not.

MistyMagic OP August 25th

@slowdecline48 sorry to hear that, when it happens it happens! Rest well goodnight-sleep.gif

Tinywhisper11 August 26th

@slowdecline48 you just need a good kick start.. I'd help you out. But you know I'm peggy😂😂😂😂

slowdecline48 August 31st

@Tinywhisper11 I have enough long wooden objects here already, Smurfette. 😏 You know I have four canes in the house; a 5th one is almost done.