Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

12) About the Writer: Writing Effective Writer Biographies

SoulfullyAButterfly March 10th, 2021

As discussed before, incorporating EAT helps enhance content quality and helps more people discover the developed content.

Apart from ensuring EAT within our content, we need to ensure that we have effective writer biographies that support the developed content.

In this discussion, we will understand how to ensure effective writer biographies through applying EAT and other best practices.

1. Expertise

• When considering the expertise factor for author biographies, expertise refers to the credentials or experience the author has.
  • Medical content is best supported/expertised through medical professionals, for example, and similarly, relevant experience or education qualifies as expertise.
  • However, if one does not have a degree, expertise can be demonstrated through lived experience or other ways. For example, being an active listener for 7 Cups for 3 years does demonstrate expertise in listening and supporting mental health concerns.

Note: To keep up with the Expertise factor’s need, 7 Cups currently either pairs content writers with experts and content is published through the expert profile with the writer biography contained at the end of the co-authored article, or publishes writer works through a shared account called “7 Cups Community, Global Support” - the biography of this account is optimized to reflect EAT.

1. Authoritativeness

• Authority in terms of an author biography refers to the number of citations the author has. This includes their publications and other published content, as well as any reviews or things that show the impact or quality of their work.
  1. Trust

• Trust is also determined by an author’s citations - trusted authors have published content for websites and publications that score high on EAT factors.
  • Trust is also established through the quality of an author’s content.

Activity

Using the factors discussed above, write a biography for your prospective articles at 7 Cups. Feel welcome to include your real name/pseudonym or first name - anything you are comfortable with being prospectively published!

After you have written the brief paragraph-form biography, point out what parts of the biography highlight each of the EAT factors.

Respond to at least one other student’s biography and comment your feedback for improvement.

Bonus (Optional): Consider starting a 7 Cups creator portfolio here!

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

stargirl123456 November 14th, 2023

@Wildarkberry

Amazing job, very detailed description. The only thing missing was what parts of the biography highlighted each of the EAT factors.

stargirl123456 November 14th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Helpful has been an active listener in 7 cups since August 2023. She has completed several trainings related to mental health and considers it important to help others. She is currently participating in the Content Development and Marketing Program. It is important for her to write articles with adequate knowledge that draw attention to mental illnesses. As a verified listener, she has helped many people. People can trust her because she is open-minded and non-judgmental.

-        - Expertise: completed trainings related to mental health

-        -  Authority: listening experience

-        -  Trust: being a non-judgmental listener

babyangel November 17th, 2023

@helpfulmindful88

Overall, the biography is strong in conveying a commitment to expertise, authority, and trust. To improve, consider providing more specific details about the mental health training and the extent of your listening experience.

InsightfulPhoenix March 25th

@stargirl123456, You did an excellent job conveying attention to every detail. You have also not only established each step you have thoroughly thought about each sentence as you wrote it, and it shows. The only thing I would like to add is that you create more engagement by presenting more of what you do within the community, and perhaps a little bit of tone shifting as well. Other than that great job!

babyangel November 17th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Biography:

Hello, I'm Angel! As someone who has navigated the complexities of mental health, I bring a wealth of lived experience to our conversations. Having faced challenges like PTSD, depression, anxiety, and struggles with alcohol abuse, eating disorders, self-harm, panic attacks, and general anxiety, I understand the importance of a compassionate and judgment-free space. I've been an active listener on 7 Cups for three years, supporting individuals in their mental health journey. My commitment to creating a positive impact aligns with the ethos of "7 Cups Community, Global Support," where content is collaboratively created to provide valuable insights. I believe in the power of small steps toward a better world and am here for you whenever you need someone to talk to. Don't hesitate to reach out; your well-being is important to me. 💗💜

EAT Factors Highlighted:

1. Expertise:

• Demonstrated expertise through three years of active listening on 7 Cups.
    • Lived experience in overcoming mental health challenges, showcasing a unique form of expertise.
  2. Authoritativeness:

• Citations include the experience of actively supporting mental health on 7 Cups for an extended period.
    • Collaborative authorship within the "7 Cups Community, Global Support" aligns with the platform's authoritative content.
  3. Trust:

• Trust is established through the quality of content, grounded in personal experiences and a commitment to compassion.
    • Reflects trustworthiness through an open and non-judgmental approach.
  4. Activity:

• Demonstrates ongoing activity and commitment through three years of active listening on 7 Cups.
    • Encourages engagement and messaging even when offline, fostering a sense of continuous support.
HachiBee November 23rd, 2023

@babyangel

Your bio is incredibly open and compassionate. I love how you share your experiences to resonate with the readers, bringing warmth and genuine willingness to help 😄💜

HachiBee November 23rd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the factors discussed above, write a biography for your prospective articles at 7 Cups. Feel welcome to include your real name/pseudonym or first name - anything you are comfortable with being prospectively published!

After you have written the brief paragraph-form biography, point out what parts of the biography highlight each of the EAT factors.

Hachi’s Biography:

Hachi firmly believes in the transformative power of knowledge, and its ability to foster positive changes and meaningful impacts in our lives. Hachi seized every opportunity to learn and grow, drawing inspiration from learning to manage stress and negative thoughts, improving decision-making skills and problem-solving skills.

Since August 2023, Hachi has been an active listener at 7 Cups, experiencing the profound impact of forging compassionate connections. Enrolled in the Content Development and Marketing program, Hachi is dedicated to refining writing and research skills, aiming to craft compelling and valuable resources that resonate deeply with others. Actively engaged in 7 Cups forums, Hachi shares insights that speak to the hearts and minds and fosters a sense of community.

Highlighted EAT Factors:

Expertise:

• As an active listener at 7 Cups, it showcases my expertise in offering compassionate support and forging connections.
  • Enrollment in the Content Development and Marketing program signifies my dedication to honing writing and research.

Authoritativeness:

• While I can’t cite any publication, my commitment to learning and experiences in and mental health support can contribute to growing my authority in that domain.
  • My active engagement within 7 Cups forums can also contribute to establishing authority through shared insights and community involvement.

Trustworthiness:

• My active participation in 7 Cups and intern experience fosters trust through demonstrated involvement in supportive environments.
  • Sharing my insights within forums helps build trust by contributing to a sense of community and connection.

ThoughtLight January 25th

@HachiBee the whole thing is great. It is very alluring to the reader. The only thing I would say to edit is indentation at the beginning of a paragraph. 

enigmaticpanda4152 January 14th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Biography:

Enigmaticpanda4152 has been a verified listener on 7Cups since November 2023. They prioritize self-care and mental health over materialistic pursuits. Renowned for their compassion and empathy, as highlighted in positive reviews from members on their profile, they have earned various badges on 7Cups. These badges signify completion of diverse training and certifications, mentionably; Active listener level 4 certification given for investing more than 100 hours of listening and training, Master badge awarded for completion of active listening course level 2; showcasing their dedication towards learning skills to support people. Currently, they are a trainee in the Content Development and Marketing program, with a commitment on spreading mental health awareness through writing.

EAT review:

Expertise

🔹️ The mention of being a verified listener on 7Cups since November 2023.

🔹️ The description of earning various badges on 7Cups, signifying completion of diverse training and certifications. 

Authority

🔹️ Currently as a trainee in the Content Development and Marketing program.

🔹️ Completion of Active listener level 2 course and earning of Master badge.

🔹️ Active listener level 4 certificate received for investing more than 100 hours of listening and training. 

Trust

🔹️ Positive reviews from members on the profile highlight the trust factor.

🔹️ The completion of diverse training and certifications on 7Cups.

🔹️ The dedication towards learning and supporting mental health concerns.

WeEarth January 16th

@enigmaticpanda4152

Concise and impactful biography. Well done! 🌟

CupcakeCaring February 26th

@enigmaticpanda4152

it looks really great. Wish you all the best for future. 

WeEarth January 16th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I'm Aarshamithra G Devi, a dedicated trained listener at 7 Cups, passionate about fostering positivity and mental well-being. Guided by the philosophy of "वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम् - World is One Family," I bring practical, hands-on experience to provide empathetic support for individuals facing various challenges. While lacking a formal degree, my commitment to understanding and aiding those navigating mental health concerns has grown through active listening.

In the 7 Cups community, I serve as a Verified Listener, trained NAMI listener, Academy Mentor, and member of various support and project teams. As a Smile Spreader, Forum Supporter, and Room Supporter, I thrive in fostering kindness and appreciation. Having completed courses like IDC and active listening, I constantly strive for personal and collective growth.

Every challenge is an opportunity to grow, and I'm here to support you on your unique path. Real success is rooted in our collective efforts, not just worldly achievements. Let's navigate this journey together! 🌟

walkalot January 16th

@WeEarth

Youre really going quickly through this course.

ThoughtLight January 25th

Holden has been an active writer for years and is no stranger to mental health. For nearly 17 years Holden has battled severe mental health and learned some great lessons in skills. Besides formal education is psychology in college Holden has been a verified listener on 7 Cups for quite some time. Handling a broad spectrum of mental health issues. His wall of glowing reviews is a testimony to his knowledge and skills at helping others overcome problems they are facing. Reading Holden’s bio on his listener account shows a strong sense of professionalism and expertise. Reading it lets you see his great philosophies on recovery and a sense that he has a strong will and confidence to provide you the help you need. 

E- active writer, suffers from mental health issues, formal education.

A- mentioning reviews. 

T- mentioning the listener bio and some of its contents.

@ThoughtLight

Awesome use of words, felt like I'm reading a masterpiece from an ancient book 😄

ThoughtLight May 10th

@daydreammemories thank you very much. I appreciated it. I've been cultivated that skill since childhood when I first began writing. 

CupcakeCaring February 26th

@SoulfullyAButterflyHey,

I am Isheni. I’d like to share my journey from the beginning with you all. During my school time I really interested in the field of psychology. It was in my heart all the time. After school I have started my university life. While I am going to university, I got a chance to follow a course related to counselling. It was really hard for me to focus on my job, university studies as well as this new course. But my desire to get into the field made me more powerful. It motivated me to balance everything. Finally, I could come up with a First Class.

After graduating, I got opportunity to become a member of the SLNIPS, which is a association on professional counsellors, in Sri Lanka. Now I have a diploma along with all the qualifications to be a counsellor. But it was not easy for me.

The next challenge was to get practice, by going for a training. But all my days were filled with my job and the lectures. When I was thinking about this, I used to find out whether is there any online platform for me to try this. Then I found 7 cups.

Now I am a listener for around 3 months, and I am verified. Also I got opportunity to get trained as an intern. So I am pretty sure that this is a blessing for me. I am really grateful to have to platform. Because I love help others as much as I can. I am happy with my journey so far.

E – Gained a lot of experience

A – Good Listening skills

T – being a non-judgmental listener

MarwaneB March 5th

@CupcakeCaring

Nice bio!

Good Listening skills would be categorized in the trustworthiness or the expertise section rather than authority. For authority, you can state the fact that you're part of 7Cups, which is well known and has a good name.

CupcakeCaring March 12th

@MarwaneB

thank you 💙

MarwaneB March 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

MarwaneB is a dedicated medical student currently undergoing his internship year, with a particular passion for psychiatry. Despite not yet holding a formal degree, MarwaneB's expertise shines through his extensive involvement as an active listener on the 7 Cups platform for over two years, where he has provided invaluable support to individuals struggling with mental health concerns. His commitment to understanding and addressing these issues underscores his expertise in the field of mental health support, complementing his medical training. MarwaneB's contributions to articles on 7 Cups are a testament to his dedication to enhancing content quality and fostering discovery within the community.

-> Expertise: The status as a medical student undergoing internship demonstrates ongoing education and practical experience in the medical field, particularly in psychiatry. Additionally, the extensive involvement as an active listener on 7 Cups for over two years showcases expertise in providing support for mental health concerns, despite not having a formal degree.

-> Authoritativeness: While not having any citations or publications yet, the active engagement in the mental health support community on 7 Cups establishes as an authoritative figure within this context. The contributions and interactions within this platform contribute to growing authority in the field.

->Trust: reflected in his dedication to providing high-quality support on 7 Cups and commitment to enhancing content quality within the community. Also, the active involvement and passion for psychiatry inspire trust among readers and fellow contributors.

@MarwaneB Based on the factors and tips discussed above, here are some positive and constructive points about @MarwaneB's biography:

- The biography is concise and informative, and it highlights the relevant experience and credentials of the author.

- The biography uses the EAT factors to establish the author's expertise, authority, and trust in the field of mental health support, especially in relation to the 7 Cups platform and community.

- The biography uses a professional and engaging tone, and it showcases the author's passion and dedication for the topic.

Some possible suggestions for improvement are:

- The biography could use some punctuation and capitalization to improve the readability and clarity of the text. For example, the author's name should be capitalized, and there should be a period at the end of the sentence.

- The biography could use some specific examples or details to illustrate the author's involvement and contributions on 7 Cups. For example, the author could mention the number of people they have supported, the topics they have written about, or the feedback they have received from the community.

- The biography could use a personal touch or a call to action to connect with the readers and invite them to read more of the author's work. For example, the author could share a personal story, a quote, or a question related to the topic, or they could direct the readers to their portfolio or profile.

I hope this feedback is helpful and constructive. I think @MarwaneB has written a good biography and I look forward to reading more of their work. 😊

MarwaneB March 6th

@ThoughtsBubbleExpress

Thank you very much for the tips again!

@MarwaneB You're welcome! please keep up the good work! excited-happy.gif

@SoulfullyAButterfly 

Alifa Rahman, She/Her, 7 Cups username: @ThoughtsBubbleExpress, Is a Verified Adult Listener a Gratitude Rain team member with certification in Quality Listening Course, on 7 Cups with a wide and diverse interest range, and has helped 171 people so far, and has completed all the Active Listener, Peer Pro and All the Listener Training Topics on 7 Cups. She initiated her listener journey on 7 Cups on July 2022.

She is an aspiring Clinical Psychologist with a Diploma in Modern Applied Psychology and Certification in Counseling Practitioner and a 7 Cups Academy Trainee.

Apart from being a listener, she co-hosts sharing circles and participates in chat rooms, and also creates forum posts on 7 Cups that are philosophical, focusing upon reflection, human awareness, self development, and deep discussions. Her writing style focuses mostly on validating the experiences, feelings, and emotions of readers on mental health topics.

Expertise: My Expertise is demonstrated by my role as a Verified Adult Listener and Gratitude Rain Team Member on 7 Cups, my certification in the Quality Listening Course, and my educational background in psychology.

Authority: My Authoritativeness is shown through my active participation in 7 Cups as a listener, a co-host of sharing circles, and a contributor to forum posts. Mentioning my writing style also adds to my authoritativeness

Trust: Trust is established with readers by allowing readers to check out my posts and profile on 7 Cups, which provides transparency and allows them to verify my contributions.

sky2Ocean20 March 20th

@ThoughtsBubbleExpress

such a detailed and inspiring biography. 💚 I like that you mentioned your focus topic as well. 

@sky2Ocean20 Thank you Sky! 😊

brightDayFairy March 24th

@ThoughtsBubbleExpress

beautiful bio :) and you have an interesting background :)

@brightDayFairy Thank you! So is yours! 😊

sky2Ocean20 March 20th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Using the factors discussed above, write a biography for your prospective articles at 7 Cups

Ajanta is a verified volunteer active listener at 7 cups. she completed her internship with honors and is actively involved as a forum supporter and room supporter. She contributes her graphic designing skills to make appreciation posts for her fellow volunteer peers and is also a project agent for academy outreach. She is dedicated to exercising her expertise in CBT for the betterment of people and the community.  She is known for being empathetic, compassionate, and non-judgmental. Her listener profile has a 5-star rating and 290+ forum post upvotes. 

EAT factors

Expertise:-

-Graphic designing skills, CBT

Authority:-

-role as a forum supporter, room supporter, Academy outreach PA

Trust

-verified profile

-5 star rating

-forum upvotes

lamimoon March 31st

@sky2Ocean20

Very well written, concise and direct with amazing EAT factors!

@SoulfullyAButterfly

About the Writer:

As a dedicated listener at 7 Cups for over a year, I have experience in providing compassionate support to individuals facing mental health challenges. With a bachelor's degree in psychology, I am equipped with a foundational understanding of mental health principles. Furthermore, I have cultivated my expertise through training and practical application in active listening and coaching. Through my personal mental health blog, I strive to share insights and experiences that resonate with others, fostering a sense of trust and understanding within the community.

EAT Factors Highlighted:

• Expertise: bachelor's in psychology, listener at 7 Cups

• Authoritativeness: mental health blog

• Trust: compassion, empathy, understanding

@brightDayFairy

Ah, I just realized I wrote in first person instead of as "brightDayFairy", but somehow I can't change the post :D

sweetnutella Friday
@brightDayFairy this a comprehensive yet concise, and straightforward biography! You explained your background and expertise without overdoing it. Only relevant facts are mentioned and I really like that. Keep it up!
InsightfulPhoenix March 25th

@SoulfullyAButterfly, here is mine

Terra first started this journey when she was going through some major hardships back in 2022. She stumbled upon this site, and ever since she has been through a glistening stages of development just like a butterfly. She has been a listener for quite some time now, and from being a Listener, she has evolved into a Moderator. Terra is not only a dedicated peer to this community, but also a loving mother, supportive wife, and a full-time worker at a work-from-home job. Terra has handily driven each person she has met here with her resilience, empathy, and wise words. You will always discover Terra trying new things whether it is learning a new skill or finding new ways to help others'. Terra has often been the center of peer appreciation or has others coming to her telling her how insightful she is, and how incredibly strong she is for a person her age. 

Expertise: I involved when I first started and how easily hooked I was to being here from that moment forward and the progression stages.

Authoritative: I mentioned that I do many things from being a mom, and a wife to working from home and still being here each day as a dedicated member of this community.

Trust: I created the trust by placing the fact that I have had many peer appreciations made for me and some of the members have come to me to tell me the positive things they think/ have thought of me.

Bunnylovesyou March 31st

@InsightfulPhoenix

i love this bio!!! It flows so nice, and your last sentence left a smile on my face! 

The only thing is i think others' should be others, im not sure about the grammar, i may be wrong. Grammarly is my lifesaver ❤️

Bunnylovesyou March 26th

Bunny has always had a deep passion for helping others. On his 15th birthday he created his listening account, and soon was a moderator, and a familiar face on the teen side of 7cups. He has faced many hardships in his life, everything from abuse to being trans to anxiety, and he uses this to empathize with others. While he has recently stepped down from most responsibilities on 7cups, to take care of some chronic heath issues, he still enjoys helping. When he isn't on cups he enjoys reading, and playing music. One day he wishes to be a trauma surgeon, along with writing film scores in his free time. 

(i do realize i forgot the eat part, itll be in reply) 

Bunnylovesyou March 26th

I forgot what eat stands for, im hungry 😂😂😂

expertise: I gave examples of my roles on 7cups, as well as my lived experiences

Authority : i talked a bit about the effect on the teens that me being here has had. 

Trust: i showed compassion, while writing in simple language to make me appear compassionate

ik this is bad, ive never been good at writing about me aha. Please feedback is always accepted openly ❤️❤️

lamimoon March 31st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I am Lamimoon, a passionate and inquisitive learner, who believes that life means progress. I have been an active listener since October 2023 in 7 Cups and received verification from 7 Cups community based on my commitment to active listening skills and quality chatting. Also, I have completed over 30 trainings provided from 7 Cups for mental health, including the all Peer Trainings, as this proves that I have knowledge related to mental health field. Ever since I started listening and supporting people, I acquired 5 star reviews and helped over 18 people. I am 7 Cups Internship Graduate and currently enrolled in Quality Listening Program and Content and Development Program. Lastly, from everything I presented above about myself, I want to point out that my biggest motivation is supporting people and our world in any way I can, but my favorite role for helping people is being a listener on 7 Cups. Let's make the world a better place with our little steps towards big future. And, I do not claim to be a great writer but rather a great observer of the world and people.

EXPERTISE: 

- 6 months as a active listener on 7 Cups

- Completed over 30 trainings related to mental health

- 7 Cups Internship Graduate

AUTHORITATIVNESS:

- Helped over 18 people

- Verified listener

TRUST:

- 5 star reviews

FeureVox April 3rd

@lamimoon Your biography is a heartfelt reflection of dedication and a genuine desire to make a difference in the lives of others through active listening and support on 7 Cups.

It captures a journey of personal growth, learning, and meaningful contribution to mental health support. Here are some suggestions for further refinement, incorporating the EAT principles:

For Expertise: Their commitment to self-improvement and mental health support is evident through active participation in 7 Cups since October 2023, completion of over 30 trainings, and the achievement of being a 7 Cups Internship Graduate.

To enhance the display of expertise, consider including any specific areas of focus or interest within mental health that Lamimoon might have delved into more deeply during the training. Highlighting any particular insights gained or how these trainings have influenced Lamimoon's approach to listening and supporting could add depth.

For Authoritativeness: Lamimoon has demonstrated a positive impact by helping over 18 people, which is commendable.

To bolster authoritativeness, mention any feedback or testimonials from those who were helped, if available. Also, elaborating on the verification process by the 7 Cups community and what it involves could further solidify Lamimoon's standing and credibility within the community.

For Trust: The five-star reviews Lamimoon has received are a testament to the trust and rapport built with those they have supported.

To strengthen the trust aspect, Lamimoon could share reflections on what these reviews mean to them personally or how they motivate continued participation and growth on the platform. It's also helpful to note any principles or values that guide Lamimoon’s interactions, enhancing the trust readers and potential listeners might place in them.
================================
Personal Suggestions:
1) You can briefly explain what drew Lamimoon to become an active listener. Any personal growth experienced since joining 7 Cups could give a more relatable and inspiring backstory.

2) Mentioning any aspirations for further involvement within the 7 Cups community or broader mental health advocacy could offer readers a glimpse into Lamimoon’s commitment to ongoing support and development.

3) You modestly claim not to be a great writer but rather a great observer; embracing this unique perspective could be a strength. Describing how observation informs understanding and support could make the biography even more compelling.
================================
Bottomline:
Lamimoon's biography is a powerful narrative of commitment to supporting mental health. With slight enhancements focusing on depth, specificity, and personal insights, it can effectively showcase Lamimoon's expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness, aligning with the EAT methodology and highlighting their significant contributions to the 7 Cups community.

FeureVox April 3rd
@SoulfullyAButterfly 

I, FeureVox, am a spirited advocate for mental health support and a tiny ray of hope and resilience navigated through a tumultuous journey from a challenging childhood and strenuous academic pursuits to a transformative career in IT.

Raised in an abusive environment and later diving into the workforce at the tender age of 17, FeureVox's early life was marked by adversity. This crucible of trials fostered a relentless pursuit of knowledge, leading him to triumphantly complete his Masters in Computer Science amidst financial hardships and personal struggles, including a turbulent marriage that ended in divorce, further intensifying his battle with anxiety and depression.

Discovering 7 Cups in May 2013 as "7cups of Tea" became a turning point, offering a platform to seek support and extend a helping hand to others facing similar battles. Over a decade, FeureVox has cultivated a sanctuary within 7 Cups, channeling his experiences into empathy and understanding for those combating with mental health challenges. His journey underscores a commitment to self-improvement and aiding others, embodying the essence of perseverance and compassion in the digital age.

Expertise: FeureVox's extensive personal experience with mental health challenges, combined with over three years of active participation in the 7 Cups community, demonstrates profound knowledge in offering support and understanding to those in need.

Authoritativeness: While FeureVox may not have traditional academic credentials in psychology, his authority comes from lived experience and the practical wisdom gained through overcoming personal hardships. His forthcoming article, "Gen X to Gen Z and Alpha - Zeal and Triumph," aims to share this valuable insight with a broader audience.

Trust: FeureVox's authenticity and the genuine desire to assist others cultivate trust. His dedication to personal growth and helping others through their darkest times reinforces the quality and sincerity of his contributions to the mental health community.

P.S.
FeureVox's biography reflects a journey of resilience, empathy, and unwavering support for others. His story is a testament to the transformative power of compassion and the enduring strength of the human spirit in facing life's adversities.