Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New Year Accountability Challenge: Boost Your Goal Achievement by 90%

SoulfullyAButterfly January 5th

jan-wellbeing-challenge_1704470404.png

Happy 2024! With everyone wondering if they should set resolutions or figure out a way to make their goals of the year stick, we have designed a challenge that will hopefully help.

7 Cups is launching a wellbeing challenge this month which is based on setting goals and having an accountability buddy to help you stay on track. Members and listeners will be matched together for 4 weekly check-ins. In week 1, the members will share the goal they are focused on and during the following 3 weeks, they can provide their listeners with an update on their progress via weekly check-ins on how they are doing.

Accountability enhances our focus, allowing increased motivation and overcoming of challenges due to the guidance and support it allows. The sense of accomplishment as a result is shared with both people working together, allowing celebration of small and big wins.

Productivity experts claim that if you make a deliberate decision to accomplish a task, there's a 20% chance of success. However, when you communicate your goal to someone, the probability of success rises to 60%, and if you consistently update someone on your progress, the chances increase even more to 90%. 

Research backs brief updates and check-ins, so this challenge is focused on sharing regular updates with each other. It's ok if you don’t meet for live chats (everyone is busy!) and we encourage you to share weekly updates with each other whenever you get some time. It's a space for thoughtful reflection, considered responses, and engagement with insights sharpened by the space between messages.

For this challenge, you can pick one of the following topics to form goals on:

1. Exercise and Fitness

2. Nutrition

3. Social Anxiety

4. Relationships/Family Stress

5. Healthy Habits

Members

The steps to join the challenge are as follows:

1. Pick a topic that stands out to you. Think of the goals you would like to work on and sign up to be connected to a listener here.

2. You will be informed of your assigned listener via PM. During your first week, discuss your goal and why it is meaningful to you. 

3. During the next 3 weeks, check-in with your listener at least once a week to update them on your goal progress. You can check-in whenever you're free, and your listener will respond back to you to cheer you on. 

Listeners

The steps to join the challenge are as follows:

1. Pick the topics you would like to support and sign up to support users here

2. You will be informed of your assignment members via PM. We encourage you to regularly check your chat messages during the next 4 weeks to ensure support for your assigned users. 

3. During your first week, you will get to know your members and the goals/wellbeing themes they would like to work on. With each week, you will support their check-in and progress towards their goals through active listening chats.

This challenge is open to both teens and adults.

Jenna January 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

What a great challenge! I see this as beneficial in many ways.

Jon7Cups January 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly love this idea. Count me in!

cloudySummer January 10th

@Jon7Cups Seems you can read the post... On the app in dark mode, people cannot read a word of what @SoulfullyAButterfly wrote here, except for the list numbers, and thus, not participate.

Maybe tackling that could make a possible goal?

Jon7Cups January 10th

@cloudySummer it happens when the text is copied over from another doc (e.g. drafted in a google doc) or when it has funky formatting. We've been wanting to reduce formatting options so that its better for the app for a while but most folks have said they want to keep the range of colours and editing options. 

cloudySummer January 10th

@Jon7Cups Yes, copy-paste as source makes sense.

Formatting could be stripped on copy-paste, to alleviate this... but that would probably make people unhappy, too.

Perhaps then inverting the color in dark mode would be an option - or not offering a dark mode, if it leads to people being confronted with empty posts. That way, formatting options can be kept.

Most probably do not even know what CSS is, and might think to themselves 'what a weird thing, it's giving me lots of empty posts... let me uninstall it...'.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP January 5th

@oliveOak5708 Healthy habits are things we can do frequently to improve our physical or mental (or overall) wellbeing. Healthy habits can constitute many different topics, so you can define the context where you would like to apply them with your listener. 

GlenM January 5th

I'm in too! Thank you for running this!

Taylorz27 January 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly I really love this as it will be very helpful for everyone 😄

rebeccastgo January 5th

@Taylorz27 So true!

theboymoana January 5th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

i want do this ! but please have listener be really nice not mean because im not smart don’t understand everything and lot times people very mean 😢

@theboymoana

Yesss, everybody gotta be very very nice and not-mean towards each other so we can all do amazing together.💛

Here with you, Nahoa friend.🤗

theboymoana January 7th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

yes ! Very hard do good do new thing someone being mean😢 do not mean make people mad at me when confused 

but news what very good very nice listener for me !! Think be ok try this know person not be mean me 🥲😃💛

@theboymoana

Aw yes, we are all confused with different things at different times and needing some support in helping us understand better is totally okay. 

You deserve nice and understanding people too who are patient with you. 

I'm very proud of you for trying and for learning new things. We got this.💛

@SoulfullyAButterfly

love love ❤️ this 

@ purpleTree4652 check this out !! 

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful

@purpleTree4652

rainyForest24 January 6th

@SoulfullyAButterfly seems interesting

delicateMonkey January 6th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

This sounds fun, I love monthly challenges lol. Just signed up!

CaringSub January 7th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Such a great initiative! Just signed up!

EclecticMuse January 7th

Looking forward to this :)

LoveMyMoonflowers January 7th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

this is so awesome! i’ve just signed up. 💜 tagging some hoomans who may be interested as well (: @darkerplaces @kylersartpace @avyisking @mytwistedsoul @teenmorgan16 💙

@amiablebunny4016 💜

mytwistedsoul January 8th

@LoveMyMoonflowers Thanks for the tag! :) 

@teenmorgan16

awwe, of course morgy buddy. 💙 sending hugs if okay. 

serenePeace3726 January 7th

@SoulfullyAButterfly I love this idea, just signed up as a listener.

sadcat13 January 7th

@SoulfullyAButterfly signed up

AdaptiveHoney January 8th

Sy¿uch a great idea!! 

cyanPlatypus6370 January 11th

I like this idea very much.  I hope it will provide some accountability for me.  So that I not only say oh yes I will do _____, but also actually follow-through and DO the plan.  It might look like self care, or working on communication with my family, or assertiveness and personal growth.  Or it might even be asking for accountability in did I do my assignment from my therapist for this week.  

I'm excited to give this "Wellbeing Accountability" project a chance.  And more so, to have someone to try it alongside me!  <3 Platy 

@SoulfullyAButterfly :)  tags: @anomalia @kristenHR @YourCaringConfidant @InternalAcceptance  @ZooeyBoo @bookshugsandtea6370 

PandaK January 11th

@SoulfullyAButterfly hi there 👋 I’m glad I’ve returned to 7cups for exactly this reason, to find an accountability buddy to help me with my healthy living goals!

Since I didn’t see your post first, I had already posted up my request in 2 sub-communities where I got a reply from a 7cups Listener, @vivi1989. I am waiting for her reply on if we can officially be paired up, but I figured to also leave a note here about my interest and to see if we should still sign up through the Google link.

I look forward to begin working on getting my life straight 🙏🏻

SoulfullyAButterfly OP January 11th

@PandaK that is very exciting news! You can PM me if your chosen listener agrees to pair up and you can also sign up through the forms too. Thank you for sharing here

PandaK January 13th

@SoulfullyAButterfly I’m PM u - thanks!