Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #1: What worries tend to dominate your thoughts?

ASilentObserver April 13th, 2023

Hello everyone and I hope you are all having a bit easier week. How are you all feeling?

I am starting the Prompt Series with the goal can share our thoughts and supporting each other by responding to the comments and thoughts in this thread.

Today's prompt is: What worries tend to dominate your thoughts? How do you try to cope with feeling anxious?

I know how worries can be worrisome and draining for one's well-being. But please know you are not alone and you have all of us here to listen to and support. Take a moment to share your thoughts and discuss with or support others as well.

Also, you can join the Anxiety Group Support Chat every Monday and Tuesday.

are-you-ok-heart.gif

Welkin April 13th, 2023

No

cafedaydreams April 13th, 2023

Worries about my health tend to be the strongest with me.

ASilentObserver OP April 14th, 2023

@cafedaydreams I can understand why health worries would feel concerning. Your health is so important, and it's normal to feel anxious about the unknown. Even though the future can feel uncertain, taking your steps to focus on what you can control may be helpful. Please know we are all here with you to listen and support. you are not alone in this. <3

Torean April 13th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Worries about money. Worries about keeping the wrong people closer than my friends. Worries about the things I've already lost. Worries about hurting people on the inside without meaning to.

I don't know how I cope. I have to keep moving in my thoughts and actions. If I stay in one worry or regret too long, I'm too predictable for it to keep coming at me.

@Torean I understand it can feel overwhelming to have so many worries and concerns weighing on your mind. But focusing on the things you have already lost or might lose will only make the worry feel bigger. Keep taking it one day, one moment at a time. You've got this. We are all here with you to listen to and support.

Raisin977 April 13th, 2023

For me it’s looking at or interacting with people in general. I know it’s strange to be scared to look at people, but when you have particular things that make you seem not human or like normal, it just fills me with anxiety.

whenever I talk to people they don’t make eye contact or look away when talking to me. People always make false assumptions of me because of how I look but not how I am on the inside.

For me it’s always stress inducing interacting in general, because I pre-emptively anticipate what they will do and it is 90% correct.

My method though for me is to breathe and like look at something I really like. Breathing helps collect my thoughts and helps sets my mind straight during a stressful situation, even if it’s only temporary. Just slow deep breaths.

Then I also look at something I really like, like cats. I pull up a quick video and hear those cute meows~

I think my problem is the muscle memory I have from being in those same situations and seeing the same reactions from people so many times. I’ve come to terms with how I am physically, and I don’t really care anymore about how I’m seen because I know who I am. It’s not a “past” problem but the constant muscle memory that affects my present if that makes sense. But I am for sure getting better every day.

@Raisin977 I appreciate you opening up and sharing this vulnerable part of yourself with me. Social anxiety is difficult to deal with, but I'm glad you have found coping strategies that help. Focusing on your breath and the things you enjoy are great ways to find calm in stressful moments. You should be proud of the progress you've made in accepting yourself. Keeep taking your small steps. We are all here with you to listen to and support.

Savi90 April 13th, 2023

Right now all my worries are financial. To cope I journal and ask myself why I am worried and how do I solve it. Sometimes this works sometimes not. I just try my hardest to work as many as hours as possible and try to figure out solutions.

@Savi90 I understand worrying about finances can feel overwhelming. Journaling to gain perspective and finding solutions is a useful approach. Focusing on the strengths and resources you have, as well as maintaining hope, can help ease worries during difficult times. You got this as well as you have all us here to listen to and support. you are not alone in this

Savi90 April 14th, 2023

Thank you!

doeji April 13th, 2023

Health seems to be a big one for me recently. I get a lot of anxiety when something feels a little bit or unwell and it can sometimes be weeks of agony. It's unfortunate that I can't fully afford or trust some medical professionals, and I often resort to google ( which can be a big hit or miss )

I just try to give myself the space to be scared, and the time to relax and ultimately hope for the best.

@doeji I can understand feeling anxious when facing health uncertainties and not being able to fully trust medical care. It's wise that you give yourself space to feel your emotions, while also practicing self-care. Difficult experiences often pass, even if the outcome is not what we had hoped for. I appreciate your strength and resilience. Keep taking your small steps <3

FootballHead93 April 14th, 2023

Same with me lately. I never was like that growing up but it’s like something changed all of a sudden. Had a couple of panic attacks and now every time something feels off or hurts I think I’m dying. It’s like every other day I’m convinced I’m having a heart attack or have cancer or a tumor. It all started like 3 years ago a few months after I had Achilles tendon surgery. Has anyone ever heard of anesthesia causing anxiety!?

Emerbliss April 26th, 2023

@FootballHead93, I don't know about anesthesia causing anxiety. However I do understand and connect to one part. Its a struggle to remind myself we are not having an attack during a panick attack

Dallady April 13th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

What worries tend to dominate your thoughts?

I'm not good enough.

I can't do this/that/anything.

Life is too hard.

I've become too old to succeed.

My flaws are too much.

It's too late to change.

What will they think or say or do?

I'll destroy my reputation.

Nobody loves me.

There's too much to cope with.

Why is no one or nothing helping?

No matter where I go there I am.

How do you try to cope with feeling anxious?

Fight against it

Eat chocolate until I am chocolate

Watch YouTube shorts

Play games on my phone

Slam my door over and over

Beat the crap out of my bed

Yell to release the energy

Swear like a sailor in a storm

Eat ice cream

Tell my body it's the death of me

Cultivate 'resting gargoyle face'

Try help others

Stress out; wallow in despair

Call a helpline

Journal

Reframe

Declutter

Budget

Learn more about something

Get curious instead of cuckoo

Watch YouTube videos

Movie night with snacks

Do a meditation

Skincare

Oral hygiene

Change my clothes

Improve/practice listening skills

Engage in a hobby or interest

Write in my gratitude journal

Enjoy being alone

Study my DBT or other workbook

Reach out to an old friend

Run from it - busy work

Regret what I compulsively do/did

Burn sage

Play guitar and sing

Vacuum like a person possessed

Glare at a stain on the rug

Wonder what matters

Lose my ***

Spiral into a blame-shame cycle

Plot a way to ban enriched flour

Consider becoming a dictator

Realize my attention span is gone

Get distracted without remorse

Guzzle water

Fill my fridge with healthy food

Likewise pantry

Go crazy; buy paper towel

Be sane; buy toilet paper

Try remember there's no end

Tidy my home

Forgive those with terrible jokes

Likewise terrible style

See others as capable, interesting

Examine my motives

Write

Join a support group

Try something new

Eat chocolate ice cream

Sleep as much as I want

Spend an extra hour in the shower

Choose either being right or happy

Hang up the phone on myself

Cook or bake something

Hijack my peace hijacker

Tell myself 'this too will pass'

Forget 'this too will pass'. Spaz out

Pull cards

Go find a cool tree. Visit it often.

Have some houseplants

List goals

People watch at a cafe

Hunt for a good book

Read a book in a cafe

RAOK

Take things with a grain of salt

Switch from table salt to pink salt

Get too salty

Try a new hair cut, style or colour

Trim nails once they reach talons

Donate something

Just take a whole day off

Plan a vacation or getaway

Eat chocolate with ice cream

Accept or allow help

Set and reinforce boundaries

Listen to a podcast

Take a chance

@Dallady I understand those worries and anxieties can feel overwhelming. Please know that you are not alone, and there is always hope and support. Remember your strengths and accomplishments; you have overcome so much already.

It sounds like you have many strategies to help care for yourself during these times, which is wonderful. Focusing on self-care, maintaining boundaries, and doing small acts of kindness for others are all great ways to redirect anxious energy into something positive. Keep exploring what works for you - you've got this!

Frixndlyghost3708 April 14th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I feel like the thing that worries me the most is not being able to help support my family, I don't have a job or anything but I try my best to keep the house clean and babysit occasionally to get some extra money but I just try not to think about that kind of thing to often and look at the positives in life! If I get to the point where I'm feeling super anxious I like to listen to music or go on a walk every now and then <3

@Adoringpanda3708 I understand. It's wonderful that you find ways to stay positive despite challenging circumstances. Focusing on the good things in life and maintaining hope will help you through this.

purpleTree4652 April 14th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Hi, ASO,

How do you try to cope with feeling anxious?

1. worries that tend to dominate have to do with driving to alabama with my elderly cat and my car breaking down. I also worry about finding the money to go to school.

2. I think about the worst case scenario and prepare myself for it.

@purpleTree4652 I can understand why worries about transportation issues and finances would cause you so much distress and anxiety. Those are very valid concerns, but dwelling on worst-case scenarios can be overwhelming.

Maybe you can try picturing what you want to go right. Maybe seeing yourself arriving in Alabama safely with your cat happily purring by your side. Or, succeeding in your education and achieving your goals. Do you think something like this where you focus on the positive is helpful?

Please know we are all here with you to listen to and support. You got this <3

purpleTree4652 April 14th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I do picture the positive on occasion.

But I read something recently that said to write down what worries me. Then imagine the worst case scenario and work out how you would handle it. It has helped me a lot. For instance, I looked at the route I will drive to my new address and saw that there are plenty of car rental places along the route. So I know that if my car breaks down, I can simply rent a car and continue driving to my new address. Then I can deal with my broken down car later. My car has repeated major issues, so planning what to do while driving with my elderly cat, and all my important worldly posessions, while staying ahead of the movers in their truck is very important.

I recently took my car to get serviced and have it in the best shape possible, to my knowledge.

Lastly, I checked with the new apartment and the movers to see what would happen if my car broke down on the way, and I was delayed by as much as one day.

All this helped me work out what could go wrong and what I needed to do to stay on schedule. I credit myself with forethought and preparation. As far as I know and am able, I'm prepared. Since I have no one I can call to help me, I've done well with my plans.

All that being said, I will practice picturing my plans working out. :)

ASilentObserver OP April 19th, 2023

@purpleTree4652 I can understand the anxiety and worry that comes with such a big move. You have done an amazing job planning ahead and preparing for any challenges that may arise. Focusing on the positive outcome and visualizing your move going smoothly is so helpful. You should feel proud of yourself for being so thoughtful and resourceful. I have faith that all your preparation and planning will pay off. What inner strength allows you to face what worries you? How do you nurture that part of yourself?

purpleTree4652 April 19th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

What inner strength allows you to face what worries you? How do you nurture that part of yourself?

When I am stressed, my mind sometimes wanders to wanting to drink alcohol because I'm an alcoholic. But I have learned to tell myself over the years that I want to rely on my inner strength, and not alcohol, to deal with stress or happiness. I also tell myself to take my psychiatric meds because they make me feel better.

miraculousSnow1503 April 14th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Job stability mostly, as I am temping at the moment and have not found anything permanent.

I tend to try and stay active so even though I am worrying I am still doing stuff like exercising or cleaning. If I'm not careful I can end up sitting at the table in the afternoon in my pyjamas getting lost in the inter-webs. When I do that I set time limits and do something simple even if it is in my pyjamas.

@miraculousSnow1503 I understand feeling unsettled with temporary work and longing for stability. It sounds like you have some healthy coping strategies, like staying active through exercise or chores. Setting limits for distraction is also helpful. I appreciate you for taking care of yourself during this challenging time.

getbetterok April 14th, 2023

no

FootballHead93 April 14th, 2023

Health issues as well. I was never like that growing up but the last few years I have bad anxiety. Seems like every little thing makes me think I’m having a heart attack or have cancer or something. Seems like it all started shortly after I had achilles surgery. It makes it hard to do anything sometimes. Has anyone ever heard of anesthesia causing anxiety!?

@FootballHead93 I can understand feeling anxious and worried after a medical procedure or health issue. Our minds and bodies can react in unexpected ways, and it's understandable these experiences may have triggered feelings of anxiety for you. Many people experience increased anxiety after surgery or an injury. Please know that you are not alone. We are all here with you to listen to and support.

What calms your anxiety and brings you peace?

FootballHead93 April 27th, 2023

Idk lol. It seems like it comes and goes in bundles. Like one week I’ll feel pretty good and the next I could have 3 bad days in a row. Luckily this week has been a good one! It just seems like my whole mindset changed out of nowhere and started causing anxiety. Like I said I made it 26 years or so without ever feeling this way. Naps seem to help sometimes lol.

theboymoana April 18th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

what does it mean dominate your thoughts ?

@theboymoana Moana, it means the thoughts that tend to repeat and persist.

LonleyCheese April 19th, 2023

I tend to worry a lot about my person's wellbeing. Also, when I'm in a stressful situation like a party, I often feel like there's going to be an earthquake and I have to stand very still for a moment to make sure the ground isn't shaking. At night, I often feel like there's going to be someone or something in my house and I have a specific routine for getting downstairs. I just need to remind myself of facts that the creatures don't exist, and the chances of horrible things are very small, so I'm going to be okay. Another thing is I remind myself is that I can't control everything, so I shouldn't worry about it as much.

ASilentObserver OP May 21st, 2023

@LonleyCheese Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It can be difficult dealing with worries and anxieties, especially when they impact daily life. Your coping strategies and reminders of facts show strength and resilience.

VaryingCloud April 28th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I remember saying this in front of someone once, “When will I stop worrying?” to which they responded, “We humans will never stop worrying, this is how we’re programmed.”

This proved to be a great reminder for me. It actually made me look at the situation with an entirely different perspective. Instead of focusing on not worrying and draining myself out trying to achieve the unachievable, I started channelizing the efforts in trying to find out what I can do about those worries. Do anything but nothing. The moment we get this mindset, we start feeling in control of the situation.

We all need such reminders from time to time to put us back on track. Thank you DD @DonaldDraper for that wonderful reminder. ❤️ : )

@VaryingCloud I hear the reminder helped shift your perspective into focusing your energy on what you can do rather than dwelling on not being able to stop worrying. Finding ways to feel more in control during difficult times can be empowering. How does that perspective impact how you view the current situation?

VaryingCloud May 21st, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I still worry.. with a bit more awareness and acceptance of that state of mind maybe which helps take the necessary action with more ease.

ASilentObserver OP May 22nd, 2023

@VaryingCloud I'm glad you were able to find some awareness and acceptance within yourself.

pinkteacup2002 April 30th, 2023

1. The terrible thought that my body might fail on itself despite eating healthy and doing tons of exercise. What did I do wrong? How can I heal myself quicker so that I can be someone to depend on?

I used to work alongside with my dad to provide for the family, but now I'm forced to take it slow. I've lost weight for starving myself because of my low appetite, so now I'm trying to eat like normal again. I guess that was just a new physical reaction as a symptom of anxiety. I don't want to be a burden on my parents, but I also don't want to burn myself out so fast.

How do you cope with feeling anxious?

1. Splashing cold water on my face everytime I feel even just a slightest bit of tension on my muscles.

2. Playing video games. It doesn't have to be a specific one, but one of the best ones that give me enough distraction are Mario games or Among us. I feel less alone if it's on multiplayer!

3. Eating something sweet, like vanilla ice cream!

4. Going for a walk at the park with my siblings.

5. Journaling. It beats venting on social media, that never made me feel any better. Also it's more freeing to write whatever you want without any judgement! You also get more creative with your pages!

These are just some of the things that have personally helped me ground myself!

@pinkteacup2002 I hear this health issue has caused you a great deal of worry and stress. Taking care of yourself and your family is important to you. Focusing on small steps to improve your health and coping strategies like journaling and spending time with loved ones seems wise. What aspects of journaling have you found most helpful during times of anxiety?

BorahaeAndHappiness May 3rd, 2023

I saw a few people mention health anxiety and that's been a big source of worry and fear recently for me. My family has a lot of serious health concerns going on right now. So my anxiety is really flaring up.

Money and finances are also a huge source of panic for me. This stems from my cptsd. I'm trying to work through it though