Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

7 Cups Academy: Building Community Program (No Longer Available)

Hope January 13th, 2021

This Program is no longer available. Please choose another one here!

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. As you know we recently launched the 7 Cups Academy. I am excited to announce a new addition to the academy!

Introducing the Building Community Program

The course familiarizes the trainees with the basic knowledge in creating and growing online communities and enrollees practice their knowledge by supporting sub-communities of their choices, getting training in the topics they chose to support. A big part of the course is based on the teachings of the book ‘Get Together: How to Build a Community with Your People.

Requirements to Join

Be a listener/Member

Explorer Badge

Find more information about how to get the badge here! The process takes less than 10 mins!

Program Duration

6- 12 weeks

You can choose the duration as long as it falls under the above-given options.

Two Week Trial

For the first two weeks, you will be on a trial. You will be given some tasks that will help you identify if this course is the right fit for you. It will also help you choose your sub-community focus later on.

Course Load

We expect the course to take around 4 hours of time each week. You can expect to do some theoretical work (such as trainings) and a lot of practical work (taking part in sub-communities)

You will be doing at least 3 hours of forum work each week. This will be measured by forum posts where each forum posts = 10 mins. So you are expected to make at least 18 forum posts each week. These posts will be made in any sub-communitiy at first and then in your chosen two sub-communities.

Certification

Like all of our academy courses, upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a certificate and a badge. Graduates will also be eligible to request a letter of recommendation.

Onboarding Info

We will onboard new trainees each week Monday. The first batch will be onboarded on Jan 18, 2021.

Please apply 3 days before the start date you prefer. The start date will always be a Monday.

Please fill the application accurately (wrong start dates, usernames, or emails will result in rejection)

enlightenedNot sure if you have the time to commit/wondering what the course load is like? You can view our requirements list

mailOpen Application Here

- Requirements updated on Feb 11 2021 - Hope

generouswings January 31st, 2021

@Hope That's wonderful! I'm looking forward to the same after I'm done with my final exams. This is indeed a very good initiative and an apportunity for me to prove myself. Thanks! :)

11820Read January 13th, 2021

@Hope

Hello, I've read both the introduction you posted just now and the application form, and would like to clarify some points.

1) What would be the difference between the number of weeks we choose? Do people who enroll in more weeks get more theoretical materials for instance?

2) Could you please clarify what it means to "support a sub-community"? Like becoming a moderator in a chat, posting ice-breaking threads, or...?

3) In relation with the 2nd question, how many minutes/hours would we need to dedicate for supporting the subcommunity?

4) The application form mentions "member group chats". Does this refer to the chat that requires like 5 badges to unlock? Or does this refer to something else?

5) I consider it fair and reasonable that those who drop out will not receive any certificate and badge. However, I wonder if they will receive a penalty, such as a behaviour point. Could you please explain?

Many thanks in advance.

Hope OP January 13th, 2021

@11820Read

1) No, the number of weeks you choose depends on how much experience you want as the weeks will show on your certificate. Some people prefer to do more in a short time while others want more time

2) You will be primarily making forum posts within the sub-community you choose (I have updated the original post to indicate some more information on the forum work). You will not be required to become a leader.

3) At least 4 hours each week. If you do more, they will show on the certificate.

4) Member group chats are the chats you do in any member support room (like support room or member community room). You do need some badges to access the rooms. You can find the list here.

5) You will not!

I hope this answers your questions.

11820Read January 13th, 2021

@Hope

Thank you so much!

DistortionHeart January 21st, 2021

can someone help me understand this?

AffyAvo January 24th, 2021

@DistortionHeart There are a number of training courses that 7cups is offering. It started with the community building course, a post about that is here https://www.7cups.com/forum/LeadershipDevelopmentProgram_202/Course5CommunityBuildingCourseChallenge_2072/GetTogetherLearningMarathon_221752/1/

Things have since expanded, there is now the '7 Cups Academy'. There are different training courses which I think all have training and practical aspects. The one mentioned in this thread include the course I linked to as a basis for it's learning component plus a fairly high level of participation in subcommunities as it's practical component.

Hopefully that gives a good general overview, if you have more specific questions please ask!

incredibleBubbles6110 September 19th, 2021

No, the number of weeks you choose depends on how much experience you want as the weeks will show on your certificate. Some people prefer to do more in a short time while others want more time

2) You will be primarily making forum posts within the sub-community you choose (I have updated the original post to indicate some more information on the forum work). You will not be required to become a leader.

3) At least 4 hours each week. If you do more, they will show on the certificate.

4) Member group chats are the chats you do in any member support room (like support room or member community room). You do need some badges to access the rooms. You can

@incredibleBubbles6110

AffyAvo January 21st, 2021

I'm a bit confused as to what the content of this is. From a learning standpoint, besides the community building course ie. Course 5 of the LDP and is already involved with a subcommunity learn much from this?

Or is it geared moreso towards someone who wants to be more involved with the subcommunities here but hasn't really done so yet and also wants that community building course to go with it?

Hope OP January 21st, 2021

Hi @AffyAvo

Community Building Course is a part of this program as it familiarizes the users with the foundational principles and knowledge needed to support their community. LDP also has that course because it makes sense for the curriculum. As for this program, we have a theoretical and practical component. The theory involves the Community Building Course, training guides etc and then the trainees practice what they learned by participating in their chosen sub-communities. The course is aimed at those who want to learn how online communities work. Our sub-communities are their own communities within 7 Cups so it's a good place to practice.

Our existing leaders can learn from the course as it challenges them to be more deliberate and consistent with their efforts and to experiment with different ideas. Additionally, they get certification and a badge for their efforts. The course is structured in a way that even if you are new to sub-communities, you can still catch up. It is ideal for anyone who is interested in becoming a sub-community leader but needs more experience.

As with any program/project, we expect to make updates as per the feedback and experience of our trainees. Thank you for your interest.

AffyAvo January 24th, 2021

@Hope Thanks for the information! HOpefully this helps people decide if they want to participate or not and if so, when the appropriate time is for them!

NiiLoba April 4th, 2021

Hello how can I apply?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 5th, 2021

@NiiLoba

Hey , so great to know you wish to apply ! The application form is mentioned in blue colour, it's a hyperlink .

Or you can also apply for the program HERE ( click here ) . Best wishes 🧡

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

pamharley003 January 24th, 2021

@Hope

I believe I applied already.

Hope OP January 24th, 2021

That is exciting @pamharley003 but we have not received an application from you.

pamharley003 January 24th, 2021

@Hope

will fill it out now

@pamharley003

@pamharley003

amiablePeace77 February 1st, 2021

@Hope

I applied but did not get any confirmation so far. Can you pls check, maybe there was an issue with internet?

Hope OP February 2nd, 2021

Hi @amiablePeace77, we have not received an application from you. Please submit the application again

@Hope

crestfallen1601 February 3rd, 2021

@Hope I have a doubt. Should I have to pay money inorder join ????

Hope OP February 3rd, 2021

@crestfallen1601

No, it is 100% free!

crestfallen1601 February 3rd, 2021

Ok Thank youu❤

Charlotteli February 21st, 2021

You're on.

mvpeng March 16th, 2021

This is a great opportunity! I am trying to get my mental health and suicide prevention organization that to be more engaged online, would this course be helpful in learning related skills?

Listeningsarinn March 16th, 2021

@mvpeng

hey there! Huge Good luck with your online communities, mental health and suicide preventation are rewarding things to work on ^^ i think that it definietly will, as a big part of the program is a course on building and growing your own community, and the other parts of it are focused on communication and getting more involved in seven cups sub-communities both in room environment with real time connections and in forums❤️

mvpeng March 16th, 2021

Do we just have to be more involved in the sun-communities during this program? I don’t know if I can commit to that long term.

Listeningsarinn March 16th, 2021

@mvpeng

you will need to complete weekly requirements on forums (18 posts a week) and also will need to earn the sparkler badge by the end of the course (which can be earned by completing 20 group support chats- each 25 messages sent in a group are considered as one group support chat)

you'll also have to complete the boundaries training and two more topic trainings from training and certifications page and finish the building community course that i mentioned above

meeting these requirements will take around 4 hours a week ❤️

@Listeningsarinn

cloudySummer March 28th, 2021

I think the title of the announcement is rather unfairly phrased as 'last chance', given that these courses start in regular intervals. Why was this done? 7cups is not some sort of place with artificial marketing pressure. I find that immoral.

Hope OP March 28th, 2021

@cloudySummer

Hi! The alert meant last chance to sign up for the program if you want to start the coming Monday. You are right, the course is open on a weekly onboarding basis. Sorry for the confusion!

@Hope

KatePersephone March 29th, 2021

@Hope

i have some questions..

1. will you be sending us emails with deadlines for when to finish each course, like in the LDP? together with a form to fill like there, or not?

2. can we start the course immediately after we are accepted or do we need to wait to be told when to begin?

Hope OP April 3rd, 2021

@KateDoskocilova

1. Yes

2. Your acceptance emails let you know when to start (it is sent 1-2 days before the start date)

KellyHwang April 19th, 2021

@Hope Great heart I'm looking forward to it

Beachcutie37 April 27th, 2021

I have signed up and I'm very excited about this academy program and I'm glad I took the next step in everything I am focusing on graduating and working more towards more goals along the way.

rrretsuko May 4th, 2021

@Hope just applied ! <3 thank you so much for the opportunity c:

xoxo01 May 12th, 2021

Hello