Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 5: Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this doc

✒️ Please list some advantages of a diverse team.

✒️ How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

❗❗After posting, please...

1. Please complete course 3 quiz before moving to the next course.

2. Proceed to Course 4!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

January 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Some advantages of a diverse team are that we are able to cover all time zones and therefore have support 24/7. Another advantage is that a diverse team can increase the productivity with a wider range of skills to help the development of growth of the team. The more diverse the team, the greater the ideas and feedback responses to make things better!

We can be respecteful of different cultures by being mindful of different time zones and understanding that not everyone will be able to chat with what works for you. As well as this, english may be the second language for some listeners, hence using similar words and forgiving the tone of a message will help build a stronger respected relationship between team members.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

I will do, when someone arrives!

CallumCares421 January 20th, 2023

@LlamaLizz

Amazing answers :D

purplelady568 January 26th, 2023

@LlamaLizz excellent reply. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

FrenchMarbles March 15th, 2023

One of the most significant advantages of having a diverse team is the different perspectives and cultures we input into this. By having a team with different cultures, I've learnt a lot about what can be done to improve my leadership and how we can move the team forward

Being mindful when we're grading tests to ensure that it is accessible to all; it might be that they are disabled or that they are struggling with English; they shouldn't be punished if they are almost there but not entirely. It's just an opportunity for discussion to learn how to make it more accessible for everyone.

vivelespatates March 17th, 2023

Advantages of a diverse team:

The cultural diversity of my team is a big asset for my team. it allows to organise activities and discussions that are more inclusive, cover more time zones, teach me about a lot of diverse things I may not think about otherwise. It helps me to better understand the needs of the community and members. Being more mindful of those differences of values, beliefs and traditions. It also helps me to know what topics avoiding when i am supporting members and don't know what culture they are from.

We can be respectful of different cultures by being flexible on schedules for meetings or organize in more than one time zone, or opt for more of checkin and update in pm if no time fit all. Respect breaks for holidays that are not necessary present here, or even encourage them to lead something about it so they have opportunities if they wish to let community know about it. Not assuming they have the same resources or laws in their place than here. And avoid all the generalizations and stereotypes because we never know if someone in our team, our rooms or forums may be hurt by those. Being careful on the way we ask informations to LEARN about it (and not for judge) so they dont feel a judgement when there is not. i think we all want learn more and know them, but when we are near of sterotypes its important to be careful when bringing those topics so its an advantage for all parts :)

As non native speaker, i struggled with videos of this course, its also something 7cups should be more mindful about, maybe by choosing the videos with good subtitles instead just the automatic ones?

March 27th, 2023

@vivelespatates

Well said about the last part. We need subtitles in easy-to-understand English for non-native speakers

Countrygirl095 February 20th

@FrenchMarbles Great job French I love this

sunnySea4551 January 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Please list some advantages of a diverse team.

to get to know other people

try to be understanding of others

CallumCares421 January 20th, 2023

@sunnySea4551

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, by working together, we can fill others weaknesses with strenghts... and vise versa.

Remember time zones :O not everywhere in the world its 8 am now

@CallumCares421 yes, remembering differing time zones is a great point. When I am doing a chat, I try to ask what time it is where they are, or at least what time of day it is there, so that I can be aware of time differences!

kindJewel5362 February 8th, 2023

@CallumCares421

Being mindful of time zones is right.

BenittaJ February 18th, 2023

@CallumCares421

Lol not everywhere in the world is 8 pm now. Got me giggling.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 22nd, 2023

@sunnySea4551

weel said and good luck with ldp.

@FrenchToastClub

Advantages of a diverse team include different backgrounds, diverse perspectives and innovative ideas, and having a greater reach to influence others.

Being respectful includes abandoning stereotypes, being aware of those who do not speak English as a first language, and valuing people's time, remembering that we may live in different time zones and have varying schedules.

I think one example of how 7cups does well with this, is with listener tests and other google forms. They do not expect perfect grammar, spelling, or punctuation. This can be especially difficult for those who are ELL, ESL, have vision impairments, technology gaps, or other issues that prevent them from typing well. I would love to see forms that are created for other major languages, such as Mandarian, French and Spanish, or that can be easily translated.

NanditaB January 31st, 2023

@purplelady568 Awesome answers!

wonderousLove3994 March 12th

@purplelady568 interesting

Cynthialy July 10th

@purplelady568 totally agree

NanditaB January 31st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

The following are some advantages of a diverse team. It helps in innovation, Helps to help others from different countries and cultures, allows us to support people living in different timezones, helps us to learn more about different cultures and practices, fuels creativity and productivity.

Do not be stereotype, should respect others beliefs, Considering and Wishing others for their festivals, and consider the differences in time zones.

jasishereforallofu February 17th, 2023

@NanditaB great answer 😊

kindJewel5362 February 8th, 2023

More perspectives means more input when problem solving which ultimately leads to more creative, efficient and better ideas.

Instead of jumping to conclusions, we can be more empathetic that folks may be coming in from different perspectives and communication styles.

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

@kindJewel5362 I agree with you. Sometimes we are quick to judge others because they think or believe differently than us... not taking in account that they grew up totally different than us and have a different way of life which is why they think they way they do. They have different experiences and we should always be accepting of everyone's differences. Diversity is a beautiful thing.

starryCandy6123 December 9th, 2023

@kindJewel5362 

I agree kind, we may be from different countries and languages, but we need to support each other, in the way we approach and show love to others

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

Advantages of a diverse team include: reaching more people outside of our country, being able to support people in all time zones, learning about different cultures you did not know about, and more. There is truly beauty in a diverse team! <3

How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

We can be respectful of others' culture by being open-minded and avoiding stereotypes. We should be respectful of the beliefs and views of others just because we may think something else. I may not agree with someone's but I will always respect them because I regard human life. Diversity is a beautiful thing and there is so much to learn if we keep an open mind!

BenittaJ February 15th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

Yes open mindedness. This world needs more of them .

BenittaJ February 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Different cultures, different languages, different time zones, different puzzle pieces join together - makes it complete, we unite by 7cups seeking for care n support. The main advantage of Diverse team is maintaining the boat from rocking.

Every person is different, every culture is different from each other. By keeping in mind that we come to 7cups to seek care and support not to judge other's culture.

iPHOENIX February 26th, 2023

@BenittaJ really nice answer 😊

patientShell1003 July 13th

Good

jasishereforallofu February 17th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub ✒️ Please list some advantages of a diverse team.

Being supportive 24/7 which is great because there are different time zones. Also different point of views and solving issues.

Listen to their stories and experiences, without being judgmental. Ask questions and take a interest in what it means to be from another culture.

JasmineFlower222 February 21st, 2023

@jasmineishereforu cool answer 😛

JasmineFlower222 February 21st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

It allows a team to reach more people who have similar cultures and time zones, and it also allows for a wider range of skills for the whole team

To not give in to the stereotypes, being respectful of everyone's beliefs, being mindful of availability and time zones.

iPHOENIX February 26th, 2023

• Different perspective can lead innovation

• Allow us to reach whole world not just our country/culture

• Get to learn different cultures and practices which adds to our set of skills.

As a listener I believe we always have an open and non-judgemental mindset and we should bring that skill to be a leadership role or a team member. So we can always learn from other country/culture. Also be respectful to others even though it's something we don't agree.

Again consider others timezone, it can be their night time when we are available to talk so always give time for them to replay and consider them also making a meeting or something. As the time zone, another thing is the language. I do believe the language is to communicate so being fluent in English is good but not necessary, so always consider them and give them proper time to express their thoughts and help them if there is any problem like their tone of their message.

EnigmaticCat24 March 2nd, 2023

@iPHOENIX

Amazing answers! I love the way you think 😃

iPHOENIX March 2nd, 2023

@Tobedoctor Thank you for the nice words. You do have a good perspective too. Keep up the good work, all the best for your course.

EnigmaticCat24 March 2nd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Different perspectives can drive innovation, allow us to help more people outside our country, allow us to people in different time zones, Give opportunity to learn about different cultures

Respect different beliefs and cultures by being open minded. Wish them in different festival days they have. Consider time zones

Trintzu March 8th, 2023

@Tobedoctor Well done Doctor! ❤️

Trintzu March 8th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I am working outside of 7 Cups as well in a diverse (or as we call a dedicated team). The main advantages are learning different cultures (and respecting these); having work shifts always cover different time zones and for example national holidays; wider ranger skills

Just treat other people the way you want to be treated. Thats it.

FrenchMarbles March 15th, 2023

@Trintzu I agree, great answer!

vivelespatates March 17th, 2023

@Trintzu I sure agree with you! Treating others the way you want to be treated is the best thing to do all the time. but also be aware that some may not want the same as us sometimes :p

JoyHappyNess March 24th, 2023

@Trintzu

Treating people the way you want to be treated is a simple but a critical rule to follow

FeureVox March 17th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

The advantages of a diverse team would have a mixed culture, language, and certainly different time zone availability, coming from various fields of life, professionals, and age.

Respect is acquired through our behavior and traits with others. Although, we must know that different cultures have different do's and dont's. We must have an open heart with our team members while sharing with them what is right and what is not. By learning from each team member, we could deal with other members.