Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cast your vote ! Saving messages in chats & rooms!

Laura December 12th, 2017

Hello Community,

I am here to ask for your feedback on an important topic: messages saved in every 1-1 chat. Many of you have long asked for more saved messages in your conversations and up till now, we have saved only the previous 10 messages in every conversation. This was for anonymity and storage reasons.

However, we are moving over to a new tool that will allow us to store and retrieve messages much more efficiently. As it can be frustrating to lose messages, this tool will allow us to do that. Hooray! Instead of saving messages by count, we will be able to save them by time.

Note: You would still be able to clear the chat log at any time.

This would also allow us the ability to increase the amount of time group support messages are saved.

So here is what we need to know from you! How long would you like to see your messages in a chat or group support to save for before they are automatically deleted?

Please vote on this idea here!

PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTE BY MONDAY, DECEMBER 18th

TortillaSunrise December 16th, 2017

Could be useful, I think it would be great to be able to save messages.

AbigailM83 December 16th, 2017

I think that the member/guest should be able to decide if their chat could be saved by the listener only. So, assure the member that it is only for their listener to see and reflect on when for they reconnect. Great idea, hope we can make some good progress!

secretJackfruit7475 December 16th, 2017

Is there a poll where we are casting our votes on this issue? I'm certainly not seeing it.. or am I missing something?

NowisRebirth December 16th, 2017

I would really prefer it of the chats doesn't disappear after a while, i really like to check up on people and see if they made progress and if i helped

turquoiseLion745 December 16th, 2017

I agree - I also want to keep the chats saved

bunnypants December 16th, 2017

@Laura hey so you know i love this site and you and krinkypoo and kate but let me just say i am $&(*ing thrilled that this feature has already been implemented before the vote is even over :\

Pandakiss December 16th, 2017

I agree; it should be to the discretion of the member. If he/she decides to delete the chat then they can. No one else should have control over it nor should it get deleted automatically. Although I feel the members should be informed about this so they are aware when they start the chat. This would give them more of an open space and liberty to discuss their thoughts more freely.

Coolmaverick December 16th, 2017

It should be members decision..automatically deleting.. isn't good...as sometimes...a member and listener get to have a good connection.. and member may wish to reconnect whenever he/she needs in future... saving chats would help ..but give deleting chats right to members

WhiteTulip11 December 16th, 2017

Delete everything

WhatsBugginYa December 16th, 2017

I agree with those who feel that deleting should be in the control of members.

If messages were to auto-delete, members should at least be able to star certain important messages so that they'd be saved indefinitely (until deleted by choice).

goodGrapefruit1822 December 16th, 2017

I really don

Compassion21 December 16th, 2017

Idk if the vote was made but i think memebers should be able to choose to delete chats

HappyLifeOldSoul December 17th, 2017

@Laura, Chat delete should be in user's control.

Recalibrate December 17th, 2017

I think this would be a great tool for an advanced listener that's proven they have the best intentions at heart. I would propose that novice listeners could take notes and progress without having all the chat history at thier disposal handed to them. The realitiy of it is anyone can copy the chats, screenshot or find a way to save what they want from the conversation now albeit a hassle. Now say a listener has a good rating or there are certain checkmarks in place then that would show some initiative that they aren't going to use anything maliciously or happhazerdly without some experience. It could also give new listerns some motivation to improve on thier listening skills as a perk.

WishfulThinking008 December 17th, 2017

I think they should only be able to be saved/deleted from one side

straightforwardShade7829 December 18th, 2017

@WishfulThinking008 Hello.

WishfulThinking008 December 19th, 2017

@straightforwardShade7829

Hello... Do I know you?

inventiveThinker3104 December 17th, 2017

The last 6 months, at least 😂😂

charmingBeauty55 December 17th, 2017

I think last one week is fine... I will go with one week

BetterHalf December 17th, 2017

@charmingBeauty55

some venters chat and appear after weeks.
I think instead of limiting it by a time period, limit it to the number of messages that can be saved. say 1000/2000 messages. or something like it.
if the privacy of the venter is at stake that if someone might get a hang of their account, save the chat only on the listener's side because that's mainly our issue cause we talk to many venters and it's hard to remember who said what.

charmingBeauty55 December 21st, 2017

Agreed@BetterHalf

Ryanx December 17th, 2017

I vote that you're able to save them. How ever long you want to. I regret not seeing an earlier chat I had last year with someone

resourcefulbear6750 December 17th, 2017

I vote that you're able to save them for at least a week.

MarvoliartyListens December 17th, 2017

Not really a fan of the idea, but if they are a user with an account, maybe there should be some kind of notes section where we can summarize what we discussed last

December 17th, 2017

I really dont know what you are talking about . I'm not intersted in any thing .

selfconfidentMango5183 December 17th, 2017

write

selfconfidentMango5183 December 17th, 2017

write

That's would be helpful if we could keep the conversation, like in other social media apps.
sometimes a member comes back after a while, and I can't even remember what we talked about previously and it doesn't feel right to ask them to share that stuff again just so I can recall it.
Yes, this feature is a must. :)

warmheartedSpring1216 December 18th, 2017

@BetterHalf I think they should be saved too. I was having a 1 to 1 chat and the person asked me my name, gender, if I used WhatsApp or Hangout. This is inappropriate. More vulnerable people than me might do this

peachWalker1829 December 17th, 2017

No I dont agree with massages being saved. Some ppl come here to vent and talk about things and if lets say their partner was to find the messages they would be in danger or something. No dont save the messages

@peachWalker1829

for the privacy concerns, messages could be saved just on the listener's end.

Jademcg December 18th, 2017

@peachWalker1829 their could always be a way to deleate the messages if they want

FrankGarrett December 17th, 2017

I agree, I hate to have to make repeat members give me the same information again. I would love to have the messages available for me to see so that I can better help them.

dsmvi December 17th, 2017

I think a good feature would be to create notes in each chat. I think for members you reconnect with, it can be helpful to have collected details so that you can easily restart where you left off and not have to ask for refreshers during a chat.

Jennoa2017 December 18th, 2017

I think it is good for both the member and listener to have a record of the chats.

I have personally found it hard to remember some details of every conversation when I take general requests from the que. I will ask permission of the user for me to take personal notes, so I don't embarrass either of us if I forget something crucial. Especially if they are to become a regular of mine.

And it would be great for the member to look back through any advice the listener has given them.

I say yes to keeping chats on record. If confidentiality and anonymity is the issue, then I propose a time limit of perhaps a few months or longer. Gives users time to gain permision to note down anything important they may have missed.

However I haven't been on 7cups that long and being able to think/vote on this is great, should I ever change my mind!

Thanks for the chance to vote! yes

Csprincess December 18th, 2017

I agree with what jenono2017 said.

Also optionally save a record but give members an option to clear the record on thier account. Anywhere they are logged in would be cleared. This way for members in dangerous or delicate situations they are protected.

Could also add additional authentication to see chat logs.

Colton2017 December 18th, 2017

I think its a great idea, it would help listeners tremendously. When members come back and request us again, they expect us to remember things. Maybe leave it to where listeners can only see the messages, or leave it for the members to decide at the end of chat.

sep780 December 18th, 2017

I think we should be able to save 1 on 1 messages. When you get one that you keep going back to, it's good to save it to make sure it's always there.

averyt December 18th, 2017

if both people in the conversation agree like a mutual thing

December 18th, 2017

OK