Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Maybe not my "cup of tea"

Gwendolynne August 30th, 2017

I've sent two messages out to two different listeners and have heard nothing back from either. Maybe they're busy. Maybe they've dropped out of the listening program. Maybe they're just on vacation. But to someone who is having a tough time, not hearing back from someone for a MONTH AND A HALF, not even a form rejection saying they're too busy, that's tough to swallow when you are deeply depressed. My psychiatrist recommended this group but I'm pretty disillusioned with it right now. Has anyone else had this experience? I took a lot of guts to write those two initial letters and I'm feeling deflated that they weren't answered. I've dropped by chat every once in a while but I'm an old fart and chat isn't really my thing. Maybe this isn't either.

AriLabowitzLMFT August 30th, 2017

@Gwendolynne sorry you're having this experience. I'm new to 7 cups, but I haven't seen someone have that experience on here.

Is there anything your comfortable sharing in a public forum that the community can listen to and maybe interact with?

RarelyCharlie August 30th, 2017

I think many people have that experience on here. As a listener, I often receive messages from people who want to chat when I'm either offline or taking an extended break from listening.

If the button says "Leave Message" then 7 Cups cannot guarantee a quick reply, or any reply at all. I suspect we don't make this clear enough to everyone.

If the button says "Chat Now" then you can normally expect to be able to chat.

@AriMFT

Hopeful0001 August 30th, 2017

@Gwendolynne

do you message those who are set to online? If they're not online they don't have to reply at all..

SilverHowl2604 November 19th, 2020

@Gwendolynne

I am new to this place and honestly from seeing people's replies and your post, it makes me very wary to contact listeners, unless they're doing a better job at hiring listeners with good times to chat and a proper attitude, it's highly unlikely I will speak to one unless I DESPERATELY need to.

Impy1015 November 19th, 2020

@Gwendolynne I'm listening

continue

Hopeful0001 September 18th, 2017

@brightStrawberries2053

well being a listener is volunteer. If they're marked as offline you can't guarantee they're logged on.. they're not required to be on. It's volunteer. You get what you pay for and in this case you're paying nothing.

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES August 30th, 2017

When I joined I was so eager to find a listener, the very first one said to me ' I am not the right person for you ' and disconnected. Hello ! What ? I have had others disconnect mid conversation then immediately block me, so I no longer use them. Thankfully I have a real psychiatrist and a psychologist ( who was none too pleased when I told her my experiences with being blocked or disconnected - she is not a fan, she says there is no accountability or educational requirements ), so I just participate in the games, post things to my feed, read other people's feeds and read some of the threads that interest me. If I had to depend on listener's I would be in big trouble.

I am so sorry you had to deal with this, but I believe you completely as I have gone thru it myself and it is a massive turn off and incredibly painful. heart

November 20th, 2020

Ima sry u went through that, I hope you won't give up, there are some amazing listeners here.

optimalrest September 5th, 2017

I've had similar experiences with being blocked &/or told someone is not the right listener for me. However, listeners are volunteering their time, & each of them is different. Some will be better than others, & some clearly shouldn't be listeners. Some listeners on here also happen to be therapists, but at no point in time are promises made that you will receive therapy from a listener, that you can speak to someone immediately about a crisis (the active listening course directs listeners to refer people in crisis to hotlines rather than chat with them), or that any listener is obligated to speak to anyone who contacts them.

What 7 Cups of Tea offers, including in relation to its one-on-one chats, is clearly stated throughout the website. A key problem here--& in a ridiculous amount of other areas of one's life--is that people do not read explanatory information made available to them, presume that they'll get whatever they want , & hold unrealistic expectations.

calmSoul60 September 5th, 2017

@Gwendolynne

I'm very sorry you had to go through such a thing. As a member here I only faced that once but the reason was that there were about 40 members online and few listeners so I understood. When you leave a message for someone who is online, they will respond to you quick but if they are offline then they might not answer in a while.

Age is not a problem here at all. I'm sorry again you had to go through this. If you still want, I'm here for you. You can message me anytime and I guarantee I will answer in the same day.

calmSoul60 September 18th, 2017

@brightStrawberries2053

I'd like to say that not all listeners in here do that. Keep in mind too that us as listeners have our own problems, so sometimes when we hear something similar, it might trigger us. I myself, even when triggered, manage to go through the chat still. But others just can't take it. I'd say it would be more nice of the listener, to day let me refer you to another fellow listener and not block the member/ guest.

redWaves43 September 19th, 2017

@Gwendolynne

I'm not surprised. This site sucks.

November 20th, 2020

@redWaves43

I don't really think the site sucks, its more individual people making it a rough place. As much bad as there is, there is alot of good to. I hope you continue to use cups, and meet some of the pawsome people here. If u want talk hit me up, it'd be great to get to know you.

Hang tough stay pawsome ur friend 🔥

July 15th, 2020

@Gwendolynne

I've had issue with a few listeners from being blocked for no reason to them getting banned or jus being to busy irl to chat.

shyOrange4892 October 19th, 2020

@Gwendolynne

I just wanna say that this happened to me too. Specifically, connecting to a new listener and then being ghosted.

November 19th, 2020

It sadly happens alot

SilverHowl2604 November 19th, 2020

@Fireskye13

Then I'm even more reluctant to try ;-;

November 20th, 2020

@SilverHowl2604

Don't give up, yes there are going to be listeners you don't click with, but when you find the right 1 its worth it.

Hang tough stay pawsome ur friend 🔥

SilverHowl2604 November 20th, 2020

@Fireskye13

Thank you for the kind words <3

November 20th, 2020

@SilverHowl2604

Anytime, hit me up if you want to talk. Ima usually in the rooms, stop by and say hi.

SilverHowl2604 November 20th, 2020

@Fireskye13

Will do.

March 29th, 2021

@SilverHowl2604

Hiya, how gos? Hope all is well!💖

placidAvocado2692 March 28th, 2021

@Gwendolynne. Yes, unfortunately I’ve had similar experiences and yes, it leaves a person feeling terrible