Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's wrong with me?

niceAcai9918 March 21st, 2016

I broke up with him because he dismissed my "no"s and pushed me. Guilted me. I felt worthless if I didn't...I felt like if I didn't we would fight and he would break up with me. And we had this talk so many times. And he'd say all the right things but we'd go back to it again. I would fall apart, he would comfort me, then try again.

Every encounter started a panic. It's my fault.

It's been months and I still cry every day because I miss him. But I'm also terrified of him.

I can't tell anyone because I want him back and my friends/family would hate him. But I don't think he was intentionally trying to hurt me.

I'm confused and hurting

Melloncollie1985 March 21st, 2016

@niceAcai9918

Im going thru a somewhat similar issue. The best thing ive found is called "no contact ". So far so good for me. You dont need him back in your life. With no contact you will begin to see that. Best of luck *hugs*

Kitha March 21st, 2016

@Melloncollie1985 yes the no contact rule is good for any break up situation. When you don't contact them , they would suddenly miss you .

niceAcai9918 OP March 22nd, 2016

@Melloncollie1985

I'm sorry you are going through this, too. It's rough. I tried no contact but he broke it twice. We are still in no contact. It's weird that I have made this decision and not talked to him - but want so badly to just BE with him all the time. Even knowing it will happen again. -hugs- We can do this!

Melloncollie1985 March 22nd, 2016

@niceAcai9918

I know its not easy at all. I so badly want him back. But i know its for the best. I am learning that now. Talking about it helps. And keeping up the no contact as best as you can. We can get thru this!

Bittersweet73 March 21st, 2016

@niceAcai9918

You are so courageous! You did what most people spend years trying to work through. You are very self aware. You were on a negative mental roller coastal ride. It may have seemed fun at times and it may have seemed scary at times but it always ended up back at the station. It didn't go on forever. You had to set the ride back up and push the button only to come back again and again. You decided you were done with it and got off the emotional roller coaster. Bravo!

It takes time to heal. Missing this person is normal. You obviously care for one another. Try to remember the roller coaster when you get weak. Your inner voice told you to get out and you listened. There is a reason you felt afraid. Remember that. You are obviously very smart. Try to find some friends to keep your mind busy or do what you are doing right now. Whatever keeps you safe.

@Bittersweet73

Thank you so much. I really like the roller coaster metaphor. I'm struggling with whether I was the reason for the roller coaster or him. Or maybe both of us. I want back on sometimes...

I'm going to read this when I feel weak :)

ExRapunzel March 22nd, 2016

@niceAcai9918 I'm so very sorry that you're hurting, I don't what to say or how to say it without making you shut down and not listen to me. I just want you to know that you did not deserve to be treated that way and even though he might have not hurt you purposely that first time, you sat him down and told him how you felt. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear this, but he made the choice to hurt you, even if he didn't realize. By him ignoring what you said and how you felt, he made a choice to hurt you and you did not deserve that at all.

ExRapunzel March 22nd, 2016

@niceAcai9918 I just saw about the progress you're making and I'm so very happy for you=)

Annie March 21st, 2016

Dear @niceAcai9918, There's nothing wrong with you!

You're right about how confusing it is. It's hard. We tend to yearn for the sense of closeness, we miss the attachment. And when it is gone, the world seems emptier and lonelier. And our family/friends, who perhaps became disgusted at what we tolerated, cannot always understand.

I agree wholeheartedly with what the others have said above about the strength it takes to cope with such situations. And I have experienced the deep confusion of loving someone who is harmful for me in some important ways. (And you're right, it doesn't mean they're bad people or intended to hurt us. Sometimes they're needy, damaged and confused; it's often said that hurt people hurt people.)

Sometimes getting away physically is key. Some people call this geographical detachment. It's important, but it's only a first step, I think.

The more important step is learning emotional detachment, in my experience. I learned about that kind of healthy detachment from a wonderful therapist and from going to meetings of Al-Anon for Family Members. And reading about co-dependence, and reading about loving detachment.

Dear one, there are reasons that many women (and men) are attracted to and become attached to people who try to control them and tend to hurt them. It can feel comfortable in ways that may stem from our histories and our views of ourselves.

Sometimes we crave attachment so strongly and fear rejection/abandonment so deeply that we accept things that are unacceptable. We can become so accustomed to being manipulated that after a while it doesn't seem that bad! It can feel almost normal.

I hope you can find wisdom and strength from the 7 Cups community. And perhaps in your area there are some support groups that might help with healing and learning. And professional counselors can be immensely helpful, when our need for the attachment overcomes our better judgment of what is good for us.

Please feel free to click on my name at the top of this post and send me a message if you would like to talk sometime. This process of discovering your real worth and learning healthier, more independent habits isn't easy at first. But it is so wonderful when we can start to breathe freely and truly love ourselves, and love others without all that manipulation, controlling, negativity, drama, and judgments.

It is scary to leave what's familiar and sail to a new world. But there is wonderful opportunity and freedom in that new world. And once you're there, I think you're gonna love it.

heart

Congratulations on the progress you've made so far! Good for you!!

@Annie

Thank you so much, Annie. I wish I could hug you. Every word is exactly what these months have been. I'm in therapy and reading about codependence. I'm still afraid to go to a CoDA meeting. Your words really help

Annie March 22nd, 2016

@niceAcai9918, Ohhhhh, I'm hugging you with all my heart.

Am happy to hear you're considering the CoDA meetings and seeing a therapist. Wow, you're doing so many good things to take care of yourself! It's uphill at first, but your efforts will be rewarded. I hope you'll let me know how you're doing.

Annie March 21st, 2016

Dear @niceAcai9918 and @Melloncollie1985,

I don't know if you're teens, but if you are, there's helpful info in the 7 Cups Forum about Prevention of Teen Dating Violence.

Teen Dating Violence includes being pressured to engage in sexual activities you don't want. Here are some links about sexual pressure from boyfriends/girlfriends/dates and other types of dating violence:

The amazing @RebeccaEmily wrote about it in this forum thread.

Other forum discussions at 7 Cups are HERE (@iara's great discussion) and HERE.

And much of the info applies to everyone, any age. It's just that inexperienced young people are often more vulnerable.

@monbon

niceAcai9918 OP April 18th, 2016

I don't know if it is okay to post in this thread; I didn't really know where to say this.

His birthday is soon.

I saw his name on a group I am in and panicked. In that moment I wanted nothing more than to move to a new city. I was so upset that he had "found me." But I wasn't hiding. I won't go to that group anymore.

But because that happened I did the supreme awful thing post-break-up. I stalked him online. I KNOW! Worst decision ever.

He has written somewhere that he might see me. What does that mean? Is he coming to my house? Is he going to reach out to me because I said I wanted no contact for so many months? Time's up - so check in? I wish I hadn't set a date.

I miss him and I'm terrified. I don't know what to do. I go between maybe excited to see him and scared. I still don't blame him as much as I blame myself. I know that is unhealthy. But I can't make myself believe otherwise. I drift between "that was assault," "that was rape," and "he didn't know, you were both stupid." Everyone I have shared my story with has said it was wrong of him to do that. And I still don't fully believe that. Why?

I both want to get back together and never want to see him again/never want any of this to have happened.

It would be so much easier if I knew the truth and what is best - and BELIEVED it.

I don't know. I guess I'm asking for help but I don't know that I'll hear it. =(