Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Being Abused (Again)

ImpudentIncognito July 15th

Trigger warning  (domestic abuse, verbal and physical abuse, incest)

Not sure where else to turn...so here I am gathering my thoughts. Due to my medical issues, I have gone back to living with my abusive mother who used to physically, verbally and SA me. She's still verbally abusive to me (and now my son), and has threatened to have my brother hit me -- I told her I would call the cops if that were to happen and she laughed in my face and went "Oh, like you called the cops on your son's dad?"  which I respond "Yes, yes I did. Are you stupid?" (I don't care to respect her anymore, with the way she talks to me and my son). She assumed I let my ex abuse me and it's my fault for him getting close to making me gone from this world.

I had to confront her again today, after my nonverbal autistic son came to me saying he's sad and "grandma scary". My mother doesn't believe in autism, and talks down on him like he's stupid since he doesn't talk a lot of words (but he understands 3 languages -- and which includes sign language). It enrages me. I asked her not to talk to him that way and that's when everything blew up. 

Albeit, I couldn't speak normally to her after, I did tell her how I truly felt about her and didn't hold it in, she called me "childish" and talked down on me like I'm "too stupid" to understand. Now here's the thing -- she dropped out of school in elementary, she doesn't try to learn new things and is stuck in her ways and can hardly handle simple technology, and she says because she's older she's "automatically smarter" than me and has "more experience" plus she's a teacher at school (not really, she's an assistant but whatever). She DOES NOT have training in autism, not one bit and purposely provokes him and blames ME for my son's behaviour and says "You treat him like he's grown, he doesn't know ANYTHING." No, I treat him with RESPECT and talk to him like NORMAL and EXPLAIN why things are bad, not go "you think you know everything. You can't do it. Because I said so!" -- like she does.

I told her that he can STILL UNDERSTAND YOU, even if he is nonverbal and autistic. Furthermore, I threw it back in her face then that must mean my (abusive) grandmother(her mother that she absolutely HATES) must know better than her too, and is "smarter" and "wiser" since she has more experience. I could tell that irked her when I said that because she went "whatever".

We ended the argument when she had to go to work and gave the most gross "I love you have a good day" pretending we didn't JUST argue and went to talk to my brother privately to make it seem like I'm the bad guy. She's probably the ONLY person in the world I TRULY hate. I have made peace about my abusive ex fiancé who nearly made my existence disappear from this world. I'm indifferent now, I don't want to think about him -- hating takes too much energy -- but now I HATE my mother and it's a wasted emotion.

I didn't really want to talk to my oldest brother either, but he seemed pretty neutral and didn't say anything at all during the argument and stayed out of it. He came over and offered to take me out of the house when she left to sorta cheer me up, but I'm spending some time alone for today. It's sick that my mother has "parentified" him and treats him like her husband -- it's emotional inc***...which is gross...She groomed him. She's also highly racist and says racial slurs about my father -- and compares me to him. My father does NOT know how wicked of a woman she is. He's not a good person either though. They're both awful people.

Just needed to vent. I'm not very active on 7cups to be honest, been dealing with my own issues.
Yes, I have a plan to leave her as soon as I can. I was going to live with my partner once we both start working. I am VERY close to moving to a DV shelter, but really need to finish my real estate classes. I have a guaranteed job as soon as I get my license....I was only planning on staying her until September, but I'm going crazy... I plan on recording my interactions with my mother and "grey rocking" her if she tries and provoke me. I plan on documenting what she says and does 
For example, when she said it's OK for kids to be slapped as punishment -- like she has done to me(worried she is going to hurt my son so I have kept my eye on them -- she acts up when I have to use the bathroom or shower, I usually send son over to his uncle/my oldest brother because he treats him kindly), or when she says racial slurs about my dad or is being homophobic or sexist. I'll record it all and report it to the department that ensures child safety. Or I'll call the cops if she continues to insist driving drunk while endangering other people's lives.

There's more I could write, but I'll leave it at that...she has sabotage my chances on things I needed (ex. therapy for autistic son, daycare, insurance since she won't provide me her info for me to apply, she denied taking me to job interviews, and claims I don't "need" a car when I plan on using MY OWN money on it when I work)

mytwistedsoul July 15th

@ImpudentIncognito Oh Imp. I'm so sorry you had to go stay with them. I know you were trying to work things so you wouldn't have to

Being older certainly hasn't opened her mind up any has it? Let alone that it's made her smarter. Omg her words and behavior are absolutely horrible and sick

How close are you to finishing up for your real estate license? Can you finish up quicker? 
I think it's a very good idea to keep record of any interactions with her because she seems like the type that would twist things around and get you into trouble. She's using everything she can to try and control you so you need to make sure you have all your bases covered. 

With moving to a shelter - I know those can often be horrible places in their own way but would they maybe be able to help with the resources you need for your son? You'll definitely be in my thoughts and I hope something good happens soon so you can get away from her as soon as possible 
ImpudentIncognito OP July 16th

@mytwistedsoul

I appreciate your kind words and support. 
💖

[[Just for the sake of simplicity and anonymity, I'll say I currently live with my abuser in Planaterra, and was originally living 1,000+ kilometers away in Solterra]]

I'm on chapter 3 of 19 for online classes...It's supposed to be a 90hr modules of videos and reading online. I wish I finished it sooner, but was dealing with other things in the past (mostly medical issues, which lead to me having to leave my job, which lead to a close eviction -- also dealt with some stuff involving childcare, had someone stalking me, among other stuff).

Anyhow, I'm hoping to finish it THIS WEEK and study for the remaining month in order to take the real estate license test in the state of Solterra [each real estate license pertains to a certain state and is only valid there]. I will have to travel over there, take the test, and stay maybe a day before I head back.

My brother MIGHT be able to help me with a plane ticket and hotel, but unsure...

Originally, my (long distance) significant other told me not to worry about housing and that he'll take care of everything MONTHS ago but...idk...Stuff happened so I'm not going to rely on him anymore. He said certain promises, but it hasn't happened. However, I am thankful he has helped me immensely in the past, so for that, I am grateful, especially since a LOT of things were going on and he was there for me at the time. 

I'm wondering if I should hold off on moving out until I get my license first...

mytwistedsoul July 16th

@ImpudentIncognito I remember talking with you on another thread about this. It's understandable with all the other things you were dealing with at the time that you couldn't get the online course done sooner. Medical issues alone take up a lot of time and energy

It makes sense that each state would have its own separate real estate license. Each state and area probably has different building codes and requirements for insurance and stuff like that

Oh gosh - I wish I knew the answer to what you're wondering. Apart of me wants to tell you to get out now but it's a lot more complicated because you have your son to think about. Maybe just take each moment as it comes and do what ever is necessary to keep you and your son safe

I wish you the best of luck on your real estate test! Take good care of yourself and your son ❤️
ImpudentIncognito OP July 17th

@mytwistedsoul

I...think I'll (unfortunately) just stay here for a little while.
I've been avoiding having much contact with my abuser. She's backed off a little bit from my son after I yelled at her the other day and threatened to call the cops if she tries to escalate it to violence.

As far as progress goes in terms of moving out --
I've progressed to chapter 4 our of 19, with my goal being to finish around 2 to 3 chapters a day until I finish it all this week...but will still have to study for final test...I have until the beginning of September.

I know i mention this a lot --- but my partner said he's looking for a job and hoping to move out soon so we can all live together -- but I'm also going to try and pull my own weight. Stuff keeps happening (ex. his [abusive] mother put the house on fire due to carelessness of leaving the stove on when she took his nephew to the park, dealing with the house cleaners robbing him, his drug addict abusive sister made a brief reappearance and he had to tolerate her for a while but she left to live in a different state.)

So I don't know if I can 100% rely on him --- as he has his own personal stuff going on.  More than likely, I'll have to figure it out on my own -- which isn't too much of a problem it's just stressful doing everything alone while making sure little one is good and safe...Idk, I guess I've been anxious, and I am feel maybe I am unfairly projecting my own anxious feelings onto him. He also has worries and things going on. I hate that I feel this way. I think when I finish the classes, test for license after, and start working right away, I'll be OK.

Best thing I can do is continue to protect my son and avoid my abuser at the house -- as much minimal contact as possible.

I'm waiting on my security deposit money from my prior apartments to return to me, so at least I can use it towards maybe the plane ticket and hotel.
Sorry, if whatever I wrote sounds incoherent, I stay up every night now just trying to finish these classes. I hardly sleep...🫠 But I will get more sleep once it's next week.

mytwistedsoul July 18th

@ImpudentIncognito I'm glad she backed off a little. Avoiding having contact with her as much as possible is best IMO. She'll try to push an issue again I'm sure because that's just how they are. I think alot of times they just have to challenge boundaries and it's hard for her to accept that you stood your ground

That great that you've set a goal of 2-3 chapters a day. There's probably a lot to remember. And with all the stress being back in an abusive home do you find that it affects your ability to focus? 

If I remember right he was working towards a CDL? She left the stove on and went to the park? OMG hopefully the damage wasn't too bad. I hope the cleaners were fired or replaced. Did he notice things missing before or after his sister left for another state? I think it's a good idea that you want to and are willing to pull your own weight

To me it makes sense that you're feeling a lot of anxiety. Even if your projecting that anxiety onto him - it's kind of to be expected. There's been things that have happened or didn't happen that affected your situation and your son's. And it's hard to trust that people will follow through with things they say they'll do - especially if it constantly happened to you before. I think once you've finished the classes and test and can start working a big weight will be lifted from you. And once you and your son can get out of that awful house you'll be able to breathe easier

I hope you get your security deposit back soon. From what I understand it can take 30 days I guess? But each state is probably different too 

It's hard to sleep with so much on your mind right now. You don't want to get too sleep deprived though especially with trying to do classes for your test. Hopefully next week sleep is better for you

Maslow July 17th

@ImpudentIncognito This sounds really rough. Thank you for sharing, and if you need to talk the door is always open!

I hope things turn out well for you..and you move out of your mother's house..FOR GOOD!

slowdecline48 July 25th

Jesus on toast, what a scene... You seem to have tactics for dealing with your parents already, so there probably isn't much I can add.

There are truly toxic people in this world, far too many who never add anything of positive value to whatever situations they're in. Your mother sounds like one of those creatures. In my book they just look human.... The only decent thing she ever did, apparently, was produce you & your brother. Every so often I come back to a saying popular among mills & gen-Z kids: "every child deserves a parent, but not all parents deserve their children."

Yes, emotional in¢€st is disgusting. I think it should be a criminal offense but realistically, such a law would probably be difficult to consistently enforce. Assault & battery leaves tangible evidence whereas emotional boundary-breaking leaves nothing anyone can easily see.

Try to keep your head on your shoulders as best you can. Remember that it won't help you or your son if you react blindly or let yourself sink into depression. Once you get that real estate license, you can go to work for a local firm, pull in some green & relocate yourself & your boy to a better place.