Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 16: The Importance of Digital Detox

SoulfullyAButterfly December 16th, 2023

This month, 7 Cups launched video and audio therapy! To celebrate, we’re doing 25 days of Gratitude, Self-Care and Personal Growth. Read more here.

emily-underworld-ko3embfggok-unsplash_1702752860.jpg

Studies show that excessive screen time can lead to anxiety, depression, sleep disturbances, and even attention-deficit disorders. It's time to hit pause and rediscover the power of disconnecting – with a digital detox.

Here are some of the psychological mechanisms that excessive digital usage can result in:

Dopamine Overload: Social media platforms are designed to trigger dopamine, the reward neurotransmitter, with every like and comment. This creates a loop of seeking validation online, leading to decreased self-esteem and anxiety when not engaged.

Information Overload: The constant influx of information online can overwhelm our cognitive processing, making it harder to focus, remember, and be truly present in the moment.

Fear of Missing Out (FOMO): The curated lives we see online can fuel FOMO, making us feel inadequate and disconnected from reality. This can lead to envy, low mood, and a distorted sense of self.

It's never too late to hit the pause button and embrace digital detox. Here are some practical tips:

1) Set a Goal: Begin with a clear goal, such as avoiding digital devices for at least an hour before bedtime.

2) Designate Tech-Free Zones: Enforce certain areas in your home or certain times in a day as tech-free to reduce dependency on devices.

3) Prioritize Real-Life Interactions: Engaging with family members or picking up a new hobby can help shift focus from the digital world to the real world.

4) Use Tech Tools: If extra support is needed, there are several tech tools and apps available that can monitor screen time and remind you to take breaks.

Start your day with a mindful practice like meditation or journaling before reaching for your phone. Similarly, wind down before bed without screen distractions to improve sleep quality.

Remember, a digital detox isn't about abandoning technology altogether, but about finding a healthy balance. By prioritizing real-world connections and mindful engagement, we can reclaim our focus, improve our well-being, and rediscover the joy of living in the present moment. So, disconnect to reconnect – your mind and body will thank you for it!

Discussion Questions

1. How has your digital consumption changed over the years, and what impact do you perceive it has had on your life?

2. What are some signs you might need a digital detox?

3. Have you ever tried a digital detox before? If yes, how was your experience?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou December 16th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Ooof this is tooo good, Soul, thank you for touching upon such a relevant topic. So much to do and be on digitally, that we miss out on living life realistically. There's good and bad in everything, hehe! 

I do take breaks from the screen(s), social media, digital world etc every once in a while and hope to try doing that more often and more religiously! 

How it impacts? I think it impacts positively, making you feel a lot more calmer, centered and in-tune with your surroundings, people around you, or just your thoughts/ whatever activity you're spending time on in a more focused way! 

Thanks for the reminder!🥰

Jenna December 16th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Wow, what a great read. This really shifted some things into perspective for me. Especially with dopamine overload and FOMO. I realize I need to take a huge step back and find a healthier balance.

1. How has your digital consumption changed over the years, and what impact do you perceive it has had on your life?
My digital consumption has increased drastically over the years. Especially when the pandemic hit. Losing the connection with others made me rely on the internet for connection and it hasn't stopped since.

Multiple reasons. When I find myself needing a constant distraction or finding myself distracted from other things and having the "need" to constantly check my phone and socials. When I start having physical discomforts like eye strain and headaches. When I start focusing on comparing myself with others' lives and successes. 

I've never tried a full digital detox but I have done social media detox before and that was a nice break and a lot easier than a digital detox.

PetiteSouris December 17th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Digital consumption has increased over the past twenty years in the world; and as a society we are over reliant on the internet and all digital devices which connect to it. There has also been a sharp increase in the use of A.I everywhere you can think about, A.I has been replacing jobs and doing surgeries. I think the use of A.I has many pros but also there are cons.

For me, I find myself to be overly dependent on my phone and my computer.

I think im in need of a digital detox when I become anxious by many messages from friends and family on messaging apps. Also I feel as digital detox may not need any signs; as humans its important for us to have mindy, body, soul balance and it is very important to disconnect from our devices and spend time in nature to help our bodies connect with the natural wifi of the earth. 

I practice a some-what digital detox. I dont have any social media accounts. I have never all but one of them, and the one which I had I deleted in 2012. I want to purchase a non-smart phone(they are expensive, WELP). I read paper books and visit my library often. I watch television about once per week, and next year I want to participate in more "analog" activities: yoga, gardening, hiking more, laughing more, being present and mindful.

SunShineAlwaysGrateful December 17th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I do run two war clans online and of course volunteer there at 7cups … it all brings JOY to my life and I enjoy it. 

I have long distance partners so technology is great way to stay in contact video phone and of course in person… 

When life becomes too much or life circumstances become heavy this fall my momma had a couple of strokes and another this weekend soo it does affect my digital presence … I do build in lots of real time interaction s with groups I belong to a 50 plus group locally lots of social painting bowling and dinners. As well I run a local weight loss group TOpS and a member of Weight watchers locally too …retirement is super fun with so much to do…

yes I have not completely of course but restrict my online when needed …. 

SunShineAlwaysGrateful December 17th, 2023

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful

sorry tech issues it didn’t load 

cloudySummer December 17th, 2023

Was just thinking that if all the listeners read this, there won't be anyone left on 7cups... 😇

I love the days I can spend off-screen, but unfortunately, much of my life revolves around online or at least digital things. I totally wouldn't mind if it were possible to be different. I'm not on social media, except for professional / volunteering purposes anyway and I dislike needing to spend time there.

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS December 18th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Great thread and questions that got me thinking! It is such an important topic on the significant positive impact of a digital detox! 

1. I am always on my laptop or phone for work and my personal life. It has always been in my life due to owning a device for a very long time to study and work. Thankfully, I know when enough is enough and I like to take breaks and also avoid using digital devices before bedtime as I know the importance of a good nights sleep! 

2. When I am finding that I need to constantly check on something like an important decision arriving by email - this is usually the time I need to not remain hyper-focused on what I am waiting for but learn to be patient and to enjoy the moment. 

3. Yes! When I lived in South Africa I was blessed with some of the more remote places having little to no signal and only in certain spots such as the lodge/hotel. I have spent time in nature on safari with no connection and part of the perks of these places was having time to disconnect. It has been some of the best times I have experienced having time to just simply reduce my usage and spend time in nature. 

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
PatienceImpatiens December 18th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

This is such important information, and I think it bears repeating! (I believe I read a very similar post by Donald Draper on this very topic!).

I was lucky or maybe am just old enough to have spent more than half of my life without too many computers! The computers we had at University took up a whole room and were operated using cards. Lol, I used to play with the cards. 

I think shutting the computer is an underrated skill, and that we could solve a lot of problems by doing just that.

Of course, I'm a bit of an introvert. I liked taking Solo Hikes for Long Distances. So being away from the Computer feels more natural to me in general. 

Now, as a Writer, I rely on the computer and I admire how sharp the writing looks and how quickly I can generate something readable.

I think we create a lot of the internal mental strife and consternation because of excessive worries and concerns revolving around the computer.

I'm all for just shutting the lid, turning off the power and just taking in the surroundings. Good luck to you if you will try that.

screen-shot-2023-12-18-at-11-56-04-am_1702918580.png

KatePersephone December 19th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

my digital consumption honestly varies depending on my emotions, the stage in my life and my mentality :D

that i cannot stop being on my phone scrolling mindlessly

i have, and it has been good. but it was easier because i was not under any kind of stress and in need of a distraction