Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 11: Loneliness During the Holidays: Finding Connection and Support

ASilentObserver December 11th, 2023

Hello everyone, 

7 Cups has an exciting therapy update to share this month. To celebrate, we’re doing 25 days of Gratitude, Self-Care, and Personal Growth. Read more here.

Loneliness is a very complex and deeply personal experience. It can manifest in different ways for different people -  some may feel a constant ache in their hearts, a longing for companionship that seems out of reach. Others may feel a deep sense of emptiness, as if something is missing from their lives while some may feel a sense of isolation, even amid a crowded room.

And the holidays can amplify these feelings of loneliness. The emphasis on family and togetherness can serve as a painful reminder of what is lacking in our own lives. The holiday season is often portrayed as a time of joy, love, and togetherness. But for many people, it can be a time of intense loneliness and isolation. Whether due to the loss of a loved one, being far away from family and friends, or simply feeling disconnected from others, the holidays can bring about a profound sense of sadness and longing.

Please know that you are not alone in your loneliness. Many others are also struggling during this time of year. It may not always be evident, but others understand and can relate to what you are going through. Here are some steps you can consider to take this holiday season! 

1. Acknowledge your emotions and experiences. It is okay to be not okay during holidays. It is okay to acknowledge and accept your feelings. It is okay to feel sad, lonely, or even angry. It is important to give yourself permission to feel these emotions and not judge yourself for experiencing them. Please know that your feelings are valid. 
  2. Create new traditions: If you are experiencing loneliness due to any reason, maybe consider creating new traditions that honor your emotions and help you find solace or even modify the existing ones. This could involve engaging in activities that bring you comfort and some kindness to yourself, such as reading a favorite book, taking a nature walk, or indulging in self-care practices.  By creating new traditions or modifying existing ones, you can make the holiday season feel more personal and enjoyable.
  3. Acts of giving back & kindness: Giving back to others in need can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment. You may consider volunteering or engaging in small acts of kindness to others. By focusing on helping or supporting others, you may find a renewed sense of connection and meaning during the holiday season. 
  4. Practice self-compassion: When you are feeling lonely, it is important to be kind and gentle with yourself. Please know that to prioritize your well-being and treat yourself with the same compassion you would show to a dear friend. It is important to take care of yourself physically and emotionally during the holiday season. Make sure you are getting enough rest, eating well, and engaging in activities that promote your well-being. This could be exercise, meditation, or simply taking time to relax and recharge.
  5. Seek support from others: Loneliness can be an isolating experience, but reaching out for support can make a significant difference. Consider joining support groups, talking to a friend who you can rely on, or exploring supportive communities where you can share your feelings and experiences with others who may be going through similar struggles and challenges of loneliness. 

Now, I would like to hear from you. You can share your thoughts for either or both as you feel comfortable! 

• How do you acknowledge your emotions during the holidays?;
  • OR, if you can create a tradition to deal with loneliness during holidays, what will it be? 

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below, and let's support each other in finding comfort and connection during the holiday season. 

untitled-design-8_1702307000.png

Faljabiry1019 December 21st, 2023

Thanks for this.

ASilentObserver OP December 21st, 2023

@Faljabiry1019 Of course. we are all here with you Fal. thank you for being here with us

Opentogrowth1 December 21st, 2023

Mom had a stroke and while she is still alive, things are definitely not the same. I've never been into the holidays, and right now, with what's happened, things feel 100 times worse. My sister, who I love dearly, got angry and ghosted me when I shared how I really felt and my anger/disappointment at certain things. She's never dealt too easily with seeing me at anything less than 'happy'.

I am using this time for introspection, to exercise more self compassion and patience with myself as I experience this mixed bag of feelings. As turbulent as this time is, I have found comfort through 7cups, where I can share what I'm feeling without judgment. It has been a life saver :)

ASilentObserver OP December 23rd, 2023

@Opentogrowth1 I am so sorry to hear about your mother's stroke and the difficulties you are experiencing during the holidays. That must be incredibly difficult. You seem very caring in your commitment to being there for your mother during this challenging time. It also sounds understandably hard to have your sister react that way when you opened up about your feelings.  You mentioned exercising self-compassion - that's really important. I'm glad 7cups has provided a supportive space for you. You aren't alone in this. We are all here with you to listen to and to support

SunShineAlwaysGrateful December 24th, 2023

@ASilentObserver 

Do things that help you find JOY in the smallest of moments … community lights,  a winter hikes funny holiday movie 🎥, video a friend for a chat if you are far apart …. Self care bc you are worthy of so much. Invest in yourself of time … whatever that looks like for you….

ASilentObserver OP December 25th, 2023

@SunShineAlwaysGrateful Thank you for sharing your perspective on finding moments of joy and self care. It seems focusing on small pleasures and quality time with friends, even from a distance, helps nourish your wellbeing.  I am glad you take the time to invest in your needs - it is caring for yourself that allows us to care for others.