Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Forum Functionality: Provide Feedback Here!

theriverissinging March 31st, 2022

Hello, everyone!

As you might be aware, there are some on-going forum changes taking place. You can use this thread to provide any feedback, suggestions on forum functionality (functions, features, utility, any technical aspects only) or bugs that you encounter.

This is mainly being done to help keep things organized as it can be hard to gather it from various places/people and ease up the process for everyone to pass on feedback further to the 7 Cups team.

We encourage everyone to use this thread for its purpose anytime and use it for only that. Kindly review this post for any other feedback/behavior reports that don't involve forum functionality.

RarelyCharlie March 31st, 2022

@theriverissinging Hi river! Do you mean feedback on forum functionality in general? Or do you only mean feedback on recent changes?

A few things I notice right now:

• The number beside the heart should show the number of hearts. Right now I see 0, but your post has at least 1 heart.
  • The Subscribe button requires colour vision to distinguish between green and grey. It would be better for the symbol to be a hollow outline when not subscribed (and solid green when subscribed, like it is now). This way of doing it would match the heart button.
  • Some people do not like having Twitter and Facebook share buttons in their threads. It would be good to allow thread authors the option to remove them. (Not a recent change.)

Charlie

theriverissinging OP March 31st, 2022

@RarelyCharlie the intent of the post was feedback for recent changes but general is welcome too!

@theriverissinging OK, thank you šŸ˜‰ I just noticed another couple. I think these are old bugs:

• When you replied, I got three notificationsā€”one for the heart, one for the tag, and one because I'm subscribed. I only need one notification.
  • The notification for the heart didn't specify which post got the heart. In a long thread I might be interested to know which of several replies got the heart.

Charlie

HopieRemi March 31st, 2022

Thank you

@theriverissinging I got a notification or announcement asking for help with the Needs Reply queue. So I clicked and it took me to the Needs Reply queue. I noticed a few old bugs:

• After clicking on it, I still had a notification.
  • I really want to see the oldest threads at the top of Needs Reply, because they are the most needy. It would be good to sort the list to show the oldest first.
  • When I go all the way down to the oldest thread, the Show More button is still visible, even though there are no more threads to show. The button should be disabled if it's not going to do anything.
  • Needs Reply includes threads posted by listeners for information, and empty check-in threads, which don't need a reply. It should omit these threads.
  • Needs Reply doesn't include threads where the original poster replied to add more information or make a correction. It should include these threads.
  • I believe the Needs Reply team have no automatic way to track how many threads team members are replying to. It would be good to support the team's work by automating their tracking.

Charlie

Oh, and another issue with Needs Reply:

• A member posted something for themselves alone, and specifically asked for no replies. It would be good to provide a way for members to prevent replies in private threads, keeping these threads out of Needs reply.

Charlie

mytwistedsoul March 31st, 2022

@RarelyCharlie This would be a wonderful change! When you reply to one thread and go back to the needs reply you end up having to scroll through them all again

I've noticed many times if someone makes a correction to a post they made or adds more information - they usually end up not getting a reply from anyone else because it's been taken off the needs reply list. In the end they end up not being heard or supported by anyone

Sher217 March 31st, 2022

@theriverissinging

While reviewing posts for the forum project, I've noticed that there are some posts that I can move to another location. They seem to be posts that were relocated to F&C due to a previous reconstruction or team merge.

I am also still having issues of not being able to Edit some of my own posts.

As far as functionality over all, it would be great if there was the ability to move multiple posts, from the same area and going to the same area, all at once [similar to the functions of organizing emails].

Thanks for opening this area for issues to be reported.

~Sher

QuietMagic March 31st, 2022

@theriverissinging

Hi, this post contains my feedback; linking rather than re-posting its contents to avoid violating forum rule #8 (duplicate posts).

Optimisticempath April 1st, 2022

Can the forums go back to how they were already?

Hate to come across too directly but I can hardly say anything good about the current one

At this point it is so clear there are many flaws in this update and i would suggest going back entirely and then keeping the changes that were actually needed in some way to help improve the functionality, instead of the irrelevant changes that are highlighted under "design change" the design change and all the extra stuff wasn't needed in the first place šŸ˜Ÿ

Ease of access was and still needed: now more than ever!!!

The notifications are still quite messy too

CheeryMango April 1st, 2022

Hello @optimisticemoath. I know that the recent changes havenā€™t been easy to get accustomed to, but we are actively working and addressing the issues that you and everyone are experiencing when using the forums. The plan from last year was to update the member and listener homepages and this is something that they will continue to update and make necessary adjustments to for the next few months. While we canā€™t revert back to the old changes, we are taking feedback that is given from the community and making the newer homepages more functional. It will take some time to see the good in the changes since thereā€™s so much left to be released. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns about the recent changes and it is not going unnoticed. May I ask what challenges you are experiencing with the notifications?

Optimisticempath April 2nd, 2022

Thanks for replying @CheeryMango it really feels nice to be heard and i am happy that it is not going unnoticed

Many people don't voice their feedback because they feel it will be of no use and no one will pay attention to them so i want to say that you taking this opportunity to say i and others have been heard is really appreciated

It does make me sad to know that we cannot go back to old forums but i appreciate this honesty better than sweet lies lol

I am really hoping as the changes unfold they are good changes and don't make us further away from forums ā˜¹ļø

I don't always receive notifications, and now with the hearts too sometimes i can see the orange notification that implies someone upvoted/ hearted my comment but when i go to the thread using that i don't reach the direct post, instead the first page of the thread and then it is highly impossible to find the comment in a long thread

I hope this is worked upon also

calmMango9611 November 8th, 2022

@CheeryMango Just wanted to let you know that there is a glitch in the home page.

Posts on the home page are showing up twice.

7cups.com/home/

calmMango9611 November 8th, 2022

@CheeryMango 7cups.com/home/

I forgot to highlight the link.

calmMango9611 November 13th, 2022

@CheeryMango Having some issues with the hyperlinks, you might want to check on this.

Read some of the comments from others on here, that the hyperlinks are not working.

When I clicked on some I get a black screen, on my end, and it keeps spinning, the cups icon.

Please look into this, when you have the time.

calmMango9611 November 15th, 2022

@CheeryMango We have another glitch with the home page of 7cups.

A few posts are coming up twice, in the home feed.

7cups.com/home

calmMango9611 November 15th, 2022

@calmMango9611 7cups.com/home/

Correction, forgot the slash after home, in my last comment, so sorry for that.

Helgafy April 2nd, 2022

@theriverissinging

Hi - thank you so much for the forum. I check in at sharing-circle each day to see if ther's something I can "give" to the forum. I think it should be said at the first page when introducing the members to groups that sharing-circle is for members of 18 years and more.

RarelyCharlie April 2nd, 2022
Let's include some of the navigation issues here:
  • There's no easy way to get straight from your dashboard to the main forum views. You have to bookmark the link yourself. (Otherwise go to the main Community page, look for the Join Communities panel, and click the View Community Highlights Here link at the bottom.)
  • When you do get to the main forum views, the first tab is Popular. For many people it would be more useful to make New the first tab.
  • The Join Communities list is hard to use. To find Trauma Support you have to click Show More seven times! A simple scrolling list would be better.
  • Search is still broken. It only seems to search public titles. It would be useful to be able to search within post contents, for listener-only and other restricted access threads, and by author. For example, when I chat to a member for the first time it would often be useful to be able to read what they've posted, so they don't have to go over it again.
  • It would be useful to be able to search for the right forum. For example, to find ADHD support you currently have to go to the Join Communities list, click Show More seven times, go into Support Plus, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and go to page 2.
  • It's not easy to know how to link to a particular post. It would be good to make the link available on every post.
  • There seems to be no way to go straight to the last page of a long thread. For example, if you click on a thread in search results hoping to read the last replies, you are shown the first replies. You have to click again to go to the last page, then scroll down.
  • When you click a link to a post (a notification, for example), and the post is not near the top of the thread, you get a vertigo-like animation. It would be good to make this optional for those of us who don't like to be reminded of suffering from vertigo.
  • There doesn't seem to be any good way to see all the recent replies in a long thread with many pages. This means replies can get lost. (It's not an insoluble problem. Other Internet forums are designed to avoid it.)

Charlie

GentlyHarsh April 2nd, 2022

I haven't noticed any bugs. But I really want to encourage the site admins to allow users to use Tor and to go the distance and remove Google scripts from the site. That company is a large cause of many people's mental-emotional distress. Thank you.

theriverissinging OP April 3rd, 2022

@Helgafy @GentlyHarsh @passionateEast3565 thank you for the feedback!

Kindly review this post for any other feedback/behavior reports that don't involve forum functionality and submit the same accordingly as you feel fit.

AffyAvo April 4th, 2022

@theriverissinging I actually think @passionateEast3565 post here is related to the functionality too.

Recently requesting/giving advice was added to the forum flag options.

I have never seen this be a forum rule, so I'm confused as to why it's a flag option.

This likely contributed to posts being deleted.

AffyAvo April 4th, 2022

The editing capability still seems to be all over the place. I never know what to expect when I edit.

AffyAvo April 5th, 2022

Flag queue - jump to the post or at minimum the page. Some threads are very long!

theriverissinging OP April 20th, 2022

@AffyAvo I think a suggestion that could go with this could be to include a way to link to any post under the thread.

AffyAvo April 20th, 2022

@theriverissinging Yes! Plus quoting for within a thread.

RarelyCharlie April 5th, 2022
Some issues related to posting:
  • Some posts have no Reply button. You can still reply, obviously, by clicking the nearest Reply button above and tagging the right person, so the missing buttons are a bug.
  • When you are composing a reply, you can't scroll the thread to read it, or copy and paste from it. (You have to open the same thread in another tab.) The editor does support inline editing, so this is a bug.
  • Some formatting is censored. For example, we don't have a way to use common formatting features like quotes and tables. The editor and the site do support these features. It's the forum that censors them.
  • Some content is censored even though it is within the rules. This makes posting unnecessarily challenging for some members who need to write about difficult topics. You can still post whatever you like, obviously, by disguising certain words, so this is a bug.
  • Some content is not censored even though it is against the rules. For example, duplicate posts could be detected but aren't. Spam from new members who post links to commercial websites could be detected but isn't.
  • When you compose a reply that will disappear inside a long thread so that no one is ever likely to see it, there is no warning.
  • There is no easy way to add a signature to all your posts, as you can in other Internet forums.
  • There is no good way to maintain a large taglist, ensuring that the people on it are still active.
  • There is no good way to require structured replies (for applications and surveys). You have to use Google Forms instead.
  • There is no general way to restrict access (for example, to certain people or to holders of certain badges).
  • There is no way to lock a thread, leaving it visible but readonly. For example, some threads are obsolete but people keep adding replies and hoping for a response.

Charlie

theriverissinging OP April 20th, 2022

Suggestion - Bring back the option to report users for spam while deleting their replies to threads. Not sure why it was removed. (Can report a whole thread as spam but not just replies)

AffyAvo April 20th, 2022

@theriverissinging Ooh they added options a little while ago and then removed them (along with Spam for some reason).

AffyAvo April 20th, 2022

When looking at numerous threads:

- Do not have blank pages. For example, if you go to a Subcommunity and sort by Needs Reply in many of them it appears that there are pages and pages of threads that need to be responded to when there are actually only 1 or 2.

- Allow the ability to jump to later pages/the last page. Some ways of sorting allow the ability to jump to the last page, not all do. When they do not they max out at 15. To get to page 16, 20, 30 etc. one needs to go page by page. It cannot even be typed into the URL, unlike when a jump to last page button is an option.

AffyAvo April 26th, 2022

The editing issue is back.

CheeryMango April 27th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Are you experiencing a delay in edits showing up after you have edited? What about an API error?

AffyAvo April 28th, 2022

@CheeryMango I get this error message when trying to edit:

Missing required param(s): postID, postMessage

AffyAvo April 29th, 2022

I can edit sometimes, not others.

For example, in this thread I am unable to edit my own post. And now I can edit again. It's weird, refreshing seems to let me.

But still not the below thread, even with refreshing.

https://www.7cups.com/forum/DisabilitySupport_47/InterviewSeriesInclusivityDiaries_2386/CallForApplicationsToBeInterviewed_276642/

AffyAvo April 29th, 2022

@AffyAvo Aaand ditto for the above post.

I was going to add in, it's not just my post in that thread, it's anyone's.

I just edited my own post that was new in a different thread though.

QuietMagic April 30th, 2022

The censor warning for forum posts should have a clearer message at the top.

My initial reaction upon seeing it was that the site was experiencing a bug, and it took me a little while to realize that what it actually meant to tell me was that something in my post was tripping the censor.

_1651325507.image.png

AffyAvo May 6th, 2022

A better search function. Many years ago, we used to be able to search within a specific forum, it would be great to have this for the SCs.

Also, be able to choose to search titles, opening posts, all posts. Use of boolean operators like AND and ""

Include standard sorting options, newest to oldest, reverse order, maybe we could have more like searching for the post with the word self care that has the most upvotes/hearts. Or search by most # of posts in a thread.

See all posts by a specific user. If privacy is a concern, maybe only enable for those with moderation privileges? At the very least it would be nice to be able to seek out all spam by 1 person who has posted spam that was caught.

AffyAvo June 28th, 2022

Forum thread deletions don't seem to be working. It removed the thread from the list of threads, but if I use the link I can still access it.

ETA - just one thread, tried my own and it worked fine.

theriverissinging OP June 28th, 2022

this is the bug for which I submitted a ticket earlier, the delete button not working in forum flag queue and once someone deletes it out from the queue, it says deleted but the post is there just with no reply button, etc. and can't delete it then.

AffyAvo July 5th, 2022

Oooh I like the new way to move threads around. Might not be brand new, it's been a while since I moved any.