Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

March 2020 Community Update: Recovery, Resilience and Growth

GlenM March 31st, 2020

All,

We have been thinking about you and your loved ones. We are hoping you are all safe and okay. This is a difficult time right now. I am thankful for all of you and very glad we have this strong community of people to rely upon.

Much of this last month has been focused on strengthening our community and finding ways to support people through COVID-19. We wrote much of this up here, so I wont provide too much detail. In brief, we ramped back up our translation efforts, opened a group support room, and also launched a new area of the forum to support people on quarantine. Excellent work to all involved and a special thank you to @RicochetJaguar for help here!

For my part of the update, I wanted to share some good news with you. Since the beginning of the year, 7 Cups has started to gain real strength and significantly grow again.

Here is context - all startups go through ups and downs. One area that has been up and then gradually down for a while are measures of community engagement (number of messages, conversations, forum posts, group messages etc.). Broadly, when we started in 2013, we saw a steep climb (meaning we were quickly growing) on all of these measures through 2016. Then, as we started running out of money, we had to switch focus and learn how to generate our own revenue. We figured that out, but it came at the expense of further helping to grow community engagement and strength. The pattern was up, up, up, then plateauing and then gradually down since 2017. The downward trajectory was not pronounced, but it was incrementally flat to down.

Things started to change at the end of last year / beginning of 2020. As a direct result of our community team, ambassadors, mods and other community leaders, we saw the downward trend stop and things start to flatten out. Then, thankfully, we slowly started to see signals of strength and growth emerge. This was encouraging because we were all working very hard to turn things around.

As outlined in the community updates (December, January, February), starting with a return to community in November, we have made around 50 updates in this time and launched many new initiatives. All of these changes started to come together about 2 months ago. And now, at long last, we see the result of our collective efforts resulting in a strong and growing stronger community. Whats more, this is growth that is directly tied to our new initiatives. Some of the increase is also due to the natural anxiety/concern about COVID, but we are mostly able to bracket that out to get a better understanding of the new underlying growth.

I am thankful to see this strength and growth. We have not seen it since 2017. You can see it in the community engagement metrics I mentioned above, but you can also hear it in what people say. Listeners that have been here for years are saying that our community is returning back to how it was years ago. Not to say there are still not challenges (we know there are), but people feel that same energy they used to feel. Some sense it as stronger and some sense it as 10 or 20% below where it once was, but still considerably higher up than when it was last year.

Hats off to all involved in the hard work invested in strengthening our community. It has been extraordinarily difficult for many of us, but we have worked together, aligned, and we have turned things around.

I am proud of our collective efforts. One of our staff members said it best - we are on point. We have a sense of urgency and accountability and we are quickly moving things forward. It is great to see.

A few key stats to share:

--Messages/conversations are up over 73% since our low last year. That means our community is supporting 73% more supportive conversations than we were months ago. That is remarkable.

--Sub-community/forum stats: In the past 4 months, our forums (sub-community forums and forum sections) have seen a strong rise of 43%. This is no coincidence, it's the result of the collective efforts of our leaders and participants. This is the results of YOUR efforts.

--Group support messages are up 55.49% - Group support is becoming increasingly central to the work we do at 7 Cups. The moderators have been doing an amazing job on all fronts. GTKY and Sharing Circles are a big hit and making a significant impact.

Updates from H

Hi, everyone!

As Glen mentioned, we have kickstarted our translations efforts by relaunching the Translations Project! We started at the beginning of the month and I am blown away by the amount of interest the communitys shown. In under a month, we have recruited roughly 80 contributors (and more every day), and we are a little over halfway completed with the languages were currency translating! Weve still got a long way to go, but were making incredible progress, thanks to your selfless dedication to bringing global support to our platform! As we complete languages, we will be uploading them to the site. To speed up the process to get globalized support across the platform, we are bringing on @SoulfullyAButterfly as our Translations Project Coordinator! Look forward to the official announcement soon!

If youre interested in taking part in the project as a translator and/or proofreader, hop over to this tab!

Updates from Hope

Since the last monthly update here is what the teams have been up to!

The sub-community team has been hard at work to ensure that all sub-communities have active leaders. Three new leaders joined YPOC, Student & Career Support and Eating Disorders. The self-harm sub-community is hosting a month long self-harm awareness event that ends on 31st March. On 21st March, the student and career support sub-community celebrated world poetry day. Last but not least, the sub-community ambassador @tazzie has been hard at work to plan many sub-community collaborations for the month of April, stay tuned to see the celebration of stress awareness month and a volunteer appreciation day amongst other events.

On the forum front, The forum team relaunched the needs reply team with the support of @Lucy2, the goal of this team is to ensure that everyone is heard and replied to. It is an important measure to increase support in these difficult times. Additionally, @RicochetJaguar and @DaveMcGrath among others have been consistently providing support and resources in the Covid-19 forum category. The forum team is prioritising support in the Coronavirus forum space. We are thankful to all those who are supporting and seeking support during these challenging times.

In the Internship Project, since the last update 25 listeners successfully completed their internship trial and became active Interns. 12 more interns successfully completed their internship and became intern graduates, four of which graduated with Honors! Additionally, over 60 interns joined the internship Program and are in the trial phase. Last not not least, The Internship sub-community has been consistently hosting forum ice-breaker sessions to provide interns with the opportunity to relax and destress.

Last but not least, The Teen community has been working together in supporting each other. The teen sub-communities have seen more engagement as a result of collective efforts of the teen leadership team and the sub-community ambassador. We have introduced spin the wheel of questions, ice-breaker and writing prompts posts among many other opportunities to engage in fun events. Additionally, now the teens can be a co-host in any of the community mod led discussions. Lastly, Two more volunteers have joined us in our efforts to engage the teen listener room. We are consistently working to provide more discussions for the members and the listeners of our teen community.

Updates from Obs

Sharing Circles

We started Sharing Circle Sessions to have an inclusive and support based format of group discussions. Everyone is welcome to share their emotions, experiences and story in rotation.

The current schedule of the sessions are-

Morning Sessions -

Get to know you (Adults) - 11.00 am EDT

Sharing Circles (Adults) - 12.00 pm EDT

Sharing Circles (Teens) - 1.00 pm EDT

Get to know you (Teens) - 2.00 pm EDT

Evening Sessions

Get to know you (Adults) - 7.00 pm EDT

Sharing Circles (Adults) - 8.00 pm EDT

Sharing Circles (Teens) - 9.00 pm EDT

Get to know you (Teens) - 10.00 pm EDT

You can find a time zone converter here.

Learn more about Sharing Circles here! If you have any questions about the Get to know you and Sharing Circles Session, please share your thoughts in the comments of this post.

Revival of 7Cups Community Account

It was an initiative 7Cups started earlier to improve communication and relationship with the community. It was paused for a few months. But, now we are back at your service. You can ask certain questions by tagging @7CupsCommunity and the team will answer it. You can tag @7CupsCommunity when

You have a question about the site or you are unclear on a guideline

You are curious about a site update

Someone did something awesome and you think they deserve a high five

You'd like to share an idea

You'd like to report a bug

To learn about it, you can read here!!

COVID-19 Support

As we are experiencing COVID-19 pandemic in different regions, we understand and relate with your challenges, experiences and emotions. During this challenge, you are not alone. We are committed to provide you a safe space to talk and get support.

We have launched a dedicated COVID-19 Support Room. It will be opened 24/7 to talk, discuss, share and get support. For further info, you can check this thread. Also, we introduced support sessions and guided discussions on COVID.

Opportunity to host support sessions and guided discussions

We noticed how you all support and listen to each other. So, we introduced an initiative where any member or listener meeting certain criteria can become a discussion leader in the community to host support sessions and lead guided discussions. The goal of this initiative is to have more supportive discussions on varied topics to ensure all discuss, learn, support and have fun together.

To learn more about this opportunity, this post can be helpful.

Social Media Channels Revival

We are back on social media. After a pause, we are active now on our social media channels to stay connected with you. To stay tuned with our posts and updates, you can subscribe or follow us on these channels -

Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TwitterTeens and Facebook!!

Last but not the least: we are so proud of our community. It is a perfect example of unity in diversity. Keep up the good teamwork!!

OceanChild March 31st, 2020

Way to go! @RicochetJaguar @DaveMcGrath

kindSoul10 March 31st, 2020

Congratulations everyone for your hard work!

As I'm supporting listeners with training for room supporter role, I want to add how much I'm proud of the amazing dedication in taking the training process. I'm very impressed with the thoughtful answers to the training questions! I'm confident room supporters are doing an amazing job! Keep it up!

Also special thanks to all Support team leaders and Community mentor leaders for onboarding and further training.

Thanks to @Tazzie who supports us a lot by helping out in onboarding listeners in communities without CML.

Thanks to @brilliantturtle , @Wendy and @Asilentobserver for their companionship and support in GSML duties.

Tagging: @ASilentObserver, @AveryLove
@Ayla
@CaringBrit & @GrahZeymahzin
@CharmingTime
@emsworld
@InternalAcceptance/ @PenguinPower31
@Peter1447
@Peter1447
@Power & @Heather225
@rebecca947
@RicochetJaguar
@RumpleSteeleSkin
@Sibafo
@soulsings
@Tazzie
@VickyP
@vivelespatates
@Weedygarden

SoulSupporter102 March 31st, 2020

This is amazing! Thank you Glen and hope. As well I congratulate Jaguar and Dave on how far they have come and for the great support network you all are creating! I'm thankful for our community! Well done everyone! <3

DaveMcGrath March 31st, 2020

A big thank you to Ricochetjaguar and heather225 for their help. Stay strong everyone, wash your hands, stay home, eat well, sleep well, and be part of the process of flattening the curve.

This will all be over before you know it.

mikenaiwc April 1st, 2020

wow.. just wow. I totally dont know what to say. i can comprehen the ups and downs and the need for trials and attempts to see what works, what fits, what's best. Thank you so much for the effort and countless hours to improve the community for everyone.

D0ty April 1st, 2020

@GlenM

LexIris April 1st, 2020

@GlenM

Awesome work everyone! I also noticed the social media revival. I saw two 7 Cups posts in my Instagram feed this week and I was like "Oh. It's back now?"

I'm just happy that we've been able to accomplish this much laugh

bouncySalamander26 April 1st, 2020

@LexIris

I was surprised too, to see a 7Cups post on the feed! I am glad to have it back on!

TheAtticusFinch April 1st, 2020

Thank you all for your hard work to make 7 cups a safe and loving community for everyone <3 stay safe.

lyricalAngel70 April 1st, 2020

@GlenM

I am blessed to be a part of such a platform. Congratulations to all the people who have contributed and worked hard to make this happen. Loads of love. Stay Safe! โค

bouncySalamander26 April 1st, 2020

@GlenM @RicochetJaguar @Heather225 @Hope @ASilentObserver @DaveMcGrath @tazzie @Lucy2 @SoulfullyAButterfly

Wow, this is a tremendous amount of work all of you have undertaken! Thank you for keeping our Communities safe, while also ensuring that we progress on all fronts!

The Community here notices and sincerely appreciates your whole-hearted efforts. Words cannot express how grateful we are to have such a dynamic team administrating the platform!

A humungous thank you to all of you!!!

SoulfullyAButterfly April 1st, 2020

@bouncySalamander26 thank you, the best part of taking on community roles is the awesome support and appreciation alongside seeing the impact of our efforts.

Robbiemoreno713 April 2nd, 2020

@bouncySalamander26 can someone help me cope with my addiction please ?

Robbiemoreno713 April 3rd, 2020

@bouncySalamander26 is there anyone or anywhere I can go to seek help in this journey to sobriety ? Please

bouncySalamander26 April 3rd, 2020

@Robbiemoreno713 Hey Robbie! I am glad to see you reach out! Firstly, I should probably tell you that listeners on 7Cups, are not the same as mental health professionals, and if you feel that you want to reach out to a therapist: https://www.7cups.com/therapists/ That being said, we do have an Addiction Support Community - with a subcommunity for Alcoholic addiction-where you can check-in, post your experience and read others' experiences-essentially, gaining a sense of community. I am attaching a few links that you might find helpful: https://www.7cups.com/alcohol-drug-abuse/ - 7Cups' Self Help Guide on Alcohol and Drug Abuse https://www.7cups.com/forum/AddictionSupportCommunity_131/ResourcesforAddiction_724/ - A crowdsourced collection of Resources for general Addiction. https://www.7cups.com/forum/AddictionSupportCommunity_131/GeneralAddictionSupport_725/InPersonOnlineSupportGroupLibrary_106055/ - And a list of online support groups (Alcohol addiction is given as a subcategory) Alongside this, if you wish to speak 1-1 with a listener on 7Cups, you can put out a General Request or a Personal Request (although, please check if they are comfortable with the topic)! I wish you luck and great will power in this journey <3

bouncySalamander26 April 3rd, 2020

@Robbiemoreno713

//previous reply lost indentation while posting-repost

Hey Robbie! I am glad to see you reach out! Firstly, I should probably tell you that listeners on 7Cups, are not the same as mental health professionals, and if you feel that you want to reach out to a therapist: https://www.7cups.com/therapists/

That being said, we do have an Addiction Support Community - with a subcommunity for Alcoholic Addiction-where you can check-in, post your experience and read others' experiences-essentially, gaining a sense of community.

I am attaching a few links that you might find helpful:

1) https://www.7cups.com/alcohol-drug-abuse/ - 7Cups' Self Help Guide on Alcohol and Drug Abuse

2) https://www.7cups.com/forum/AddictionSupportCommunity_131/ResourcesforAddiction_724/ - A crowdsourced collection of Resources for general Addiction.

3)https://www.7cups.com/forum/AddictionSupportCommunity_131/GeneralAddictionSupport_725/InPersonOnlineSupportGroupLibrary_106055/ - And a list of online support groups (Alcohol addiction is given as a subcategory)

Alongside this, if you wish to speak 1-1 with a listener on 7Cups, you can put out a General Request or a Personal Request (although, please check if they are comfortable with the topic)!

I wish you luck and great will power in this journey <3

Sheikhzone468 April 10th, 2020

@bouncySalamander26 you're right, they are the best

Thank you, all of you

RicochetJaguar April 1st, 2020

Thank you @GlenM @Hope and everyone else who has left such kind comments! It's a team effort to get things to where we are, @VickyP and I have been having a great time working together on the CoVID-19 Support project! @DaveMcGrath has been invaluable too with posting such great content and getting involved in all aspects of this project we are working on!

If anyone is interested in getting involved in our CoVID-19 support team in group support and/or the forums, please drop me a pm and we will see where you can help!

DaveMcGrath April 3rd, 2020

@RicochetJaguar

Thank you for taking the time out of what must be a very busy schedule to help get this thing launched. Your knowledge of how to proceed on 7 cups has proven useful. Stay safe and that thing I said I'd write up will be finished today, not in "a few days".

:P

LostScorpio April 9th, 2020

@DaveMcGrath

lavenderpeach1107 April 1st, 2020

@GlenM Thank you for the information my friend heart

Tyedyedbutterfly65 April 1st, 2020

@GlenM They are all awesome team players and many more !! Great Job to all and thanks so much !!

Goldcherry2113 April 3rd, 2020

Thank you for all the hard work you guys do.

Skyy0 April 4th, 2020

Hi Glen and everyone! I want to applaud you for how things have thoroughly ilmproved! New things always get some getting used to. There's not 100% love for the sharing circles at the moment, as it seems... dismissive at times if it's the wrong people in the chat. It just is a boring time, maybe, because listeners and members want to ask further questions but have no time to delve into any specific topic with them. I guess we can limit the amount of people allowed to share if we want to allow more back and forth talking? Nothing's perfect, everyhing is a learning process. I get it. I haven't been online regularly since September of last year I believe, and I don't know why community group support chat Calendar is gone? Maybe it's my phone glitching, may I get the link? And who didn't like the idea of having your own "feed" like Facebook, where we can put hashtags and positive quotes on our page, as well as share knowledge.

cyanPlatypus6370 April 21st, 2020

Hi dear Sky!!! You are describing several things that I had concerns about. First, though ... the Community Calendar ...

https://www.7cups.com/home/communityCalendar.php It does still exist! :) I didn't ever trust it very much before, but the leaders of the discussion/group chats seem to be attending and being on time more, here recently. There are a few ways to find the calendar. The easiest I think is, from start page - click on "Community" (just after "Chat" at the top of the page). Then click on "Calendar" - it is a little bit harder to find - scroll down a bit and there's a wide line across the page. It is a yellow/peach color right now. Says: Forum , Chatrooms , Wiki , Calendar , Q&A , About . Yes, that "Calendar" - there it is!

Any time I see someone like you here, who addresses the missing of the "Feed" - the massive one and each personal one - I will try to speak up there too. I miss the Feed a lot, Sky. For all of those reasons you've listed! Not only did my work, time, and thought put into my *Growth Path* have somewhere to get 'posted;' also others could read it - which gave me a larger sense of responsibility to actually do whatever my growth step was about that day. If my 'Small Simple Step' was out there for the 7cups world to see, but then by noon the next day or before getting into bed (or whichever deadline I'd put in the Step), I could expect to be asked about it (I mean I knew that if I was asked about it...). See, I feel that I have not enough accountability here IRL, so 7cups members and listeners were helping me with that - even though y'all probably didn't know! [ @Moj and our lovely group in the MCR - the "real" MCR (the old one with @kindDay4067), not this one we have now. ]

@Skyy0, I'd like to tell you: I am glad you've returned! And I agree that things around here have changed A LOT since - well lots of big changes started around the first week of Nov 2019. And @Laura and @Kate (llamas!!!), if you ever see this ... I miss you two, too! heartheart and of course many hearts to Queen Coco. Hugs to you all! Skyy0, hugs for you too smiley Platy

oh btw @7cupsCommunity - thank you for addressing that, Glen(?). Another listener and I were just wondering if we could write to or give Qs to 7cupsCommunity (really! like yesterday or Saturday!). I have a better answer now. Thank you! I'm still not sure if it was gone, but either way - I *know* I am glad the 'link' has been turned on and we can direct Qs or ideas to @7cupsCommunity!

Moj April 23rd, 2020

@cyanPlatypus6370 I miss our MCR too Platy! We had many, many, many good times in there! ๐Ÿ˜Š And yes...I very much miss the feed too. Was a delightful place, and a place I always felt I could be myself even when I was struggling...actually especially when I was struggling. Sending hugs to you Platy! ๐Ÿ’—

cyanPlatypus6370 April 23rd, 2020

Dear @Moj, thank you! I think from a few weeks ago through to now and on going ... I think I will appreciate even 'virtual' or long distance hugs so so much more now. Are you doing well? Where have you been hiding - I've not seen you for awhile. Prayers and positive thoughts for this Platy? I am sick - well, kind of? I have been to the gen.practice doctor 2 of the last 3 weeks. They have yet to do any blood tests. I have an awful cough and sore throat (correction: very sore throat). When my allergies flare up, my allergy doc says it will look like a cold. And then on top, I do have a cold. True, I do need to take care of myself better. Probably starting with more sleep at the night/overnight time. And second, eating better could help too. I am actually thankful that my counselor is not trying to get me to work really hard here recently. And I am very thankful that I can/we can meet in person sometimes. Do take good care of yourself, Moj, ok? Drink more water! and Breathe deeply. Sending many hugs and <3 too! Platy

DarcyFw April 6th, 2020

I feel trapped

April 10th, 2020

smiley@GlenM

DarcyFw September 8th, 2020

I am so tired of fighting everyday.