Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Listeners - Ghost Chats

AffyAvo December 15th, 2019

I know listeners complain about ghost chats, but I think it's worse that listeners do this.

Listeners get to pick the person. Listeners do not have long to wait after picking up a GR, sometimes there can be a slight delay to connect but it's rare for it to take more than 30s.

So why do they not say anything?

I do report these listeners, so if you are doing this don't think you get off messing with the GR queue with no consequences! I encourage other members to do the same! EIther by blocking, filling out a 'submit a request' form or emailing community@7cups.com

@7CupsCommunity

RarelyCharlie December 15th, 2019

@AffyAvo I agree. When a listener ghosts a member it's much worse.

What happens to the listeners you report, I wonder? Do they disappear from 7 Cups? Do they learn the lesson?

In theory the system could be programmed to detect when a listener ghosts a member or abandons a chat, and it could suspend the listener automatically. But 7 Cups seems to flounder when faced with these challenges, like it's a tech startup that can't do tech.

Charlie

AffyAvo OP December 15th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie I agree it should be automatic, especially when done multiple times. Yes, a listener might have connection issues so I wouldn't blanket it for every instance but they shouldn't take a member out of the GRs 2x without saying anything that should an automatic suspension as they could just respond to a message rather then take the GR a 2nd time.

IntrovertedDreamer73409 December 17th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

""A tech startup that can't do tech"

Couldn't sum it up better if I wanted to.

SparkyGizmo December 15th, 2019

@AffyAvo

I guess, from my experience as a listener, I don't get to pick the person if I turn my green light on and go to online. People would do a "personal request" for a listener at that point. Ghost chats can happen then as well as when picking up a chat from the grs. I hear listeners speak of this and indeed, it is quite frustrating.

But I agree with with you! I would think that it is 10 fold worse when this happens to a member! If the listener is online and has made themselves available, I see no reason to ignore a member or if a listener selects a member from the grs. I could only see that happening if listener has spent time with a member prior, the member is making a personal request of them and for some reason the listener feels as if they aren't the right fit for the member. Even if that happens, the listener should be more professional, explain that they feel as if they are not the right fit for the member and then ask them to go to the browse listener page or try to transfer the chat in the LSR if someone is available.

I'm sorry this is happening to you! You deserve better!

AbbyHarris1976 December 22nd, 2019

I think it

SilentSerenityy December 30th, 2019

@AffyAvo

I don't think it's always done intentionally. New listeners, I believe, are set to online when they join (might have been changed now though) so they may get a new chat when they're not familiar with the site yet. Some seem to forget what status they've left their account on and may leave the site, forgetting to change it (maybe 7 cups could implement a pop up before they try to leave saying that they should change their status first?). Or they get distracted whilst waiting for a chat request or they're too busy (which is their fault, not yours). There's many reasons, but it is a serious issue that needs to be sorted!

AffyAvo OP December 30th, 2019

@SilentSerenityy Statuses have nothing to do with picking up a chat though. Someone can do so whether set to offline, busy or online.

AffyAvo OP January 10th, 2020

I find I don't get responses from the Community account anymore.

@GlenM is anyone doing anything about this? I feel like this is becoming more problematic with the GRs.

AffyAvo OP January 15th, 2020

@Hope over the past week I'm hitting 50% of the GRs I send as having this issue.

Hope January 15th, 2020

@AffyAvo

I am sorry that happened, sounds frustrating. Please send me any usernames you may have of listeners who are consistently doing this. The community team will look into it further to address it on a broader scale. We appreciate your feedback!