Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion: Bios - Offsite Contact

January 20th

Hi everyone! 😊

Welcome to part two of a 3-part series of Safety Discussions on bios. The first part, about bio basics, can be found here

As mentioned in our earlier discussion on offsite contact, offsite contact - sharing of personal contact details, social media information, addresses etc. - is prohibited on 7 Cups. 

That is because once a connection between two users moves off 7 Cups to either other sites or in-person, we can no longer protect you. You are on your own, and there is a high risk of dangerous situations, like bullying, stalking, harassment etc., to name just a few.

You may notice in 1-1 chats and rooms that the names of some popular social media sites are censored. This is done to minimize chances of offsite contact.

In this discussion, we will be focusing on the offsite contact within profile bios. There are some things which fall under the offsite contact category, which cannot be included in our bios. 

1. Putting any identifying information in your bio

Example: full name, university name, company name, town/city name

1. The same applies to contact information too

Example: phone number, home address, email address, social media profile links, links to personal websites

1. Social media invite links

Example: invite links to group chat on a messaging app, links to video/audio chat 

1. Links advertising products/services or spam links (more about it in next discussion)

1. Links for monetary transactions. Read more here 

1. Finally, for listeners who have been using tools like YouCanBookMe, to allow members to book scheduled chats, kindly note that use of YouCanBookMe has been discontinued recently, as they now mandatorily require exchanging email addresses, which is against guidelines for confidentiality. More about it here

This time, instead of usual questions, I’ve created a short and easy quiz for you to test your knowledge on offsite contact and what to do if you spot links related to offsite in bios!

I encourage you to take the quiz here

Do share your score here in this thread and also tag a few of your 7 Cups friends to take the quiz!

Our Ambassador @Rebakah has also written about their experiences with offsite contact. You can read more about it here

If you have spotted a profile that needs to be flagged, feel free to message one of the Safety Patrol members with the username here

For any queries on Safety (flagging/outreaching/discussions), you’re welcome to message tommy or Rebekah!

Resources for further reading 👇:

(all text in blue are clickable)

KatePersephone January 20th

@AuRewolf yay! just completed the quiz

i scored 9/10 :3

January 20th

@KateDoskocilova

Yay, 9/10 is awesome!

January 20th

Tagging the Safety Team!

@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @LightsFromDark @iPHOENIX @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Rui00 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999 @sweetmikayla @DanCat1128

@AuRewolf

Thank you for putting this together, so many wonderful extra-resources linked here as well.❤

Ooh and great quiz, scored 10/10. 

January 21st

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Sun ☀️

You're welcome! And awesome score! 

pandanfe January 20th

@AuRewolf

hehehe 10/10 XD

And thank you for making safety rules fun to remember through challenges...

January 21st

@pandanfe

My pleasure, and thanks for taking the quiz 😊

Hamstermum January 20th

Excellent quiz and a good reminder of what we should and shouldn't be doing to keep ourselves safe on 7 cups.

January 21st

@Hamstermum

Agreed with you, Hamstermum!

LoveMyMoonflowers January 20th

@AuRewolf

this is awesome :3 i got an 8/10

January 21st

@LoveMyMoonflowers

8/10 is a nice score, Ni! Thanks for taking the quiz!

mytwistedsoul January 20th

10/10 

SleepyPersonForever January 20th

Woohoo 10/10 😎

cloudySummer January 20th

Not taking the quiz for privacy reasons.

Are you 100% sure about the mandatory email address? A listener I know has tested it, and it's incorrect.

cloudySummer January 20th

(haven't tested myself, but they seem competent)

January 21st

@cloudySummer

If you are talking about mandatory email address for the quiz, then it doesn't collect email addresses. I've made sure of that.

It's understandable if you don't wish to take the quiz :)

cloudySummer January 21st

@AuRewolf No, I'm talking about item 6:

"Finally, for listeners who have been using tools like YouCanBookMe, to allow members to book scheduled chats, kindly note that use of YouCanBookMe has been discontinued recently, as they now mandatorily require exchanging email addresses, which is against guidelines for confidentiality. More about it here"

It is possible that that is wrong information, as an email address does *NOT* seem to be required.

January 21st

@cloudySummer

I see. I haven't tested it either. Tagging @Heather225 for clarification 😊

Heather225 January 22nd

@AuRewolf

@cloudySummer

For long-standing users of YCBM email is not required, but for all new signups email is now required, so that's what was creating the confusion. We decided for the safety of everyone to discontinue use of it.

cloudySummer January 23rd

@Heather225 So, members contacting new listeners need to leave an email address, and members connecting people who are on the platform for a long time already don't need to do that?

Because I have never used YCBM before, and I was just able to book an appointment with my listener without giving an email address.

Maybe it's a setting?

Bunnylovesyou January 20th

@AuRewolf

10/10 (:

WeEarth January 21st

@AuRewolf

Scored 9/10. Thank you for this quiz 😊

CaringSub January 21st

@AuRewolf

10/10 :)

friendlyPillow980 January 22nd

@AuRewolf